Notre Dame 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jjclawson2

Re: Notre Dame 2024

Post by jjclawson2 »

Thanks for summary of this past weekend. Feels like injuries could play a significant role early in year.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

jjclawson2 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:27 pm Thanks for summary of this past weekend. Feels like injuries could play a significant role early in year.
I'm sure they will. I think they can survive the first 3 games but once March comes there isn't a single gimme game on the schedule. I'm excited to see what Jake Taylor can do with an entire year under his belt. I'm not sure he's played a full season yet.
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

azim21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:54 am I was at the Notre Dame National Coaching Clinic this past weekend and here's some of the takeaways from seeing the Irish practice as well as play in a scrimmage against Detroit Mercy:

Pat and Chris Kavanagh's health: Pat wore a red pennie at practice on Saturday. It's clear they're being very cautious with him returning from shoulder surgery this past fall. He didn't suit up for the scrimmage either. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold him out or limit his playing time in the first two or three games this spring. March 3rd against Maryland seems like the time they'd have to unleash him. I didn't see Chris Kavanagh practice on Saturday and he also did not suit up in the scrimmage on Sunday. Not sure exactly what he's dealing with but if the Irish are without both by the time March rolls around that's a major cause for concern. Will Maheras and Jeffery Ricciardelli looked decent as their replacements, but there's no replacing those two and it was against Detroit Mercy so not sure what to make of that.

Irish Defense: I feel like all the talk with the Irish leading into this season has been how is Notre Dame going to replace Chris Fake. Conlin will be the #1 pole but it looks like 6-3 200 pound Freshman Shawn Lyght will slide in as the new starter on Defense. I wish I would have gotten to see him go against Chirs Kavanagh (who wasn't at practice) but he made some plays during the intersquad scrimmage that makes me think this defense won't skip a beat. That, along with Entenmann playing at the level that he's playing at makes me think this defense should be just as good as last years team. Just might have to find other ways to stop the #1 scoring threat on teams unless Conlin can be that shut down defender like Fake was.

Jordan Faison: I shouldn't be surprised considering his success on the football team, but this kid is the real deal. His speed and change of direction are top notch. Looks like he'll be a second line middie this season and his ability to run the invert should result in many scoring opportunities for the Irish. In the 3rd quarter, once a few substitutes made their way onto the field, the Irish started to play a little lackadaisical (Detroit won the 3rd 3-1). Not sure what was said but Faison and a Detroit Mercy player got into it and had a little fight in the last minute or two of the 3rd. That seemed to light a fire under the Irish and they destroyed Detroit in the 4th quarter 13-1.
Thank you for the review of what you saw.. by any chance did you see Buchner play and if there was anything notable from him
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Laxfan016 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 am
azim21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:54 am I was at the Notre Dame National Coaching Clinic this past weekend and here's some of the takeaways from seeing the Irish practice as well as play in a scrimmage against Detroit Mercy:

Pat and Chris Kavanagh's health: Pat wore a red pennie at practice on Saturday. It's clear they're being very cautious with him returning from shoulder surgery this past fall. He didn't suit up for the scrimmage either. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold him out or limit his playing time in the first two or three games this spring. March 3rd against Maryland seems like the time they'd have to unleash him. I didn't see Chris Kavanagh practice on Saturday and he also did not suit up in the scrimmage on Sunday. Not sure exactly what he's dealing with but if the Irish are without both by the time March rolls around that's a major cause for concern. Will Maheras and Jeffery Ricciardelli looked decent as their replacements, but there's no replacing those two and it was against Detroit Mercy so not sure what to make of that.

Irish Defense: I feel like all the talk with the Irish leading into this season has been how is Notre Dame going to replace Chris Fake. Conlin will be the #1 pole but it looks like 6-3 200 pound Freshman Shawn Lyght will slide in as the new starter on Defense. I wish I would have gotten to see him go against Chirs Kavanagh (who wasn't at practice) but he made some plays during the intersquad scrimmage that makes me think this defense won't skip a beat. That, along with Entenmann playing at the level that he's playing at makes me think this defense should be just as good as last years team. Just might have to find other ways to stop the #1 scoring threat on teams unless Conlin can be that shut down defender like Fake was.

Jordan Faison: I shouldn't be surprised considering his success on the football team, but this kid is the real deal. His speed and change of direction are top notch. Looks like he'll be a second line middie this season and his ability to run the invert should result in many scoring opportunities for the Irish. In the 3rd quarter, once a few substitutes made their way onto the field, the Irish started to play a little lackadaisical (Detroit won the 3rd 3-1). Not sure what was said but Faison and a Detroit Mercy player got into it and had a little fight in the last minute or two of the 3rd. That seemed to light a fire under the Irish and they destroyed Detroit in the 4th quarter 13-1.
Thank you for the review of what you saw.. by any chance did you see Buchner play and if there was anything notable from him
Buchner did play, but not until late in the 4th quarter. He did have a pretty nice dodge to an assist in the scrimmage. I wouldn't expect to see him too much this spring, at least early on. It's been a few years since he's played lacrosse and he joined the team late so I'm sure they're still getting him up to speed.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

What's the point of ND playing The Little Sisters of the Poor( aka : Cleveland State )...???
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:25 pm What's the point of ND playing The Little Sisters of the Poor( aka : Cleveland State )...???
regional for travel and the like. lot of teams do that. also, aide in keeping the <.500 record from being a disqualifier in case the rest of the schedule breaks that way. cleve st gets tosu a decent amount also, though not a lot of ooc games as their conference is relatively big.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:25 pm What's the point of ND playing The Little Sisters of the Poor( aka : Cleveland State )...???
regional for travel and the like. lot of teams do that. also, aide in keeping the <.500 record from being a disqualifier in case the rest of the schedule breaks that way. cleve st gets tosu a decent amount also, though not a lot of ooc games as their conference is relatively big.

25-3 seems like a statement. Man. Watch out for ND.
BlueJaySince1947

Them nuns play tough... :lol:
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Ouch. On Ash Wednesday no less. Better get to confession Coach C.

quote=BlueJaySince1947 post_id=518990 time=1707961268 user_id=644]
Them nuns play tough... :lol:
[/quote]
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Thanks wgdsr. what is "tosu" (not trying to be a dick).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:48 pm
The Ohio STATE University
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Wow I thought Faison was gonna be special but not first line middie initiating the offense as a freshman kinda special. He's gonna be a problem for opposing defenses. This Irish offense surely looks like a "pick your poison" kinda team. Do you pole the speedy Faison or the giant with a cannon Dobson? March 3rd against Maryland will be the first real test they have (although Marquette and Georgetown are no slumps) and I'm interested to see how they defend the Irish midfield. Don't want to get too high after a win against a team like Cleveland State but anything less than a final four run should be seen as a failure with this squad.
BlueJaySince1947

Gosh , golly , gee whiz... :roll:
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:48 pm
The Ohio STATE University
ahhh. should have had that. my bad
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Today's Game

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:17 pm Today's Game

Dear Lord was this broadcast awful. I could only watch for a few minutes. A Big East school should have a far better set up.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Having watched Faison play football for the Fighting Irish, I am not surprised at all that he’s already scoring goals for the lax team.

I suspect he will soon turn his attention 100% to football.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

People complaining about the broadcast. Get over it. Free connection on YouTube. The games in these bubbles are v difficult for the goalies. With the white roof and background, they should use a lime green ball. Makes a big difference .
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Pat Kavanaugh is a special player , impactful in many ways both tangible and intangible, both small and large .. Great feet with mobility in any direction , amazing vision , his constant motor and ride is a dimension that really sets him apart. Gets a lot of pub but could still be underrated

Both he and Shellenberger are special , latter seems to be given edge but in discussing and comparing with friends, opinion is really split between. All I know is that it is a joy to watch both play
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It could have been on FloSports.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”