Liberty League 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dlaxva5

Re: Liberty League 2024

Post by Dlaxva5 »

RPI broadcaster just reviewed the scenario.

3-way tie and RIT is first seed due to tiebreaker 5 - something like winning percentage against common opponents? don't quote me.

Then head-to-head between 2 and 3 for the 2 seed.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

A little quiet over here in the Liberty.

Is that because we all expect RIT and RPI in the final on Sunday?

Union was in a slugfest with Clarkson. Can they push RIT like they did less than a week ago?

RPI played 45 minutes of lacrosse. Can they bounce back from an abysmal second quarter and get the the Liberty League championship?

Any takers on an upset?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:51 am A little quiet over here in the Liberty.

Is that because we all expect RIT and RPI in the final on Sunday?

Union was in a slugfest with Clarkson. Can they push RIT like they did less than a week ago?

RPI played 45 minutes of lacrosse. Can they bounce back from an abysmal second quarter and get the the Liberty League championship?

Any takers on an upset?
I'm not sure what game you were watching last weekend because SLU was in full control of that game besides the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter where RPI cut the lead down to 4. Besides that SLU controlled every aspect of the game. With that being said, I expect to see a much closer game between the two today.

I mentioned it before last week's game that Paddy Condon must step up his game for SLU and he did just that against RPI putting in a very strong performance. Let's see if he can repeat that in the rematch with Venuto for RPI.
Leonard Washington

FosterLax3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:19 am I'm not sure what game you were watching last weekend because SLU was in full control of that game besides the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter where RPI cut the lead down to 4. Besides that SLU controlled every aspect of the game. With that being said, I expect to see a much closer game between the two today.

I mentioned it before last week's game that Paddy Condon must step up his game for SLU and he did just that against RPI putting in a very strong performance. Let's see if he can repeat that in the rematch with Venuto for RPI.
I watched the same game. SLU going on a 3-0 run to start the 2nd and 5-1 to close it out was too much to overcome. A quarter in which SLU took more shots then they did the other three quarters combined. Perry wasn't bad but wasn't great. Venuto and Murphy were both "neutralized" so it will be interesting to see what happens.

SLU 12
RPI 11
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Not that it matters now, I’m still trying to figure out how they decided the tiebreaker. I haven’t seen a real explanation anywhere.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Predictions (which will surely be wrong)

RIT 16 Union 11
St Lawrence 12 RPI 11
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:08 pm Predictions (which will surely be wrong)

St Lawrence 12 RPI 11
Well now I have to change my prediction :lol:
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:56 am Not that it matters now, I’m still trying to figure out how they decided the tiebreaker. I haven’t seen a real explanation anywhere.
I doubt we will ever get a definitive answer but my guess is the tiebreaker was the average goal difference of in conference games. The ranking of that statistic for the top three is:

RIT: 8.6
SLU: 6.6
RPI: 3.6

Just a guess but that makes sense in theory in determining who the "better" team is as well as it is in the order of how they ended up being ranked
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

RPI gets its revenge. Two closely matched teams. Wonder if we will get round 3 in NCAA tourney?

RIT is putting a beat down on union. Championship for the number 1 seed in the north? RIT would have to be heavily favored for some revenge, but RPI is the only team that has been able to be RIT since they have joined the Liberty.
billyosier

Post by billyosier »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:45 pm RPI gets its revenge. Two closely matched teams. Wonder if we will get round 3 in NCAA tourney?

RIT is putting a beat down on union. Championship for the number 1 seed in the north? RIT would have to be heavily favored for some revenge, but RPI is the only team that has been able to be RIT since they have joined the Liberty.
RPI isn’t the only team to take down RIT since they moved to the LL. Surprisingly, Clarkson beat them years back.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

billyosier wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:02 pm
Laxfan1414 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:45 pm RPI gets its revenge. Two closely matched teams. Wonder if we will get round 3 in NCAA tourney?

RPI isn’t the only team to take down RIT since they moved to the LL. Surprisingly, Clarkson beat them years back.
Forgot about that, Clarkson did win back in 2017 or 2018(?) Ithaca also beat them back in 2015(?), but that was before Ithaca joined the LL.

SLU and Union not being able to get one win against the Tigers in 12 years is absolutely shocking considering the quality of those two programs.
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

Tough loss for the Saints, played poorly. Way too many turnovers on basic plays, if your going to win in May those cannot happen.

Both goalies were lights out and great battle at the X, Saints Offense struggled against RPI close D, very different from last Saturday. The constant rotation on middie and attack cannot help the O flow at all. Need to stick to their best 6 O in crunch time. Young Mahoney can play and should win LL Rookie of Year. Arcuri from Vassar may have say but think Mahoney has it.

Didnt watch much of RIT/UNION but seems like RIT is back in May mode, clinical and ruthless.

Have to think RPI/RIT loser lock up Pool C and hosting.

Union is going to sweat it out on Sunday night, Midd beating Bowdoin and winning NESCAC would be helpful.

Hoping for exciting LL final, been an overall great season to watch and league is in amazing place.
billyosier

Post by billyosier »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:06 pm
billyosier wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:02 pm

Forgot about that, Clarkson did win back in 2017 or 2018(?) Ithaca also beat them back in 2015(?), but that was before Ithaca joined the LL.

SLU and Union not being able to get one win against the Tigers in 12 years is absolutely shocking considering the quality of those two programs.
Agreed, it’s very surprising. There’s definitely been quite a few close ones over the years whether it be OT, 1 goal or 2 goal games but hard to fathom that neither team has beaten them yet.

In terms of NCAA tourney bids, I’m expecting the LL to get 4 this year (RiT, RPI, SLU, Union) - very impressive year for the league.
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

CTLaxFan15 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:20 pm Have to think RPI/RIT loser lock up Pool C and hosting.

Union is going to sweat it out on Sunday night, Midd beating Bowdoin and winning NESCAC would be helpful.
Have to think Union is through to NCAAs. Liberty so strong, esp compared to everyone else this season. Getting utterly annihilated to Tufts and now RIT doesnt look good but they're in. Many others hoping to get a spot took conf tourney losses this week (see York, OH Wesleyan, etc).
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

Yesterday was an absolute goalie clinic in the RPI v SLU game. They both played unbelievable and got to think they are arguably the two best goalies in the country
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm
dp68 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:08 pm Predictions (which will surely be wrong)

St Lawrence 12 RPI 11
Well now I have to change my prediction :lol:
Well, it came down 1 goal. Got that part right :D
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:46 am
Well, it came down 1 goal. Got that part right :D
Glass half full! :lol:

Great game to watch, and I hope the rematch (between RPI and RIT) will be just as entertaining and close
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Regarding the championship tomorrow,

As an RPI Fan predicting:
Engineers win 12-10

As someone who lives in reality:
Tigers put it in overdrive looking for revenge on their home turf (which is ridiculous in of itself, because they finished with the same record and RPI with a head to head win, but that’s a different argument)
Final Score RIT 20 RPI 10
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

First time ever, RIT doesn’t own the Liberty. Wish I could say I never doubted lol.

WOW

RPI hosting throughout?
Leonard Washington

What a great (understatement) game.

Definitely an "instant classic"

Hoping for a third installment in the playoffs this year

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”