W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: W&L 2024

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:05 pm I think that Ott may replace Allen. He’s capable, but not quite as dynamic.
Good choice, he’s a smart player, doesn’t need to play outside of himself to be a big piece in this contest. Allen did not look good, any feedback. Love to see him back this year
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:05 pm I think that Ott may replace Allen. He’s capable, but not quite as dynamic.
That is the logical choice, a senior, can score. I was hoping John Lane might be ready to step up.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Hopefully it is just a sprain. Last year we thought we lost Hillis Burns for the season. He missed one game and then was back.

I’m hoping that it is not something like the Garrett Mize injury. He tried to come back, but got reinjured and never played again. And what a talent he was. Like Allen, he could accelerate right around a defender to create a one on one with the goalie.

Allen was on crutches after the game but didn’t look to be totally incapacitated. Then again, it isn’t easy to see if there is an ACL or MCL when someone is putting some weight on one leg and the other leg is tightly wrapped.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:03 pm Hopefully it is just a sprain. Last year we thought we lost Hillis Burns for the season. He missed one game and then was back.

I’m hoping that it is not something like the Garrett Mize injury. He tried to come back, but got reinjured and never played again. And what a talent he was. Like Allen, he could accelerate right around a defender to create a one on one with the goalie.

Allen was on crutches after the game but didn’t look to be totally incapacitated. Then again, it isn’t easy to see if there is an ACL or MCL when someone is putting some weight on one leg and the other leg is tightly wrapped.
Sounds like you were at the game too. The Gennies contingent at the game, discussed it and felt like the injury was more severe than Hillis last year but none of them are doctors, so hoping it was a sprain of sorts.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:03 pm Hopefully it is just a sprain. Last year we thought we lost Hillis Burns for the season. He missed one game and then was back.

Mize was special what a shame his career was cut short. Allen can just run by people. After seeing tape on Lane and coming from such a good program I’ve never understood how he hasn’t managed to get more PT, has it been injury related. I hate comparative scores. I know they mean nothing. Having said that I find myself thinking ahead after ( mistake) the York/RIT game thinking W&L has a shot… York was a play away from winning it. I also watched RIT, not beat, but maul Denison, it was particularly ugly. Bottom line RIT and CNU with all their 5th years seems to be a bridge too far
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I don’t think that Denison was the same team vs W&L that opened the season. They and their coach were not only familiar with the Generals, but out for revenge. They were ironing out some rust in game 1, while W&L in their first game was doing the same and almost beat York.

My conclusion? They need to forgo the “deer in the headlights” reaction to starting these games and play well defensively first, create some frustration with turnovers, and bury their offensive chances. This will help us in the tough ODAC games. (Assuming our confidence has not been beaten down)

I think that the Gettysburg and Stevenson games loom even larger now, since we lost the York game and will not be favored against RIT, and with at least 4 tough ODAC contests on the horizon. I hope that with all of the talent on this team, they don’t miss their window to do some real damage in the NCAA Tournament.(assuming they are able to qualify) With the Covid 5th and 6th year players coming to an end, they should be able to recruit successfully via their success on the field, unless, as I said in a previous post, they have “bitten off more than they can chew.”
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

And I forgot to mention that they also have CNU on the schedule as well.

And, hopefully, there are no more injuries with which to contend.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Lacrosse Reference has a summary of the game:

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/expec ... H537je33KI
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dehunt,

That was a great take on how the game developed.
Dehuntshigwa’es

That summary I believe is AI generated.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

No doubt, but interesting percentages nonetheless.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:14 pm That summary I believe is AI generated.
100% they are. but still cool to get media
Dehuntshigwa’es

Brutal weekend, RIT Friday , Stevenson Sat. Curious as to how the coaches play this. No disrespect but try as they might RIT after witnessing the close game W&L played with Denison the players, not the coaches are looking at Tufts. Gotta give credit to Coach for this schedule very ambitious but appropriate if you want to get better. Can’t imagine how you approach this weekend. Do you go all in on RIT have Spano take all the draws or use a pitch count. If he’s hot id think you’d have to ride him to the end or until a realistic point in the game. Down by 10 in the 4th I guess you’d pull him. Overall it’s not a win or go home like the NCAA’s you get to play the next day. Love to see with all substitutions a burn the boat win at all costs against RIT. York almost pulled it off so can W&L. Stevenson will have a very tough Lynchburg game to contend with. Assuming the D has fewer lapses and the O which I think has played well can get to 12-13 in each contest the game could be about the 2 freshmen having the most critical roles. So many variables to play out I can’t wait.

Btw any word on Allen, he’ll be back or season ending injury. Also Barringer who had a great season last year is on the roster but no action, injury? Hope it’s not long
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Generals vs Gettysburg.

Good luck against the Bullets. Weather does not look promising, not sure who that favors. Gennies will need to win the faceoff battle, and the defense has to be ready to play well, and Offense continue scoring, against a very good Bullets team. This will be a test.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

valaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:33 am Generals vs Gettysburg.

Good luck against the Bullets. Weather does not look promising, not sure who that favors. Gennies will need to win the faceoff battle, and the defense has to be ready to play well, and Offense continue scoring, against a very good Bullets team. This will be a test.

valaxfan
So hard to take off my Royal Blue sunglasses sometimes. Despite only 1 win since 2005. I do think there is a way to a W this season. Lynchburg look terrible in their loss which was a season opener. The bugs despite hammering the Bullets on face offs just played poorly everywhere else. Gettysburg has a definite weakness on face offs, but have been getting very good goal tending. I think W&L will win face offs by a significant factor or could. Hoping W&L can generate a 50% save percentage in the cage. Let’s defend the middle of the field and limit between the hash shots. Offensively the Generals will get their chances as did Lynchburg. Difference was I thought Hornets were out of sync and took too many poor quality shots. Thinking or at least hoping this goes to the wire and Gennies take it. Nice way to generate momentum for Mustang Tournament .. Gennies also have an advantage with their Ssdm’s Beatty and Cohen I’d ride those guys hard in this game they could make the difference, keep them out there if they pull a good match up
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

It is a difficult choice. Risk losing a number of games to have a meaningful postseason, or win most games with less chance to go deep against better teams you didn’t play. At the same time, like the womens’ team that plays very tough against top 5 teams, but could be 1-4 after this weekend, at some point, even losing to tough teams won’t get you into the postseason.

By the same token, giving it your best shot against top 5 teams, will likely pay off either now, or next year. The one unknown is how it might help or hurt recruiting.

I personally am putting my royal blue sunglasses back on and hoping for the best. It’s about time we get a little payback for countless games that we have lost at even at home by a handful of goals. We conquered the York jinx last year. Now it is time to do something unexpected about Gettysburg and CNU. Sometimes it is a mental matter of just overcoming themselves. Just because W&L hasn’t beaten them, doesn’t mean they can’t.

All hands on deck.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

In other news, W&L's women's basketball team won 61-55 last night to advance to the D3 Elite 8/quarterfinals tonight. Soph sensation Mary Schleusner, had 34 points and 33 rebounds. Go Generals.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

VaLax,

I have been following her. Even the opposing team’s play by play teams are saying at every game “we are witnessing history.” She also had 3 blocks and 5 steals and this happens just about every game. The team they beat last night, Rhode Island College, was 29-0.

The team they play tonight, Wartburg, is very tough and deep. Sort of like Tufts mens soccer that W&L beat last Fall.

Go W&L, beat Wartburg AND Gettysburg.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Spano wins 6 out of 7 and De Cain is 4 for 4 in first qtr freshman leading the way. Great goal with both Beatty and cohen on the field together for a score 6-0 first qtr. Gennies looking good. Gburg O is getting cold can’t get the ball

Huge goal making it 9-2 and Spano wins the face off. Very tough to come back with Spano winning at this rate. De Cain if he plays 50 % lots of time but Generals are playing very well. Halftime, hoping Generals keep it going w Spano taking the draw and getting that first goal in the third qtr, deflating for an opponent.. Let’s see how the Generals play with a nice lead, hope they get keep the heat turned up heading into Mustang. Come out in the third like it’s a tie game

Gennies freshman did not disappoint, Spano 20 out of 25 on face offs ( thought he might go off but never thought of these numbers) De Cain goes 50 %. Spano also chipped in 2 goals. D played very well and the O took care of all the additional possessions that were created by Spano. Gburg out shot Generals but a lot were from man up or just desperation shots. I thought the D was all over them. Spano is a weapon that will only get better. Lots to smile about, not just De Cain and Spano, great play across the board. Got to give the players and especially the coaches a lot of credit on how this team has transformed over the last 2 seasons.

Interesting match up against RIT at the dot coming up. Allyn French a 5th year probably 23, state wrestling champ, 5’10” 215 lbs prototypical fogo. Spano more than held his own at York against 5th year Facciponti ( Spano went 50%)who is similar in style. Going 50% would be a really good day
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Great start and intensity for 60 minutes today. Spano had an incredible day and the offense really moved the ball. Defense made very few mistakes and DeCain did more than enough.

Next weekend will be interesting.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”