Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pmYou clearly are clueless how the issue of crime and criminals are dealt with in NYS. :roll:
I've got family in Syracuse and Albany. They wear flak jackets and stay strapped 24/7. Because of the violent criminals roaming the streets the state doesn't prosecute. :roll:

I'll be up there in March, should I go with the extra armor option on the rental car?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pmYou clearly are clueless how the issue of crime and criminals are dealt with in NYS. :roll:
I've got family in Syracuse and Albany. They wear flak jackets and stay strapped 24/7. Because of the violent criminals roaming the streets the state doesn't prosecute. :roll:

I'll be up there in March, should I go with the extra armor option on the rental car?
Depends on your budget. If your driving a KIA or a Hyundai keep a close eye on your ride.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:51 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Depends on your budget. If your driving a KIA or a Hyundai keep a close eye on your ride.
😂😂 #KIABoyz in da house. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/06/wh ... ar-thefts/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

"Ex-N.R.A. Chief Wayne LaPierre Found Liable for Financial Misconduct
A Manhattan jury found that the National Rifle Association’s former leader had used the group’s funds to pay for lavish personal expenses, including vacations and luxury flights."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/nyre ... rdict.html

This New York jury ordered LaPierre to pay $5.4 million back to the NRA.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I hope all the jurors have guns in case LaPierre comes after 'em.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://apple.news/AICs83KInSba9rlapvpwaHw

Potentially an interesting case.

Data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives show most firearms recovered from crimes in Maryland do not originate there but only law enforcement officials can see the weapons’ history. Public officials, such as Mayor Scott, are barred by a provision in federal law known as the Tiahrt Amendment from accessing the ATF firearms trace database, the only source for information about the manufacturer, distributor, point of sale and recovery of guns linked to violent crime nationwide.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:59 pm https://apple.news/AICs83KInSba9rlapvpwaHw

Potentially an interesting case.

Data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives show most firearms recovered from crimes in Maryland do not originate there but only law enforcement officials can see the weapons’ history. Public officials, such as Mayor Scott, are barred by a provision in federal law known as the Tiahrt Amendment from accessing the ATF firearms trace database, the only source for information about the manufacturer, distributor, point of sale and recovery of guns linked to violent crime nationwide.
... typical republiCON scum legislation. They love enabling criminals and protecting criminal businessmen.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Good thing it was a gun free zone.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/us/arkan ... index.html

I wonder why there isn’t a photo of the shooter?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:39 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/us/arkan ... index.html

Who needs guns? https://x.com/bubblebathgirl/status/176 ... a82I2GssRg
~Livy
NattyBohChamps04

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:39 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/us/arkan ... index.html

Who needs guns? https://x.com/bubblebathgirl/status/176 ... a82I2GssRg
Who needs guns? Someone who wants to kill a lot of people in a short period of time. Impossible to do by yourself with just your hands.

Almost the entire tweet is a lie as well.

One, it's being covered by a lot of news outlets based on a quick search. Two, the girl wasn't murdered as the tweet says. She's in critical condition at the hospital with severe head injury - hopefully she recovers. There has been an arrest. Third, the current DA is not backed by George Soros.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 7733115bb0

Nice to see where you're getting your news. Really rots the brain. You should investigate before you post.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.newsweek.com/undocumented-i ... es-1880806

Anybody out there ready to defend this idiotic legal decision ? This is an Obama judge no less. How do you do a background check on an illegal immigrant?? Hell if your a law abiding American citizen you have to pass a very thorough background check that in NYS has more hoops to jump through than the average person can count.
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 pm https://www.newsweek.com/undocumented-i ... es-1880806

Anybody out there ready to defend this idiotic legal decision ? This is an Obama judge no less. How do you do a background check on an illegal immigrant?? Hell if your a law abiding American citizen you have to pass a very thorough background check that in NYS has more hoops to jump through than the average person can count.
The constitution generally applies to anyone in the USA. If it specifies citizen instead people/person, then that part applies only to citizens.

2nd Amendment is the right of "the people" to keep and bear arms, not the right of "citizens" to keep and bear arms. So, everyone. Not defending it, but that's generally been the precedent.

If you wanna change it, you can get an amendment passed.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:14 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 pm https://www.newsweek.com/undocumented-i ... es-1880806

The constitution generally applies to anyone in the USA. If it specifies citizen instead people/person, then that part applies only to citizens.

2nd Amendment is the right of "the people" to keep and bear arms, not the right of "citizens" to keep and bear arms. So, everyone. Not defending it, but that's generally been the precedent.

If you wanna change it, you can get an amendment passed.
So how does someone in this country illegally pass an FBI background check? If that isn't a huge red flag I don't know what is. If an illegal alien can legally possess a firearm then common sense and good judgement have gone out the window. This judges decision is wrong.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

,,, the constitution doesn't say anything about an FBI or a background check. This is purely a constitutional issue given the conservative courts recent rulings. :roll: :roll: I am pretty sure your conservative justices didn't mention FBI or background checks as some requirement in their rulings.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have a problem with this, you need to write your supreme court so they will know they have to ban illegal aliens from owning guns.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm ,,, the constitution doesn't say anything about an FBI or a background check. This is purely a constitutional issue given the conservative courts recent rulings. :roll: :roll: I am pretty sure your conservative justices didn't mention FBI or background checks as some requirement in their rulings.

Weren’t there FBI background checks in the play Hamilton? I didn’t see it….
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm ,,, the constitution doesn't say anything about an FBI or a background check. This is purely a constitutional issue given the conservative courts recent rulings. :roll: :roll: I am pretty sure your conservative justices didn't mention FBI or background checks as some requirement in their rulings.

You have a problem with this, you need to write your supreme court so they will know they have to ban illegal aliens from owning guns.
When did you start using your doctorate as a door stop? You've just slipped completely out of character.
SO YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS being allowed to own weapons? What if they also possess 30 round magazines? You only have a problem with American citizens owning weapons.. I have a feeling that this idiotic decision from one of your idiotic liberal judges will come back to bite your FLP in the ass. Why is it that convicted felons can't own a weapon?? They got rights too. Sad to see your brain turning into scrambled eggs like our beloved POTUS. Do you also have a stuttering problem?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

A little article on challenges to gun legislation and regulation -- promulgated by the majoritarian branches of government -- being made in the courts. The trail of blood leads from the chambers of the Court that approved the decision in Bruen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -maryland/

"Judges on a federal appeals court in Richmond pushed back this week against efforts to undo gun regulations in Maryland and beyond, expressing incredulity from the bench at the idea that any firearm in common use cannot be legally banned no matter how dangerous.

“Have you ever fired an M16?” Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III asked an advocate for gun rights groups, who responded that he had not.

“I have,” said Wilkinson, a 1960s Army veteran appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit by President Ronald Reagan. The judge recalled firing an M16 at targets of human silhouettes. “When the bullets stuck the human being, it splintered them into all sorts of different pieces,” he said during marathon oral arguments Wednesday and Thursday in three cases related to state gun laws.

“There was very little left of the human being,” he recalled. “And that was a much earlier model of the M16. It’s since been perfected and perfected and been turned into a more lethal weapon than the one I used.”

The M16, capable of automatic and semiautomatic fire, was the U.S. military’s standard-issue rifle for decades. The civilian version, the AR-15, is hugely popular among gun enthusiasts nationwide. It is capable of rapid semiautomatic fire and has been used in numerous mass shootings over the years.

“No matter how lethal the weapon, it’s all past the ability of the state to regulate?” Wilkinson asked skeptically. “What’s the limiting principle of all this? Where does it stop?”

Courts across the country are wrestling with the same question two years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that gun regulations have to comport with “history and tradition” and that only “dangerous and unusual” weapons can be restricted. One of the cases argued in Richmond involves Maryland’s assault weapons ban, which is among a dozen laws of its type facing challenges across the country.

“I think it’s inevitable that the Supreme Court will eventually take up this question,” once more appellate courts have weighed in, said Shira Lauren Feldman, director of constitutional litigation for the gun-control group Brady United. The 4th Circuit is one of the most liberal appellate courts in the nation. But Feldman said Wilkinson’s questions show “there is a whole school of conservative judges who do not think that these challenges make a whole lot of sense.” In Illinois, she noted, another Reagan appointee recently voted to uphold that state’s assault weapons ban.

Peter A. Patterson, representing gun rights groups, told Wilkinson that the semiautomatic AR-15 banned by Maryland is “relatively underpowered.” But he said that if fully automatic weapons were commonly owned by law-abiding people, they could not be legally banned either.

“Under your theory, if Congress had never gotten around to banning fully automatic rifles and machine guns and they had become popular in common use … a state could not ban” them, said Chief Judge Albert Diaz, an appointee of President Barack Obama. “What about a bazooka used for recreational purposes? A tactical nuclear weapon? So there’s no limit. Essentially, once the cat is out of the bag, the Second Amendment trumps all?”

Patterson responded yes, in his view, this is the Supreme Court’s position.

If something is in common use, it can’t be unusually dangerous,” he said. He added, “It would not make any sense to the founders of this nation to say that as firearms technology develops, we’re going to deprive our militia of that.”

He was referring to the Second Amendment’s decree that “a well regulated militia” is “necessary to the security of a free state.” For decades, that language was interpreted as applying to military service.

In 2008, the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to bear arms that are not “dangerous and unusual.” And in 2022, the justices went further, saying that the right could only be restricted if there is historical evidence that the Constitution’s drafters would have accepted that limitation.

Under that standard, gun rights advocates who lost a challenge to Maryland’s assault weapons ban in 2017 are trying again. The 4th Circuit also reviewed a federal judge’s ruling in West Virginia that serial numbers on guns are unconstitutional because similar marks did not exist on firearms in the 1700s. The full appellate court also heard arguments regarding a judicial decision that struck down Maryland’s handgun permitting process, which can take up to a month.

Wilkinson sided with the court’s more liberal wing in 2017, saying it was judicial overreach to bar states from choosing how to handle new types of firearms. On Wednesday, he voiced similar concerns as the judges pondered whether guns with obliterated serial numbers are ever used lawfully.

“Many of these questions that we are debating here might be a proper subject for legislative findings,” he said. “What I’m worried about is the role of the legislature … being supplanted by these lawsuits.”

But other Republican appointees argued that such concerns were moot after the Supreme Court’s 2022 ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen.

“We ought to follow Bruen, whether we like it or not,” said Paul V. Niemeyer, who was appointed by President George H.W. Bush.” If we don’t like Bruen, we shouldn’t be on the court. We don’t have to like what the Supreme Court does, but we have to follow it.”

Wilkinson and Democratic appointees on the court countered that there was not enough clarity on how to evaluate what is “common” or “dangerous.” Judge Pamela A. Harris, an Obama appointee, asked “what day” would a state legislature know it had to repeal a prohibition because a particular weapon had become too popular.

“None of us are statisticians,” added Judge James Andrew Wynn, also an Obama appointee. Judge A. Marvin Quattlebaum, who was appointed by President Donald Trump, joined in pressing Patterson, the representative for the gun rights groups, to articulate “the contours of the right” to bear arms, suggesting that some limitation on what weapons are covered by the Second Amendment is different from regulating the weapons that are already covered.

In the two other cases, more judges of every ideological persuasion were skeptical of the challenges. Niemeyer doubted that Maryland’s entire handgun permitting law or the federal serial number requirement should be thrown out in the West Virginia case.

“Lawful is a prerequisite to owning a gun,” he noted (the Bruen decision covered only “law-abiding citizens”), and authorities can conduct background checks and impose product safety measures. “It seems to me that the person who obliterates” a serial number on a gun “doesn’t have any lawful purpose,” Niemeyer said.

But there was not unanimous agreement on the court. Judge Julius N. Richardson, a Trump appointee, compared Maryland’s permit process to “detain[ing] everybody in the room” because “somebody in here has a plot.” And he referred to a study from Boston to argue that guns with scratched-off markings were “relatively prevalent” and that most crimes are committed with guns that can be traced.

Public defender Lex A. Coleman, representing a man with a violent felony record convicted of possessing a gun with an obliterated serial number, agreed with that point. He said that through another client, he learned about a new firearm on the market that “looks just like a sawed-off shotgun” and is “selling like hot cakes.”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Let's circle back to my original question. Do any of you folks have a problem with illegal aliens owning guns? I'm not sure how they can pass a background check?

Return to “POLITICS”