Lynchburg 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaxGuru27

Lynchburg 2024

Post by LaxGuru27 »

Not sure why this has never been a thing but its time Lynchburg has their own topic
JPAtlantic

Re: Lynchburg 2024

Post by JPAtlantic »

Looking forward to Lynchburg vs UVA on 2/3!
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

Can someone provide an updated depth chart? I know the ODAC thread had some good conversation about Lynchburg.

Who is returning for 5th/6th years?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

LaxGuru27 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:08 am Not sure why this has never been a thing but its time Lynchburg has their own topic
They definitely deserve this. Should be the Pre-Season Number 1 team in the ODAC.

valaxfan
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Caught the youtube doc...Great work!
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

LILaxGuy08 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:32 am Can someone provide an updated depth chart? I know the ODAC thread had some good conversation about Lynchburg.

I'd love to chime in. I think Lynchburg has the best chance out of the ODAC teams to make a deep run into April and eventually May. The current 5th year class looks like:

Riley Mitchell #1
Dylan Wolfe #55
Ian McCarthy #5
Ethan Cotter #22
Henri Marindin #??
Dylan Shuster #28
Tyler Hadley #0

Obviously, getting back that much talent is huge... but looking deeper, the growth from last year's freshman class is paramount in this year's success. The three starting attack man from last year are now all sophomores and look faster and stronger. Physical growth, but also chemistry growth, throughout the fall and summer will pay dividends. This team is deep. Could easily run three lines of very talented players. First line will be one of the most dynamic in the country. Riley Mitchell, one of the best pure dodgers in the country and can truly go either way. Jake Rust has one of the best and quickest shots of any midfield in the ODAC and a very strong player. Dylan Wolfe is a strong lefty with a snipe and can balance out the right-handed dominance of the other two midfielders. Simply not enough long poles for this group. If you double pole the midfield, that leaves Spencer Vanderberg #38 with a short-stick. Spencer, a well-renowned 'inside guy', has taken his game to another level and looks more athletic and fast... looks to be more of a dodging threat this spring. So, you double pole the midfield and leave a SSDM disadvantaged on one of the attack. Someone who I'm predicting will have an all-ODAC and all-American campaign is the quarterback of this offense in Riley Hastings. Demanded the assignment from the opposing team's top cover guy last year and didn't blink. As good as he is with orchestrating the offense from X and being a distributor, he is an even better finisher and slasher. Pair him with Finn Schmidt #27 and there are shades of the dominance displayed by Kyle Lewis and Ryan Kenney of years past. Finn Schmidt is highly dynamic player, and one who excels at the unstructured and fast-break style that Lynchburg so often craves. These three attackman will be one of the best in the country this year, and their senior seasons will be remarkable. 3 more years of these guys... Lynchburg fans should be grateful.

Faceoff unit also looks to build on success from last year. Michael Kraus #56 and Riley Frankel #19 will be a great tandem this upcoming year. Riley Frankel has made some impressive plays throughout the season and I'm excited to watch his growth as a sophomore. Can handle the rock very well for a FOGO and will be used in ways that Kraus will not. They, together, will form a very nice tandem that can and will be used on a matchup basis. Long poles and short sticks are all very athletic and have good sticks. Damrinio was phenomenal on the wings last year and his presence may slightly be felt, but I'm not expecting a drop-off in production and creativity.

Defense will be just as strong, if not better, as last year. Hadley is back in cage putting up finishing touches on great career. Zingo and Marindin will, and have, form one of the best on-ball defender tandems in the NCAA. Question becomes, who will be the third defender? There are several guys competing for that spot and it will be interesting to see who comes away with it. This defense plays with tenacity and athleticism not often found in the ODAC.

Lynchburg is the clear favorite in the ODAC right now. Though unseated in the ODAC championship last year, I expect them to bounce back and perform at an excellent level. There seems to be a certain hunger and desire about this team and I'm excited to watch this year.

#GUILFORD LAX DAD
Last edited by LAXDADGUILFORD on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:25 pm
LILaxGuy08 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:32 am Can someone provide an updated depth chart? I know the ODAC thread had some good conversation about Lynchburg.

I'd love to chime in. I think Lynchburg has the best chance out of the ODAC teams to make a deep run into April and eventually May. The current 5th year class looks like:

Riley Mitchell #1
Dylan Wolfe #55
Ian McCarthy #5
Ethan Cotter #22
Henri Marindin #??
Dylan Shuster #28
Tyler Hadley #0

Obviously having back that much talent is huge... but looking deeper, the growth from last year's freshman class is paramount in this year's team success. The three starting attack man from last year are no all sophomores and look faster and stronger. Physical growth but chemistry growth in the fall and summer will pay dividends in the future. This team is deep. Could easily run three lines of very talented players. First line will be one of the most dynamic in the country. Riley Mitchell, one of the best pure dodgers in the country and truly can go either way. Jake Rust has one of the best and quickest shots of any midfield in the ODAC and a strong player. Dylan Wolfe is a strong lefty with a snipe and can balance out the right-hand dominance in the other two midfielders. Simply not enough long polls for this group. If you double poll the midfield, that leaves Spencer Vanderberg #38 with a short-stick. Spencer, a well-renowned 'inside guy' has taken his game to another level and looks more athletic and fast... looks to be more of a dodging threat this spring. So, you double poll the midfield and leave a SSDM disadvantaged on one of the attack.

Faceoff unit also looks to build on success from last year. Michael Kraus #56 and Riley Frankel #19 will be a great tandem this upcoming year. Riley Frankel has made some impressive plays throughout the season and I'm excited to watch his growth as a sophomore. Can handle the rock very well for a FOGO and will be used in ways that Kraus will not. They, together, will form a very nice tandem that can and will be used on a matchup basis. Long poles and short sticks are all very athletic and have good sticks. Damrinio was phenomenal on the wings last year and his presence may slightly be felt, but I'm not expecting a drop-off in production and creativity.

Defense will be just as strong, if not better, as last year. Hadley is back in cage putting up finishing touches on great career. Zingo and Marindin will, and have, form one of the best on-ball defender tandems in the NCAA. Question becomes, who will be the third defender? There are several guys competing for that spot and it will be interesting to see who comes away with it. This defense plays with tenacity and athleticism not often found in the ODAC.

Lynchburg is the clear favorite in the ODAC right now. Though unseated in the ODAC championship last year, I expect them to bounce back and perform at an excellent level. There seems to be a certain hunger and desire about this team and I'm excited to watch this year.

#GUILFORD LAX DAD
Hadley and Mitchell alone are enough to tip the scales for putting Lynchburg over the top in the ODAC. The other 5 are just icing in the cake. W&L could be the same or slightly better than last year. If goal play is fixed and the fogo’s are as good as I think they are they have a shot to rival last years team. Curious to see who runs on the first 2 mid lines. Losing Pokorny is tough ( 100 plus pts aren’t easy to fill) but there’s enough talent there to make up for some of it. Lynchburg appears to be loaded I wish last years W&L seniors could have a fifth year. If they did I’d have them over Lynchburg
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Watch out for sealey. Was a stud at one of the best high schools in the country and missed his freshman year with injury. Mark it. If he doesn’t start, he will be on the second line
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:58 pm Watch out for sealey. Was a stud at one of the best high schools in the country and missed his freshman year with injury. Mark it. If he doesn’t start, he will be on the second line
My point exactly. This team is DEEP. Sealey would've likely have been a second-line middle last year. This team will have insane depth through the midfield. Guys like Ian McCarthy, Gabe Menchaca, Grant Voigt, Robert Kirkland, Parker Sealey, and other freshman that will be impact players. There will be plenty of depth on this year's Lynchburg midfield lines.

If one was to point to an area of 'weakness' for this years team, it might be the relative youth of the SSDM position. But I'll say, those guys are athletic and strong. Alex Blanchard, who missed all of last year, had experience as a freshman and will be one of the older guys at that group. Cole Zacharias #21 played great last year. Luke Meadows, AJ Stratton, Luke Brookman, DeSouza, Hayes, and Olmstead will round out that group. Think this will be an experienced and well-balanced group. Thinking Blanchard, Brookman can take bigger downhill dodgers and leave the other midfielder to their running mate. Also excited for the LSMs on this team. Shuster is rangey, but has a tendency towards risky checks and playing too much with his stick. Good in the middle of the field at covering ground and playing a 'free safety' type of role in the riding game. 2nd LSM spot will likely boil down to Mahoney and Palma. Both are great players and guys. Understand the scheme and are heady. Could easily see a 3 man rotation at LSM with Shuster taking ~50% of the reps and leaving Palma and Mahoney ~25 a piece. Very excited for this season.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:25 pm

Riley Mitchell #1
Dylan Wolfe #55
Ian McCarthy #5
Ethan Cotter #22
Henri Marindin #??
Dylan Shuster #28
Tyler Hadley #0

Obviously, getting back that much talent is huge... but looking deeper, the growth from last year's freshman class is paramount in this year's success. The three starting attack man from last year are now all sophomores and look faster and stronger. Physical growth, but also chemistry growth, throughout the fall and summer will pay dividends. This team is deep. Could easily run three lines of very talented players. First line will be one of the most dynamic in the country. Riley Mitchell, one of the best pure dodgers in the country and can truly go either way. Jake Rust has one of the best and quickest shots of any midfield in the ODAC and a very strong player. Dylan Wolfe is a strong lefty with a snipe and can balance out the right-handed dominance of the other two midfielders. Simply not enough long poles for this group. If you double pole the midfield, that leaves Spencer Vanderberg #38 with a short-stick. Spencer, a well-renowned 'inside guy', has taken his game to another level and looks more athletic and fast... looks to be more of a dodging threat this spring. So, you double pole the midfield and leave a SSDM disadvantaged on one of the attack. Someone who I'm predicting will have an all-ODAC and all-American campaign is the quarterback of this offense in Riley Hastings. Demanded the assignment from the opposing team's top cover guy last year and didn't blink. As good as he is with orchestrating the offense from X and being a distributor, he is an even better finisher and slasher. Pair him with Finn Schmidt #27 and there are shades of the dominance displayed by Kyle Lewis and Ryan Kenney of years past. Finn Schmidt is highly dynamic player, and one who excels at the unstructured and fast-break style that Lynchburg so often craves. These three attackman will be one of the best in the country this year, and their senior seasons will be remarkable. 3 more years of these guys... Lynchburg fans should be grateful.

Faceoff unit also looks to build on success from last year. Michael Kraus #56 and Riley Frankel #19 will be a great tandem this upcoming year. Riley Frankel has made some impressive plays throughout the season and I'm excited to watch his growth as a sophomore. Can handle the rock very well for a FOGO and will be used in ways that Kraus will not. They, together, will form a very nice tandem that can and will be used on a matchup basis. Long poles and short sticks are all very athletic and have good sticks. Darminio was phenomenal on the wings last year and the lack of his presence will be felt, but I'm not expecting a major drop-off in production and creativity.

Defense will be just as strong, if not better than last year. Hadley is back in cage putting up finishing touches on great career. Zingo and Marindin have, and will continue to form one of the best on-ball defender tandems in the NCAA. Question becomes, who will be the third defender? There are several guys competing for that spot and it will be interesting to see who comes away with it. This defense plays with tenacity and athleticism not often found in the ODAC.

#GUILFORD LAX DAD
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Depth on O is deepest. Entire starting and 2nd line offense return. #55 Wolfe and #1 Mitchel 5th years. Wolfe presses the edge and is injury prone.
#2 Grant Voigt was injured at Jacksonville had #20 points filling when Wolfe out and helped anchor 2nd line.
#5 Iron man Ian Mitchell 5th year ran 2nd line and played all all 22 games.
#6 Conner Moore played 21 game on 2nd line.
#4 BIG downhill dodger with a cannon Robert Kirkland really came into his own late last year. Had big goal vs. St. John Fisher..
Lots of other younger Middie #30 Gabe Manchacia and #46 AJ Stratton particularly have high ceilings
On attack all 3 Freshman return bigger/stronger
#50 Charlie Evan is a BIG sharp shooter lefty played UP all year.
#51 Cater Baez - don’t know if he returned. He started before injured at early 1st game vs. Hamilton at Mustang.. if he is back the depth chart is very deep.

Defense returns 5th year Hadley in goal, sr. Dom Zingo and 5th year Marindin.
Have to replace Quinn but there was talk #16 Steve Ulrich may have started last year had he not been injury. He started in fall.
#13 Sam Steele from Pembroke Mass
#12 Sr. Will Shimer, #17 Conner Harlacher, #32 Rob Hakes 4th year and other sophs. Round out depth.

LSM #28 5th year Dylan Schuster slick lefty and #44 Darren Palma were 2&3 behind Darminio. Palma will surprise. Smallish but athletic in transition and a nose for GB’s. He probably on Wings for FO.. not much depth here.

SSDM lose 2 Sr’a Cole Nestor and RJ Barnes.
#31 Luke Meadows, #21 Cole Zacharias and #40 Luke Brookman all return. Meadows probably on wing for FO’s.
Some depth but these 3 will be fine.

FO both Kraus and Frankel return. Controlling clean FO wins was an issue last year.. should improve.

Always an incoming Freshman who contribute.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Had the chance to watch Lynchburg mow down Cabrini early last season. Mitchell was just of the charts. Even I knew what he wanted from the stands and he still got to it. The rest of the parts were impressive, but he was the catalyst offensively in that game.

Watched y'all take on CNU and then the NCAA Tufts broadcast. It didn't really seem like you were out of the game athletically, but that blitzing style combined with the Jumbo's size was just overwhelming. I like your chances this year. Coach K is top notch. Fantastic fan/alumni/families as well. Few would be more deserving.

Culturally, which I'm an outsider, so I realize this is probably just some nonsense, but the goal cele's still loom large for me. Seems like the boys were more interested in celebrating the goal than gearing up for the next play. They were def having fun and deservedly so, I just felt it was like a "pay attention to me" vibe. I don't know if that's bad or good in today's game. Small sample size only watching a few live games.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:58 am Had the chance to watch Lynchburg mow down Cabrini early last season. Mitchell was just of the charts. Even I knew what he wanted from the stands and he still got to it. The rest of the parts were impressive, but he was the catalyst offensively in that game.

Watched y'all take on CNU and then the NCAA Tufts broadcast. It didn't really seem like you were out of the game athletically, but that blitzing style combined with the Jumbo's size was just overwhelming. I like your chances this year. Coach K is top notch. Fantastic fan/alumni/families as well. Few would be more deserving.

Culturally, which I'm an outsider, so I realize this is probably just some nonsense, but the goal cele's still loom large for me. Seems like the boys were more interested in celebrating the goal than gearing up for the next play. They were def having fun and deservedly so, I just felt it was like a "pay attention to me" vibe. I don't know if that's bad or good in today's game. Small sample size only watching a few live games.
Appreciate your honesty in regards to being an outsider to the program. I would imagine that the goal celebrations and 'pay attention to me vibe' is a way for the guys, who typically would not see the field, to stay engaged in the game. It provides energy and momentum for any squad, Lynchburg no exception. I would go as far to say that Lynchburg is unique in the aspect of having no orchestrated or planned celebrations. Other programs in the country have their celebrations planned, which goes to your point of 'more interested in celebrating'...

CNU v. Lynchburg is always an incredibly competitive and hard-fought game. The final has come down to a couple of plays in each of the past few years. Not sure who returns on CNU, but would imagine #28, #1, #22, #24 G, and #56. #28 started the year off well, but-- to me --seemed as though he cooled down. Was at Lynchburg game and will say they handled him nicely; Darminio played well against him. Would imagine they have #28 Shuster on him this year... or bump up #43 Zingo to midfield to cover. Should be a great game, but a real shame that it will be played in Newport News, VA. Played in one of the best collegiate lacrosse environments this past year now to one of the worst this upcoming year. Would imagine it will be an afternoon game as well. Few, if any, in the nation can match Shellenberger's homefield energy and advantage.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:39 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:58 am Had the chance to watch Lynchburg mow down Cabrini early last season. Mitchell was just of the charts. Even I knew what he wanted from the stands and he still got to it. The rest of the parts were impressive, but he was the catalyst offensively in that game.

Appreciate your honesty in regards to being an outsider to the program. I would imagine that the goal celebrations and 'pay attention to me vibe' is a way for the guys, who typically would not see the field, to stay engaged in the game. It provides energy and momentum for any squad, Lynchburg no exception. I would go as far to say that Lynchburg is unique in the aspect of having no orchestrated or planned celebrations. Other programs in the country have their celebrations planned, which goes to your point of 'more interested in celebrating'...

CNU v. Lynchburg is always an incredibly competitive and hard-fought game. The final has come down to a couple of plays in each of the past few years. Not sure who returns on CNU, but would imagine #28, #1, #22, #24 G, and #56. #28 started the year off well, but-- to me --seemed as though he cooled down. Was at Lynchburg game and will say they handled him nicely; Darminio played well against him. Would imagine they have #28 Shuster on him this year... or bump up #43 Zingo to midfield to cover. Should be a great game, but a real shame that it will be played in Newport News, VA. Played in one of the best collegiate lacrosse environments this past year now to one of the worst this upcoming year. Would imagine it will be an afternoon game as well. Few, if any, in the nation can match Shellenberger's homefield energy and advantage.
Agreed with some of the analysis until you said that CNU has one of the worst lacrosse environments. Haven’t been down there in person but every game that I have seen on live stream seems like a good environment to have a big game played. Shellenberger is definitely a better environment, but to say it’s one of the worst in lacrosse seems a little ridiculous. Also, according to Lynchburg schedule it says the game will be played at 6pm.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

#28 started the year off well, but-- to me --seemed as though he cooled down. Was at Lynchburg game and will say they handled him nicely; Darminio played well against him. Would imagine they have #28 Shuster on him this year... or bump up #43 Zingo to midfield to cover. Should be a great game, but a real shame that it will be played in Newport News, VA. Played in one of the best collegiate lacrosse environments this past year now to one of the worst this upcoming year.
The same #28 that had 2G/3A including the Game tying goal in regulation with 4 seconds left and the GW assist in OT? He was consistently dominant all year and the only games he didn’t put up #’s he was getting locked off.

Also not sure if you’ve been to game at CNU.. They always get a big showing for big games. Pretty electric environment there down in NN. Obviously Lynchburg has one of the best environments in the country, but I think saying CNU has “one of the worst” is a bit of a bad take.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

As for best or worst environment, it’s all relative. We are talking D3 lacrosse with schools that all have less than 5k students (except a handful). Most games (and I have been to many D3 venues) are mostly friends, family, and a handful of students. I doubt many games ever get more than a few hundred people watching. Lynchburg has a great stadium, but so does Salisbury, Roanoke, Stevenson, HSC, RMC. CNU has a nice setup. And they are one of the larger schools, so I would say they represent pretty good.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

CNU has great crowd support, nice facilities. The game I attended they at 500 fans, and the visiting team was from NJ. The roster is stacked, #28 and #56 from Salisbury are the best "O" players in D3. They have other guys then the ones you mentioned as well, #47 is a lefty sniper, good size with a quick shot. CNU has to be the favorite to win the NC in 2024.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Totally didn't mean to throw stones. Maybe I'm just a aging Grinch with all of the cele creativity. I love an active, engaged, vocal, call amplifying bench. It's an advantage when your role players genuinely want to see their brothers ball out. A quiet bench is a losing bench. If the celebrations are a way for them to keep that engagement so be it.

Shellenberger is what it is because of the amazing student body/parents/fans. I think it's up there with the best environments in DIII. When I was playing HS ball and on the come up, my favorite local spot was Widener Univ. Memorial Field. OMG man, from like 1996-1999 it was raucous. Students would surround the field, watch the game from their dorms. Beers flowing. Fantastic $h!t talking. I distinctly remember watching them play Clarkson in like 1999. Really fun. I digress.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Lynchburg, CNU, UPENN, and UVA are scrimmaging on Feb 3 @ Episcopal High School in Alexandria. Do we know times yet, or has it not been released?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”