2024 top 20

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: 2024 top 20

Post by coda »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:48 am
coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am
Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 am Thanks for pulling this together, Joe Willie!

How close would Colgate have to keep it against Cuse tonight to crack your top 20? Two goals? Three goals? This is assuming that Colgate can defeat Hobart this weekend, which, of course is not a slam dunk.
Interesting question? This always brings up the debate about "good" losses of which I am in the corner of, their is no such thing as a good loss. ANY loss is bad.
That being said, beating PSU on the road was amazing, and my eye test showed that Colgate was just as athletic, and as skilled as PSU.
Can't wait to see tonight's game and possibly get a real feel for Colgate. Let's face it, a win over the Cuse wouldn't even just squeak Colgate into the top 20, but would probably propel them easily into the top 15.
Close loss? Sorry, not making my top 20 yet.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
If Colgate wins, you have to put them in the top 10. I dont think it will last, but they have to go in the top 10
According to DraftKings, Cuse is an 8-goal favorite tonight. True David vs. Goliath matchup. I might advocate for Colgate to "receive votes" if they stay within 3 of Cuse and go on to beat Hobart. The fact that Kohn appeared to tweak his wrist against Vermont would be more concerning if their backup wasn't so good. But overall, I agree with JW and the NCAA selection committee that there is no such thing as a good loss.
I have 0 issues with anyone that wants to put Colgate in the polls right now. Based on this weekend Colgate should be ranked above PSU. I dont really agree with the "no such thing as a good loss". I would be way more impressed with OT loss vs Duke or Virginia, than beating Marist by 1 goal. Its not good to lose, but you should consider the overall play of the game based on the opponent.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I have said this many times. When Cornell LOSES in double OT to the #1 team in the country OR beats the bottom ranked team in D1, by 1 goal, I still feel much better with that "bad" win, than I do with that "good" loss.
Sorry, I hate losing to anyone. WINNING is such a good feeling, no matter who it's against.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
coda

Post by coda »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:21 am I have said this many times. When Cornell LOSES in double OT to the #1 team in the country OR beats the bottom ranked team in D1, by 1 goal, I still feel much better with that "bad" win, than I do with that "good" loss.
Sorry, I hate losing to anyone. WINNING is such a good feeling, no matter who it's against.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
I totally agree with that, but my point is more to polls and ranking teams. You have to rank the wins and the loses in terms of quality.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:21 am I have said this many times. When Cornell LOSES in double OT to the #1 team in the country OR beats the bottom ranked team in D1, by 1 goal, I still feel much better with that "bad" win, than I do with that "good" loss.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
I totally agree with that, but my point is more to polls and ranking teams. You have to rank the wins and the loses in terms of quality.
Yup, I agree.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gobigred
Joewillie78

As a fan, I agree.

As a player, I didn’t.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am Let's face it, a win over the Cuse wouldn't even just squeak Colgate into the top 20, but would probably propel them easily into the top 15.
Wins over the preseason #4 and #12 teams in the span of 3 days? I'd absolutely say they belong in the top 10.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 am Thanks for pulling this together, Joe Willie!

How close would Colgate have to keep it against Cuse tonight to crack your top 20? Two goals? Three goals? This is assuming that Colgate can defeat Hobart this weekend, which, of course is not a slam dunk.
We’ve got to restructure the D for this season but I still expect a win. Know what I saw last year form both teams and who’s returning on an unplayable field that cost us multiple players for multiple games and Karweck oulled a scumbag move so we are highly motivated to put them 6’ under in the dome this weekend regardless of what they did last week. You won’t have to worry about the “where do we rank Colgate” discussion soon. It’ll be the “should Hobart be ranked after beating Colgate and Cornell” discussion ;)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
So you’re saying you watch the 09 finals daily liek yoga in the morning?
See Martin, Malcolm
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:10 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
That game brings back nightmares and in reality, 2 games this weekend, Hopkins and PSU, where they could have done what Cornell should have done, also brought back the Memories.

I was screaming at my TV, at the player, and I forget who it was for Cornell, that as soon as the ref, gave the signal to run the clock, to take 1 step and then Fire that ball as high and as far toward the SYRACUSE net. Apparently, after this weekend, Tambroni still hasn't learned.

9 seconds, the darn ball would have been in the air at least 5, and then for Syracuse to get it and try to fire long range at the Cornell net is next to impossible.

The equivalent in the NFL is brain dead PETE CARROLL, with a TIMEOUT left not handing the ball to Marshon Lynch, who was killing the Patriots at the 2 yard line, instead getting cute and has Wilson throw the worst pass in SB history, for a pick.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:48 am
coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am

Interesting question? This always brings up the debate about "good" losses of which I am in the corner of, their is no such thing as a good loss. ANY loss is bad.
That being said, beating PSU on the road was amazing, and my eye test showed that Colgate was just as athletic, and as skilled as PSU.
Can't wait to see tonight's game and possibly get a real feel for Colgate. Let's face it, a win over the Cuse wouldn't even just squeak Colgate into the top 20, but would probably propel them easily into the top 15.
Close loss? Sorry, not making my top 20 yet.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
If Colgate wins, you have to put them in the top 10. I dont think it will last, but they have to go in the top 10
According to DraftKings, Cuse is an 8-goal favorite tonight. True David vs. Goliath matchup. I might advocate for Colgate to "receive votes" if they stay within 3 of Cuse and go on to beat Hobart. The fact that Kohn appeared to tweak his wrist against Vermont would be more concerning if their backup wasn't so good. But overall, I agree with JW and the NCAA selection committee that there is no such thing as a good loss.
Yeah the freshman Mullen was impressive. Big powerful kid.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:10 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
That game brings back nightmares and in reality, 2 games this weekend, Hopkins and PSU, where they could have done what Cornell should have done, also brought back the Memories.

I was screaming at my TV, at the player, and I forget who it was for Cornell, that as soon as the ref, gave the signal to run the clock, to take 1 step and then Fire that ball as high and as far toward the SYRACUSE net. Apparently, after this weekend, Tambroni still hasn't learned.

9 seconds, the darn ball would have been in the air at least 5, and then for Syracuse to get it and try to fire long range at the Cornell net is next to impossible.

The equivalent in the NFL is brain dead PETE CARROLL, with a TIMEOUT left not handing the ball to Marshon Lynch, who was killing the Patriots at the 2 yard line, instead getting cute and has Wilson throw the worst pass in SB history, for a pick.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
In hindsight do you recall the Hobart game end of 09? we nearly won it being down heavy late. Jeff Colburn pinged a crossbar that would’ve tied it with about ten seconds left. I’m thinking now that team was suspect to late fatigue in some way (execution not necessarily athleticism)- we also started 5-0 that year including smashing both Gtown and a solid Bucknell squad and finished 7-7…

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2009/5/2/ ... 90408.aspx

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... xscore/289
See Martin, Malcolm
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I remember that game very well. It was a beautiful day and that Cornell team was loaded. Your goalie stood on his head all day. In reality, the best team on the field that day, didn't win.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

My new week 2 top 20, and again, not disparaging Hobart or Colgate but it won't impact my top 20:
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Denver
8. Yale
9. Army
10. Johns Hopkins
11. Penn State
12. Princeton
13. Penn
14. Rutgers
15. North Carolina
16. Ohio State
17. Delaware
18. Marquette
19. Boston University
20. Loyola

Michigan and Georgetown now out of top 20 and Loyola barely hanging on. Things will drastically change next week when ivys start.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Disappointing Saturday for those of us who like top-20 chaos as the "chalk" held serve. Hopefully the Ivy opening next week can mix things up like I mix metaphors.

"If it wasn't for disappointments I wouldn't have any appointments..."-TMBG
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:14 am Disappointing Saturday for those of us who like top-20 chaos as the "chalk" held serve. Hopefully the Ivy opening next week can mix things up like I mix metaphors.

Yes, pretty chalky at the top. Obviously Georgetown and Michigan had the roughest weekend.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
coda

Post by coda »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:52 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:14 am Disappointing Saturday for those of us who like top-20 chaos as the "chalk" held serve. Hopefully the Ivy opening next week can mix things up like I mix metaphors.

Yes, pretty chalky at the top. Obviously Georgetown and Michigan had the roughest weekend.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Loyola had a rough weekend, which didn’t help GTowns resume. Sneaky game was Denver/Air force.. Denver did not look very good
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I thought Hofstra was going to be far more competitive with Navy.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:41 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Loyola had a rough weekend, which didn’t help GTowns resume. Sneaky game was Denver/Air force.. Denver did not look very good
The Denver-Air Force game maybe was just overall sloppy because of the weather (snowed throughout much of the game)? Speaking of service academies, Army won an unexpectedly close one. UMass played really well so credit to them, but I thought Army looked a bit more mortal compared to some of the predictions; ultimately, they showed great poise in a 4th quarter comeback sparked by a 4-goal run. They won't sneak up on anybody this year, which can be something to get used to.
coda

Post by coda »

UMass is always solid and that was game 1. I tend to overlook week 1 more than most.
lorin

Post by lorin »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:25 pm
coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:41 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Denver-Air Force game maybe was just overall sloppy because of the weather (snowed throughout much of the game)? Speaking of service academies, Army won an unexpectedly close one. UMass played really well so credit to them, but I thought Army looked a bit more mortal compared to some of the predictions; ultimately, they showed great poise in a 4th quarter comeback sparked by a 4-goal run. They won't sneak up on anybody this year, which can be something to get used to.
I agree about Army, they have to be ready every game, but missing starting attack-man and first game back for other attack kid from injury will end up being there best offensive player this year, I also think Plunkett might of put extra pressure on himself to play well in front of home crowd, he will get back to normal next game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”