ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

NBL, I thought Lburg had an edge being at home and with all the 5th years. Quite frankly I thought that about CNU, York and others as well. Only RIT seems to have incorporated the use of 5th years without it seeming to be a negative. If the Noke mids and D show up for your game against Roanoke it could be closer than what I would have thought this year. Coach McCabe has brought in several strong classes now the last few years. The recruiting vids for Beatty and Cohen jumped off the page. Thought they’d be good as freshman but far exceeded what I may have thought. Spano’s tape was like so many fogo tapes where you only see wins but the difference was he was quick to get the ball out and most importantly to himself. Even at this level he’s winning the gb to himself at a high rate. Only a freshman so hoping there’s gas in the tank at seasons end. If you had told me W&L would be out 4-5 starters with a freshman fogo and goalie and be where they are today I would have laughed. Last season was a remarkable year and while I can be critical at times maybe this year despite comparisons to last season maybe the best year coaching McCabe has had. Love to see Generals playing w a full deck at year end
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

LYN recruits equally strong mostly on offensive side. There will be great battles ahead.
Spano’s performance was fantastic. One he boxed out Kraus and precisely foot nudged the ball to open space for quick self win. Wings had no chance. Maybe he transfers 😂. Freshman goalie also very impressive..
LYN has to win out RMC Tomorrow..) NOKE and HSC this week May just be taking longer with the 5th year dynamic for my bugs to put it together.. 🙏

Should be a great tourney!
Hornetz2024

Post by Hornetz2024 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:22 pm Some key games now in the ODAC. W&L has faced and beaten HSC and Lynchburg to date. Roanoke still remains for a Tuesday night game against the Generals. After watching Roanoke whip HSC, I’d be concerned about this game and worry about CNU later. Hope the Generals stay focused. The big concern now is Joey Allen out since game 4, is he coming back or gone for the season. Will Burns,Mannino and Beatty be back for the Roanoke game
The Generals got lucky with the win versus the Hornets last weekend. I'm confident H-SC will upset and reign again to the ODAC chip, facing Lynchburg in a close game. Noke better be hoping for Burns to return this game, it seems as if the Generals are a more competent team with his absence. Think Joey Allen is unfortunately out for the remainder of the season, he's a good player. Regardless if Burns returns vs. Roanoke or not, Generals are going to roll over Pilat's Maroons. Roanoke has been a little too cocky rolling through this season. Despite facing notable OOC opponents like Dickinson and Wesleyan, Noke's biggest tests are coming soon and time will tell if they are ready to take the next step to a chip.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Have to imagine tomorrow night is a big one for LC on the road.
It's starting to feel like LC must win out & land in the ODAC Final; and anything short of that could put them on the hot seat.

Especially with the Gettysburg & Hamilton losses looking worse as the season goes on.
There is a scenario in the final week of NESCAC play where Hamilton can finish as the 9 seed and miss their tournament...

Amherst can help them, or hurt them, with games against RPI Tufts & Trinity.
They could go 3-0 and get 2 (maybe 3 by next week's poll) Top 20 wins
But also could go 0-3 and become a 8-7 team.

Definitely could use some help from them.
Don't want to be saying your best win is Denison or Stevenson on 5/5
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:10 am Have to imagine tomorrow night is a big one for LC on the road.
It's starting to feel like LC must win out & land in the ODAC Final; and anything short of that could put them on the hot seat.

Especially with the Gettysburg & Hamilton losses looking worse as the season goes on.
There is a scenario in the final week of NESCAC play where Hamilton can finish as the 9 seed and miss their tournament...

Amherst can help them, or hurt them, with games against RPI Tufts & Trinity.
They could go 3-0 and get 2 (maybe 3 by next week's poll) Top 20 wins
But also could go 0-3 and become a 8-7 team.

Definitely could use some help from them.
Don't want to be saying your best win is Denison or Stevenson on 5/5
Reminder about the DIII tournament... there's no RPI or anything like that. It's based on Regional Rankings. The bugs have been at the top of those in Region IV the past few years, which is what helped them to get in last year even with a loss to RMC. Outside of their own region, the Hamilton loss isn't great but the Amherst win looks pretty good in late March... Also losses have been to Region III powerhouses Salisbury and CNU.

Noke currently sitting w/ what looks to be the most potent offense in the country on paper - 20.00 GPG. Let's see what they've done against teams that matter (Regionally).
- Best W 14-8 against HSC
- 17-6 over Centre
- 13-15 L to Dickinson
- After that, they have nothing. Their senior goalie is hot right now (after coming in big against F&M), and their top 3 point producers account for 204 points. A bad game for #41 is 3 pts against HSC, and that was enough. 13 pts against those 3 teams (4.33 ppg), 57 (5.18 ppg) against the rest. Not a huge drop off imo.

The questions for tomorrow:
- Can Noke score against a legit defense? 2 of the ODAC's best poles flexed their muscle on Sat + arguably the best GK in the ODAC as well
- Does Pilat resort to zone against the bugs?
- Will the LYN offense make Lewis look like an All-American like they did W&L's frosh? Or will they put pucks on net like they have against RMC, Amherst, Cabrini.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

ODACtionEmpire wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am Noke currently sitting w/ what looks to be the most potent offense in the country on paper - 20.00 GPG. Let's see what they've done against teams that matter (Regionally).
- Best W 14-8 against HSC
- 17-6 over Centre
- 13-15 L to Dickinson
- After that, they have nothing.
These teams already played are likely to be regionally ranked:

Grove City (W)
Dickinson (L)
Wesleyan (L)
Hampden-Sydney (W)

Centre (W) is a possibility.

Lynchburg and W&L still to come will be regionally ranked. Randolph Macon possibly will be as well.

Has the makings of a solid Pool C resume, especially if they can win another couple games.
Nothinbutthelax

LYN @ NOKE. Always a battle.
LYN needs Mitchell and Hastings shooting % to improve. Both only 25%. Mitchell particularly off since returning from injury. Need big game(s) from him here on out.
Defense looked very good against Randy Mac. The SSDMs have tightened to 4. Sr. #2 Grant Voight ran 2nd line Mid. Staying in to ride. Liked to see that, he will anchor that all freshman 2nd line and provide sparks but those Freshman all
Pack a punch.
I like Marindin on Kammerman. Punishing and extremely physical. Zingo & Hadley give LYN edge but so does their SOS. They put it all together tomorrow 15-9.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm LYN @ NOKE. Always a battle.
LYN needs Mitchell and Hastings shooting % to improve. Both only 25%. Mitchell particularly off since returning from injury. Need big game(s) from him here on out.
Defense looked very good against Randy Mac. The SSDMs have tightened to 4. Sr. #2 Grant Voight ran 2nd line Mid. Staying in to ride. Liked to see that, he will anchor that all freshman 2nd line and provide sparks but those Freshman all
Pack a punch.
I like Marindin on Kammerman. Punishing and extremely physical. Zingo & Hadley give LYN edge but so does their SOS. They put it all together tomorrow 15-9.
Hadley had a big game against Noke last year. Hoping he has another big day tomorrow night. I’d assume a big crowd for the game. I think Roanoke has improved over last season but still give the edge to Lynchburg. I think we’ll know the direction of this game after the first qtr..Lynchburg needs to get off to a fast start and not let Roanoke feed off the home crowd. The bugs did a good job against the Kammermans last year hopefully they can minimize their game again and make the others beat them. Maybe Roanoke keeps it close into the 4th but Lynchburg’s I believe being the more athletic team closes them out in the 4th. Schmidt and Mitchell need big nights
Nothinbutthelax

Schmidt needs a good game. He’s steady but frankly didn’t make the plays against Cohen in the W&L loss that cost them.
Also an interesting comparison re: scheduling. I get they’re made a couple years ahead but NOKE is light yet sitting at 12-2. Probably in high spirits, manhandled HSC feeling confident, having fun and playing loose.
LYN SOS #1 in south with a couple ugly losses to Gburg and Hamilton.. are they holding on to tight or tentative decision making, maybe humbled thinking they would have cruised. 5th years set their eyes on next stage in life?
We’ll see tomorrow.
LYN controls their own destiny. I do think it will be a tight game with some haymakers. Whitlow and Docking are threats. I’ll be on edge but agree I’m looking for LYN to shuts the door in 2nd half..
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm
Pack a punch.
Hadley had a big game against Noke last year. Hoping he has another big day tomorrow night. I’d assume a big crowd for the game. I think Roanoke has improved over last season but still give the edge to Lynchburg. I think we’ll know the direction of this game after the first qtr..Lynchburg needs to get off to a fast start and not let Roanoke feed off the home crowd. The bugs did a good job against the Kammermans last year hopefully they can minimize their game again and make the others beat them. Maybe Roanoke keeps it close into the 4th but Lynchburg’s I believe being the more athletic team closes them out in the 4th. Schmidt and Mitchell need big nights
Completely out of curiosity why do Schmidt and Mitchell need big nights instead of any of the others. Is it only because their shooting percentage is lower than the other starting 4?
Nothinbutthelax

2laxers wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 pm
Pack a punch.
Completely out of curiosity why do Schmidt and Mitchell need big nights instead of any of the others. Is it only because their shooting percentage is lower than the other starting 4?
Love my bugs 2laxer and wearing red today!
There was a feel to the 2021, 2022 and last years team Just don’t feel it this year.. Michell, Zingo, Wolfe all started in these elite 8 appearances teams.. Wolfe’s hit another gear this year. Mitchell injuries hampered him but feel it’s his time to step up. Since back he’s just under 25% shooting. Our 1st team AA need to hit his high gear…

Soph. Slump.. not so much but Hastings shooting 25% needs to improve to 30-32% and Schmidt usually draws the Shortie and needs to own that matchup, add another goal a game & forcing that slide.. Schmidt and Hasting have improved their ride..

Just my view but defense has needed the attention and have settled in ready for this run. 3 losses by 4 goals total.. (Hamilton, CNU, W&L).If these 3 can dial it up a bit LYN wins out and can make another deep run..
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Total outsider to the situation and regiment, but, sometimes the fix for poor shooting is a break from shooting. Let your CNS recover. It's always tempting when you're in a slump to grab a bucket and try to find it. Personally, I would do that, and no one coached me out of it. The opposite was true. Coaches would laud your extra work. But there comes a point of diminishing returns. Those guys have a pretty heavy workload on game days. Maybe give yourself some grace and just allow yourself to play with joy a la summer league. Recover and rest.
Hornetz2024

Post by Hornetz2024 »

Predictions for tonight's matchup? I got the Hornetz winning 14-10. Hadley has a nice showing against Roanoke's fast paced offense. Both Kammermans being shut down tonight. Kids don't stand a chance.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am Total outsider to the situation and regiment, but, sometimes the fix for poor shooting is a break from shooting. Let your CNS recover. It's always tempting when you're in a slump to grab a bucket and try to find it. Personally, I would do that, and no one coached me out of it. The opposite was true. Coaches would laud your extra work. But there comes a point of diminishing returns. Those guys have a pretty heavy workload on game days. Maybe give yourself some grace and just allow yourself to play with joy a la summer league. Recover and rest.
Reminds me of the scene from Tin Cup where Roy (Costner) gets the yips on the practice range:

Romeo: Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.
Roy: Tie my left shoe?
Romeo: Right now, do it! Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Roy! Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.
Roy: I look like a fool!
Romeo: What do you think you look like shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ass? Do it now or I'm going to quit. I swear to God I'll quit. Good. Take this ball and hit it up the fairway.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Like a lot of games, I think this one comes down to specialty positions. Hadley is very good in the cage and has a slight edge over Lewis. Roanoke FOGO is a freshman, he is good, but he is going up against two veterans for Lynchburg.
I think the Lynchburg D can handle Noke when its 6 on 6. The Noke D is a bit better than last year, but I feel Lynchburg may have a quickness edge.
I think Roanoke has improved the most in their Rope unit. Their two LSM's are freshman but have been playing very well and their ssdm's are tough.
Having said all that, I think it comes down to the ground ball battle and possessions. Roanoke will push it when they can so there is a chance the game will be a bit out of control. If Roanoke can win the ground ball game and not give up any easy transition goals themselves then they will be in the game.
I think it will be a one or two goal, close game.
Noke 13-11
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am
2laxers wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 pm
Pack a punch.
Love my bugs 2laxer and wearing red today!
There was a feel to the 2021, 2022 and last years team Just don’t feel it this year.. Michell, Zingo, Wolfe all started in these elite 8 appearances teams.. Wolfe’s hit another gear this year. Mitchell injuries hampered him but feel it’s his time to step up. Since back he’s just under 25% shooting. Our 1st team AA need to hit his high gear…

Soph. Slump.. not so much but Hastings shooting 25% needs to improve to 30-32% and Schmidt usually draws the Shortie and needs to own that matchup, add another goal a game & forcing that slide.. Schmidt and Hasting have improved their ride..

Just my view but defense has needed the attention and have settled in ready for this run. 3 losses by 4 goals total.. (Hamilton, CNU, W&L).If these 3 can dial it up a bit LYN wins out and can make another deep run..
THIS, my friends, is a lacrosse intelligent review. Not everything is about scoring, i.e.," Schmidt and Hastings have improved their ride". Lax is not always about scoring, and NBTL understands that. Great input. Best of luck tonight.

valaxfan
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

Sketchy one tonight but glad to see the Hornets pull away when they needed. Can't help but wonder if the Kammerman injury took some of the wind out of Roanoke's sails, but that's the nature of the game... no use in wondering about 'what ifs'. Fairly high-scoring affair, definitely higher than I anticipated.

Looking at Roanoke, I'm realizing it's a bit of a cupcake schedule they've put together... thinking that doesn't help in these type of games with high quality opponents. Lynchburg scheduling the 'who's who' of college lacrosse this season, admittedly playing under their expectations thus far, surely helps them in these type of come-from-behind games.

Roanoke had lots of diversity in their scoring tonight. Another dominant performance by #8 Marindin on #41 limiting him to just 1 goal, though he had a few assists... seems to have his number in these matchups; a great battle. #9 Zingo held his own as always matching up on Whitlow, who appears to be taking more of a dodging type of role this year, limiting him to one point. 3rd defenseman, Ulrichs, matched up against Docking and thought he looked okay... maybe a touch slow against a speed-dodger... giving up 3 goals.

Lynchburg clear looks to improve. Clearing at 72% isn't great... credit to Roanoke's ride but simply have to perform at a higher clip.

I also want to highlight that #21 Zacharias and #11 Sealey missed this one. I know #11 has been out for a few games now and the lack of his athleticism has been felt. Truly a do-it-all middie and someone whose game I admire. Hoping Zacharias is back quickly as he is certainly a quality SSDM and a high IQ player with the ball.

Was interested to see #1 Mitchell not getting a pole for most of the game. Is this Roanoke being too cute? In retrospect I would say yes. The scoring for Lynchburg was how many expected it to be going into the season... 5 players with 4 points... the type of even production consistent with great offenses of past. I gotta say, these sophomore attackmen ride like hell which is certainly a line-item on opposing teams' scouts. Big shoutout to those guys at attack, Hastings, Schmidt, and Vandenberg. Hadley with a nice game at 15 saves, though I'm sure he'd want a couple back as does every goalie.

Overall a nice performance from the men in Red and excited to see them later this week against HSC who is celebrating their senior day and will certainly come ready to play. Similar in 2022 when it was their senior day, I expect the Hornets to leave Farmville in the win column.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm Sketchy one tonight but glad to see the Hornets pull away when they needed. Can't help but wonder if the Kammerman injury took some of the wind out of Roanoke's sails, but that's the nature of the game... no use in wondering about 'what ifs'. Fairly high-scoring affair, definitely higher than I anticipated.

Looking at Roanoke, I'm realizing it's a bit of a cupcake schedule they've put together... thinking that doesn't help in these type of games with high quality opponents. Lynchburg scheduling the 'who's who' of college lacrosse this season, admittedly playing under their expectations thus far, surely helps them in these type of come-from-behind games.

Roanoke had lots of diversity in their scoring tonight. Another dominant performance by #8 Marindin on #41 limiting him to just 1 goal, though he had a few assists... seems to have his number in these matchups; a great battle. #9 Zingo held his own as always matching up on Whitlow, who appears to be taking more of a dodging type of role this year, limiting him to one point. 3rd defenseman, Ulrichs, matched up against Docking and thought he looked okay... maybe a touch slow against a speed-dodger... giving up 3 goals.

Lynchburg clear looks to improve. Clearing at 72% isn't great... credit to Roanoke's ride but simply have to perform at a higher clip.

I also want to highlight that #21 Zacharias and #11 Sealey missed this one. I know #11 has been out for a few games now and the lack of his athleticism has been felt. Truly a do-it-all middie and someone whose game I admire. Hoping Zacharias is back quickly as he is certainly a quality SSDM and a high IQ player with the ball.

Was interested to see #1 Mitchell not getting a pole for most of the game. Is this Roanoke being too cute? In retrospect I would say yes. The scoring for Lynchburg was how many expected it to be going into the season... 5 players with 4 points... the type of even production consistent with great offenses of past. I gotta say, these sophomore attackmen ride like hell which is certainly a line-item on opposing teams' scouts. Big shoutout to those guys at attack, Hastings, Schmidt, and Vandenberg. Hadley with a nice game at 15 saves, though I'm sure he'd want a couple back as does every goalie.

Overall a nice performance from the men in Red and excited to see them later this week against HSC who is celebrating their senior day and will certainly come ready to play. Similar in 2022 when it was their senior day, I expect the Hornets to leave Farmville in the win column.
Kammerman had 5 points and got hurt in the third quarter. Not sure anyone had his number. Also Lynchburg ran Wolfe out of the box after the first half, that’s why Mitchell didn’t get a pole.

Noke did not play great defensively, didn’t shoot well late, and didn’t close when they had the chance.
BTM

Post by BTM »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm Sketchy one tonight but glad to see the Hornets pull away when they needed. Can't help but wonder if the Kammerman injury took some of the wind out of Roanoke's sails, but that's the nature of the game... no use in wondering about 'what ifs'. Fairly high-scoring affair, definitely higher than I anticipated.

Come-from-behind?? Roanoke led by a single goal, twice. That’s hardly come-from-behind. Wasn’t it Roanoke that battled back from a 7-2 deficit?

#8 dominated #41??? Take another sip from your Jolly Ranchered Zima. #41 led all point scorers while battling cramps. The hate for elder Kammerman is odd.

That totally awesome LC attack unit forced Roanoke to go 17-18 on clears. I guess Coach Pilat should spend the next 32.7 practices on clearing after getting exposed by those totally rad sophomores.
Nothinbutthelax

What a game. Talent all over the field. Everything went LYN way early and cashed in 5-0. Then momentum shifted to NOKE with 8 players scoring to tie. Goalie, poles, SSDM’s all scoring. Why we love this F*=£in great game.
NOKE played great team D 2nd half, beat the crap out of Wolfe, but started to wear down. Impressive performance by NOKE FO unit. Shame Kammerman the elder tapped out, he may well have made the difference. One of ODACs greats with a very talented supporting cast this year..

In the end, Mitchell, Schmidt and company did put in gear and closed the door. Defense held up even as their SSDM woes continue. Prev. Poster pointed out they were without SSDM #21 Zacharias who artists with #52 and #11 Sealy at 6’3 190. Coach K went deep into bench in warm night and at times things got hectic for Hadley.. They showed dominance at times and dumbness.. A few head scratching offsides, Hastings penalty at the half, missed lots of 1st time GBs and played tentative with that big lead. Haven’t seen that sloppiness from LYN. Clean that up or it’s drinking goodbye to friends on a Carolina shore.. Onto HSC Saturday.

Good luck to NOKE tangling with RMC then W&L to see who dances in tourney.. Hoping it’s a W&L LYN rematch but would pay to see 4 Qi’s of this one again..🍻

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”