Simone Biles

General Chatter
SCLaxAttack

Simone Biles

Post by SCLaxAttack »

NoLeft

Re: Simone Biles

Post by NoLeft »

A superb athlete. I marvel at these gymnasts, springboard and platform divers that can perform these precise routines while rolling, twisting and somersaulting in the air for a few seconds....
I hope Ms Biles can keep her act together during the next year and at the Olympics...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

8th USA gymnastics Championship - I believe this is a new record. That is so awesome.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Suni Lee helps give USA a terrific one-two punch:

Reigning Olympic champion Sunisa Lee overcomes health issue to compete at US Championships

https://apnews.com/article/reigning-oly ... f3a81d2e86

Strictly going by standings, reigning Olympic all-around gold medalist Sunisa Lee finished last at the U.S. Championships — yet ask anybody who knows her and they will view those results in a completely different light.

“I’m beyond proud of her that she was able to come out here and show what she did,” Jordan Chiles said.

“It is exciting to see her overcome everything that she has and come back out here stronger, because I think it does send a good message to the younger ones,” said Simone Biles, who won her eighth championship.

The score sheet with Biles on top and Lee at the very bottom hardly told the story of Lee’s tumultuous year dealing with a kidney-related health issue and just how much it took to even get to San Jose this past week.

more ...

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Cathy Rigby. This gifted cutie inspired an entire generation of gymnasts:

She will always be a great sports heroine to everyone.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Simone has come back stronger than ever, really looks like she's in a class all by herself right now.
This girl is pretty nuts too...this is just amazing. :o
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... heerleader
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:29 am Simone has come back stronger than ever, really looks like she's in a class all by herself right now.
This girl is pretty nuts too...this is just amazing. :o
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... heerleader

Amazing!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Many moons ago I was one of many who lobbied for passage of Title IX. At that time I was hoping that it would lead to the promotion of more traditional female sports such as gymnastics (now called artistic gymnastics), synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, acrobatics, competitive team dance, precision team ice dancing (also called synchronized skating), and even Apollonian dance. Bearing in mind that Title IX is gender neutral, I was also hoping to see more mens sports such as field hockey, cricket, rugby (both codes), Greco-Roman wrestling, and hurling. Sad to say, Title IX did not help to promote these sports but, in fact, killed them in many schools. One of the sports that suffered the most was gymnastics, mens gymnastics especially so. As for womens, back in the day we had about 200 college teams around 1970. Today, I understand we have only 63. These losses have been attributed to compliance with Title IX though I do not believe this attribution is entirely warranted. The problem, as I see it, is that schools direct excessively large amounts of financial resources into major sports. This while minor sports go unfunded and then disappear.

In the old days, college sports coaches were paid no more than a professor. That 's the way it should be. There is no need to pay million dollar salaries for coaches. The money can be used to finance all the sports mentioned above while paying the coaches the same amounts as faculty members are. College sports should be about having fun, promoting good character, and good citizenship. Not about enriching coaches who have the option of working in the pro ranks or filling the pockets of school regents.

Let's spread the wealthy and have more college sports. This will likely give us many more Simone Biles, Suni Lees, and Cathy Rigbys.

Brooklyn

Tiffany: Gymnastics Super Star!

Post by Brooklyn »

Tiffany Stratton - folks here in the Tundra are now speaking of Tiffany as the New Goddess of Sports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qm4x09KT1c

How gymnastics prepared her for wrestling:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1350072/ww ... wrestling/

awesomeness:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sp ... ymnastics/

This wonderful sport is about so much more than beauty as strength, charisma, conditioning, and stamina are all essential elements. At bottom, it is a sport about personal excellence. The many athletes discussed on this thread fully illustrate all this.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”