Big Ten 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Big Ten 2024

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:04 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:02 pm ND and Syracuse have good goalies. The rest of that conference leaves a lot to be desired from what I have seen. I am fairly certain I could have put one home on Uva's goalie yesterday.
Duke is #4 in adjusted save percentage, UVA is #9. Both rank above Rutgers and Maryland.

Entenmann and Mark will both be AA teamers.

What a terrible goalie conference.
Sure looked that way yesterday. Rough one for whoever that Uva goalie is. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie pulled without making a save. Did that really happen or did it just seem that way?
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:02 pm ND and Syracuse have good goalies. The rest of that conference leaves a lot to be desired from what I have seen. I am fairly certain I could have put one home on Uva's goalie yesterday.
Duke is #4 in adjusted save percentage, UVA is #9. Both rank above Rutgers and Maryland.

Sure looked that way yesterday. Rough one for whoever that Uva goalie is. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie pulled without making a save. Did that really happen or did it just seem that way?
Again, the stats don’t lie (though 1766 will ignore stats and go with his own narrative). Even with one goalie’s bad performance in one game, the ACC goalies are just as formidable as the B1G goalies so far this year. Time to find a new slant for why B1G games barely crack 20 goals…
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Again, the stats don’t lie (though 1766 will ignore stats and go with his own narrative). Even with one goalie’s bad performance in one game, the ACC goalies are just as formidable as the B1G goalies so far this year. Time to find a new slant for why B1G games barely crack 20 goals…
I mean the ACC talent on offense is one million times better. There is no slant. It is virtually impossible for a non ACC team to cut down the nets this year. The Big Ten doesn’t score a lot because they aren’t as talented.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

JerrysWorld wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 pm

I mean the ACC talent on offense is one million times better. There is no slant. It is virtually impossible for a non ACC team to cut down the nets this year. The Big Ten doesn’t score a lot because they aren’t as talented.
I think Hopkins(when healthy) and Penn State have the offenses to put up as many goals as any of the ACC’s. For whatever reason when B1G 10 plays each other, like football for the most part, it tends to be a slugfest
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

More pace of play than anything. It's not due to a lack of talent. Otherwise the ACC wouldn't have lost a single game against the Big 10 - yet this didnt happen did it?
coda

Post by coda »

ACC definitely has some more talented offenses based on recruiting rankings. ACC is pretty much an all blue blood league and Big 10 is still chasing. I think the Big 10 does have better defenses. According to Massey the defensive rankings the Big 10 has 4 of the top 10 and 2 of the top 4. The ACC has 2 of the top 4 and 3 of the top 10.
https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d1/ratings

Post by 1766 »

Hopkins put up 16 on Uva. Maryland 13 in Syracuse. Ohio St.'s offense is clearly not a strength but Penn St. is. They put up 20 on Cornell which is more than ND just did.

A lot of goals go in Acc games than won't in Big Ten games.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm Hopkins put up 16 on Uva. Maryland 13 in Syracuse. Ohio St.'s offense is clearly not a strength but Penn St. is. They put up 20 on Cornell which is more than ND just did.

Take a look at each B1G team’s worst defensive performances of the season:

Maryland’s highest goals against came against ND, UVA, and Cuse
Hopkin’s highest goals against came against Cuse and UVA.
Ohio State’s highest goals against came against Cornell, UVA, and ND
Michigan’s highest goals against came against UVA and ND
Penn State didn’t play an ACC game, but highest goals against came against Yale and Colgate
Rutgers didn’t play an ACC game, but highest goals against came against Army and Princeton

See the pattern? Offenses outside the B1G are putting up high goal totals against these vaunted B1G defenses.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 am

More pace of play than anything. It's not due to a lack of talent. Otherwise the ACC wouldn't have lost a single game against the Big 10 - yet this didnt happen did it?
There is a real talent discrepancy between the conferences, it’s just not wide enough to withstand the randomness in the sport, leading to some ACC out of conference losses. None of these ACC teams are 2022 Maryland, not even close. But even that all-time team almost lost to mediocre Ohio State team on a day they didn’t show in the first half.

If you look at the DraftKings championship odds, they see the implied probably of an ACC team winning the NC is around 75%. That’s a good barometer to where I see it, likely that one of them wins it given the talent advantages, not a give in by any stretch.
coda

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

There is a real talent discrepancy between the conferences, it’s just not wide enough to withstand the randomness in the sport, leading to some ACC out of conference losses. None of these ACC teams are 2022 Maryland, not even close. But even that all-time team almost lost to mediocre Ohio State team on a day they didn’t show in the first half.

If you look at the DraftKings championship odds, they see the implied probably of an ACC team winning the NC is around 75%. That’s a good barometer to where I see it, likely that one of them wins it given the talent advantages, not a give in by any stretch.
the difference between the ACC and pretty much everyone else is the complete roster. You can say the IVY has better offenses or The Big 10 has better defense and its at least an interesting argument. ACC has better overall talent from special teams, offense, and defense. That is what is really hard to argue.

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm Hopkins put up 16 on Uva. Maryland 13 in Syracuse. Ohio St.'s offense is clearly not a strength but Penn St. is. They put up 20 on Cornell which is more than ND just did.

Penn State didn’t play an ACC game, but highest goals against came against Yale and Colgate
Rutgers didn’t play an ACC game, but highest goals against came against Army and Princeton

See the pattern? Offenses outside the B1G are putting up high goal totals against these vaunted B1G defenses.
Maryland was 1 goal off their highest output against Syracuse and Hopkins highest goal total was against Uva so that goes both ways.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

coda wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

the difference between the ACC and pretty much everyone else is the complete roster. You can say the IVY has better offenses or The Big 10 has better defense and its at least an interesting argument. ACC has better overall talent from special teams, offense, and defense. That is what is really hard to argue.
Yup, agree with all of this.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Syracuse had by far its least efficient day on defense against Hopkins. They won because they dominated faceoffs and had a million more possessions. But that was Hopkins' most efficient offensive performance of the season by a lot. They scored on nearly 50% of possessions lol.

The ACC clearly has more offensive talent. And thus better offenses (in general — there are exceptions). But I think the Big Ten, particularly its top three teams, is playing much tougher and more organized on the defensive end this year irrespective of the offensive talent differential.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:45 pm

I think Hopkins(when healthy) and Penn State have the offenses to put up as many goals as any of the ACC’s. For whatever reason when B1G 10 plays each other, like football for the most part, it tends to be a slugfest
I have read that English is out for the season and Melendez still has large ankle braces on, so your caveat is a big one.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

Maryland was 1 goal off their highest output against Syracuse and Hopkins highest goal total was against Uva so that goes both ways.
One would be tempted to speculate that pace of play could contribute to the higher total goal total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Post by 1766 »

Big Ten teams are able to slow each other down considerably. I don't think that is debatable watching the teams play. No matter who it is, every match up seems to be a possession based game. While the Michigan coach's comments were probably left unsaid, he's not completely wrong. The Acc appears to be a more fraternal league. The Big Ten not so much. You'd be hard pressed to find any program that doesn't have real contempt for all of the others. I am sure for schools like Maryland and Hopkins it's each other, and though Penn St is the rivalry game for Rutgers and a trophy is on the line, it's Ohio St that, if you ask any of the players, is the one that is extra chippy. It' all makes for a great league. The way the conference demands all B1G games be played in succession at the end of the season really makes it exciting and easy to follow. Rivalry weekend is especially well thought out and executed.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

One would be tempted to speculate that pace of play could contribute to the higher total goal total.
Pace of play definitely contributes to the higher totals, as does better offensive personnel in the ACC / Ivy.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Does the Ivy have better offensive personnel, or do they just have a completely inability to slide and rotate effectively?

(The ACC on the whole is the best conference this year, though not by as much as last year; but all these conferences have their strengths and weaknesses. I think it's clear though that no conference as has glaringly obvious a weakness as defense is in the Ivy. It inflates their goal totals to a substanstial degree.)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yeah, Cornell's goal total was enhanced by putting 17 on Notre Dame :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sean Donnelly, switched to 2nd midfield, finally gets on the board for the Nits,

with 2 solid assists this game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”