St. Bonaventure 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

St. Bonaventure 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

In 2022, the Bonnies, in their final year as a MAAC program, had a solid year. Last year wasn't so great. Not only did the Bonnies go 0-5 in Atlantic 10 play, but they weren't really even competitive in those games. Will we see some improvement in conference play, wins or not? Coach Mearns is definitely doing some solid recruiting.
Farfromgeneva

Re: St. Bonaventure 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not really.

I’ve been watching Dobson, admittedly is pro box, in the NLL last year and this and he’s better than even Dillon Ward who carried Bellarmine under Kevin burns to a top 20 ranking at one point. Absent getting another wildly underrated elite goalie like that they are probably stuck. Mearns does well w Canada but still.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:50 pm Not really.

I’ve been watching Dobson, admittedly is pro box, in the NLL last year and this and he’s better than even Dillon Ward who carried Bellarmine under Kevin burns to a top 20 ranking at one point. Absent getting another wildly underrated elite goalie like that they are probably stuck. Mearns does well w Canada but still.
Dobson was ridiculous this past summer in the PLL too. He's really a top goalie in both the NLL and PLL. Him in goal was why the Bonny's were competitive in 2022.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

DoubleD wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:01 pm

Dobson was ridiculous this past summer in the PLL too. He's really a top goalie in both the NLL and PLL. Him in goal was why the Bonny's were competitive in 2022.
Agree, Dobson is amazing. Could not believe he was not Canada's starting gk last summer. I hate Ward's style. Give me Dobson or Kirst any day.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:57 pm

Agree, Dobson is amazing. Could not believe he was not Canada's starting gk last summer. I hate Ward's style. Give me Dobson or Kirst any day.
Dillon Ward was the top goaltender in the world for several years running.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Dobson might be the most improved player that I have ever seen. I recall he was the tender against Cornell in an 18-3 loss for the Bonnies in their inaugural season. He was a freshman. By his senior year, he was a significant factor in his team's victories. Now, as noted, he's viewed as a top goaltender for Canada.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

RIT beat Bonnies 19-11ish in a fall ball scrimmage. My buddy watched and said "Bonnies looked like the D3 team." Apparently, they have a pretty good offense, but a really bad defense.

Hopefully they figure it out before the start of season.

Looking at their Schedule... I think they'll have a similar record to last year. 1-13 in 2023.

2024 Schedule:
Bellarmine
Binghamton
RMU
VMI
CSU
Canisius
Marquette
Richmond*
HPU*
Umass*
Hobart*

SHOULD beat VMI, but outside of that... not really seeing many "easy" wins on this schedule. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.
DebitLaxPlayable

Post by DebitLaxPlayable »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 am RIT beat Bonnies 19-11ish in a fall ball scrimmage. My buddy watched and said "Bonnies looked like the D3 team." Apparently, they have a pretty good offense, but a really bad defense.

Looking at their Schedule... I think they'll have a similar record to last year. 1-13 in 2023.

2024 Schedule:
Bellarmine
Binghamton
RMU
VMI
CSU
Canisius
Marquette
Richmond*
HPU*
Umass*
Hobart*

SHOULD beat VMI, but outside of that... not really seeing many "easy" wins on this schedule. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.
On the flip side of that, I don’t really see any automatic losses in their OOC schedule besides Marquette and maybe RMU. If they can make some adjustments, they could be 4-2 heading into conference play and maybe knock off Hobart or someone in conference play.

I think part of their problem last year was scheduling OOC like they still had Dobson with away games @Syracuse @UMBC and @Marquette. Some of those losses completely took the wind out of any momentum after their solid performance against VMI

But yea, like you said, could as easily be another one win campaign. Lot of toss ups in there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 am

Have watched him a couple times in NLL. Stud. Saw him play Bart, we had an epic comeback one year we were both in the ecac when they had Ward. Hes terrific but I’m telling you maybe it’s just youth but Dobson in box looks flat
Out better. Never saw him play the field game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:57 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 am RIT beat Bonnies 19-11ish in a fall ball scrimmage. My buddy watched and said "Bonnies looked like the D3 team." Apparently, they have a pretty good offense, but a really bad defense.

2024 Schedule:
Bellarmine
Binghamton
RMU
VMI
CSU
Canisius
Marquette
Richmond*
HPU*
Umass*
Hobart*

On the flip side of that, I don’t really see any automatic losses in their OOC schedule besides Marquette and maybe RMU. If they can make some adjustments, they could be 4-2 heading into conference play and maybe knock off Hobart or someone in conference play.

I think part of their problem last year was scheduling OOC like they still had Dobson with away games @Syracuse @UMBC and @Marquette. Some of those losses completely took the wind out of any momentum after their solid performance against VMI

But yea, like you said, could as easily be another one win campaign. Lot of toss ups in there.
Hobart is returning 7/8 top scorers and a good fifth year FOGO. Their D will be something to watch but they are going to be competing closer to top of A10 than bottom this year - book it.
DebitLaxPlayable

Post by DebitLaxPlayable »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:36 pm

2024 Schedule:
Bellarmine
Binghamton
RMU
VMI
CSU
Canisius
Marquette
Richmond*
HPU*
Umass*
Hobart*

Hobart is returning 7/8 top scorers and a good fifth year FOGO. Their D will be something to watch but they are going to be competing closer to top of A10 than bottom this year - book it.
My apologies, haven’t been keeping the most up to date in the conference. I was just throwing out a random name who they could surprise
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:36 pm

2024 Schedule:
Bellarmine
Binghamton
RMU
VMI
CSU
Canisius
Marquette
Richmond*
HPU*
Umass*
Hobart*

My apologies, haven’t been keeping the most up to date in the conference. I was just throwing out a random name who they could surprise
No I would too toss Bart and HPU as targets so no offense but just knowing what last year was like with half Barts starters out with injury and who’s returning it will be more like the game a couple years back. But that’s just Bacue I’m expecting Bart to be much more competitive this year, I predicted 3-5 wins last year as there was a rebuild after 3-4 very talented years broken up by COVID.

But if you tell me they have defensive issues and have to face even a middle pack
Team (because most years, call it 7/8 out of ten, Bart is still like 25-40 range rather than 45-70) that’s returning almost all their offense and a strong fifth year FOGO that doesn’t spell win.

SBU is just going to struggle in the A10 much like St Joes did in the CAA or Bellarmine in the ECAC (where they did best Bart once in a game I attended which was atrocious the kids quit on the coach in the worst season in 100ryrs literally for Hobart). MAAC would’ve been a better fit for lacrosse to stay but understand it’s not all about lacrosse. But see how MSM has done in and out as an example .

I see four potential wins here: Bing (think they drop back w/o Greenblatt), Canisius, VMI and Cleveland State:
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm

Have watched him a couple times in NLL. Stud. Saw him play Bart, we had an epic comeback one year we were both in the ecac when they had Ward. Hes terrific but I’m telling you maybe it’s just youth but Dobson in box looks flat
Dude he looks the same in field. He literally looked like the best goalie in the PLL last summer. That includes Blaze who plays goalie still in field. Kirst was excellent too last summer but Dobson really stood out. So impressive.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm

Dude he looks the same in field. He literally looked like the best goalie in the PLL last summer. That includes Blaze who plays goalie still in field. Kirst was excellent too last summer but Dobson really stood out. So impressive.
I believe it. Great find by Mearns. He can find talent but it’s hard to build depth.

And having a longtime goalie, Mike Poulin, who retired a year ago for the swarm it’s a nice transition and fun to watch.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

A late response, but in field lacrosse Ward is a guesser who plays a high arc and has quick enough hands to get to some shots where he guesses wrong. He is good no doubt, but I hate that style. My opinion. I could be wrong. I like Kirst, Dobson and DeLuca in the PLL.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 pm

A late response, but in field lacrosse Ward is a guesser who plays a high arc and has quick enough hands to get to some shots where he guesses wrong. He is good no doubt, but I hate that style. My opinion. I could be wrong. I like Kirst, Dobson and DeLuca in the PLL.
Not to hijack the conversation, but Ward is not a guesser. He has said in past interviews that he likes to play shooter tendencies. He watches film and charts where players shoot in situations.

He just plays the percentages.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hey there, folks! Need some help. Someone is traveling from Baltimore to St. Bonaventure for the game vs. Richmond this weekend. That said, do you have any advice on things to do, ie-stops, sites, and food places along the way?
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Depending on the route you take, the Corning Museum of Glass is kinda cool and the Pizza at Aniello's in town is top notch.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

relaxedfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 pm Depending on the route you take, the Corning Museum of Glass is kinda cool and the Pizza at Aniello's in town is top notch.
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I know he is coming up Route 83.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

relaxedfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 pm Depending on the route you take, the Corning Museum of Glass is kinda cool and the Pizza at Aniello's in town is top notch.
Aniello's is the best...miss that pie!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”