NCAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2024

Post by oldtimelax »

Welcome back, Ned. Denison is still the team to beat, no argument about that from me. The surprise team so far might be Wooster (8-3), who beat up on Wittenberg 16-6, and has a good goalie, All-American on Defense and and a high-scoring attack unit. OWU is coming together, and has two exciting new freshmen scorers, Beckstrom and Ross. Two of last years' attack, Amacher and Seigenthaler have missed substantial time dealing with injuries, but last weekend vs. Oberlin, nearly everyone was back and the Bishops has a season-high 18 goals scored, with nine different players finding the back of the net. Hopefully the Bishops will be peaking on April 27th for the home game vs. The Big Red.
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

Quill wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:02 am Turnovers are part of BR offensive struggle. 3 players averaging 2 or more TO per game

https://www.lax.com/stats?division=3&ye ... ference=19

1 Noah Pilgram. Hiram 46. 5.1
2 Quinn Fitzgerald Wabash 32. 3.6
3 Ryan Blasberg Oberlin 30. 3.0
4. Brett Johnson. Hiram 25 2.8
5 Jack Flynn. Depauw. 27. 2.7
6 Henry White. Depauw 26. 2.6
7. Christian Dybedock Wabash 21 2.3
8. Will Sorg. Wabash. 21. 2.3
9. Luke Fisher. Denison. 20. 2.2
10. Wade Beckstrom. Ohio Wesleyan. 16. 2.0
11. Nate Kay. Denison 18. 2.0
12. Gideon Sullivan. Allegheny. 16. 2.0
13 Nathan Brown. Wittenberg. 12 2.0
14 Tommy Quinson. Denison. 18. 2.0
When you have as many turnovers as goals is not good. Just shows you can load early on patsies with goals/points, but when you start playing good teams reality sets in
Quill

Post by Quill »

BR attack hasn't found a lefty finisher. Good defenses have figured out that they only need to cover a bit more than half the field and can leave the left crease abandoned. Running into doubled up D is what causes the low SH% and high TO rate. The attack is talented and shifty enough to dodge around weaker D and put up points.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Quill wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:02 am Turnovers are part of BR offensive struggle. 3 players averaging 2 or more TO per game

https://www.lax.com/stats?division=3&ye ... ference=19

1 Noah Pilgram. Hiram 46. 5.1
2 Quinn Fitzgerald Wabash 32. 3.6
3 Ryan Blasberg Oberlin 30. 3.0
4. Brett Johnson. Hiram 25 2.8
5 Jack Flynn. Depauw. 27. 2.7
6 Henry White. Depauw 26. 2.6
7. Christian Dybedock Wabash 21 2.3
8. Will Sorg. Wabash. 21. 2.3
9. Luke Fisher. Denison. 20. 2.2
10. Wade Beckstrom. Ohio Wesleyan. 16. 2.0
11. Nate Kay. Denison 18. 2.0
12. Gideon Sullivan. Allegheny. 16. 2.0
13 Nathan Brown. Wittenberg. 12 2.0
14 Tommy Quinson. Denison. 18. 2.0
No doubt TOs can kill! IMO Just need to be careful with a simple list of TOs per game. Would prefer if weighted against number of handles per game. Fisher probably has the ball in his cross at least a few times on each possession - and given his production you can look past his TOs. In fact the Big Red players listed are all starting Att so they will have the ball much more than others not listed and dodging against a pole most likely. So my point is, yes 2TOs per game us A LOT. But given the teams they’ve faced in the OOC slate, I expect that average to drop considerably in conference. I want to see better shooting percentage from everyone - that will fix what ails them in my opinion.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Quill wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm BR attack hasn't found a lefty finisher. Good defenses have figured out that they only need to cover a bit more than half the field and can leave the left crease abandoned. Running into doubled up D is what causes the low SH% and high TO rate. The attack is talented and shifty enough to dodge around weaker D and put up points.
They miss Butler! One of the best finishers ever to play at Denison. 185 goals (4 short of all time record) and in just 3 years! Now he was “a lefty finisher” who could ping the corners or quick stick on the crease. Loved watching that 2017 team!

I mention #2 because he was the lefty on that team. A look at his stats from 2017 shows 19 games played w 65 goals 17 ass a .748 SOG %. .528 shooting % with 19 TOs (1 per gm). I think any Big Red fan would jump at a guy with that stat line for this years team.

On that team Donohue had 27 TOs (65 g) and Rooney had 36 TOs (2 per game) but had 88 assists! So again, don’t read too much in to simple TO per game! Yiu can live with the TOs if you bury the rock! And those 2016-2020 teams could do that - they had a lot of GREAT shooters! Paulus; Donohue, Davy and getting set up by Rooney and Pittroff! Best teams ever at Denison IMHO.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:55 am Welcome back, Ned. Denison is still the team to beat, no argument about that from me. The surprise team so far might be Wooster (8-3), who beat up on Wittenberg 16-6, and has a good goalie, All-American on Defense and and a high-scoring attack unit. OWU is coming together, and has two exciting new freshmen scorers, Beckstrom and Ross. Two of last years' attack, Amacher and Seigenthaler have missed substantial time dealing with injuries, but last weekend vs. Oberlin, nearly everyone was back and the Bishops has a season-high 18 goals scored, with nine different players finding the back of the net. Hopefully the Bishops will be peaking on April 27th for the home game vs. The Big Red.
Thanks for the warm greetings both Old and White!

Old I’m glad to see the Bishops have a couple of FYs contributing immediately! That’s always a boost to any program. And I recall you saying how good you thought last years freshman class was so this all bodes well for the future in Delaware Ohio! Both Denison and the NCAC are better off when OWU is playing at a high level.

As always, I too am anxiously awaiting “THE GAME”. Let’s hope both teams arrive there healthy and playing great lacrosse! Should be a battle!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm ...
They miss Butler! One of the best finishers ever to play at Denison. 185 goals (4 short of all time record) and in just 3 years! Now he was “a lefty finisher” who could ping the corners or quick stick on the crease. Loved watching that 2017 team!
Hello Ned, good to see you back. Yes, that 2017 Denison team came within a whisker of beating Salisbury in Maryland to advance to the D3 championship game. Caravana's departure certainly left big shoes to fill. The next year, OWU beat Salisbury in Ohio. Since then, OWU has fallen off of Salisbury's schedule, with NCAC teams finding it much more difficult to compete nationally. Hopefully, the end of D3 grad-student and 5th-year players as Covid recedes further into the past will help the conference regain some stature. In any case, I'll be in Granville, Ohio next week (for the first time in 20 years!) and look forward to checking out the new Denison lacrosse facility, even if fate has conspired to put Hiram on the schedule for my visit.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:33 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm ...
Hello Ned, good to see you back. Yes, that 2017 Denison team came within a whisker of beating Salisbury in Maryland to advance to the D3 championship game. Caravana's departure certainly left big shoes to fill. The next year, OWU beat Salisbury in Ohio. Since then, OWU has fallen off of Salisbury's schedule, with NCAC teams finding it much more difficult to compete nationally. Hopefully, the end of D3 grad-student and 5th-year players as Covid recedes further into the past will help the conference regain some stature. In any case, I'll be in Granville, Ohio next week (for the first time in 20 years!) and look forward to checking out the new Denison lacrosse facility, even if fate has conspired to put Hiram on the schedule for my visit.
Hi Fann …. I hope all is well with you and yours!

I haven’t been in beautiful Granville myself yet this season so I haven’t had the pleasure to take in the new stadium. Unfortunately the camera for the game streams is in the press box and therefore only catches the far side - team sides - of the field. I have seen glimpses of the stand side on Denison’s game highlight Instagram posts. It looks beautiful. So I’ll be very curious to hear your first hand review. Enjoy your trip home!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Ned...I agree that new stadium is NOT showcased on the otherwise excellent Big Red Network broadcasts. The camera view is from the press box and shows the teams are on the far side of the field, where there are no stands at all. Looks like no one is at the game.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:17 am Ned...I agree that new stadium is NOT showcased on the otherwise excellent Big Red Network broadcasts. The camera view is from the press box and shows the teams are on the far side of the field, where there are no stands at all. Looks like no one is at the game.
Minor pet peeve of mine is that many programs place the player benches on the far side of the field, away from the fans. Harvard and Denison both have this set-up. It would increase the energy level at games if the players could hear the support directly behind them. It would also entice the fans to shout encouragement since they know the players could hear them. I understand that some coaches probably feel the opposite and would like to conduct their business in (semi) private.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:34 am
oldtimelax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:17 am Ned...I agree that new stadium is NOT showcased on the otherwise excellent Big Red Network broadcasts. The camera view is from the press box and shows the teams are on the far side of the field, where there are no stands at all. Looks like no one is at the game.
Minor pet peeve of mine is that many programs place the player benches on the far side of the field, away from the fans. Harvard and Denison both have this set-up. It would increase the energy level at games if the players could hear the support directly behind them. It would also entice the fans to shout encouragement since they know the players could hear them. I understand that some coaches probably feel the opposite and would like to conduct their business in (semi) private.
This is the setup now at the new facility. However when the Big Red played in the football stadium, the home team stands were behind the benches and the away fans sat on the opposite side of the field. I did enjoy the closeness to the goings on, on the bench. It did allow for a more intimate atmosphere I feel. That said, I could see some downside from an Athletic Department view point, allowing the student section to be located directly behind the visiting team bench. I do recall on several occasions the AD having to remind the students section what good sportsmanship looked and sounded like! Haha booooo
Not sure if that had anything to do with bench placement at the new field but perhaps the AD thought it was one way to eliminate any potential problem.

But I agree, better experience sitting behind the benches.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Can Opener - I agree with you. I think it's much better to have the benches and fans on the same side. Some sites have limitations and that's okay, but I never understood when a program had ample room to do it that way and yet chose to isolate the teams on the other side. Anyway, one thing I've found almost universally true is that regardless of which side the fans are on, the sun is shining warmer on the other.

Ned, DU's new stadium appears to be a lot like Wabash's. Maybe a few more seats, and definitely a better press box. Wabash has a field level box behind the bench, and then bathrooms behind the seating. BTW - what are all those extra lines on DU's field?
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:17 pm Can Opener - I agree with you. I think it's much better to have the benches and fans on the same side. Some sites have limitations and that's okay, but I never understood when a program had ample room to do it that way and yet chose to isolate the teams on the other side. Anyway, one thing I've found almost universally true is that regardless of which side the fans are on, the sun is shining warmer on the other.

Ned, DU's new stadium appears to be a lot like Wabash's. Maybe a few more seats, and definitely a better press box. Wabash has a field level box behind the bench, and then bathrooms behind the seating. BTW - what are all those extra lines on DU's field?
Haha … that’s right White, Wabash only stripes for 1 lacrosse team. I do have one beef with the new stadium. The rendering show the men’s lacrosse lines as white lines and the soccer lines as black lines. Thought it looked nice. But the finished product reversed the colors. I like the rendering version better.
hatinghayden

Post by hatinghayden »

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think OWU will really give Denison a run for their money this year. They looked great against Oberlin. They were fast and clinical. I also think Denison is on a down year and looks more vulnerable than ever despite their 10 goal victory over Kenyon.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

hatinghayden wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think OWU will really give Denison a run for their money this year. They looked great against Oberlin. They were fast and clinical. I also think Denison is on a down year and looks more vulnerable than ever despite their 10 goal victory over Kenyon.
Being a Big Red fan, I have come to expect nothing less than a very motivated, aggressive and well coached OWU team when lining up against Denison. This is one of the best rivalries in all D3 lacrosse. A “throw out the records” game every year! So OWU giving Denison “a run for its money” is no shocking forecast and not as “unpopular” a call as you may think. However aren’t you the same guy that had called for Hiram to surprise Oberlin? In the end, Hiram found themselves on the wrong end of 19-2 final score? If I’m a Bishop fan maybe I don’t want you handicapping this game in my favor! 😛. Just sayin’. April 27 will be a must watch!

GO BIG RED
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Ned - a funny story about Wabash's aversion to extra lines:
Back in 2008-09ish, when planning for the initial stadium field-turf, some questioned whether the soccer program might finally be welcome in Little Giant stadium. They'd always been in aptly named Mud Hollow (next to the football practice fields), but the old-school alumni ($$$) cried foul, and I'll politely paraphrase, "We're not putting all those bleeping soccer lines on the football field!" In short order more money was raised and soccer got its own stadium across the street, which it now shares with lacrosse. (Title Nine, what??)
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
laxmax234

Post by laxmax234 »

hatinghayden wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think OWU will really give Denison a run for their money this year. They looked great against Oberlin. They were fast and clinical. I also think Denison is on a down year and looks more vulnerable than ever despite their 10 goal victory over Kenyon.
OWU did look sharp against the young Oberlin squad. Looking at this Oberlin team though, they seem like they showed flashes of what they can be down the road with 22 freshmen. Time will tell with them.
S.E.D.

Post by S.E.D. »

I believe a lot of the 22 Oberlin freshmen are starting or playing big roles
hatinghayden

Post by hatinghayden »

Nosey Ned wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm
Being a Big Red fan, I have come to expect nothing less than a very motivated, aggressive and well coached OWU team when lining up against Denison. This is one of the best rivalries in all D3 lacrosse. A “throw out the records” game every year! So OWU giving Denison “a run for its money” is no shocking forecast and not as “unpopular” a call as you may think. However aren’t you the same guy that had called for Hiram to surprise Oberlin? In the end, Hiram found themselves on the wrong end of 19-2 final score? If I’m a Bishop fan maybe I don’t want you handicapping this game in my favor! 😛. Just sayin’. April 27 will be a must watch!

GO BIG RED
Let's all forget the Hiram pick...with that being said, if OWU is able to get past Kenyon that OWU Denison matchup will have high stakes. The winner gets to play a Wooster or Oberlin team(I really don't know which team will take the final spot), and the loser gets to go up against Kenyon, who is a tougher opponent. In a year when the NCAC is back to one bid conference, there is once again a lot on the line.
ncacmaniac

Post by ncacmaniac »

All of this is horseshit real rubber heads know that the NCAC runs through the Terriers

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”