Gone Fishing

General Chatter
holmes435

Re: Gone Fishing

Post by holmes435 »

DD-Tech wrote:holmes -

You should build yourself a rod this winter. There is nothing more satisfying than catching a fish on a rod that you built yourself. Your son will love watching you build it and it will be a memory he will have for a lifetime. You can keep the thread work really basic on your first one then get more into it the next time you build one. It's really very easy to do and you will build a beautiful high quality stick for a fraction of the cost. I have 4 rods that I built back in the late 80s - early 90s and they are still the rods I use today. I have a 7 foot boat rod, 11 foot conventional surf rod for big bait and 2 nice spinning rods (1 for plugging on the boat and 1 for plugging on the beach). I also built one for my father in-law, one for my cousin, and one for my brother and they all still use them today. those rods are almost 30 years old!

If you ever want to give it a try PM me and I can help you out with some ideas and the type of components to use. A custom built stick for the surf will out cast anything you get from the store.

This was my go to book when I started.
"Advanced Custom Rod Building" - by Dale Clemens
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Custom- ... 083292587X
Here lies ex-holmes, strangled by his wife as he set up a workshop in the living room to build his own fishing rod

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm definitely down to work on but I'll have to table it for another year or so until we find a bigger house and I have some actual personal space again.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too funny... :lol:
You must have room for a couple of beers though, no?
Could give that a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOe5VBNXpc
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Holmes you wimp!

I built an 11 foot surf rod in a one bedroom apartment that didn’t even have a kitchen in it ... just a small 2 seat bar. My newly wed wife got over it eventually!!!!
DMac wrote:Too funny... :lol:
You must have room for a couple of beers though, no?
Could give that a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOe5VBNXpc
Hey dmac we used to pour beer down a short bass’s mouth before we threw him back. This way if he warned his big momma that we were up there she wouldn’t believe him cause he had beer on his breath and was drunk! :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Master this and there is more time to spend at the bar.

https://www.facebook.com/BocaChicaBeach ... 596097149/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

youthathletics wrote:Master this and there is more time to spend at the bar.

https://www.facebook.com/BocaChicaBeach ... 596097149/
I spent a few summers working for a bait guy. Throwing those cast nets is a lot of work and not easy to do. He followed the bunker schools and would travel anywhere anytime in our area to get on the bait. From Jamaica Bay to Robert Moses inlet he was on the fish. He was selling the bunker retail out of his shop for $1.25 per fish, sold it wholesale for $0.50 a fish. Twice a day he was literally filling his 25’ Mako with bait to the point we were sinking. He put 3 kids through private colleges and lived in a beautiful mortgage free home in Wantagh Long Island.

There’s money in throwing them nets! From what I understand he is still throwing for bunker today and supplying many of the Long Island tackle shops with fresh bait. He must be in his mid 60’s now. I guess that’s why he never taught me how to throw it. That was all on him. Job security. I just sat on the deck and would empty the net.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Woman Catches A ‘River Monster’ And Has The Footage To Prove It

88 pounder...which she then released...how the FORK do you lift that beast out of the water?? She musta been fishing with Hulk Hogan.

:shock:

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

photo of monster fish seen just off the Jersey shore:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

dislaxxic wrote:Woman Catches A ‘River Monster’ And Has The Footage To Prove It

88 pounder...which she then released...how the FORK do you lift that beast out of the water?? She musta been fishing with Hulk Hogan.

:shock:

Guy pretty pretty much sums it up in two words when they land that load.
Holy sh*t!!!!
2Pontificate

Post by 2Pontificate »

I am headed to Key West next Thursday for 3 days of fishing in the warm waters down there. To say that I am psyched after reading this thread is quite the understatement. Hopefully there will be pictures worth posting!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

2Pontificate wrote:I am headed to Key West next Thursday for 3 days of fishing in the warm waters down there. To say that I am psyched after reading this thread is quite the understatement. Hopefully there will be pictures worth posting!
Good for you 2Pont! Enjoy the trip and please bring back some pics!

I have had some great fun with these guys. http://www.dreamcatchercharters.com/key ... ishing.htm We did a back country shark trip that was some of the most fun I have ever had fishing. Spinner sharks leaping 10ft out of the water, BIG black tips and bulls in shallow water. Great trip, caught all our bait on light tackle and had fun livelining barracuda and jacks for the big critters! So much fun. Good guides.

...and check out Louie's Backyard for dinner one night. A little pricey but really good food.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

One of my daughters caught a nice one of the coast of Mozambique a few weeks ago. Might be her first time fishing as her dad never took her :oops:

Heather fishing.jpg
Heather fishing.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

6x6 wrote:One of my daughters caught a nice one of the coast of Mozambique a few weeks ago. Might be her first time fishing as her dad never took her :oops:

The attachment Heather fishing.jpg is no longer available
Great pic and a great catch for your little girl 6X6

Got my little girl out this summer. She never lets me go a summer without getting a trip in!
Attachments
Nemo!
Nemo!
E180C340-78E4-4C9A-B4E1-354C9582769C.jpeg (127.44 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Right back at ya DD, your daughter looks like she’s having a great time. I’m sure those summer trips are full of great memories for you both.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Great stuff, fellas. Thanks for sharing!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

a fan wrote:Great stuff, fellas. Thanks for sharing!
6x6 wrote:Right back at ya DD, your daughter looks like she’s having a great time. I’m sure those summer trips are full of great memories for you both.
Those smiles on these ladies are priceless!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Have fun 2p!!!

Some fresh water fun (Cayuga Lake), with the youngest one a few years back (the red neck), this is what we brought back...well, what he brought back, DMac didn't catch jack...same spot, same bait (rubber worms). What the heck? Fishing is fun stuff, good fishing in the Finger Lakes.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Great pic dmac!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Here is one of my oldest from a sea bass trip this summer. That black and grey stick he has with him is one of the custom rods I built over 30 years ago!
Attachments
4087AE7C-831D-498B-B2AB-DBB087174C98.jpeg
4087AE7C-831D-498B-B2AB-DBB087174C98.jpeg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote:Have fun 2p!!!

Some fresh water fun (Cayuga Lake), with the youngest one a few years back (the red neck), this is what we brought back...well, what he brought back, DMac didn't catch jack...same spot, same bait (rubber worms). What the heck? Fishing is fun stuff, good fishing in the Finger Lakes.
Two things DMac. First, do the rich and famous not allow regular folks like you to fish on Skaneateles :D

Second, regarding you not catching anything while your son was hauling in the big ones. A friend goes to Idaho to visit family every year and of course they fish. Last time, in similar situation to yours when my buddy was complaining as his brother-in-law was having great success, the b-i-l tells him to check his license. My buddy asks “what the hell for?” The brother in law says, “Joe I’m pretty sure it says right on there Fishing License, it doesn’t say anything about it being a Catching License”. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's funny as hell, I'll remember that one. :lol:

I'd don't think I've ever fished over there in Skaneateles with the rich and famous. As you allude to, there's not much of a welcoming attitude in that hood. Probably get kicked off their precious lake for pizzin' over the side and maybe havin' a smoke in the boat anyway. Best I stay closer to the home turf.

I usually do alright, not too often I get skunked but it sure as hell wasn't happening that day. That kid's fun to be out there with though. A bit of a maniac and the stuff that comes out of his mouth is just hilarious. He used to work for a guy who was on the Pro Bass Tour, he really knows what he's doing. Like everything else, lotta tricks of trade.

First couple of days he worked for the guy he works for now (I'd bet the guy is a billionaire) he was pretty impressed with my son. Recognized he's a pretty strong kid and works at quite a pace. The big shot billionaire is a real macho kind of guy...did iron man competitions until not too many years ago...did 'em into his mid 50s. Got himself a new work belt and came out a worked with him. When they were pounding nails my son said to him, "Geezuz Krist, we're gonna have to start calling you lighting, you don't ever hit in the same place twice." Hearing the guys who were around tell that story is hilarious, apparently it caused quite a shutter to everyone else....can't talk to the big shot like that, ya know. That's my boy, he's a beauty. (was a good move, the big shot loves him, takes care of him).

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”