Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Sensible Gun Safety

Post by dislaxxic »

Because its a worthwhile subject...

Many posters at LP lament the sheer NUMBER of guns in our country, arguing, essentially, that because there are so many, attempting to sensibly regulate them is never going to work.

"Never"?

There may be sensible ways to do it...and one thing is for sure, the NRA and its attitude on the issue is very likely NOT the answer...

ProCon.org

Last edited by dislaxxic on Wed May 25, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Bandito

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by Bandito »

dislaxxic wrote:Because its a worthwhile subject...

Many posters at LP lament the sheer NUMBER of guns in our country, arguing, essentially, that because there are so many, attempting to sensibly regulate them is never going to work.

"Never"?

There may be sensible ways to do it...and one thing is for sure, the NRA and its attitude on the issue is very likely NOT the answer...

ProCon.org

Chicago has some of the most strict gun laws in the country yet gun violence is through the roof. Gun control doesn't work. Bad guys will always have a gun. Good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns every time.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Gotta give you props, Bandito, you're nothing if not consistent.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I think it's hard to ban a specific weapon as there will always be another model that comes out. WIth mass shootiungs being the crisis de jour in the MSM, I think the country ultimately will and should move to capacity limits. Probably similar to the laws enacted in one of the strictist states- MD. As a recreational shooter, I think that's a fair compromise. IMO, no one needs more than 10 rounds at a time. It's enough for any sporting clay game, hunting need, and self defense.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

thatsmell wrote:I think it's hard to ban a specific weapon as there will always be another model that comes out. WIth mass shootiungs being the crisis de jour in the MSM, I think the country ultimately will and should move to capacity limits. Probably similar to the laws enacted in one of the strictist states- MD. As a recreational shooter, I think that's a fair compromise. IMO, no one needs more than 10 rounds at a time. It's enough for any sporting clay game, hunting need, and self defense.
In most mass shootings, what is the capacity of the gun being used?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

ohmilax34 wrote:
thatsmell wrote:I think it's hard to ban a specific weapon as there will always be another model that comes out. WIth mass shootiungs being the crisis de jour in the MSM, I think the country ultimately will and should move to capacity limits. Probably similar to the laws enacted in one of the strictist states- MD. As a recreational shooter, I think that's a fair compromise. IMO, no one needs more than 10 rounds at a time. It's enough for any sporting clay game, hunting need, and self defense.
In most mass shootings, what is the capacity of the gun being used?
If an AR is used a 24 round clip is standard, although I think larger clips and drums exist. Most rifles come with a 24 round clip.
If you buy any semi-automatic gun online as a Marylander, (long gun or handgun) you will either recieve a gun with a 10 round clip (if the seller has one to substitute) or you'll get the gun without a clip.
So in Maryland, you can only shoot a gun with a 10 round capacity or smaller. Or get arrested. But oddly, a Marylander can drive over the Mason Dixon line and buy a 24 rd clip in PA if they want. But they still can't shoot it in MD.
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Good news, dis, NYS is making it more difficult for undesirables to get guns. My friend's wife was prescribed medical marijuana yesterday (along with CBD oil) which immediately puts her on the list of those prohibited from buying guns. All the time she's been on antidepressants (Xanax, Zoloft) or pain killers (Oxycodone) she's been stable enough in the eyes of the Empire State to be a responsible gun owner, not with marijuana though. The chest pounding, grandstanding, anti gun, politicians really let the people of NYS know that they're on this gun control thing and are doing something about it. Meanwhile, her husband, who has been smoking marijuana for 40+ years illegally, and has been encouraging her for years to try what the Dr. just prescribed (to no avail, but now she'll try it because a Dr. prescribed it), can still go out and buy any gun he wants. Gotta love it, no guns for medical marijuana users....what happens when recreational marijuana becomes legal? The irony is, I believe the the Xanax, Zoloft, Oxy, Ritalin, etc. are a bigger part of the gun problem (perceived) than marijuana ever was, or will be.
Brilliant.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

hickorystick wrote:Good news, dis, NYS is making it more difficult for undesirables to get guns. My friend's wife was prescribed medical marijuana yesterday (along with CBD oil) which immediately puts her on the list of those prohibited from buying guns. All the time she's been on antidepressants (Xanax, Zoloft) or pain killers (Oxycodone) she's been stable enough in the eyes of the Empire State to be a responsible gun owner, not with marijuana though. The chest pounding, grandstanding, anti gun, politicians really let the people of NYS know that they're on this gun control thing and are doing something about it. Meanwhile, her husband, who has been smoking marijuana for 40+ years illegally, and has been encouraging her for years to try what the Dr. just prescribed (to no avail, but now she'll try it because a Dr. prescribed it), can still go out and buy any gun he wants. Gotta love it, no guns for medical marijuana users....what happens when recreational marijuana becomes legal? The irony is, I believe the the Xanax, Zoloft, Oxy, Ritalin, etc. are a bigger part of the gun problem (perceived) than marijuana ever was, or will be.
Brilliant.
It's not a New York thing, it's a federal thing.

As soon as you start using the devil's weed, you're a prohibited person and aren't allowed to buy a gun anywhere in the country. So if you do have friends or family who want to head to legal states to use recreationally, let them know they're forfeiting their 2nd amendment rights as long as it remains federally illegal.

And as long as we have idiots like Jeff Sessions and others in positions of power claiming Marijuana should be a Sched 1 drug, we're not gonna get very far. Hopefully we'll see the green wave grow big enough to sweep across the country in the next few election cycles and it becomes federally legal.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Those with a history of "abusing" alcophol or drugs are not allowed to purchase guns.

It's so odd that Weed is where the feds draw the line.

Shows you how much stronger the pharm companies' lobby is.

Alcohol is "legal" but it's not somethign that's prescribed. So until the Weed lobby becomes better or the recreational stuff is legalized, that is probably how the law will stay.

Interesting, crazy stuff.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Not all guns deaths occur as a result of the shooter being crazy.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

foreverlax wrote:Not all guns deaths occur as a result of the shooter being crazy.
Guns don't kill, people do. I have yet to see a gun pull its own trigger. The guns are fine.... people are the problem.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

thatsmell wrote:
ISo in Maryland, you can only shoot a gun with a 10 round capacity or smaller. Or get arrested. But oddly, a Marylander can drive over the Mason Dixon line and buy a 24 rd clip in PA if they want. But they still can't shoot it in MD.
Wrong. In Maryland, no person may manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition. You can shoot standard capacity magazines all you want.
Vail Shootout Champion 2017, 2018
Lake Placid Classic Champion 2018, 2019
Florida Lacrosse Classic Champion 2018 X2, 2019 x2
Who doesn't love ice cream!
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

thatsmell wrote:Those with a history of "abusing" alcophol or drugs are not allowed to purchase guns.

It's so odd that Weed is where the feds draw the line.

Shows you how much stronger the pharm companies' lobby is.

Alcohol is "legal" but it's not somethign that's prescribed. So until the Weed lobby becomes better or the recreational stuff is legalized, that is probably how the law will stay.

Interesting, crazy stuff.
Inasmuch as the stigma being perpetuated by the feds is based on lies fabricated by Uncle Sam's crew of crookeds, it is indeed crazy. It's not as if Reefer Madness hasn't been exposed for the fairy tale that it is, or the "research" the crookeds did in the one authorized lab in the country, which was anything but objective or without agenda, has any merit, yet this mentality is still used by the feds to determine whether or not one is stable enough to buy a gun. Certainly doesn't do much to improve the lack of trust citizens have with the feds. Another policy based on lies, like the Duke rape case and the UVA rape case. No truth to either one of those cases, yet the stigma of young college boys being rapists and sexual assaulters remains, and policies established on those fabricated stories remain in effect.
Crazy indeed.
Superdaves

Post by Superdaves »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
foreverlax wrote:Not all guns deaths occur as a result of the shooter being crazy.
Guns don't kill, people do. I have yet to see a gun pull its own trigger. The guns are fine.... people are the problem.
Actually it's more people with guns. I've never seen a drive by baseball batting....except when there use to be wooden mailboxes :D
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

No mass shootings have been committed by NRA members either. Your kind need to stop blaming the NRA for gun violence.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Bandito wrote:
No mass shootings have been committed by NRA members either. Your kind need to stop blaming the NRA for gun violence.
There is no way to prove that statement.

You weren't talking about mass shootings.....
Guns don't pull their own triggers. We don't blame the car for car crashes. This is very tragic situation but again, guns aren't the problem, its the crazy people behind the trigger.
...I was just making it clear that your extreme position was inaccurate.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

foreverlax wrote:
Bandito wrote:
There is no way to prove that statement.

You weren't talking about mass shootings.....
Guns don't pull their own triggers. We don't blame the car for car crashes. This is very tragic situation but again, guns aren't the problem, its the crazy people behind the trigger.
...I was just making it clear that your extreme position was inaccurate.
Everything I stated is true. Guns don't pull their own triggers. Cars aren't blamed for the car crashes. So why do we turn guns into the enemy? The second amendment has been proven historically to be cut and dry. And yes, no NRA member has ever committed a mass shooting with a firearm. But liberals have.

Return to “POLITICS”