Roanoke 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: Roanoke 2024

Post by Leonard Washington »

Roanoke vs. Essex Scrimmage Highlights

https://youtu.be/Z1tKP-hoKjY?si=Stml2F05jkrZ3JjB

Did anyone happen to catch it live?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Did anyone catch the game yesterday? It looked like the same team as the last few years. Some moments that looked really good and others that were a bit painful to watch. Just too many turnovers, the good teams will feast on those. Face off, SSDM and Goalie play will need to improve. I know it's just the first game so I'm holding out hope that we can steadily improve over the next few weeks. Alot of Freshman played and looked decent so that is encouraging.
Cardinal19

Post by Cardinal19 »

Watched most of game. 25 turnovers may work against average teams but not if we want to make some noise. Watched a lot of first games so far and no one looks good so maybe we can clean it up?!
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Game 2 in the books. I saw some improvement. Mary Washington is a solid team and Roanoke was probably a bit fortunate to win this game. Mary Wash may not have the depth of their opponents but they are not a pushover. For Roanoke to win a game like this showed some grit. I think we are going to struggle at the face off dot all year. I think we need to just try and make it a scrum and let the wings get involved. There have been too many clean face off wins against us in the first two games. Our goalie had a nice game. The post was his best friend as Mary Wash hit probably 10 pipes. He needs to work on his clearing game, show composure and just make the simple pass. He is a sophomore now so can't be using the Freshman excuse anymore. Our SSMD's looked better in this game and made it tough to dodge effectively. The clearing game needs to be worked on in practice because the better teams are going to make us pay for turnovers. Offensively we had a tough day getting real good looks, credit the Mary Wash D. I thought we moved the ball well but only saw a few instances of dodging effectively enough to create shots. Our shooting % was not great. Our effort has looked real strong in the first two games. That is the one thing they can control. This is the week to work out the kinks in the clearing game and get everyone at full health. I'm looking forward to the Grove City game.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:25 am Game 2 in the books. I saw some improvement. Mary Washington is a solid team and Roanoke was probably a bit fortunate to win this game. Mary Wash may not have the depth of their opponents but they are not a pushover. For Roanoke to win a game like this showed some grit. I think we are going to struggle at the face off dot all year. I think we need to just try and make it a scrum and let the wings get involved. There have been too many clean face off wins against us in the first two games. Our goalie had a nice game. The post was his best friend as Mary Wash hit probably 10 pipes. He needs to work on his clearing game, show composure and just make the simple pass. He is a sophomore now so can't be using the Freshman excuse anymore. Our SSMD's looked better in this game and made it tough to dodge effectively. The clearing game needs to be worked on in practice because the better teams are going to make us pay for turnovers. Offensively we had a tough day getting real good looks, credit the Mary Wash D. I thought we moved the ball well but only saw a few instances of dodging effectively enough to create shots. Our shooting % was not great. Our effort has looked real strong in the first two games. That is the one thing they can control. This is the week to work out the kinks in the clearing game and get everyone at full health. I'm looking forward to the Grove City game.
Interestingly, Randy-Mac beat UMW 13-8, week before, so appears, on paper, Noke and Randy-Mac are closer than anticipated at the beginning of the season. I think Noke gets better by season's end for sure.

valaxfan
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

The RMC - Noke games have been very close the last few years. The playoff game last year was a great game. I expect nothing less in 2024. RMC has been on a steady rise the last few years. They now have that beautiful new stadium. I expect their recruiting to get better just based on the new facilities.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Mary wash isn’t good, nice to win it but should have pulled away earlier. Mary wash goalie made 14 saves in the first half, I think if they turn a few more in it’s a different game. They wanted to pull away but couldn’t, had momentum and didn’t cash in, good experience winning a tight one but should have beat them handily. Faceoffs continue to be the Achilles heal. Ten man ride looked good in spots. I doubt pilat gave anyone a pat on the back after that game. They’ll get better. They have two weeks before they play a real opponent in Dickinson, Wesleyan, and F&M in a 3 game stretch to start March. This is a veteran team now, hopefully they can start to act like it. Hit it and love it.
zonedef

Post by zonedef »

BigFella wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:17 pm Mary wash isn’t good, nice to win it but should have pulled away earlier. Mary wash goalie made 14 saves in the first half, I think if they turn a few more in it’s a different game. They wanted to pull away but couldn’t, had momentum and didn’t cash in, good experience winning a tight one but should have beat them handily. Faceoffs continue to be the Achilles heal. Ten man ride looked good in spots. I doubt pilat gave anyone a pat on the back after that game. They’ll get better. They have two weeks before they play a real opponent in Dickinson, Wesleyan, and F&M in a 3 game stretch to start March. This is a veteran team now, hopefully they can start to act like it. Hit it and love it.
Watched the game and looking back at the stats and scoring summary not sure where Roanoke was going to pull away they were never up by more than 2. Noke won 8 of 23 faceoffs and were out shot by 20 and lost the GB battle. UMW had 5 hit pipes in the 4th, granted they need to shoot it better. If those are the only 2 fogos Roanoke is in for a long season.
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

Solid 4-0 start for this group. Mary Washington game closer than most people expected but good showing putting high goal #s up. 2 week gauntlet starts now
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

That was a complete game the Maroons played on Saturday. I'm not sure if Pfeiffer is really not that good or if we just played a very good game.
The highlight had to be the face off play of the freshman #49. He is fast once he gets the ball in his stick and made good decisions on the run.
Goalie play was really good, Feuer sits at 63% on the season, if he can maintain that then we will be dangerous.
Clearing was better but still a few hiccups. When they are patient and allow the middies to get open they make it look easy.
Midfield play and attack looked strong. I really like the way #40 pushes the ball, he has wheels and can get by most ssdm's.
The season starts this week with Grove City on Wed. This will be our biggest test thus far.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Good win from noke. Did not play their best on defense but mixed in some zone and Lewis got some time to spell Feuer. Noah Bell is emerging as a real player. Usual suspects on offense got going (2,41,9). Biggest stretch of the year coming up starting with Dickinson on Saturday. We’ll find out what kind of team Noke really has. DBMU
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I think it's safe to say the team is looking better than last year. I'm still not certain how good they are. They are getting contributions from alot of guys. The midfield is much deeper than the past few seasons. I don't think the D played too bad yesterday even though Grove City put up 14. 4 of their goals came off strange plays. Even though we scored 17 goals the attack missed what appeared to be easy looks and their shot selection was at times questionable. Noah Bell has been great thus far. He has a nice handle in traffic and can finish very well. That goal he scored near the end of the game - on the run bouncer into the upper corner - was sweet. The freshman LSM #35 has been very good as well, he scored yesterday and had a bunch of GB's.
Onto Dickinson. Will this be the year we beat them? We will need to have a good day in the clearing game, can't give them extra possessions. The face off battle will also be key. #49 has been steady and if he can just go 50/50 vs the stud from Dickinson then I think we have a decent chance.
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

I admit I did not think Noke would pull this one out, so pleasantly surprised by their win last night. Looks like 41 decided to flex his muscle a bit which is helpful when you play an actual team like Grove City. Hopefully his brother decides to pull up his jock and do the same on Saturday. That's not to say his 4 pts weren't a good day, but would love to see him go to the rack a bit more as we know he can.

I think yes Noke let up some soft ones, but Feuer seems to have found his groove a little. They have to get better at eliminating those little plays that turn into big numbers on the board. Death by a thousand paper cuts.

Excited to see them continue this stretch. I think they've woken up since that abysmal game at UMW, but they can use that game to really grit out some wins. Gonna need that big time...
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Deja Vu all over again. Another year and same tough result against Dickinson. They can't let this one game define the season.
It was a fairly even game and not much separates these two teams. Roanoke seems to have mini melt downs at critical moments.
In the last 10 minutes after taking the lead they went 0 for 5 on face offs, committed two penalties resulting in man down goals and gave up a long distance goal on the 10 man ride. If they can learn from this and the coaches can teach having a bit more composure than they will be ok.
They need to recover quickly as they face a talented Wesleyan team next.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:50 am Deja Vu all over again. Another year and same tough result against Dickinson. They can't let this one game define the season.
It was a fairly even game and not much separates these two teams. Roanoke seems to have mini melt downs at critical moments.
In the last 10 minutes after taking the lead they went 0 for 5 on face offs, committed two penalties resulting in man down goals and gave up a long distance goal on the 10 man ride. If they can learn from this and the coaches can teach having a bit more composure than they will be ok.
They need to recover quickly as they face a talented Wesleyan team next.
Ditto
richard

Post by richard »

Noke was in need of a goalie and a few more possessions today.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Tough day for the Maroons. Wesleyan is a very good team. They shoot the lights out.
Roanoke can't get to down about this game. I know they really want to beat a good team but they just need to move on and focus on F&M.
Face off will continue to be an issue this season. The freshman is good but you can't ask him to take every face off and be successful. He can't let the other guy get clean wins forward. Our wing play has been just ok and needs to step it up to help out.
Defensively it was an ugly game all around. Our slides were slow and when we did slide the fill was nowhere to be found. Our SSDM's did not have their best day as they were beat several times.
It's tough to fault our goalie that much. He started the game well but once Wesleyan got in their rhythm with wide open looks and started pinging the corners he didn't have much of a chance. His decisions in clearing were good so I will take that as a positive.
Now is the time to go on a run and build towards the big ODAC games.
richard

Post by richard »

Goalie needed to make adjustments. Wesleyan was shooting from his right from 12. They must have hit the offhand high ten times. If you know that is where they are going take some of it away to give them stickside high. He didn’t make tha adjustment. The all was moving pretty quickly though and they were accurate but jeez, make three more saves and get two more face offs and things get a bunch tighter. Noke offense was not getting much resistance
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Hit 81 North diplomats. Great win, big saves down the stretch. Big game from Evans. Time to get ready for ODAC play
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Nice win for the Maroons. I'm happy the boys got to celebrate. Great juice goal for the defender #44. Face off and wing play was better. Got 4th quarter defensive stops in a close game.
I don't like to nitpick after a win but we can be better by just valuing the ball at certain times of the game.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”