General Chatter
foreverlax

Re: Gone Fishing

Post by foreverlax »

Anyone here a fly fisherman?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote:Anyone here a fly fisherman?
Only way to fly (fish) Haven't caught a TUNA yet, but plenty of strippers.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

8:54am on a Sunday morning looking out at the backyard here on Long Island and it’s full of activity right now. Blue Jays, 2 woodpeckers, a bunch of golden finches, a few cardinals, 1 rabbit, 2 squirrels, a few black birds, and a bunch if starlings. Think the bass are biting on the beach right now? Wish I was there throwing a plug or dipping a chunk of bunker.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

9:21am. the yard is empty. the bite is over.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Did you let the cat out at 9:20?
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

:lol:

I actually just checked the solunar tables for my area today. There is extremely high activity possible from like 11:45-1:45 today. Tide change by me is right around noon I think. I’ll have to check the yard around noon see what’s doin. I’m starting to get the itch to fish. That’s not good!
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Fish stranded on I-40 after floodwaters recede :shock: : (although the fish looks more like :o )

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:8:54am on a Sunday morning looking out at the backyard here on Long Island and it’s full of activity right now. Blue Jays, 2 woodpeckers, a bunch of golden finches, a few cardinals, 1 rabbit, 2 squirrels, a few black birds, and a bunch if starlings. Think the bass are biting on the beach right now? Wish I was there throwing a plug or dipping a chunk of bunker.
Little Tunny action along the CT shore. this morning.Drum beats...Stripers off Fire Island.Second hand from some friends. When I go out tomorrow, I expect and deserve a chorus of "murf you should have been here yesterday".

I'm watching the BROBS vs.the Texans as I write. Another idiotic decision.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Amazing pictures Holmes!

Murf! Good luck tomorrow. Hope they are hitting hard and often! Unfortunately I think you have an east wind a heavy chop. Not good. You should have went today! :lol:
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:Amazing pictures Holmes!

Murf! Good luck tomorrow. Hope they are hitting hard and often! Unfortunately I think you have an east wind a heavy chop. Not good. You should have went today! :lol:
I fear you are correct.

Once again...sepius nefas, nunquam in nuto. Perhaps I should have the tattooed on my forehead.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Stumbled across what appears to be some pretty good bait, holmes, might wanna try it out. Looks as if you might get a hit before it even hits the water.
Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxlmqF0wj8
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

DMac wrote:Stumbled across what appears to be some pretty good bait, holmes, might wanna try it out. Looks as if you might get a hit before it even hits the water.
Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxlmqF0wj8
Awesome!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Some nice False Albies off Rockaway. Tautogs under the Causeway bridge. Tog season may be impacted by the CT/NY fisheries meeting in Old Lyme Tuesday night. Perhaps the green crab population gets a breather.

That Giant Trevally in the video...holy frijoles.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

runrussellrun wrote:
Only way to fly (fish) Haven't caught a TUNA yet, but plenty of strippers
So that's how to get 'em. Did you use a Zebra Midge? I heard all you needed was some sweet talk, a few drinks and a load of cash.
richard

Post by richard »

wahoomurf wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:
So that's how to get 'em. Did you use a Zebra Midge? I heard all you needed was some sweet talk, a few drinks and a load of cash.
I always heard fly fishing was good for yellow tail snappers. Haven't tried it yet.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

richard wrote:I always heard fly fishing was good for yellowtail snappers. Haven't tried it yet.
I had a friend, a Texan, who was an inveterate fly fisherman. He married a woman that lived on Long Island where they subsequently settled and raised their family. He used to fish with us but wanted us to stay inshore or "suds cast".Better to use his FF skills. He was an excellent fisherman and caught a couple of very nice fat stripers on flies. He took us up to the Beaverkill a few times but we were far too inept to master fly fishing. He, on the other hand, looked like Bernstein conducting the Philharmonic.

His kids all graduated from college, married and moved away. That was his cue to move back to Texas. He sent some photos of some big redfish and spots he caught in the gulf. But he spends most of his time fishing the soft water.

Richard-I can only imagine what landing a Yellowtail on a fly would feel like. Probably pretty exciting. I wonder if any fly guy ever landed a Trevally the size of the one in the above YouTube video. He/she would need a huge seagull fly to do so. :)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Got out this past weekend - apparently hurricane Michael and a few other factors made for bad fishing most of last week. Didn't get a nibble Saturday, but for about 30 minutes on Sunday morning (low on the solunar charts, they may have just been moving back in after taking shelter), every cast got something or at least a few nibbles. Nothing big to report, again a lot of croakers and some pompano, but it was a lot of fun hooking them and letting the little kiddo reel them in. He now wants his own rod, so we'll see what I can do for a 3.5 year old.

Speaking of rods, I'm using a cheapo setup which works just fine for small guys near shore and not giving it a lot of TLC before or after - any recommendations for brands or reels for surf fishing? Just looking for something medium quality as I actually get out more.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Zebco's been around for a zillion years, lot of young anglers began with one of those. Pretty inexpensive, they'll pretty much take a licking and keep on ticking with reasonable care. Think the push button model is best for a 3 1/2 yr old, most kids figure out how to use that fairly quickly.....with a little help from Dad, of course. Next you can teach him how to filet what he catches right on the beach. Should be able to do that by the time he's four. ;)
You need to get yourself one of those big ass surf poles, holmes. Big D pole you can toss that baby way out there with, like a length of the field+ clearing pass. Don't put one of those birds on there though, you don't want to be catching one of those trevallies.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wahoomurf wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:
That, and having LONG leaders :P Tapered may or may not help.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

holmes435 wrote:Got out this past weekend - apparently hurricane Michael and a few other factors made for bad fishing most of last week. Didn't get a nibble Saturday, but for about 30 minutes on Sunday morning (low on the solunar charts, they may have just been moving back in after taking shelter), every cast got something or at least a few nibbles. Nothing big to report, again a lot of croakers and some pompano, but it was a lot of fun hooking them and letting the little kiddo reel them in. He now wants his own rod, so we'll see what I can do for a 3.5 year old.

Speaking of rods, I'm using a cheapo setup which works just fine for small guys near shore and not giving it a lot of TLC before or after - any recommendations for brands or reels for surf fishing? Just looking for something medium quality as I actually get out more.
holmes -

You should build yourself a rod this winter. There is nothing more satisfying than catching a fish on a rod that you built yourself. Your son will love watching you build it and it will be a memory he will have for a lifetime. You can keep the thread work really basic on your first one then get more into it the next time you build one. It's really very easy to do and you will build a beautiful high quality stick for a fraction of the cost. I have 4 rods that I built back in the late 80s - early 90s and they are still the rods I use today. I have a 7 foot boat rod, 11 foot conventional surf rod for big bait and 2 nice spinning rods (1 for plugging on the boat and 1 for plugging on the beach). I also built one for my father in-law, one for my cousin, and one for my brother and they all still use them today. those rods are almost 30 years old!

If you ever want to give it a try PM me and I can help you out with some ideas and the type of components to use. A custom built stick for the surf will out cast anything you get from the store.

This was my go to book when I started.
"Advanced Custom Rod Building" - by Dale Clemens
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Custom- ... 083292587X

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”