SUNY 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNY 2024

Post by dp68 »

The Red Dragons need to play a lot better Saturday if they want to beat Muhlenberg. I'm honestly more impressed with Geneseo losing by 10 to Salisbury than I am with Cortland winning by 3 against IWU. No offense to IWU, which is clearly improving. But I'd say the last two games for Cortland haven't looked great, especially on faceoffs and ground balls.
shouldofbeenbetter

Post by shouldofbeenbetter »

I can't disagree, I was surprised how close the Cortland game was.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Interesting games today.

Cortland vs. Muhlenberg - two quality teams. Muhlenberg started slowly but has improved a lot. Cortland started off hot and tapered off the last few games. Big test for both.

Geneseo at Maritime - I'll give Geneseo a slight edge, but this should be fun. Maritime is definitely good. If Maritime joined the SUNY instead of the two teams coming in, the league would gain a strong competitor.

Oneonta at Kean - Another competitive matchup. Kean is a close favorite, so this is a game in which Oneonta can prove themselves.

Oswego at Alfred - Same here. Give the edge to Alfred playing at home, but it's close.

Potsdam looks better out of the gate and should handle Morrisville.

New Paltz at Manhattanville - Neither team has impressed early on. Is it just me, or has New Paltz taken a big step backward?
shouldofbeenbetter

I watched the 4th qt of the New Paltz game and I would say that is not the same team as last year.
That was a bad loss for a SUNYAC team. In my opinion, but I'm a SUNYAC homer.
Nice win for Geneseo, and hopefully Cortland will come away with a win today.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Same story for Cortland. Lost the FO battle 17-9, lost ground balls 31-18. 17 Turnovers, only 4 forced.

The cupboard is pretty bare after several years of recruiting issues. I hope Rogers still has his recruiting magic and can turn around the downward momentum. Maybe I'm a prisoner of the moment, but I'll be very surprised if Geneseo doesn't beat Cortland.
shouldofbeenbetter

I watched the Potsdam game and the Brockport game yesterday.
dp68 I think we will know more about Potsdam soon, with the SUNYAC games starting.
I like Potsdam so far but we'll see where they stand in the SUNYAC with the league games starting.
Right now Oneonta, Oswego, Potsdam for the 3rd and 4th spot, I think we are in for some close games.
Brockport, which is the SUNY school I cheer for in all sports-- has me puzzled. 6 self inflicted turnovers in the 1st qt alone.
Brockport has a lot to offer a student athlete. Wide choice of majors, excellent athletic facilities, nice campus, lax players
should be looking to attend. Enjoy the games - Cortland vs Geneseo game coming up.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

So much for the way the last few games trended. Cortland wins 13-6 over Geneseo with a strong defensive showing. The Red Dragons were faster to the ball and looked hungry to take control of the league.

Geneseo needs to figure out its man-up offense. I expect we'll see these two again in the SUNY playoffs, hopefully with better weather conditions. Funny how winter didn't show up until spring officially started, lol.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Geneseo has looked lethargic/unmotivated numerous times this year.

Had a feeling there were going to lose this game but the final score does not indicate how dominant of a performance Cortland put forth.

On the road against RIT this Wednesday and home vs. Naz a week later for Cortland.

Meanwhile, Geneseo is home against Fisher and travels to Oneonta next week.

A split may be in the cards for one team, but if the other team splits, I'm not sure they can come back to Cortland on May 4th and win. As an aside, the Geneseo SID may want to change on their website where the SUNYAC Championship game is being played. :lol:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:04 pm Geneseo has looked lethargic/unmotivated numerous times this year.

Had a feeling there were going to lose this game but the final score does not indicate how dominant of a performance Cortland put forth.

On the road against RIT this Wednesday and home vs. Naz a week later for Cortland.

Meanwhile, Geneseo is home against Fisher and travels to Oneonta next week.

A split may be in the cards for one team, but if the other team splits, I'm not sure they can come back to Cortland on May 4th and win. As an aside, the Geneseo SID may want to change on their website where the SUNYAC Championship game is being played. :lol:
Oh, dude. I didn't know about the website thing, lol.

The biggest difference I see with Cortland this season is the defense. They lost some good poles last season, so I have to attribute the changes to coaching. How many Geneseo players ran into traps yesterday? Double-teams on the clear, coming around the crease, off the faceoff. Over and over, no adjustments from Geneseo.

This is very encouraging if you're a Cortland fan (which I am). But I don't put too much stock into any one game, no more than I believe Penn State was 11 goals better than Cornell. Two weeks later, Cornell looks like a borderline top-10 team again. I tend to believe Geneseo has quality coaching. They definitely outcoached Cortland last year - twice.

Question. If you love Geneseo, are you a little nervous on some level that Nick Fiorentino built this team and some of his recruits are still key players? We only have a little over two years of Drew Bezek, and his last year at Oswego seemed like a step backward. Do we really know yet? I feel like Bezek is "the guy", but if I were a Blue Knights fan, I'd still have my fingers crossed that last year wasn't the fruition of Fiorentino's legacy.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

1 PM - Potsdam at Oneonta: Unless one of these teams pulls a huge upset going forward, this game could decide the #4 spot in the SUNY playoffs. Both are capable of challenging for #3, but I really like what I see from Oswego.

Speaking of which, Oswego hosts Brockport tomorrow. If you follow Brockport (looking at you, shouldofbeenbetter), this is the game where you prove you belong.
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:52 am 1 PM - Potsdam at Oneonta: Unless one of these teams pulls a huge upset going forward, this game could decide the #4 spot in the SUNY playoffs. Both are capable of challenging for #3, but I really like what I see from Oswego.
And thud goes the "Read Dragons" from Oneonta. Wow and what an absolute beat down Potsdam gave them today, is really all I can say. Potsdam hasn't won a SUNYAC game by double digits since 2015. Kudos to them. 6-1 and picking up momentum as Berkman heads into the twilight of his coaching career. Excited to watch their game next Saturday at Oswego. It seems we have a clearer view of the pecking order currently in the SUNYAC's

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo
3. Oswego
4. Potsdam
5. New Paltz
6. Oneonta
7. Brockport
8. Plattsburgh
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

After St. Lawrence, Potsdam scheduled and beat 5 weak teams before beginning SUNY play. They took care of business. This was the first big league test, and they passed with high marks.

If you're Oneonta, is this truly all you can accomplish with one of the league's better attackers? No improvements over last season.

Good rankings, Leonard. I'd honestly move New Paltz down a spot until they prove they can beat a mid-tier SUNY team in 2024.
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:21 pm Good rankings, Leonard. I'd honestly move New Paltz down a spot until they prove they can beat a mid-tier SUNY team in 2024.
:lol:

What's funny is that I originally had Oneonta at 5 before I posted, based on who both teams have returning, their lack luster performances this year, etc. I thought about it a little more and what had me flip flop was the fact that New Paltz has beaten Oneonta the last two times they played.

Both teams are falling while Oswego and Potsdam climb on up. I'm old enough to remember when Coach Owens and company employed a zone defensively. Is it to late for that? ;)
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

What a game today for my Bears! Took care of business heading into a huge tilt next Saturday. I think Oswego/Potsdam might be the closest match in terms of talent within the league so I can only imagine it’ll be a tight one. If the Bears look good in this one, can they make a run at Geneseo? Excited to see it play out!! It’s been a few years since we had something to be excited in the NoCo
shouldofbeenbetter

Nice win for the Bears, congrats to them. I didn't see that coming, keep it up.
I'm a little surprise how Cortland handled Geneseo, I thought that was going to be closer.
We'll see tomorrow what Oswego has.
Tough loss for Oneonta but I will still rank them ahead of New Paltz.
shouldofbeenbetter

Ok, 9-5 win for Oswego, game was close throughout. 3-3 at half.
Oswego gets a few late goals to seal the game.
Both teams had too many self inflicted turnovers.
Difference in the two today, IMO was the Oswego offense was threatening on each possession.
Brockport didnt get anything out of their Attack. Bport middies keep them in the game.
Good luck to Oswego against Potsdam, should be a good one and will probably determine who will be the 3rd seed,
Bport has two winnable games coming up.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:43 pm Ok, 9-5 win for Oswego, game was close throughout. 3-3 at half.
Oswego gets a few late goals to seal the game.
Both teams had too many self inflicted turnovers.
Difference in the two today, IMO was the Oswego offense was threatening on each possession.
Brockport didnt get anything out of their Attack. Bport middies keep them in the game.
Good luck to Oswego against Potsdam, should be a good one and will probably determine who will be the 3rd seed,
Bport has two winnable games coming up.
Agreed, battle of the midfields incoming, and both look up for it! Slight advantage to Oswego being home, but then again I’m really loving how Thompson has come into his own this season and could be the difference maker.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I feel like Potsdam is the clear #3 after the latest game results. Laxmath actually rates Potsdam at #2, right behind Cortland. That might be a bit aggressive, but the Bears look better than they have in years.
shouldofbeenbetter

Can't disagree with you dp68, The Bears should be pumped and have a good week of practice to get ready for Saturday.
Good for them ! I'm not ready to pencil them in the # 2 spot yet. Saturday is a big game for both Lakers & Bears.
Geneseo was manhandled by Cortland, we saw that. I still think they are better than Oswego & Potsdam, But we will find out soon.
Enjoy the lax.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Geneseo is a good team. I've run a rating system since 2016, and the numbers show Geneseo only 2-3 goals behind Cortland, even after their latest game. I noticed Laxmath agrees.

Going into this week's games, I felt Potsdam, Oneonta, and Oswego were all pretty interchangeable. Doesn't appear that way anymore. The Potsdam - Oswego game should be very interesting.

As for your Golden Eagles, it all begins with coaching. Brockport has good facilities and an athletic program that excels across multiple sports. There's no reason they can't be at least as good as Plattsburgh was under Cavanagh. There were several occasions during the Brockport-Oswego game when I rolled my eyes. Brockport unable to complete simple clearing passes seems unfathomable.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”