Change in top schools

D1 Womens Lacrosse
maggie.boyle2025

Change in top schools

Post by maggie.boyle2025 »

Does anyone think that there will be a change in teams that are winning championships. For the past couple years the same schools are the ones winning national titles, but recently old powerhouse schools have started to underperform(Maryland). Do schools like Loyola and Stony Brook have potential to finally make a final four or a championship game? Also are there other schools that have potential to become top 25 teams, or top 10 teams that aren’t usually there?
ultravisitor

Re: Change in top schools

Post by ultravisitor »

Maybe some schools like Loyola or Stony Brook can break through to championship weekend, but I think the title is going to continue going to one of the same schools that has been winning championships for a while--at least, for the near future.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:39 am Maybe some schools like Loyola or Stony Brook can break through to championship weekend, but I think the title is going to continue going to one of the same schools that has been winning championships for a while--at least, for the near future.
Having watched college lax for the past 15 years I feel that it will always be the usual suspects. Possibly ND may get lucky one year and get to final 4. SB no. Not enough depth . Loyola - can’t figure out why they don’t seem to get to Mem weekend. I think it’s going to be BC, UNC, Maryland, NU and Cuse. Let’s see if Denver can get there this year .
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

This is an interesting topic. I've touched on it a little bit over the past 2 years in this forum. Yes i believe there is a team on the verge of breaking into perennial contender territory. It happens about once every 10-15 years. BC was that program most recentlyvc. Before that it was UNC and CUSE. Who that next team will be? it's hard to say. Has to be a team that's had prolong success in the top 15. A program with resources and a program in a strong conference. Duke fits the bill. There's no reason why they shouldn't be better than they are. They remind me a bit of UNC. They can beat mediocre teams but can't compete with the big teams or win the important game. This was UNC in the 90s and early 2000s before they finally broke through and haven't looked back since. Whether or not Duke actually does it is another question, but the path for them is there. Notre Dame is another contender. similar to Duke. Very high highs, and extremely low lows. Crippling inconsistency holds ND back.

UNC, BC, NW, CUSE, and MD will remain top. Recruiting at these schools is still at an elite level. Yes there is more talent spread out but more of the the top girls are still going to these schools than ever before. In the 2024 class, 15 of the top 25 girls are going to one of those schools. 13 of 25 in 2023. 17 of 25 in 2022. you see where this is going. With that being said, MD right now is in the weakest position of all the schools in this group. I believe they're just going though a rough patch and will recover. But they must do it quickly because they are no longer the go to school for top players. They can't rely on reputation. Recruits want results on the field. If they don't start winning than they'll keep falling behind and that may open the door for another program to join the ranks.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I can see JMU and Loyola this year. Although JMU lost their best defender.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 pm This is an interesting topic. I've touched on it a little bit over the past 2 years in this forum. Yes i believe there is a team on the verge of breaking into perennial contender territory. It happens about once every 10-15 years. BC was that program most recentlyvc. Before that it was UNC and CUSE. Who that next team will be? it's hard to say. Has to be a team that's had prolong success in the top 15. A program with resources and a program in a strong conference. Duke fits the bill. There's no reason why they shouldn't be better than they are. They remind me a bit of UNC. They can beat mediocre teams but can't compete with the big teams or win the important game. This was UNC in the 90s and early 2000s before they finally broke through and haven't looked back since. Whether or not Duke actually does it is another question, but the path for them is there. Notre Dame is another contender. similar to Duke. Very high highs, and extremely low lows. Crippling inconsistency holds ND back.

UNC, BC, NW, CUSE, and MD will remain top. Recruiting at these schools is still at an elite level. Yes there is more talent spread out but more of the the top girls are still going to these schools than ever before. In the 2024 class, 15 of the top 25 girls are going to one of those schools. 13 of 25 in 2023. 17 of 25 in 2022. you see where this is going. With that being said, MD right now is in the weakest position of all the schools in this group. I believe they're just going though a rough patch and will recover. But they must do it quickly because they are no longer the go to school for top players. They can't rely on reputation. Recruits want results on the field. If they don't start winning than they'll keep falling behind and that may open the door for another program to join the ranks.
the HC is holding ND back, to much talent not to be better
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 pm This is an interesting topic. I've touched on it a little bit over the past 2 years in this forum. Yes i believe there is a team on the verge of breaking into perennial contender territory. It happens about once every 10-15 years. BC was that program most recentlyvc. Before that it was UNC and CUSE. Who that next team will be? it's hard to say.
And to underscore exactly how much of a stranglehold the top schools have on the championship, I'll point out that Syracuse has yet to even win a national championship at all. They've made it to--what? Two title games? It feels like people have been saying "any day now" about Syracuse for the past decade at least.

I really think it'll be a long time before a team other than the usual suspects starts winning national championships. Maybe a team will have a good year and win a single national championship, but repeated, sustained success at the top like that? I think the sport needs to grow a bit more.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 pm This is an interesting topic. I've touched on it a little bit over the past 2 years in this forum. Yes i believe there is a team on the verge of breaking into perennial contender territory. It happens about once every 10-15 years. BC was that program most recentlyvc. Before that it was UNC and CUSE. Who that next team will be? it's hard to say.
And to underscore exactly how much of a stranglehold the top schools have on the championship, I'll point out that Syracuse has yet to even win a national championship at all. They've made it to--what? Two title games? It feels like people have been saying "any day now" about Syracuse for the past decade at least.

I really think it'll be a long time before a team other than the usual suspects starts winning national championships. Maybe a team will have a good year and win a single national championship, but repeated, sustained success at the top like that? I think the sport needs to grow a bit more.
I always forget that CUSE has zero championships..Crazy to think about with all the great players CUSE has had and we think of them as a LAX blue blood. Last year was their best shot until 2025 maybe 2026 when their stellar 2023 and 2024 classes. Not easy in a conference with UNC/BC
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 pm

Actually, they’ve been to 3 title games (2012, 2014, 2021) and 9 final fours. Should’ve made it number 4 in title game appearances last season but they almost always find a way to choke to BC. Cuse vs Northwestern would’ve made a much more entertaining finale than what transpired with NU & BC.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

whyamihere wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:06 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 pm This is an interesting topic. I've touched on it a little bit over the past 2 years in this forum. Yes i believe there is a team on the verge of breaking into perennial contender territory. It happens about once every 10-15 years. BC was that program most recentlyvc. Before that it was UNC and CUSE. Who that next team will be? it's hard to say. Has to be a team that's had prolong success in the top 15. A program with resources and a program in a strong conference. Duke fits the bill. There's no reason why they shouldn't be better than they are. They remind me a bit of UNC. They can beat mediocre teams but can't compete with the big teams or win the important game. This was UNC in the 90s and early 2000s before they finally broke through and haven't looked back since. Whether or not Duke actually does it is another question, but the path for them is there. Notre Dame is another contender. similar to Duke. Very high highs, and extremely low lows. Crippling inconsistency holds ND back.

the HC is holding ND back, to much talent not to be better
HC is holding Duke back as well although I'm not sure they have enough talent across the field or depth at this point.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Loyola is interesting great school in a lax hotbed where lacrosse is THE sport. They might be held back just because of the smaller size of the school (vs Maryland etc..). Also, the location is questionable, near top recruits but also a campus in one of America's most dangerous cities. If my daughter wanted to go there I'd be torn between great academics and the fear of the surrounding crime levels.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WLaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:52 am Loyola is interesting great school in a lax hotbed where lacrosse is THE sport. They might be held back just because of the smaller size of the school (vs Maryland etc..). Also, the location is questionable, near top recruits but also a campus in one of America's most dangerous cities. If my daughter wanted to go there I'd be torn between great academics and the fear of the surrounding crime levels.
Are you aware that Loyola and Hopkins are both located in one of the most affluent areas of the US? Baltimore isn’t all what you saw on The Wire. That wasn’t filmed in Roland Park or Guilford.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

hmmm wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:43 am
WLaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:52 am Loyola is interesting great school in a lax hotbed where lacrosse is THE sport. They might be held back just because of the smaller size of the school (vs Maryland etc..). Also, the location is questionable, near top recruits but also a campus in one of America's most dangerous cities. If my daughter wanted to go there I'd be torn between great academics and the fear of the surrounding crime levels.
Are you aware that Loyola and Hopkins are both located in one of the most affluent areas of the US? Baltimore isn’t all what you saw on The Wire. That wasn’t filmed in Roland Park or Guilford.
Yes I grew up in Baltimore I'm aware there are pockets of affluence. I'm also aware of the risk of leaving these pockets. It's a nice area I was in Remington awhile back for dinner it's been gentrified and I would consider it safe but the rest of the city isn't.
Edited just to say my point isn't don't go there it's just a con on the pro & con list that Loyola has to deal with.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

WLaxdad wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:53 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:43 am
Yes I grew up in Baltimore I'm aware there are pockets of affluence. I'm also aware of the risk of leaving these pockets. It's a nice area I was in Remington awhile back for dinner it's been gentrified and I would consider it safe but the rest of the city isn't. I can't begin to describe what I saw growing up as a poor person in Baltimore, I've worked really hard so my children don't have to witness those things.
As someone who attended Hopkins for undergrad and who has lived in Chicago for almost 25 years and spent five years working in the city's Englewood neighborhood, I have to say that it always kind of cracks me up when people talk about how afraid they are of "America's most dangerous cities."
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

I just don't think there is enough depth in real good quality players yet that will allow a team to crack the usual top 5 or 6 schools that are always mentioned.

To be a real contender, you need 25 plus "really good Players", players that will push the starters to get better every day in practice. If you only have a team with 15 really good players, it is hard to have the intensity you need day in and day out on the practice field and in the weight room to get better and become an elite team.

Probably much more likely to see changes in the teams ranked 15-25.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:37 pm I just don't think there is enough depth in real good quality players yet that will allow a team to crack the usual top 5 or 6 schools that are always mentioned.

To be a real contender, you need 25 plus "really good Players", players that will push the starters to get better every day in practice. If you only have a team with 15 really good players, it is hard to have the intensity you need day in and day out on the practice field and in the weight room to get better and become an elite team.

Probably much more likely to see changes in the teams ranked 15-25.
yeah the outside the top 6 on any given year is a toss up. Those teams are more equipped now to challenge top teams and win an occasional game but they can't do much outside of that. Kinda just have to keep poking around the top 10 and develop players. The Key is consistency. Teams like James Madison and Stony Brook are also close. JMU almost broke through but regressed after their championship run. They had a run of good recruiting classes but like you stated not enough depth. Stony Brook has a defined system the closes the talent gap but they lack high end players.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Not that these schools are going to be top schools any time soon but wondering what peoples thoughts are about D1 schools like Bucknell or Villanova. Seems like they should rank higher than they do. Excellent academics, great campuses close to lax hotbeds, wealthy alumni. Maybe the small student bodies holds them back? I'm relatively new to Women's lax so maybe they were better historically.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”