MAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: MAC 2024

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:20 pm … I’m also very excited to see Messiah’s roster when it drops. They too are making leaps as far as depth of talent year over year…
Messiah roster out. A few new faces from the portal, as expected. I’m seeing 6’2” sophmore Attackman Mcknelly, from Marist, 6’3” gradstudent LSM Lynch from F&M, and senoir Defenseman Kocher from LVC.

They return their top 3 scorers (and 5 of top 10), to include their entire potent attack unit of Berg, Teresky and Ferrell. They also return their FO and Goalie. They’ll need newcomer Kocher to step up and provide experience to a young D unit, that will likely feature the towering sophmores, Gibson and Penchansky, coming in at 6’7” and 6’4”.

Very excited to see another year of positive growth from Messiah. Do they finally supplant Widener?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Stevenson roster also dropped, and as expected, it’s large in size. 20 Freshmen, 15 Sophmores, 12 Juniors, 15 Senoirs, and 5 Grad-students brings the number to 67 total.

The 5 grad students include 3 returning closer defenders, their starting goalie, Scorese, and a transfer middie.

The new faces I found are the above mentioned grad-student Middie, Rinck, a 6’3” SSDM out of Siena, also a 6’3” junior Defenseman Ben-Aissa in from Maryville (DII)- who also played in the 2023 worlds scoring a goal for Germany, a Sophmore Middie, Meehan out of Palm Beach Atlantic (DII), and Kaleb Russell, a Freshman Attack from Salesianum by way of Bellarmine, where he never rostered.

Stevenson needs this year to be successful, to start righting the ship. They’ve been on the cusp of falling from the top 20 for several years now, and missing the NCAA tournament for the last two years has accelerated the descent, leading to being unranked preseason for 2024.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

A look at Hood’s roster shows that they too have been quietly participating in the arms race. Their 2024 version carries 44 players, with 5 grad students and 2 transfers of their own.

Their grads include their starting goalie, their 62% FO man, a starting attackman, a middie and an LSM.

The new faces I found were a 6’4” sophmore defenseman Matope from Alderus Broadus (DII) and Sophmore middie Fay from Chestnut Hill (DII).

They return their top 2 scorers in Wiley and Muldoon (and 6 of their top 10), 2/3 of their starting attack, 2/3 starting defense, 3/3 starting middie, lead FO and starting goalie.

Perhaps we will see a hotly contested 4th spot, with Wdener, Messiah and Hood, that would be a treat.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Unfortunately in the case of Alvernia and Albright, the outlook is grim.

Alvernia carries 24 players into 2024, and Albright, just 18.
Even more grim is the fact that Albright lists 0 (ZERO) freshmen on their roster, a ripple that will unfortunately last for years. I’m not sure what the staff intends to accomplish with such limited numbers.

Anxiously awaiting the Widener roster, to have a look at what they’ve been up to.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York’s roster of 48 returns 2 of their top 3 scorers (6 of their top 10). They are carrying 6 grad students, and bring in 2 transfers.

Their grad students are their 64% faceoff man, their top scoring attackman, their top shutdown close defender, their top SSDM, a starting middie, and a middie transfer who looks to be starting as well.

Their transfers are the aforementioned middie, Keogh from Mary Washington where he was the top scoring mid & second in points overall, and Harmon, a FO from Howard CC where he too went 64% at the dot.

York had one of the hardest OOC schedules last year, and with the departure of Lebanon Valley from the commonwealth, they’ve been able to put together even more of a beast this year, adding another nationally ranked foe in RPI.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

So the consensus seems to be the MAC Commonwealth is 6 teams vying for 4 playoff spots correct?

Eastern is stacked and hoping to achieve their high-water mark while Hood and Messiah are continuing to ascend.

Are any of the old guard going to falter and fall prey in 2024? Perhaps Stevenson or Widener?

For those playing a long-game, 2025 could get pretty interesting...
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I would not be surprised if Eastern sneaks into the #2 spot this year as they have several returners and Stevenson may be a little down.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Asgot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:27 pm I would not be surprised if Eastern sneaks into the #2 spot this year as they have several returners and Stevenson may be a little down.
That is EXACTLY what I am wondering as well.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Asgot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:27 pm I would not be surprised if Eastern sneaks into the #2 spot this year as they have several returners and Stevenson may be a little down.
Offense is definitely very green for the Stangs but they have 3-4 AA returners on defense including Scorese in cage and are solid at the faceoff dot.

Biggest concern will be scoring goals. Lots of returning talent in the midfield (Scalitit & Zick) along with some transfers from Siena and Bellarmine. Continuity will be key and probably won't be there early but I expect them to compete with York for the top spot.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:50 pm
Offense is definitely very green for the Stangs but they have 3-4 AA returners on defense including Scorese in cage and are solid at the faceoff dot.

Biggest concern will be scoring goals. Lots of returning talent in the midfield (Scalitit & Zick) along with some transfers from Siena and Bellarmine. Continuity will be key and probably won't be there early but I expect them to compete with York for the top spot.
There a a couple of solid kids on defense but3-4 may be stretching it a bit. I am not sure that I see goalie as a strength but we will see
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I hope Eastern does challenge Stevenson, though from their own ascension and not from any decline by the Mustangs. Time will tell, but I believe the MAC C will be stronger on the “heat map” this year. Losing their third worst team, and seeing development in the 3-5 spots. I see them as an upper 80’s league for 2024.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The final MAC-C roster (Widener) has dropped.

48 players, one 6th year, two 5th years, 13 seniors, 12 juniors, 14 sophomores, 6 freshmen.

Their grads break down as 2 mids and an LSM. The most notable being middie Sporer, the 6th year was second for the Pride in points in 2023, his first year after transferring in from Arcadia. Followed by their top LSM, Montgomery.

While I located no transfers, they return all of their top 10 scorers, their FOGO, their top LSM and their goalie. Looks like it will be much the same faces as last year, just with another year’s experience under the belt. Last year they went .500 at 9-9 and potted a big win over a NESCAC team in Colby. This year OOC games of note are Cabrini and Emerson.

By my estimate, this won’t be a year of them competing with Eastern for the 3 spot. It’s looking more like they will be trying to maintain 4th place, over surging Messiah and Hood teams.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I also think that schedule is a big deal and the fact that Eastern is at home for Stevenson could give them the boost they need while Stevenson is on the road for both Eastern and York this year but home to Widener. I do believe that York is the clear favorite but, I think the 2 spot is more up for grabs than it has been in the past few years.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Asgot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 pm

There a a couple of solid kids on defense but3-4 may be stretching it a bit. I am not sure that I see goalie as a strength but we will see

Masterson, Quinn, Mulvey all preseason AA's. That's three by my count. Scorese was All Conference behind Keller of York who has one of the best in the country last year with almost a 60% save percentage.

Gotta do the homework first :|
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 am

Masterson, Quinn, Mulvey all preseason AA's. That's three by my count. Scorese was All Conference behind Keller of York who has one of the best in the country last year with almost a 60% save percentage.

And just like that we’ve got a disagreement, the MAC thread has officially arrived. Glad there’s a Stevenson poster, welcome aboard. Got a bunch of York, a few Stevens, and a Messiah poster too.

Putting my personal feelings on Coach Cantabene aside, I know he knows the game of lacrosse, and I believe that they have talent both returning and down the bench to compete.

I don’t know if this is the year that Eastern takes the next step, but they’re getting there. Love to see all these very different and very passionate coaches, working within the different landscapes of their schools towards the same goal (albeit with very different levels of realistic expectations).
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 am

HW funny, you mash together multiple AA lists to come up with three and Scorese is nowhere on any of those lists but because he was 2nd team all-conference, that makes you right? Good Luck to all the MAC teams this years
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

StevieUAlum has been gracious on other topics. I like him. A list is a list. I think the 3-4 estimate is pretty spot on.

I DISLIKE Eastern and Stevenson for different reasons, but respect both, and frankly I'm jealous y'all get to watch your boys play in 2025 and beyond, but I digress.

Actually focused my attention on this thread because Widener was on my mind. That program, and university, man, if anyone stands to gain from Cabrini's loss, I think it's the Pride (should have stuck with Pioneers you administrative goons, I'm off topic again). So much local talent looking for the right DIII fit. No offense to Eastern or the other local spots, but those are not the place for young, less educationally inclined (in HS!), savages. I wonder how, or if, they can figure it out. Rob Chambers is no Colfer IMO. Lockard was lazy. They haven't had a real one in the head man spot since Jamie Steele, again IMO. Sleeping giant.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm StevieUAlum has been gracious on other topics. I like him. A list is a list. I think the 3-4 estimate is pretty spot on.

I DISLIKE Eastern and Stevenson for different reasons, but respect both, and frankly I'm jealous y'all get to watch your boys play in 2025 and beyond, but I digress.

Actually focused my attention on this thread because Widener was on my mind. That program, and university, man, if anyone stands to gain from Cabrini's loss, I think it's the Pride (should have stuck with Pioneers you administrative goons, I'm off topic again). So much local talent looking for the right DIII fit. No offense to Eastern or the other local spots, but those are not the place for young, less educationally inclined (in HS!), savages. I wonder how, or if, they can figure it out. Rob Chambers is no Colfer IMO. Lockard was lazy. They haven't had a real one in the head man spot since Jamie Steele, again IMO. Sleeping giant.
On Widener, I agree with most of this. I’ve noted on this forum in recent years that Widener plays a more scrappy, workman style brand. Often out talented by Eastern, but never out worked, as they competed with their different styles for that third MAC spot.

Clearly Chambers has the current players buying in, as we see them staying for grad years. I don’t know the reason why we didn’t see him make a few portal moves this year, and with just 6 incoming freshmen. Perhaps if they can do some damage returning all of last year’s top 10 scorers, they can make themselves more attractive to both commits and transfers alike …
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm StevieUAlum has been gracious on other topics. I like him. A list is a list. I think the 3-4 estimate is pretty spot on.

On Widener, I agree with most of this. I’ve noted on this forum in recent years that Widener plays a more scrappy, workman style brand. Often out talented by Eastern, but never out worked, as they competed with their different styles for that third MAC spot.

Clearly Chambers has the current players buying in, as we see them staying for grad years. I don’t know the reason why we didn’t see him make a few portal moves this year, and with just 6 incoming freshmen. Perhaps if they can do some damage returning all of last year’s top 10 scorers, they can make themselves more attractive to both commits and transfers alike …
I think Widener would be a better program in a different location. Chester PA is not an easy sell.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:44 am
DeepPocket wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 pm

I think Widener would be a better program in a different location. Chester PA is not an easy sell.
Respectfully, I think one must first understand the Philly/DelCo/SJ area, and the local students who are choosing schools in that region. Look at the hometowns on the roster. These are not families who have never been to or heard about Chester, coming from far and wide for a campus tour. In that area by and large everyone knows someone in town who personally went, or whose kid went to Widener, got a good degree within their budget, had a good experience, and got a decent job.

Would being in a more rural or aesthetically pleasing area better help with drawing in students from other regions? Sure, and that would help their lacrosse program if they were; already getting a healthy share of the local talent, more nationally competitive to garner talented players from far away, and ready to take the next step in the lacrosse realm. But they’re not there yet. They need to capitalize on the region where they’re already known, liked and actively recruiting before anything else IMO. (See other MAC teams in beautiful settings with players from as far away as California that are far less competitive than Widener).

In that vein, I absolutely see Widener being able to gain ground in the local recruiting landscape with Cabrini out of the picture. They were recruiting the better lacrosse players from the same geographic region and demographic pool. Those players’ restrictions/limitations (ie; desire to stay close, academics, finances, playing ability) will still exist going forward, though now with out a local top 20 lacrosse school like Cabrini fitting the bill to take the upper echelon. (Stockton also stands to gain quite a bit FWIW)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”