UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Finster »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:23 pm Tough loss to Army today.

I think it is conceivable that UNC may lose to UVA, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke. The only quality win so far is Penn.

If they finish 6-8, is Breschi's job secure?

His contract is secure for two more. I think he gets at least one more year to show improvement. Too many losing seasons in a row while continuing to sign high rated recruits won't last forever obviously.

Carolina as an institution tends to give coaches a fair amount of room, provided there are no disciplinary issues.
coda

Post by coda »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:23 pm Tough loss to Army today.

I think it is conceivable that UNC may lose to UVA, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke. The only quality win so far is Penn.

If they finish 6-8, is Breschi's job secure?
I think it is over. They made him fire coordinators last year. The extension was for recruiting purposes. UNC was pretty aggressive recruiting. I think that was for the next coach, if this season went as expected. Another year and recruiting will be difficult
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Double on the assist man for Army’s game winner was text book. Stick check seemed perfect. Have no idea how 24 maintained possession. Super unfortunate but very proud of the fight today. Need to be better between the boxes but awesome day of lacrosse!
NCC

Post by NCC »

Agree. UNC had more intensity than Army first 1/3 or so of game then things evened.
Need to bring it each game to the end.
Seems last week’s upset was necessary to lock UNC in.

Hopefully they can build on this for wins with the ACC
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Let's be clear on one thing. The Admin did not make Joe fire the OC and demote the DC. That was an attempt by Joe to save his job- PERIOD. There was a trustee that wanted no part of Joe keeping his job. He sacrificed others to keep his job and was willing to take a 3 year contract as an act of contrition. He is getting what he deserves this year. It is a shame the players get this by correlation. The players deserve better.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

getitdone wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 am Let's be clear on one thing. The Admin did not make Joe fire the OC and demote the DC. That was an attempt by Joe to save his job- PERIOD. There was a trustee that wanted no part of Joe keeping his job. He sacrificed others to keep his job and was willing to take a 3 year contract as an act of contrition. He is getting what he deserves this year. It is a shame the players get this by correlation. The players deserve better.
While Breschi has his back against the wall, UNC isn’t done yet. The conversation about his and the team’s future could change radically if they upset a few conference rivals even if the odds are against it. They certainly have the personnel to do so. Let’s see how it plays out.
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:45 pm Double on the assist man for Army’s game winner was text book. Stick check seemed perfect. Have no idea how 24 maintained possession. Super unfortunate but very proud of the fight today. Need to be better between the boxes but awesome day of lacrosse!
Ditto, no quit yesterday when they could have easily tanked it down 12-10. If you didn't care who won, it was an awesome day, Black Knights, flyover, big crowd, etc. We were just a few plays short (how many pipes have we hit this yr?!? Duffy taken down by THE NECK just before half/no call, etc).

I get the JB anti-fans but what are we going to do, fire him and bring in who? Want to see those stacked recruiting classes of '24 & '25 blow up? Can him and find out.
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

I know UNC is not happy with how the season is going, and by no means is it over. With ACC matchups coming I would say UNC has nothing to lose because let me be honest this year was a rebuild/reorganize year. When you have a new OC and DC there are growing pains, on top of that you have two freshmen leading the charge at attack. I think UNC is feeling the effects of taking COVID year transfers. They reaped the rewards with guys like Gray and McCarthy a few years back. But now you're starting to see a log jam of having a lot of young players but not enough stops to put them at. Don't get me wrong Mcgovern is a great player, but hypothetically let's say UNC loses the next few games and the writing is on the wall of how the season will end why not start the chemistry of Matan, Duffy, and Dom for next year- Midfield start bumping more of the younger players. Would like to see more Egan on the field and others. Unc i think has a high ceiling if they can mesh together, it seems like the last few years that it has been more of a hero ball-style offense where you have one guy or two who you rely on too much. Like obviously Metz is gone but the best UNC offensively I have watched was his first year there where it was a free-flowing offensive where you Sankey, bitter, and Goldstock and then the midfield had plenty of guys contribute. Teams are gonna focus on the attack unit so the midfield has to open up if opp teams' schemes are gonna be focused on Dom and Duffy
random observer

Post by random observer »

Laxfan016 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm I know UNC is not happy with how the season is going, and by no means is it over. With ACC matchups coming I would say UNC has nothing to lose because let me be honest this year was a rebuild/reorganize year. When you have a new OC and DC there are growing pains, on top of that you have two freshmen leading the charge at attack. I think UNC is feeling the effects of taking COVID year transfers. They reaped the rewards with guys like Gray and McCarthy a few years back. But now you're starting to see a log jam of having a lot of young players but not enough stops to put them at. Don't get me wrong Mcgovern is a great player, but hypothetically let's say UNC loses the next few games and the writing is on the wall of how the season will end why not start the chemistry of Matan, Duffy, and Dom for next year- Midfield start bumping more of the younger players. Would like to see more Egan on the field and others. Unc i think has a high ceiling if they can mesh together, it seems like the last few years that it has been more of a hero ball-style offense where you have one guy or two who you rely on too much. Like obviously Metz is gone but the best UNC offensively I have watched was his first year there where it was a free-flowing offensive where you Sankey, bitter, and Goldstock and then the midfield had plenty of guys contribute. Teams are gonna focus on the attack unit so the midfield has to open up if opp teams' schemes are gonna be focused on Dom and Duffy
I agree with some of this, but not all. Incorporating youth is an important part of growth -- especially if the season is lost. But not just for the sake of it and not at the expense of players who aren't struggling. Taking your most productive offensive player for the past two seasons off the field because he won't be around for your next chance at the postseason is not something any team that wants to build a winning culture should do. You already have Dom and Duffy out there; having a productive player who takes fewer shots, turns the ball over less, and is the best feeder on the team is also arguably far more conducive to developing those two than just putting another young guy out there.

Even when McGovern leaves next year, Matan hasn't done enough with his ample opportunities thus far to warrant being locked into that third spot. Frankly, I'd like to see Matt Wrede get more run and consideration; after all he is also a sophomore and he's produced in his limited opportunities.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Is UNC really in a rebuilding year? Doesn't seem like they should be, they have a bunch of grad school contributors on the team. Lance Tillman, Logan McGovern, Andrew Tyeryar, Alex Breschi, Andrew Geppart. I think a lot of schools would love to have that kind of veteran experience. It's not like this team is just freshmen and sophomores - Colin Krieg is a senior and four year starter in perhaps the most important position on the team. Ty English, Dewey Egan, Paul Barton, Antonio Demarco all juniors (part of a number one recruiting class - they should be entering their prime). Yes, they are getting lots of contribution from freshmen, but calling this a rebuilding year seems like a cop-out.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

On paper, those names should have been better performers by now. It's rebuilding, seems like they missed on some of them or just didn't develop them. Curious to see ACC play.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

I don’t know if UNC is hurting from the grad years. It has just exposed them a little bit and their lack of development. 2 guys in Trippi and Kelly they let walk - and went to Gtown where they blew up and were key contributors on NCAA tournament teams. They could have kept them. Surprising that those two couldn’t do much at Carolina, Trippi especially. He was on 2nd midfield I believe, then went on to have 50 points. Kelly had the same.

Just is a little peculiar they couldn’t do that at UNC. Or weren’t given the development or opportunity.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

They tried hard to keep all three- Trippi, Kelly and Solomon. Some parents would not pay for a UNC Grad year when Gtown had a more appealing business grad option. Trippi was highly respected and was a bit of a gut punch even if understandable. That is not meant to cast shade on Kelly or Solomon at all. All three are simply very good players. Stats are nice but getting stats in Gtown conference is simply easier against some of their teams versus ACC. I feel that the ACC is the best lacrosse conference. Big Ten will howl at that, but that is the fun part of internet debate.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

getitdone wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:02 pm They tried hard to keep all three- Trippi, Kelly and Solomon. Some parents would not pay for a UNC Grad year when Gtown had a more appealing business grad option. Trippi was highly respected and was a bit of a gut punch even if understandable. That is not meant to cast shade on Kelly or Solomon at all. All three are simply very good players. Stats are nice but getting stats in Gtown conference is simply easier against some of their teams versus ACC. I feel that the ACC is the best lacrosse conference. Big Ten will howl at that, but that is the fun part of internet debate.
Fair enough. Makes sense. Still find it interesting they chose to have Trippi play 2nd midfield.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

GU also held the appeal of playing much closer to home for Trippi and Kelly. If only the Heels could've returned the two of them, Solomon and Bowen the last few years might've turned out quite differently. But it is what it is.
Finish Strong
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:15 pm
Laxfan016 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm I know UNC is not happy with how the season is going, and by no means is it over. With ACC matchups coming I would say UNC has nothing to lose because let me be honest this year was a rebuild/reorganize year. When you have a new OC and DC there are growing pains, on top of that you have two freshmen leading the charge at attack. I think UNC is feeling the effects of taking COVID year transfers. They reaped the rewards with guys like Gray and McCarthy a few years back. But now you're starting to see a log jam of having a lot of young players but not enough stops to put them at. Don't get me wrong Mcgovern is a great player, but hypothetically let's say UNC loses the next few games and the writing is on the wall of how the season will end why not start the chemistry of Matan, Duffy, and Dom for next year- Midfield start bumping more of the younger players. Would like to see more Egan on the field and others. Unc i think has a high ceiling if they can mesh together, it seems like the last few years that it has been more of a hero ball-style offense where you have one guy or two who you rely on too much. Like obviously Metz is gone but the best UNC offensively I have watched was his first year there where it was a free-flowing offensive where you Sankey, bitter, and Goldstock and then the midfield had plenty of guys contribute. Teams are gonna focus on the attack unit so the midfield has to open up if opp teams' schemes are gonna be focused on Dom and Duffy
I agree with some of this, but not all. Incorporating youth is an important part of growth -- especially if the season is lost. But not just for the sake of it and not at the expense of players who aren't struggling. Taking your most productive offensive player for the past two seasons off the field because he won't be around for your next chance at the postseason is not something any team that wants to build a winning culture should do. You already have Dom and Duffy out there; having a productive player who takes fewer shots, turns the ball over less, and is the best feeder on the team is also arguably far more conducive to developing those two than just putting another young guy out there.

Even when McGovern leaves next year, Matan hasn't done enough with his ample opportunities thus far to warrant being locked into that third spot. Frankly, I'd like to see Matt Wrede get more run and consideration; after all he is also a sophomore and he's produced in his limited opportunities.
I think that is fair, but people forget how big of a bright spot he was last season. Also, I think people don't realize how going from attack to midfield or playing midfield when you're a natural attackman can have on a player's ability to be "productive". I'm not saying its an excuse or anything because if a coach puts you in that position there must be some rapport or trust that they can adapt and play either at mid or attack. But I always found it interesting that converted attackmen playing midfield in hopes of gaining a match-up don't always pan out as some think. Like Egan and Matan are wing or x-dodgers- not downhill dodgers and shoot down the alley. This is an extreme example but if Chris Gray played midfield would he be as good? it things like that people do not realize how a simple change in position can either positively affect development or cause a lack of development or regression in production. Again im not a HC, DC, or OC at the D1 level lol.. so i might be talking out of my ass lol
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

Matan had a great freshman season but I think the experiment this year at midfield has stunted his development. If the coaches knew at the start of the season that the team was essentially in a rebuilding year, I think it would have been wise to play Matan, Petro and Duffy all together to develop chemistry for the next three years. The bigger head scratcher has been the play/use of Egan. He showed great talent his freshman and sophomore year, and now suddenly in his junior year he no longer sees the field? From all accounts he is good guy/teammate so his lack of playing time comes down to the coaches not thinking he can help the team score points. How does that happen with a top talent who should have flourished this year with the right coaching? I don't have the answers but if you pin the offensive woes this year on the coaches then Egan is Exhibit A and to a lesser extent Matan is Exhibit B....
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I really agree with the above post. Matan is an attackman and he adds a strong physical presence to the attacking part of the unit. Egan, even if you put him in the overrated category coming out of high school, is a better player than many of the folks getting playing time. Egan on bench and Levy getting PT on a midfield unit???? This is not a bash on Levy. I think Levy is appropriate on the EMO as he is a heady player with good vision. Blake Gable got PT as a soph and now does not sniff the field. Very interesting personnel decisions with PT. Yes I dont see practices but there is still room for a player to perform better in games.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Again, I just don't get the obsession with taking away McGovern's PT. Let's take away the team's top scorer these past two years, and its most efficient, non ball/shot dominant attackman (who has the only two goals for the Heels today). Matan is solid but I haven't seen enough yet to lead me to believe that he is a special, AA type player. People are anchoring on the 5 star recruit ranking and just assuming that means the only reason he isn't a star is because he's not starting; that doesn't mean it definitely can't happen at some point, the production just hasn't been off the charts to justify taking away the minutes from a player who has been flat out better on the field. That's not even getting into the fact that McGovern is one of the fiercest competitors in all of D1 lacrosse (if you're not familiar with his story, look it up), and that kind of grit and fire is sorely needed for any team. Shiny new toy syndrome has been one of UNC's worst habits dating back for over a decade, and people never learn.
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Tried really hard to stay positive but I’m so back on the fire Breschi train. What a joke the extension was.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”