D3 in PLL

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Low2high22

D3 in PLL

Post by Low2high22 »

I was wondering what players have a chance of getting drafted next year such as a Cross Ferrara. Additionally, what kind of numbers in a season would it take? I assume Boyden who would have been drafted if it weren’t for another year of eligibility
MVPiccoli

Re: D3 in PLL

Post by MVPiccoli »

Tons of talent at the top of the division. Lots of examples other that Cross, hell, a kid from Neumann University is in the league. But the PLL is made up of the best players overall. So, a kid doesn't need to post specific numbers, but exude the skills, IQ, overall make up, roster fit, post-collegiate interest in the game, and a dozen other factors. They also aren't getting the same exposure down here, so there's that to overcome, in the minds of the PLL coaching staffs. They will be passing over a D1 AA caliber player to take a D3 POY caliber player.

Boyden is a great player. His game would fit on a number of PLL rosters. Who knows if he has interest in that meager salary over using his Tufts and (presumably) UVA paperwork to enter the workforce full time.
Unclepeter

Post by Unclepeter »

Watch out for Henry Reed out of Lexington, VA. A three year contributor for the Generals, Reed possesses the natural athleticism to compete with the best in the world and is dangerous in transition. I had the pleasure of watching him several times last year and was surprised that, despite his stature and size, he was able to physically play with some grown men on the field. I even overheard some parents comparing Reed to an excavator with his gb skills, even though he only had 14 last season. Despite playing a more off-ball role in the defense, I expect #51 for the Generals to have a breakout season and enter the PLL draft next May.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Low2high22 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:22 pm I was wondering what players have a chance of getting drafted next year such as a Cross Ferrara. Additionally, what kind of numbers in a season would it take? I assume Boyden who would have been drafted if it weren’t for another year of eligibility
Andrew Cook is probably the guy
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

There are probably a few guys out there in D3 that will play pro indoor. RIT puts out NLL guys every year and they probably make more then the PLL guys. And you get the rare few that can play in both leagues. Not a bunch of American players in D3 that will can play NLL but there are some D3 schools that get kids from up north that are pro level.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Biggest thing with the PLL is that you need to have a rare combination of size, speed, and skill. D3 has a ton of guys that usually only have two of those attributes. The Only guys I can think of in D3 that have all three and have a shot at the PLL are:
- Mike Grace(RIT): Solid size and competed with Canada in the world games. Can push transition and can fit in the PLL as a close guy or an LSM.
- Ryan Young(CNU): Another big guy who comes from a school with a current PLL Defender and a PLL coach. Has a really good stick and has shut down some very good attackman over the past few years.
- Andrew Cook(CNU): Similarly to Young, he will have good PLL connections which helps. Cook has the ability to abuse short sticks due to his speed and size. Has a lethal shot and can dodge from just about anywhere. Scored six goals against RIT while being guarded by Grace for the majority of the game.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:48 pm Biggest thing with the PLL is that you need to have a rare combination of size, speed, and skill. D3 has a ton of guys that usually only have two of those attributes. The Only guys I can think of in D3 that have all three and have a shot at the PLL are:
- Mike Grace(RIT): Solid size and competed with Canada in the world games. Can push transition and can fit in the PLL as a close guy or an LSM.
- Ryan Young(CNU): Another big guy who comes from a school with a current PLL Defender and a PLL coach. Has a really good stick and has shut down some very good attackman over the past few years.
- Andrew Cook(CNU): Similarly to Young, he will have good PLL connections which helps. Cook has the ability to abuse short sticks due to his speed and size. Has a lethal shot and can dodge from just about anywhere. Scored six goals against RIT while being guarded by Grace for the majority of the game.
I hope the current D3 players in the PLL don’t see this. They might quit.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:49 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:48 pm Biggest thing with the PLL is that you need to have a rare combination of size, speed, and skill. D3 has a ton of guys that usually only have two of those attributes. The Only guys I can think of in D3 that have all three and have a shot at the PLL are:
I hope the current D3 players in the PLL don’t see this. They might quit.
Literally every D3 guy who got drafted into the PLL over the last few years fits the mold I was describing lol.
- Max Wayne is giant, fast, and has a great stick.
- Cross Ferrera is 6’2, 200, great speed, and is super skilled.
- Ryan Kennedy is built, fast, and had one of the best sticks I’ve seen in person.
- Kevin Rogers is a big middie, has great speed, and is very skilled.

I keep going on and on…

Obviously some guys are good enough to break the cycle and get a shot at the PLL but it is very rare.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Stephen Berger from WAC was really fun in the MLL. We played them in the 2002 NCAAs and 2004 regular season. In 2002 he was less physical, but had incredible quickness. Jon Fellows was the guy that year, the offense ran through him. By 2004, Berger did what he wanted when he wanted. I remember being tied with them 5-5 heading into the 4th and he just took over. 10-5 loss. Just effortless athleticism.

Gulls have had a dozen or so very successful pro players. My favorite, because he's a hometown Philly guy, is Jake Bergey. Son of the Eagles legend Bill Bergey, who I still see from time to time at Penn Oaks Tennis Club working out when I drop my oldest off for lessons. He played indoor for the Wings and outdoor for a couple MLL teams when that league formed.

Stevenson has put a few out there too.

IDK about Cook. Games I've watched him play against Salisbury, he didn't jump off the screen. Talented as hell, I just don't see the next level stuff you described.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:58 pm
IDK about Cook. Games I've watched him play against Salisbury, he didn't jump off the screen. Talented as hell, I just don't see the next level stuff you described.
Every game they played Salisbury he was locked off for 90% of the game. If he wasn’t locked off he had a pole on him and was being slid to immediately by another pole. The previous year against Salisbury he was dominating his matchups so Berkman had to switch things up. It’s why Berkman is the best in the game.

Check the film from the games against RIT(6 Goals, 1 assist), Stevenson(9 goals, 1 Assist), Gettysburg/Dickinson (4 Goals, 1 assist in each game) and you will see the next level stuff I am talking about.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Watched the RIT highlight video from the Mustang Classic last year. Opinion changed.

I didn't really notice volume of lock off by the Gulls you mentioned real time. Watched some highlights. Sheesh. Wonder if MT is gonna try to draw something new up as they'll probably see it again. Put him on the wing on face-offs, run him out of the box, something.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:58 pm Stephen Berger from WAC was really fun in the MLL. We played them in the 2002 NCAAs and 2004 regular season. In 2002 he was less physical, but had incredible quickness. Jon Fellows was the guy that year, the offense ran through him. By 2004, Berger did what he wanted when he wanted. I remember being tied with them 5-5 heading into the 4th and he just took over. 10-5 loss. Just effortless athleticism.

Gulls have had a dozen or so very successful pro players. My favorite, because he's a hometown Philly guy, is Jake Bergey. Son of the Eagles legend Bill Bergey, who I still see from time to time at Penn Oaks Tennis Club working out when I drop my oldest off for lessons. He played indoor for the Wings and outdoor for a couple MLL teams when that league formed.

Stevenson has put a few out there too.

Cook is a beast...My son had a some reps against him in 2 games last year. He said he was by far the strongest guy he went against. Size, speed, shot, he's got all the tools.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”