NCAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

NCAC 2024

Post by oldtimelax »

Most of the schools in this conference have opened for the Fall. The NCAC should be more competitive than ever, with many new, young coaches who have been recruiting heavily. Oberlin has 22 first-years coming in, based on the Inside Lacrosse database, and Denison, Kenyon and OWU all seem to have done well, with players coming from top HS and prep programs. OWU had a very young team last year and reports are they have very strong incoming class of 20+.

Top tier for the conference should still be last year's conference leaders (each had 7-1 conference record):

1. Denison
2. Kenyon
3. Ohio Wesleyan

After that:
4./5/6. Oberlin, Wooster or Wittenberg
7. DePauw
8. Wabash
9. Hiram

Predictions?
Ncacjunkie77

Re: NCAC 2024

Post by Ncacjunkie77 »

Denison is, deservedly so, the team to beat once again. Though they continue to rack up ncac tournament championships, they have shown year after year the inability to turn the corner on a national stage.
After years of knocking on the door, Kenyon broke through with their first victory over Denison since 2006. They were were undoubtedly left with a bad taste in their mouth after their second half collapse in the championship game, in which they saw a 7 goal lead erased by goal after Denison goal. Judging by kenyon’s returners and incoming class, it seems they just might have the juice necessary to threaten Denison’s supremacy.
Ohio Wesleyan is tough and scrappy, but doesn’t have that certain panache necessary to truly make a push for the conference.
Oberlin intrigues me a great deal. The doug Misarti coaching tree continues to take root as DC Tom Koslowski makes his much anticipated return to the conference after spending a year with a winless bates team. It seems oberlin’s cohort of former kenyon assistants hope to make some waves in the NCAC.
Wooster barely warrants any form of discussion, as their season’s second half collapse proved there wasn’t much “fight” in those scots. 1/2
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

OWU is off to a surprisingly slow start in signing '24 players with only one on board so far according to Inside Lacrosse. Their competition is faring better:
* Kenyon - 11 commits
* Denison - 8 commits
* Oberlin - 7 commits
ergit

Post by ergit »

Inside Lacrosse is not that accurate. Many commits don’t show up on schools’ committed lists. It is entirely dependent on self-reporting.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

ergit wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:57 pm Inside Lacrosse is not that accurate. Many commits don’t show up on schools’ committed lists. It is entirely dependent on self-reporting.
+1
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

ergit wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:57 pm Inside Lacrosse is not that accurate. Many commits don’t show up on schools’ committed lists. It is entirely dependent on self-reporting.
Not a big deal, but I don't think this is an IL issue. I can't think of a reason why athletes would purposely announce their OWU commitment more slowly than someone announces a commitment to conference rivals. I probably should not have said it is surprising that OWU has only signed one player, since they had only signed two by this time last year, on their way to a class of 10 kids. To his credit, Plantholt seems to have avoided the bloated rosters of other D3 programs. According to the team photo, he only carried 35 last season. Not a heads in beds strategy, which is good.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

OWU's Fall Ball games will be at Mercyhurst (Erie, Pa.) on October 22nd... They are slated to play Mercyhurst (D2 runner up in 2023) at 12:30pm and Capital University at 3:00pm.
ncacmaniac

Post by ncacmaniac »

Hearing reports out of Granville that current Big Red coach Eric Koch is considering making the move to Hiram to become the head ball coach for the Terriers. Would be a monumental shift in the conference. Also, the Terriers welcome two D1 transfers, making this an ideal landing spot for Koch.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

ncacmaniac wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:37 pm Hearing reports out of Granville that current Big Red coach Eric Koch is considering making the move to Hiram to become the head ball coach for the Terriers. Would be a monumental shift in the conference. Also, the Terriers welcome two D1 transfers, making this an ideal landing spot for Koch.
Eat some more Gummies and find something else to do.
ncacmaniac

Post by ncacmaniac »

oldtimelax wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:58 pm Most of the schools in this conference have opened for the Fall. The NCAC should be more competitive than ever, with many new, young coaches who have been recruiting heavily. Oberlin has 22 first-years coming in, based on the Inside Lacrosse database, and Denison, Kenyon and OWU all seem to have done well, with players coming from top HS and prep programs. OWU had a very young team last year and reports are they have very strong incoming class of 20+.

Top tier for the conference should still be last year's conference leaders (each had 7-1 conference record):

1. Denison
2. Kenyon
3. Ohio Wesleyan

After that:
4./5/6. Oberlin, Wooster or Wittenberg
7. DePauw
8. Wabash
9. Hiram

Predictions?
Don't understand why everyone is so down on this new look Terrier program. They'll see come spring!
ncacmaniac

Post by ncacmaniac »

Does "The Steamer", give Wittenberg the early season advantage in the NCAC?
ncacmaniac

Post by ncacmaniac »

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:05 pm
ncacmaniac wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:37 pm Hearing reports out of Granville that current Big Red coach Eric Koch is considering making the move to Hiram to become the head ball coach for the Terriers. Would be a monumental shift in the conference. Also, the Terriers welcome two D1 transfers, making this an ideal landing spot for Koch.
Eat some more Gummies and find something else to do.
It will be hard with a monumental move like this in the works
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Denison scheduled has been posted. I think Coach Koch has crafted a very competitive slate, one that should have the team ready for NCAC play. Thoughts?

https://denisonbigred.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
Leonard Washington

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 am Denison scheduled has been posted. I think Coach Koch has crafted a very competitive slate, one that should have the team ready for NCAC play. Thoughts?

Schedule is similar to last year with no easy games other than Transylvania out of conference and the Big Red will definitely be challenged and battle tested come conference play.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 am
Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 am Denison scheduled has been posted. I think Coach Koch has crafted a very competitive slate, one that should have the team ready for NCAC play. Thoughts?

Schedule is similar to last year with no easy games other than Transylvania out of conference and the Big Red will definitely be challenged and battle tested come conference play.
Hey Leonard. Agreed it is similar but I think this slate is a bit tougher IMHO. Out from ‘23 are Hampden-Sydney; St Mary’s and Grove City who the Big Red went 3-0 against and replacing them for ‘24 are RIT; Lynchburg and John Carroll. The remaining schedule is identical. Of course Denison did eventually meet (and got eliminated by) the Hornets in last year’s NCAAs.
Now no disrespect meant to the ‘23 teams, but I don’t see Denison going 3-0 against this new group of 3. However if I’m wrong and they do, I dare say we could be looking at a special year for the Big Red!

That’s why Fall is great, we can play these what if games in our minds!

Go Big Red
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:51 pm

Hey Leonard. Agreed it is similar but I think this slate is a bit tougher IMHO. Out from ‘23 are Hampden-Sydney; St Mary’s and Grove City who the Big Red went 3-0 against and replacing them for ‘24 are RIT; Lynchburg and John Carroll. The remaining schedule is identical. Of course Denison did eventually meet (and got eliminated by) the Hornets in last year’s NCAAs.
Now no disrespect meant to the ‘23 teams, but I don’t see Denison going 3-0 against this new group of 3. However if I’m wrong and they do, I dare say we could be looking at a special year for the Big Red!

Go Big Red
Agreed. Nice strong schedule. Wish them much success this year.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Leonard Washington

Go Big Red
While I don't disagree, I feel that getting RIT early as opposed to later (say the Mustang Classic) will have it's advantages for Denison hence why I said the schedule was similar. Tigers should definitely be on upset alert coming to Granville that early. IMO it is along the lines of them traveling to Allentown, almost a year to the day, to play Muhlenberg. RIT still has a positions to get sorted out, gel and get rolling heading into the heart of their schedule and of course Liberty League play.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:49 pm

Go Big Red
While I don't disagree, I feel that getting RIT early as opposed to later (say the Mustang Classic) will have it's advantages for Denison hence why I said the schedule was similar. Tigers should definitely be on upset alert coming to Granville that early. IMO it is along the lines of them traveling to Allentown, almost a year to the day, to play Muhlenberg. RIT still has a positions to get sorted out, gel and get rolling heading into the heart of their schedule and of course Liberty League play.
I like the way you’re thinking Leonard! Definitely glad it’s RIT making the 6 hour bus trip! Hopefully this becomes an annual matchup much like the OWU v RIT one had been for a number of years before ending last season.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:55 pm

Go Big Red
Agreed. Nice strong schedule. Wish them much success this year.
Thanks Deep. Same to your Spartan’s. And here’s hoping the Big Red give them a better game this year then we have the last 2. For some reason we just haven’t represented well in either of these games. I like to think we’re better than we’ve showed …. maybe home cooking will be the tonic we need to show up!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Tough schedule by Coach Koch -- five teams that should compete in the Top 10-15. He's definitely preparing his team to go deep in the NCAA tournament and keeps his team sharp when playing some of the easier teams in the NCAC.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”