Centennial Conference 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ReturnOfTheWAC

Re: Centennial Conference 2024

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Big slate this weekend with multiple teams playing 2 games. Lets get some picks in

Friday

Dickinson vs CNU- This should be starting soon and im really excited to watch it. CNU has been underwleming to say the least this year after high expectations and argubably one of the oldest teams in D3. Dickinson on the other hand is the lone undefeated CC team remaning after living on edge a few games previous. I think based on what I saw last week from Dickinson vs Stevenson is that they have turned the corner especially on offense. Things seems to be meshing which will be big vs the physical CNU defense. I do think CNU coming off a bad Tufts loss is important as they have had over a week to think about this game and im sure at the Mustang Classic they will be eager to show everyone they are still a potential final 4 team. Give me CNU 15-14 in a thriller

Haverford vs Stevens- Haverford has been very hit or miss under the new coach which I think is to be expected as they try to change their identity as a more fast paced team. Stevens is seasoned which leads me to believe they should have their way with the Fords unless Haverford has a big game in him. Ducks 18-8

Washington vs Ithaca- Im very hopeful last weeks performance vs an undefeated RMC propels this team vs an competitive Ithaca roster. Washington is celebrating one of its all time great teams this weekend, and I hope to see a great crowd out to the game when I tune in this afternoon. To me it will be how can Washington generate offense especially with its young midfielders and can the defense hold up and support our freshman goalie. Washington 10-9 OT!!!!

Saturday

Dickinson vs York- A battle of great coaches. York has the abilty to play with anyone but I am still skeptical of their goalie. Going on a back to back I think is an advantage for Dickinson but how tired will they be after playing a physical CNU team. Im expecting a lower scoring game that York squeaks by in 10-9

F&M vs ETown- We have all heard of "Clemsoning" pre Dabo Sweeney. Id like to coin the term "F&Ming", I cant understand for the life of me why F&M cant get both sides of the ball to show up in the same game. It is always one or another. I do think ETown is down and F&M will remember what happened last year vs them. Dips 18-11

Gettysburg vs Denison- Gettysburg got absolutely embarrassed last week, couldnt win faceoffs or make saves(of course I said I was becoming a Morgan believer). The Bullets are flawed but they still have the talent to beat an overrated(yes I said it) Denison team. Denison will keep this close because they will own the possession battle, but I expect Gettysburg to be locked in after a week of thinking about W&L. Bullets 12-9

Swat vs Arcadia- The Garnett came out hot vs Amherst but cooled fast and could not overcome Amhersts second half adjustments. Im still skeptical of their goalie situation but I do not think it will matter vs Arcadia who has been a bit of a thorn for the CC this year. Garnett will want to end spring break with a bang 18-10

(Western Maryland)McDaniel vs Chatham- Gotta give Western Maryland some credit they have come a long way fast as a poster said above. Playing RMC close(11-8) but still need to get over the hump. McDaniel has historically lost games like this coming off good performances. I think this might be close but give me the Green Terror 12-9

Ursinus vs SJF- Ursinus has been playing really well of late and i think last weeks first half performance is something to build on. SJF had their run as a top 20 team and have fallen back to good but not great. Bears roll 14-10

Mules vs Cortland- Bears got a big win at altitude on Wed.Im not a beliver in Cortland. Mules 12-11

Sunday-

Haverford- IDK who they play but they will win

Washington vs Skidmore- Clean sweep for our boys heading into conference over a school I still get a good laugh whenever I see it. 14-11
ToeDipper78

Mid-Season Forecasts?

Post by ToeDipper78 »

Anyone want to amend their conference predictions as we enter CC portion of the season?

Top 4 look solid (however you order them):
Dickinson, Swat, Gettysburg, F&M

After that, it's real hard to know.
CentennialPundit

Re: Mid-Season Forecasts?

Post by CentennialPundit »

ToeDipper78 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:50 am Anyone want to amend their conference predictions as we enter CC portion of the season?

Top 4 look solid (however you order them):
Dickinson, Swat, Gettysburg, F&M

After that, it's real hard to know.
I think it’s Dickinson, Swarthmore, and Gettysburg then everyone else. Would personally be surprised if FnM wins a game against any of the other top teams, but we shall see
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

It has been a roller coaster start for WAC so far but the last three games they played, they showed signs that they can grab a play off spot. I hope they can build off of yesterdays win and sneak up on some teams heading into CC play. If turnovers get cleaned up, I can 100% see them stealing some wins against the likes of F&M, Swat, Dickinson, & Gettysburg.

Conference seems wide open this year IMO, I could see a few tie breakers at the end of the season. I do not think Dickinson is a lock for the 1 seed at the end of the year. Best of luck to all, can't wait to see these teams battle.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

CC Rankings:
1-T Dickinson
1-T Gburg
2- SWAT
3 - F&M
4 - Mules
5 -T Ursinus
5 -T WAC
6- Haverford
7 - McDaniel

The 4/5 Spots in the playoffs seem to be wide open, especially with McDaniel playing some better lacrosse recently. Mules are interesting, young group that has played a tough OOC schedule and in a handful of tight games & coming off 2 momentum building wins against CC & Cortland (not great, not bad teams). Should be a fun year in the conference, but looks like a 2 bid league at best. If Gburg/Dickinson are upset 1-2x then this could be a 1 bid league this year based what happens in the NESCAC / Liberty League / ODAC
Laxforeveryone

Post by Laxforeveryone »

Definitely agree the top spots could be up for grabs. I think on any given day some teams perform and some don’t. I’m interested in seeing how the middle/bottom shakes out. I think McDaniel can get a few wins with Haverford, WAC, and Ursinus all being good possibilities. Muhlenberg seems to have a tenacity that allows them to pull out close ones. Competitive conference games are always fun to watch.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:33 am It has been a roller coaster start for WAC so far but the last three games they played, they showed signs that they can grab a play off spot. I hope they can build off of yesterdays win and sneak up on some teams heading into CC play. If turnovers get cleaned up, I can 100% see them stealing some wins against the likes of F&M, Swat, Dickinson, & Gettysburg.

Conference seems wide open this year IMO, I could see a few tie breakers at the end of the season. I do not think Dickinson is a lock for the 1 seed at the end of the year. Best of luck to all, can't wait to see these teams battle.
you must be high
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:33 am It has been a roller coaster start for WAC so far but the last three games they played, they showed signs that they can grab a play off spot. I hope they can build off of yesterdays win and sneak up on some teams heading into CC play. If turnovers get cleaned up, I can 100% see them stealing some wins against the likes of F&M, Swat, Dickinson, & Gettysburg.

you must be high
^this guys favorite hobby is hating on WAC
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Quick mid season analysis

Top Tier
Dickinson- Everything is there, good offense, good defense, good in the goal, great face-off, great coaching. Lets not forget this team struggled at this point last season and ended up going perfect in conference. Webster is a master at getting this team better as the season goes on. I do think they will lose a regular season conference game this year.

Swat- Great offense, good defense, still figuring it out in the goal. Swarthmore can score in bunches and have taken care of buisness vs everyone they should have. The Amherst lose is going to haunt them but this team has enough to win the conference this year if they show up in big games

Slightly below Top Tier
Gettysburg- They would be in the top tier if it wasnt for the glaring weakness at facing off. The W&L loss looks a whole lot worse after this weekend(W&L 0-2). Amherst will be a big game tomorrow. The offense has alot of young talent and the defense has proven vets. This team can easliy win the conference and I anticipate them being in the CC championship.

Gap

F&M Tier
F&M- F&M has talent,but will they show up on gameday and play a complete game on both sides of the ball. I do not think F&M will beat any of the teams above them but could easliy lose to a team in the next tier in a head scratcher. They are a solid 4 here based on talent

Slight Gap
Muhlenberg- The Mules are young and have played a pretty tough out of conference schedule. Two big wins should give them confidence heading into week 1 cc play. The young offensive pieces are coming together and I trust Plunkett and Co. to have this team knocking on the door of the playoffs.

Ursinus- I was a bit to tough on the Bears to start the season. They seem to be rounding into themselves and playing some good lacrosse. I give the staff credit for not letting it unravel and I do think they have the abilty to make the playoffs. My question is can they steal a win from the teams above and more improtantly not have an "Did they really lose to them" moment vs a lower CC team

Slight Gap
The "Still can make the playoffs" tier

Washington- Im probably still drunk from St Paddys day and an exciting Washington victory but this win has to mean something for the Shoremen. I do think they are starting to figure out the lineup and there are some young pieces all over the field to build upon for years to come. Injuries have plauged this team early and unfortunately when your team is young and banged up depth is going to be an issue. Use the week to get healthy

Slight gap
The "Ugh this team is beating us"tier

Haverford- The Fords have a few bad losses and a few solid wins. New coaching staff is changing this teams identity which is going to take time and patience. There are some offensive pieces and the goalie has proven to take over games. I dont think there is enough to make the playoffs but there is enough for an upset

Western Maryland(McDaniel)- Gotta give credit to this team as a poster said above, this program was a disaster 2 years ago(im talking couldnt clear the ball bad) and looks completly different now. Im rooting for them(just not vs WAC)

Wed game picks

Gettysburg vs Amherst- This game has huge pool c implications for not just GBurg but Swarthmore as well. Bullets are at home. Faceoffs will be key, Amherst has an high octane offense. Im rooting for the CC in this because I mostly just dont like the NESCAC. GBurg 15-14

Western Maryland vs Hood- Seems like an evenly matched game. 10-9 Green Terror

Swarthmore vs Stockton- The total has to be 31.5 correct? Swat 20-11
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

westernbestern wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:40 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm

you must be high
^this guys favorite hobby is hating on WAC
He is one of those posters that just reads the IL scoreboards instead of actually watching the games. Looks like the young guys are getting comfortable, hoping the win against skidmore sparks some fire as they can grab these first 3 conference games if they lock in.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

I definitely agree that WAC can go 3-0 in their first 3 CC games, but don't think they'll be able to top Dickinson, Gettysburg, Swatmore. They need to hope those teams have an off day.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Week 1 predictions
Shoremen over McD
Gburg over UC
Dickinson over mules
Dips over Haverford

WC McDaniel could go either way, F&M haverford could be close too
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

Got a good feeling the Shoremen will bring that Top 25 win momentum over to Westminster this week. Could be the start of a nice little run and confidence booster for this group!
WCnotWAC

Post by WCnotWAC »

the_fish_whist1er wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:28 am Got a good feeling the Shoremen will bring that Top 25 win momentum over to Westminster this week. Could be the start of a nice little run and confidence booster for this group!
AMEN
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

CC Play is here lets make some picks(hopefully better then my NCAA bracket)

Gettysburg vs Ursinus- This is an interesting game especially after Ursinus's recent showings. Gettysburg even with their faceoff struggles has played arguably the toughest schedule in the nation and sits at 500., are the Bears their easiest game to date? Ursinus on the other hand has a few really good wins(recent) and a few very bad losses(to start the year). To me this comes down to Gettysburg just being more talented and deeper. Id expect some early Ursinus scoring but once GBurg settles in I see them running way with it, and Ursinus scoring a few garbage goals late 13-8

Washington vs Western Maryland(McDanie)l- I am nervous for this game. The Terror are a much improved program with a veteran goalie. Washington has a young(expierence) offense which could be a recipe for a long day. Faceoffs seem close, and the offenses seem pretty close in production as well. The one common opponent (RMC), beat the Shoremen 13-10, and the Terror 11-8. These teams(ive admittedly watched very little of the Terror) seem dead even. Im a homer so I am going to take the Shoremen 13-9(Please God)

Muhlenberg vs Dickinson- Another one that I think is close early that becomes an incontrol victory. Dickinson is just so expierenced all over the field and can beat you in so many ways. Muhlenberg does seem to be figuring some things especially on offense. In the end I am going to take expierence over youth and say Dickinson 14-8

F&M vs Haverford- Haverford always gives F&M problems for an half or so and then the Dips settle in. "F&Ming", is a real thing and nothing would be more poetic then this happening in the conference opener. Haverford has some okay wins and some real bad losses so Im not sure this upset is in the cards. Faceoffs will be the key for Haverford as they will need to get F&M out of their comfort zone and rhythm. Give me the Dips 14-10 as I think the rain might hurt F&M elite shooting
Ash()kG

Post by Ash()kG »

Shocking result at Haverford. Definitely some soul searching to be in Lancaster tonight. Haverford’s Abraham takes over in OT and orchestrates an EMO kill. Haverford will certainly be in the mix for the CC playoffs, Tietjen is quietly having one of the most productive seasons in the conference.

This is definitely a shake up in the landscape of the CC. The 3-7 seeds in the conference are much closer in skill level than a lot of you predicted, turn on the film. This parity was also showcased by Ursinus and WAC today.

Expect everybody to beat everybody.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Ash()kG wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:14 pm Shocking result at Haverford. Definitely some soul searching to be in Lancaster tonight. Haverford’s Abraham takes over in OT and orchestrates an EMO kill. Haverford will certainly be in the mix for the CC playoffs, Tietjen is quietly having one of the most productive seasons in the conference.

This is definitely a shake up in the landscape of the CC. The 3-7 seeds in the conference are much closer in skill level than a lot of you predicted, turn on the film. This parity was also showcased by Ursinus and WAC today.

Expect everybody to beat everybody.
Let's not crown Haverford as a playoff team yet, they'll sill finish bottom 3 of the conference.
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

Haverford taking down F&M made this write-up pretty pretty pretty accurate:

"F&M- F&M has talent,but will they show up on gameday and play a complete game on both sides of the ball. I do not think F&M will beat any of the teams above them but could easliy lose to a team in the next tier in a head scratcher. They are a solid 4 here based on talent"
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:40 pm CC Play is here lets make some picks(hopefully better then my NCAA bracket)

Gettysburg vs Ursinus- This is an interesting game especially after Ursinus's recent showings. Gettysburg even with their faceoff struggles has played arguably the toughest schedule in the nation and sits at 500., are the Bears their easiest game to date? Ursinus on the other hand has a few really good wins(recent) and a few very bad losses(to start the year). To me this comes down to Gettysburg just being more talented and deeper. Id expect some early Ursinus scoring but once GBurg settles in I see them running way with it, and Ursinus scoring a few garbage goals late 13-8

Washington vs Western Maryland(McDanie)l- I am nervous for this game. The Terror are a much improved program with a veteran goalie. Washington has a young(expierence) offense which could be a recipe for a long day. Faceoffs seem close, and the offenses seem pretty close in production as well. The one common opponent (RMC), beat the Shoremen 13-10, and the Terror 11-8. These teams(ive admittedly watched very little of the Terror) seem dead even. Im a homer so I am going to take the Shoremen 13-9(Please God)

Muhlenberg vs Dickinson- Another one that I think is close early that becomes an incontrol victory. Dickinson is just so expierenced all over the field and can beat you in so many ways. Muhlenberg does seem to be figuring some things especially on offense. In the end I am going to take expierence over youth and say Dickinson 14-8

F&M vs Haverford- Haverford always gives F&M problems for an half or so and then the Dips settle in. "F&Ming", is a real thing and nothing would be more poetic then this happening in the conference opener. Haverford has some okay wins and some real bad losses so Im not sure this upset is in the cards. Faceoffs will be the key for Haverford as they will need to get F&M out of their comfort zone and rhythm. Give me the Dips 14-10 as I think the rain might hurt F&M elite shooting
It was a great first weekend of conference play. Haverford's win already making things interesting when it comes to the 4/5 spots in the playoffs. Kai Kelly for F&M with 24 shots and only 3 goals, that is crazy!

Watching WAC vs McDaniel yesterday, McDaniel does not look improved at all. I think they hide behind an extremely weak out of conference schedule. I don't see them competing with anyone in the conference. WAC goes up 11-0 in the 1st half and unfortunately takes their foot off the gas for some reason. Hopefully that doesn't bite them in the butt Wednesday against an energized Haverford team.

WAC vs Haverford on Wednesday should be exciting.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

westernbestern wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:53 am
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:40 pm CC Play is here lets make some picks(hopefully better then my NCAA bracket)

It was a great first weekend of conference play. Haverford's win already making things interesting when it comes to the 4/5 spots in the playoffs. Kai Kelly for F&M with 24 shots and only 3 goals, that is crazy!

Watching WAC vs McDaniel yesterday, McDaniel does not look improved at all. I think they hide behind an extremely weak out of conference schedule. I don't see them competing with anyone in the conference. WAC goes up 11-0 in the 1st half and unfortunately takes their foot off the gas for some reason. Hopefully that doesn't bite them in the butt Wednesday against an energized Haverford team.

WAC vs Haverford on Wednesday should be exciting.
Interesting thoughts. Game seemed pretty even for the other 3 quarters from what I was watching. Our boys absolutely dominated the second quarter and the confidence kept growing from there, loved seeing the transition goals, I believe we had 5 in the second quarter alone. Faceoffs domination definitely helped as McDaniel was shut out for nearly the entire half. The second quarter was the best quarter we had all season from a team standpoint. My question is how does one explain nearly identical scores between Washington and McDaniel vs RMC if McDaniel isn’t improved? I think this is a good win for the Shoremen vs what could be a tough opponent

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”