NFL

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: NFL

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:33 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:22 am I heard this from some talking head on an NFL show last night. It makes sense to me. The Dallas HC gets the boot and some guy named Belichick is looking for a new job.
The talent is there in Dallas, What better opportunity for Bill to build on his legacy?
No way, unless he is just a glutton for punishment
It makes sense to me because the pieces are all there. How Dallas can be so dominant one week and struggle the next is baffling to me. Bill wouldn't have to concentrate on rebuilding. He needs to do some fine tuning. I can brag that my Buffalo Bills showed how to beat Dallas. Dallas is designed to stop the pass. They are not very good at stopping a team dedicated to running the ball. James Cook showed that and I think Green Bay looked at the film from that game.
Cook torched Dallas for a 179 yards averaging over 7 yards a carry. How could any NFL offensive coordinator overlook that?
I can't see him working under Jones, and it would seem like a risky move for Dallas hiring someone 71 y/o knowing you most likely are not getting much tread remaining on the tires. I could see Jones hiring him as a GM or carve out a unique position for him.

I
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:13 am In other news......how can you not be rooting for the Lions, when your coach lays it all there. It certainly showed last night for the first half. Rams adjusted well in the second half, Lions did not.

https://x.com/MCSbanned4x/status/174675 ... 33940?s=20
And then this, last night: https://x.com/Lions/status/1746789097421648066?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:16 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:22 am I heard this from some talking head on an NFL show last night. It makes sense to me. The Dallas HC gets the boot and some guy named Belichick is looking for a new job.
The talent is there in Dallas, What better opportunity for Bill to build on his legacy?
It makes sense to me because the pieces are all there. How Dallas can be so dominant one week and struggle the next is baffling to me. Bill wouldn't have to concentrate on rebuilding. He needs to do some fine tuning. I can brag that my Buffalo Bills showed how to beat Dallas. Dallas is designed to stop the pass. They are not very good at stopping a team dedicated to running the ball. James Cook showed that and I think Green Bay looked at the film from that game.
Cook torched Dallas for a 179 yards averaging over 7 yards a carry. How could any NFL offensive coordinator overlook that?
I can't see him working under Jones, and it would seem like a risky move for Dallas hiring someone 71 y/o knowing you most likely are not getting much tread remaining on the tires. I could see Jones hiring him as a GM or carve out a unique position for him.

I
I think Jones understands that Coach Belichick could get this very talented team of underachievers across the finish line one more time.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:16 am

I
On the other hand, Jerruh is 102 years old. He no doubt wants to win another Super Bowl before he passes on.

But I have no idea what the Cowboys will do. I want them to keep Mediocre Mike McCarthy.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Interesting developments - Advancing Detroit and Houston are amongst a group of 4 teams who have NEVER qualified for a Super Bowl.

Can you name the other 2 teams?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:46 am Interesting developments - Advancing Detroit and Houston are amongst a group of 4 teams who have NEVER qualified for a Super Bowl.

Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:46 am Interesting developments - Advancing Detroit and Houston are amongst a group of 4 teams who have NEVER qualified for a Super Bowl.

Frankford yellow jackets is one. ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:49 pm

I was thinking Manchester United but that is the wrong brand of football as well.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Except they went belly up in 1931 - 37 years before the first Super Bowl. They did subsequently morph into the Eagles in 1933 so they do technically make the list of teams that have participated in SB. Interestingly, the Eagles were named after the famous Blue Eagle symbol that represented the National Recovery Administration (NRA) of FDR's New Deal in 1933.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 pm

Except they went belly up in 1931 - 37 years before the first Super Bowl. They did subsequently morph into the Eagles in 1933 so they do technically make the list of teams that have participated in SB. Interestingly, they Eagles were named after the famous Blue Eagle symbol that represented the National Recovery Administration (NRA) of FDR's New Deal in 1933.
Tonawanda Kardex
njbill

Post by njbill »

My comment was tongue in cheek.

According to Wikipedia, the Yellow Jackets didn’t actually become the Eagles. They folded and returned their franchise to the league. The Eagles then started up as an expansion team. The Eagles did not buy the Yellow Jackets, but rather the rights to have a franchise in Philadelphia. Wikipedia says the Eagles were awarded the Yellow Jackets’ “assets” (jockstraps and footballs?). Only one Yellow Jackets player became an Eagle. Neither the NFL nor the Eagles consider the Yellow Jackets history or records to be part of Eagles history.

The Yellow Jackets won one NFL title. Given that the Eagles have only won four NFL titles, we certainly would like to claim another one if we could. But we don’t.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankford_Yellow_Jackets
OuttaNowhereWregget

32-9?

What happened to the Philadelphia Eagles?

One of my favorite teams to watch and follow in 2023 collapsed down the stretch, losing 6 of their last 7. Two of the losses came to the powerhouse Arizona Cardinals and New York Giants.

Behind the scenes power struggle? Players revolt? Super Bowl loss hangover finally catch up with them? Baffling.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Eagles, Dolphins, Cowboys & Jags all peaked too soon.

Joe Buck was complaining about the number of missed tackles in the Eagles-Bucs game, but to my eyes, it's not limited to that game. Nobody seems to be able to tackle in the open field anymore. DB's & LB's all tackle high, going for the strip, making themselves vulnerable to a stiff arm or getting shrugged off. I guess they figure the number of fumbles they will cause outweigh the big plays they give up, Nobody seems to hit low & wrap up anymore. With the gradual changes in blocking rules & QB protection rules, it's become more of a standup grabby game. If the OL used their hands this much before the rule changes, holding would have been called on every play. No more cut blocks or what used to be called cross body blocks in the open field or on the edge. On Josh Allen's long TD run against the Steelers, he started to slide, that froze the DB who had a bead on him, then Allen changed gears & ran right by the DB who had pulled up rather than hit Allen when he would have been in a slide. I've never seen so many penalties for grabbing the face mask, edge of the helmet, or horse collar. Another by-product of the high tackling. I know the rule changes are to reduce injuries, but the players are having difficulty adapting & they generate too many penalties which impact the game, imho. The games are still entertaining, just different. More speed. More versatile athletic QB's. More like flag football.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:21 pm My comment was tongue in cheek.

According to Wikipedia, the Yellow Jackets didn’t actually become the Eagles. They folded and returned their franchise to the league. The Eagles then started up as an expansion team. The Eagles did not buy the Yellow Jackets, but rather the rights to have a franchise in Philadelphia. Wikipedia says the Eagles were awarded the Yellow Jackets’ “assets” (jockstraps and footballs?). Only one Yellow Jackets player became an Eagle. Neither the NFL nor the Eagles consider the Yellow Jackets history or records to be part of Eagles history.

The Yellow Jackets won one NFL title. Given that the Eagles have only won four NFL titles, we certainly would like to claim another one if we could. But we don’t.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankford_Yellow_Jackets
After a beatdown by Tampa Bay - is Sirianni's head on the block?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Personally, I wouldn’t fire him, but you have to think Lurie will think long and hard about it. The decision has to be made quickly since there are so many HC openings and the best talent will be snapped up pretty quickly. Even when the team went out to a 10-1 record, they didn’t look very good. They could have easily lost four or five of those games. Maybe more.

What happened is certainly the $64,000 question in Philadelphia. Easy to blame the coordinators and the lack of talent in the defensive back seven, but I think the issues go deeper than that. I suspect there are serious locker room problems (Brown looks like he could be TO 2.0), which we will hear about in the coming weeks. All the more disturbing given the veteran leadership they had. Usually bad Eagles losses like that eat me up, but I fully expected the team to lose. Have no idea what the bookies were smoking to make the Birds favorites in the game.

Pitchers and catchers in three weeks.
njbill

Post by njbill »

In a computer simulation run this morning, the 1926 Yellow Jackets beat the 2023 Eagles 21-3.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Thanks Bill. That's precisely the kind of finger​-on​-the​-pulse​-straight​-dope I was hoping for.

I hope they don't fire the head coach. I like his candor. Refreshing in this day and age of safe, canned responses.

OuttaNowhereWregget

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:25 am The Eagles, Dolphins, Cowboys & Jags all peaked too soon.

Joe Buck was complaining about the number of missed tackles in the Eagles-Bucs game, but to my eyes, it's not limited to that game. Nobody seems to be able to tackle in the open field anymore. DB's & LB's all tackle high, going for the strip, making themselves vulnerable to a stiff arm or getting shrugged off. I guess they figure the number of fumbles they will cause outweigh the big plays they give up, Nobody seems to hit low & wrap up anymore. With the gradual changes in blocking rules & QB protection rules, it's become more of a standup grabby game. If the OL used their hands this much before the rule changes, holding would have been called on every play. No more cut blocks or what used to be called cross body blocks in the open field or on the edge. On Josh Allen's long TD run against the Steelers, he started to slide, that froze the DB who had a bead on him, then Allen changed gears & ran right by the DB who had pulled up rather than hit Allen when he would have been in a slide. I've never seen so many penalties for grabbing the face mask, edge of the helmet, or horse collar. Another by-product of the high tackling. I know the rule changes are to reduce injuries, but the players are having difficulty adapting & they generate too many penalties which impact the game, imho. The games are still entertaining, just different. More speed. More versatile athletic QB's. More like flag football.
Wow--these are great insights. I hadn't noticed the high tackle/strip attempt syndrome, but knowing that puts much into perspective.
DMac

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:25 am The Eagles, Dolphins, Cowboys & Jags all peaked too soon.

Joe Buck was complaining about the number of missed tackles in the Eagles-Bucs game, but to my eyes, it's not limited to that game. Nobody seems to be able to tackle in the open field anymore. DB's & LB's all tackle high, going for the strip, making themselves vulnerable to a stiff arm or getting shrugged off. I guess they figure the number of fumbles they will cause outweigh the big plays they give up, Nobody seems to hit low & wrap up anymore.

On Josh Allen's long TD run against the Steelers, he started to slide, that froze the DB who had a bead on him, then Allen changed gears & ran right by the DB who had pulled up rather than hit Allen when he would have been in a slide.
Ray Lewis was on the Manningcast saying the same thing about tackling, was driving him nuts.

On Allen's TD run, you betchya, can not have that. That stop, fake, and hesitation can't be allowed when the QB is on the run. Dmen are afraid to hit the QB to begin with, you can't have it both ways, the Dmen are going to freeze and that QB has to go down. I don't feel as if they should be allowed to try to fight their way out of the grasp of a Dman either. When they're in the grasp the play is over, too many restrictions on how they can be tackled and brought down.

Bills are looking very tough right now, they're going to be hard to beat.

Wasn't sold on the Eagles all year, even when they were 9-1.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Right or wrong, and I agree with some of the above points about quarterbacks, they are the NFL’s meal ticket. They are going to protect them. Can you imagine this year‘s playoffs without Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, etc.?

One thing I think they could do when quarterbacks slide is to have, say, a two step rule for defenders. When a quarterback has crossed the line of scrimmage, a defender should be permitted to take two steps after a quarterback begins his slide and not get penalized (sorta like the roughing the passer rule). The Josh Allen play, while spectacular to watch, points up the unfairness to the defense of the current rule. There are other ways to avoid a big hit, and quarterbacks need to learn to utilize them when they are running the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”