Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:44 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:27 am Yet another legal gun used by the 4th of July killer.
You must great sources. I just listened to the news on my car radio 10 minutes ago. The only thing the police have said is that they recovered a high power rifle. No mention of legal or illegal. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the nation to include red flag measures. Maybe they need to get stricterer? This joker from what we know appears to be as unstable as they come. At least he was 22. Why is it these Looney tunes never obey the law?
Listen again. Rifle was purchased legally by the shooter.

As for the governor of NY - good on her for including the social media check in the new law - Apparently the IL shooter had an extensive online presence on any number of websites including youtube and Spotify exalting mass shootings and gun violence including one video where he literally committed mass murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ch ... -rcna36628
Good for who???? Who determines what FREE SPEECH on social media could be grounds for denying someone a concealed carry permit? Gov Jokeul just opened up a huge legal can of worms. This will wind up in court and Gov Jokeul will lose. I betcha if you criticize her on social media you won't get your concealed permit no matter how outstanding a citizen and how law abiding you are. Gov Jokeul is flipping the bird at the SCOTUS. If she has to whizz all over an American citizens 1st amendment right to take a dump on their 2nd amendment right then the end justifies the means. Meanwhile Gov Jokeul does diddly jack squat to deal with the real problem.. ILLEGAL WEAPONS possessed by convicted felons who don't give two figs about the law. The city of Chicago had 50 plus people shot this weekend and 7 dead. Anybody want to bet with me how many of these shootings was done with a legally owned weapon???
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:48 am
Kismet wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:44 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:27 am Yet another legal gun used by the 4th of July killer.
You must great sources. I just listened to the news on my car radio 10 minutes ago. The only thing the police have said is that they recovered a high power rifle. No mention of legal or illegal. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the nation to include red flag measures. Maybe they need to get stricterer? This joker from what we know appears to be as unstable as they come. At least he was 22. Why is it these Looney tunes never obey the law?
Listen again. Rifle was purchased legally by the shooter.

As for the governor of NY - good on her for including the social media check in the new law - Apparently the IL shooter had an extensive online presence on any number of websites including youtube and Spotify exalting mass shootings and gun violence including one video where he literally committed mass murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ch ... -rcna36628
Good for who???? Who determines what FREE SPEECH on social media could be grounds for denying someone a concealed carry permit? Gov Jokeul just opened up a huge legal can of worms. This will wind up in court and Gov Jokeul will lose. I betcha if you criticize her on social media you won't get your concealed permit no matter how outstanding a citizen and how law abiding you are. Gov Jokeul is flipping the bird at the SCOTUS. If she has to whizz all over an American citizens 1st amendment right to take a dump on their 2nd amendment right then the end justifies the means. Meanwhile Gov Jokeul does diddly jack squat to deal with the real problem.. ILLEGAL WEAPONS possessed by convicted felons who don't give two figs about the law. The city of Chicago had 50 plus people shot this weekend and 7 dead. Anybody want to bet with me how many of these shootings was done with a legally owned weapon???

Your post is solidly on point.

Few FLP realize how vaguely-pleasant-sounding laws can and will be abused by the government, which they assume will always be left.

Hochul is a total birdbrain. Jeebus.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Still crickets coming from the right as how to solve these mass shootings and address the incel maga right-wing terrorist elephant in the room. Also in the classrooms, 4th of July Parades, etc.

Kid draped himself in a Trump flag. Unsurprising.
old salt

Post by old salt »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 am Still crickets coming from the right as how to solve these mass shootings and address the incel maga right-wing terrorist elephant in the room. Also in the classrooms, 4th of July Parades, etc.

Stick the barrel in your mouth & pull the trigger.
NattyBohChamps04

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:08 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 am Still crickets coming from the right as how to solve these mass shootings and address the incel maga right-wing terrorist elephant in the room. Also in the classrooms, 4th of July Parades, etc.

Crickets to addressing most suicides as well.

Would be nice if these kids would shoot themselves instead of many others. Even better if we could prevent them being radicalized in the first place. Make them productive members of our society.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:13 am

Would be nice if these kids would shoot themselves instead of many others. Even better if we could prevent them being radicalized in the first place. Make them productive members of our society.
I'm not a lawyer and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night...so for those better qualified, is there a way to go after these cells of online radicalization as inciting acts of violence?

I hear all the whining about "free speech", but not all speech is "free". Do we need to recognize that some speech deserves to accrue to it liability for that which it encourages? Obviously I'm not talking about typical political rhetoric, including "fight like hell" and "reap the whirlwind", but when there are specific references to using weapons, whether guns or knives or bombs or a truck etc, to hurt other people, or a reasonable basis to know that specific people being spoken to have such weapons and understand that they are being encouraged to take action with them...at what point can we say that radicalization to acts of violence is indeed criminally actionable?

Do we need to pass laws being more explicit about such?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Same crickets when it comes to dealing with the scourge of ILLEGAL WEAPONS. Nobody wants to touch that issue with a 10 foot pole. Last night in the fair metropolis of Rochester NY a large group of people were having a large rowdy party. Around 3am when the fighting started and the ILLEGAL WEAPONS started being fired 4 people had been shot. While the one dude was bleeding out on the basketball court the angry mob would not allow an ambulance to help him. The police had to drive a cruiser up to him toss him in the back and drive him to the hospital. He died at the hospital. The local media has not reported it but i guarantee that nobody in the crowd of 300 people saw a damn thing. This same sorry ass scenario plays out night after night after night in cities all across America. Who really cares about it anyways??? I guess red flag laws don't much matter to people who don't give chit about the law to begin with. :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:21 am

I'm not a lawyer and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night...so for those better qualified, is there a way to go after these cells of online radicalization as inciting acts of violence?

I hear all the whining about "free speech", but not all speech is "free". Do we need to recognize that some speech deserves to accrue to it liability for that which it encourages? Obviously I'm not talking about typical political rhetoric, including "fight like hell" and "reap the whirlwind", but when there are specific references to using weapons, whether guns or knives or bombs or a truck etc, to hurt other people, or a reasonable basis to know that specific people being spoken to have such weapons and understand that they are being encouraged to take action with them...at what point can we say that radicalization to acts of violence is indeed criminally actionable?

In reference to NY Gov Jokeul... who determines what form of free speech are grounds for denying a concealed carry permit?? Short of making a direct threat of physical harm, what is the criteria and what person makes the decision about determining who gets a permit??? No chance of abuse of the system there is there???? Too bad because the governor came up with some good ideas. When she chose to venture off into the land of reviewing an applicants social media content she overstepped her boundaries. She opened up grounds for a whole new round of court cases by potentially violating an applicants 1st amendment rights. The thought police want to carve out new territory.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Crickets? :lol: :lol: Draping a Trump flag? :lol: Where where you the last decade when Chicago surpasses this count damned near each Friday night. How about we start with the lawyers and judges. What value are the police officers if the legal teams are just going to roll them around the revolving door? How about we hold the attorneys accountable for getting their clients a reduced or even suspended sentence. Bet their cognitive dissonance vaporizes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am Crickets? :lol: :lol: Draping a Trump flag? :lol: Where where you the last decade when Chicago surpasses this count damned near each Friday night. How about we start with the lawyers and judges. What value are the police officers if the legal teams are just going to roll them around the revolving door? How about we hold the attorneys accountable for getting their clients a reduced or even suspended sentence. Bet their cognitive dissonance vaporizes.
You obviously don’t understand our system of law and our way of life in this here United States of America.

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:25 am Same crickets when it comes to dealing with the scourge of ILLEGAL WEAPONS. Nobody wants to touch that issue with a 10 foot pole.
Crickets?

Michigan Republicans block votes on gun storage, background check bills after Texas shooting

Bill would have eliminated sales tax for safes and other security devices, required gun owners to better secure their guns and penalize them if used in a crime. Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of guns are stolen from individuals each year? So many clowns out there making us remaining responsible gun owners shake our heads.

And that's just Michigan. You've got multiple private orgs running nationwide campaigns to secure guns. Should be a bi-partisan solution, but it rarely is. So people are indeed trying to do something about ILLEGAL guns too. Well, pretty much just Dems and independents anyway.

Best quote from the article? "It's way too early to assign bill numbers to their grief." It's always gonna be too early when we have mass shootings all the time.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:29 am

In reference to NY Gov Jokeul... who determines what form of free speech are grounds for denying a concealed carry permit?? Short of making a direct threat of physical harm, what is the criteria and what person makes the decision about determining who gets a permit??? No chance of abuse of the system there is there????
Fair question, IMO.
However, should we ignore the role that such radicalization to violence has in driving these mass murders in places we all really should feel safe from such terror?

Should we just throw up our hands and say it's too hard?

Why not pass laws that provide authorities with the ability to flag people who should not have guns etc due to their participation in such radicalization cells? And if someone feels they are unfairly targeted, they have a due process opportunity to challenge and over rule such flag...

Likewise, if someone acts out on violence, having been encouraged by others' participation in such cells encouraging violence, those in those cells inciting could be held to have 'aided and abetted' such violence...they needn't have bought the guns for the killer...make the rule and then use it to punish those who are encouraging as well as the actual shooter. Someone never really encouraged, just visited the site a couple times, can defend themselves in court and in front of a jury...it's why we have judicial system, to work out such disputes.

I'm for a total ban on free access to weapons of war, high powered guns and large magazines, etc, except in regulated gun ranges, but short of that I certainly don't want those most likely to abuse weapons to do terroristic acts to have them...and denying access to those participating in these radicalization cells is one step.

Please don't pivot to "illegal weapons" used in crime, that's another problem altogether...very, very serious, but not the same issue.
NattyBohChamps04

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am Crickets? :lol: :lol: Draping a Trump flag? :lol: Where where you the last decade when Chicago surpasses this count damned near each Friday night. How about we start with the lawyers and judges. What value are the police officers if the legal teams are just going to roll them around the revolving door? How about we hold the attorneys accountable for getting their clients a reduced or even suspended sentence. Bet their cognitive dissonance vaporizes.
Yeah, he literally posted photos of himself draped in Trump flags.

Hearing crickets about actual solutions to inner city gun violence as well. Well, I guess more militarized police and stricter sentences, which haven't worked. What is going after attorneys gonna do to gun violence? Does nothing to address any of the root issues.
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:51 am
Yeah, he literally posted photos of himself draped in Trump flags.

Hearing crickets about actual solutions to inner city gun violence as well. Well, I guess more militarized police and stricter sentences, which haven't worked. What is going after attorneys gonna do to gun violence? Does nothing to address any of the root issues.
Going after attorneys for doing their jobs…..YA wants the USA to be more like Russia.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:47 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:29 am

In reference to NY Gov Jokeul... who determines what form of free speech are grounds for denying a concealed carry permit?? Short of making a direct threat of physical harm, what is the criteria and what person makes the decision about determining who gets a permit??? No chance of abuse of the system there is there????
Fair question, IMO.
However, should we ignore the role that such radicalization to violence has in driving these mass murders in places we all really should feel safe from such terror?

Should we just throw up our hands and say it's too hard?

Why not pass laws that provide authorities with the ability to flag people who should not have guns etc due to their participation in such radicalization cells? And if someone feels they are unfairly targeted, they have a due process opportunity to challenge and over rule such flag...

Likewise, if someone acts out on violence, having been encouraged by others' participation in such cells encouraging violence, those in those cells inciting could be held to have 'aided and abetted' such violence...they needn't have bought the guns for the killer...make the rule and then use it to punish those who are encouraging as well as the actual shooter. Someone never really encouraged, just visited the site a couple times, can defend themselves in court and in front of a jury...it's why we have judicial system, to work out such disputes.

I'm for a total ban on free access to weapons of war, high powered guns and large magazines, etc, except in regulated gun ranges, but short of that I certainly don't want those most likely to abuse weapons to do terroristic acts to have them...and denying access to those participating in these radicalization cells is one step.

Please don't pivot to "illegal weapons" used in crime, that's another problem altogether...very, very serious, but not the same issue.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06169-8

“A murdered teen, two million tweets and an experiment to fight gun violence Researchers are using AI to decode the language of Chicago gangs. Next they’ll look for opportunities to intervene before online aggression turns deadly.”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Wait until everyone is armed in public. This should be exciting. Don’t forget your plate armor, combat helmet and combat firstaid kits (complete with chest seals and improved tourniquets).

Don’t leave home without them!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ing-chaos/

“Scenes of chaos unfolded at Fourth of July celebrations in cities nationwide, as the booming sounds of fireworks were apparently mistaken for gunshots, sending scores of revelers fleeing for cover.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

So now all of TLD's alias' are talking to one another, slow day at the office. :lol:

Must be horrible to ask lawyers and judges to enforce laws on the books. Stop being a clown.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:07 pm So now all of TLD's alias' are talking to one another, slow day at the office. :lol:

Must be horrible to ask lawyers and judges to enforce laws on the books. Stop being a clown.
Use your brain and do some reading.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:07 pm So now all of TLD's alias' are talking to one another, slow day at the office. :lol:

So what laws needed to be enforced in this latest incident? That would have prevented the ultimate crime?

The clown comment certainly isn't helpful to any kind of reasoned discussion here.

I would have thought you better than this YA :oops:

Return to “POLITICS”