NCAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2024

Post by oldtimelax »

White....Not sure what you mean by 8-10 goals better? Per game scoring? Goal Differential? Anyway, that's a huge leap for any team and we all would love to see Wabash become relevant in the conference.

They are usually good in football and basketball and they are increasing their roster size and seem to have a good young coach. Recent out of conference win vs. Virginia Wesleyan is a change from last year's result, but they are a pretty weak program in the ODAC. Looks like things are moving in the right direction, however. There are lots of good players in Chicagoland and Indiana HS lacrosse is putting out some good players too. OWU has a great middie from Fishers, IN.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I guess I thought I was pretty clear, but let me state it a different way. I think the ‘24 Wabash team would beat the ‘23 Wabash team by 8 to 10 goals.

I’m curious to see others’ opinions when framed the same way.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:49 pm I guess I thought I was pretty clear, but let me state it a different way. I think the ‘24 Wabash team would beat the ‘23 Wabash team by 8 to 10 goals.

I’m curious to see others’ opinions when framed the same way.
I agree about that with Wabash, even though you lose Stonis, they upgraded with an expanded roster
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

Heidelberg gets its first win over an NCAC school :oops:
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I just looked up Heidelberg’s schedule and thought I’d clicked the baseball link by mistake. Six total games with neither team scoring ten goals. How does that happen?
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:25 pm I just looked up Heidelberg’s schedule and thought I’d clicked the baseball link by mistake. Six total games with neither team scoring ten goals. How does that happen?
And being .500 is crazy, but their schedule so far is ass
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Nice effort by Wooster vs. a tough Ithaca squad in a game played at Virginia Beach. Game was tied 7-7 going into the final 90 seconds. Late goal by Ithaca sealed the deal, but Scots got a nice shot off as time expired. They might surprise some teams when conference play begins next week.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Not a great Out-of-Conference performance by the NCAC as a whole, as the teams shift to conference play this week....

Denison (2-4) took on a beast of a schedule with #3 RIT, #8 W&L, #13 Lynchburg and #12Gettysburg and lost all four, with only one of those games being close. The next three are tough ones too, John Carroll on Wednesday, Kenyon on Saturday and #11 York on March 29th at home. The Big Red clearly need to get their mojo back and very quickly.

Kenyon (6-3) has a far better record, but this team is a bit quirky. They eked out one-goal victories over Capital (1-7) and Baldwin-Wallace (1-5), but buried Transylvania, Albion and Adrian. They led #5 Dickinson, 7-5 at the half, before folding in the second half. They then lost a heart-breaker to #22 Franklin & Marshall in the final seconds. Last Saturday, they lost to a good, but unranked, Grove City team at home, 16-7. They start conference play with Denison, and have a week to figure out which team will show up.

OWU is 3-3 on the season, with easy wins over Transylvania and St. Vincent, and a tough one-goal win over John Carroll, and losses to #4 CNU (15-7), Grove City (10-8) and #19 Hampden-Sydney (12-11). OWU seems to coming together offensively, and doesn't play Kenyon for another four weeks, and Denison, until on the last day of the regular season.

Wooster (5-3) is the most interesting team among the rest. They have won five by wide margins -- Otterbein, Capital, St. Vincent, Westminster, and Mt. Union, but lost to John Carroll by -5 and Cabrini by -8. They did play Ithaca tough, a decent team in the tough Liberty Conference, losing in the final minute 8-7 in a game played in Virginia Beach. Wittenberg is 4-0, but hasn't really played any tough teams yet. They face OWU on Saturday.

The Denison faithful have been silent lately (Ned and FannOLax), probably adhering to what our mothers taught us, that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all....
Last edited by oldtimelax on Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Yes - it's interesting how quiet this board is when Denison is 2-4 ;)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 pm Not a great Out-of-Conference performance by the NCAC as a whole, as the teams shift to conference play this week....

Denison (2-4) took on a beast of a schedule with #3 RIT, #8 W&L, #13 Lynchburg and #12Gettysburg and lost all four, with only one of those games being close. The next three are tough ones too, John Carroll on Wednesday, Kenyon on Saturday and #11 York on March 29th at home. The Big Red clearly need to get their mojo back and very quickly.

Kenyon (6-3) has a far better record, but this team is a bit quirky. They are eked out one-goal victories over Capital (1-7) and Baldwin-Wallace (1-5), but buried Transylvania, Albion and Adrian. They led #5 Dickinson 7-5 at the half, before folding in the second half. They then lost a heart-breaker to #22 Franklin & Marshall in the final seconds. Last Saturday, the lost to a good, but unranked Grove City team at home, 16-7. They start conference play with Denison and have a week to figure out which team will show up.

OWU is 3-3 on the season, with easy wins over Transylvania and St. Vincent, and a tough one-goal win over John Carroll and losses to #4 CNU (15-7), Grove City (10-8) and #19 Hampden-Sydney (12-11). OWU seems to coming together offensively and doesn't play Kenyon for another four weeks and Denison on the last day of the regular season.

Wooster (5-3) is the most interesting team among the rest. They have won five by wide margins -- Otterbein, Capital, St. Vincent, Westminster, and Mt. Union, but lost to John Carroll by -5 and Cabrini by -8. They did play Ithaca tough, a decent team in the tough Liberty Conference, losing in the final minute 8-7 in a game played in Virginia Beach. Wittenberg is 4-0, but hasn't really played any tough teams yet. They face OWU on Saturday.

The Denison faithful have been silent lately (Ned and FannOLax), probably adhering to what our mothers taught us, that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all....
Hello OldTimeLax and others. I'm still around, much more focused lately on D1, especially the Ivies (went to the Yale-Harvard game Saturday). Denison and OWU have both been losing their games against ODAC and other traditional lacrosse opposition, although OWU's win over John Carrol represents progress from recent years. John Carrol's planned move to the NCAC is definitely positive, and perhaps Wooster and Kenyon are getting closer to unseating the NCAC "traditional two." I plan on visiting my childhood hometown of Granville in April, and look forward to checking out my old back yard (AKA the Denison campus) and seeing what's been done to the old soccer/lacrosse facility, where I witnessed my first lacrosse games way before lax was shown on Ohio television. Cheers and I hope everyone is enjoying some entertaining lacrosse.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I'm not discounting any strength of schedule claims (that are extremely valid), and obviously this will change a lot, but this is kinda wild:

NCAC
Team W - L
Wabash 6 - 1
Kenyon 6 - 3
Oberlin 5 - 2
Wooster 5 - 3
Wittenberg 4 - 0
DePauw 4 - 2
Hiram 4 - 3
OWU 3 - 3
Denison 2 - 4
Quill

Post by Quill »

Big Red struggles:

187 Denison 6 99 132 .750

Ranked 187 in D3 with a 75% clear percentage

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... eam/838/p4
Quill

Post by Quill »

BR SH%

2/17/24 RIT L .186
2/24/24 at Albion W .269
2/28/24 Baldwin Wallace W .288
3/03/24 at Washington and Lee L .297
3/10/24 at Lynchburg L .108
3/16/24 at Gettysburg L .194
hatinghayden

Post by hatinghayden »

It's a big one for the terriers as they take on the Yeoman from Oberlin. I believe there is a chance that Hiram can stun this young Yeoman team! Either way, conference play starts, which is always an exciting time. Go terriers!
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Two other conference games today that could be telling:
Hanover at DePauw (Throw out their romp over Anderson, and DPU averages <6 goals per game)
John Carroll at Denison (Denison has home field advantage, but I'm not sure a 7PM start in 30 degree temps favors anyone)
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

The latter game is at John Carroll....tonight at 7PM...32 degrees, 18 mph winds, 17 degrees with the wind chill....gets extra chilly right by the lake.

https://jcusports.com/sports/2013/8/29/ ... spx?id=583
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

hatinghayden wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:20 pm It's a big one for the terriers as they take on the Yeoman from Oberlin. I believe there is a chance that Hiram can stun this young Yeoman team! Either way, conference play starts, which is always an exciting time. Go terriers!
No offense but what makes you think that? Hiram got smacked by 11 to a young Franciscan team last month. This will be another 0-fer NCAC campaign for the Terriers.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

NCAC Scores:

Oberlin 19, Hiram 2
Denison 9, JCU 4
DePauw 17, Hanover 5
Wooster 11, Allegheny 9
hatinghayden

Post by hatinghayden »

Wow I was wrong! Never could have guessed that!! Terriers in the mud never putting my mortgage on them again.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Conference play this weekend features a crucial match-up that will see Kenyon make the short drive down to Granville to face-off with Denison. Kenyon came from behind to beat Denison by a goal last year in Gambier. Can Kenyon get a massive win in Granville? A decade or so ago, Wittenberg made the NCAC conference tourney several times, but the program seems to have faded since then; Saturday Witt plays at OWU. Wooster will expect to beat DePauw Saturday in Wooster.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”