UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: UNC 2024

Post by coda »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:19 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 am Duffy & Petro was 2g on 16 shots. vs HP. For the season some absolutely bizarre numbers 47 goals on 181 shots between the two. We haven’t hit April yet? Two attackman w 181 shots. What is the OC trying to accomplish? You cant live this way. These two certainly are part of the plan but others need to get involved. Bad shots are turnovers.
For comparison, Cormier and Millon are 62 goals on 145 shots. I know lot is being said about UVA being positionless on offense but I feel these two may be more attack-like than the others. I picked UVA because both are ACC, they will be playing each other, etc etc

I draw no conclusions or at least post no conclusion.
It seems like Duffy and Petro are in line with the other most shot happy twosomes in the ACC. I did this pretty quickly so I might have some errors, but when it comes to percentage of goals and shots on a team by the two leading shooters, the breakdown is as follows.

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Duke - O'Neil and Williams
Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Notre Dame - Taylor and C. Kavanagh
Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Syracuse - Spallina and Hiltz
Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

I suppose the better thing to do would eliminate goals scored when the benches are cleared, but I didn't want to spend the time to do that.
UNC duo is shooting 25.9%
UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

IF you are in that 35-40% range, keep shooting. You could argue ND duo isnt shooting enough.
if you are at 25%, What the heck are you doing?
UNC duo has 181 shots and 47 goals.
UVA 164 shots an 62 goals
Duke 170 and 66 goals
Cuse 142 shots and 48 goals..
Having the most shots with the least amount of goals, kind of tells you they are shooting too much
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:08 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 am Duffy & Petro was 2g on 16 shots. vs HP. For the season some absolutely bizarre numbers 47 goals on 181 shots between the two. We haven’t hit April yet? Two attackman w 181 shots. What is the OC trying to accomplish? You cant live this way. These two certainly are part of the plan but others need to get involved. Bad shots are turnovers.
For comparison, Cormier and Millon are 62 goals on 145 shots. I know lot is being said about UVA being positionless on offense but I feel these two may be more attack-like than the others. I picked UVA because both are ACC, they will be playing each other, etc etc

It seems like Duffy and Petro are in line with the other most shot happy twosomes in the ACC. I did this pretty quickly so I might have some errors, but when it comes to percentage of goals and shots on a team by the two leading shooters, the breakdown is as follows.

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

I suppose the better thing to do would eliminate goals scored when the benches are cleared, but I didn't want to spend the time to do that.
UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

IF you are in that 35-40% range, keep shooting. You could argue ND duo isnt shooting enough.
Duke 170 and 66 goals
Having the most shots with the least amount of goals, kind of tells you they are shooting too much
hoo should be taking the shots? matan? he's at 25%. mcgovern? he's their feeder, for one, so that's tough to do. he's also got over 60% of his sog being saved, so that fully negates his % advantage. their team is shooting about the same. small sample, but wrede seems to be getting more action. are other guys having trouble getting to their shot? unc needs to shoot better.

unc frosh duo: 47 goals on 181 shots
rob pannell: 47 goals on 179 shots. same number of games. wins the tewaaraton. on the best full year shooting % of his career.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 pm

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

Duke 170 and 66 goals
hoo should be taking the shots? matan? he's at 25%. mcgovern? he's their feeder, for one, so that's tough to do. he's also got over 60% of his sog being saved, so that fully negates his % advantage. their team is shooting about the same. small sample, but wrede seems to be getting more action. are other guys having trouble getting to their shot? unc needs to shoot better.

rob pannell: 47 goals on 179 shots. same number of games. wins the tewaaraton. on the best full year shooting % of his career. the symmetry.
UNC overall poor shooting is a sign of poor offense and ball movement overall, which goes to stop just shooting and move the ball.

No idea what the Pannell part was, perhaps you just felt the need to search the annals of history to find a 25% shooter that won a Tawaarton. If you think 25% shooting is good, than so be it.
molo

Post by molo »

Or maybe it reflects what I said earlier. Maybe Breschi doesn’t get the most out of his talent, but this year’s UNC team is the fifth most talented team in the ACC. The good news is that their FOGO and best attackmen are young and that it remains an extremely attractive destination for top recruits. Gonna be rough the rest of this season, though.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:40 pm Or maybe it reflects what I said earlier. Maybe Breschi doesn’t get the most out of his talent, but this year’s UNC team is the fifth most talented team in the ACC. The good news is that their FOGO and best attackmen are young and that it remains an extremely attractive destination for top recruits. Gonna be rough the rest of this season, though.
This year seems like the waiting period. Get it over and see who the next coach is and move on from there.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The shorter-than-normal extension and forcing Breschi to shake up his staff were half-measures that rarely end well. Feel like that's going to turn out to be a mistake. Those moves scream out that they know what probably needs to happen but out of loyalty to a well-liked and previously successful coach (or whatever the reason), they're hesitant to actually do it. It's better to be a year too early than one too late.

I don't know if UNC would eat the remainder of the extension but if they go 7-7 or 6-8 and miss the tournament for a third straight year (which looks likely to be the case), then the calls for The Change are going to be deafening. It's put the whole program in an uncomfortable, arguably unhealthy position.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:17 pm

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

Duke 170 and 66 goals

rob pannell: 47 goals on 179 shots. same number of games. wins the tewaaraton. on the best full year shooting % of his career. the symmetry.
UNC overall poor shooting is a sign of poor offense and ball movement overall, which goes to stop just shooting and move the ball.

No idea what the Pannell part was, perhaps you just felt the need to search the annals of history to find a 25% shooter that won a Tawaarton. If you think 25% shooting is good, than so be it.
but you have an idea...

and yeah, they have an overall poor shooting offense, as you say. i guess the guys that are taking the most shots can be the players taking the brunt of the flack, but i've asked what are the options? and there's context. these are the guys, supposedly, that the o will build around. they're freshmen. it's not strange they're getting rope. duffy in particular started out like @ .100 thru multiple games and has been 30+% since. and their 1st year playing isn't over yet. unc needs to shoot better for starters.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

I have no doubt that UNC will attempt to fix this problem the way they attempt to fix every problem; by throwing massive amounts of 💰💰💰 at it. Unlike giving exploding offers to 8th graders (before it was outlawed because of them), NIL has been good for UNC lax recruiting, not that they needed it.
Last edited by Laxter on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I appreciate the comparisons w Acc attacks etc. But, this program is not anywhere near : Duke, ND or Va. Obviously, Su has shown some improvement. NC is not there right now. And, they are winning faceoffs. If you think it’s ok for 2 Fresh to shoot close to 200 shots by 3/23 you are delusional. Then you comparing attacks w rings , Tewey winners. ??? They caught Penn w dead legs.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 pm The shorter-than-normal extension and forcing Breschi to shake up his staff were half-measures that rarely end well. Feel like that's going to turn out to be a mistake. Those moves scream out that they know what probably needs to happen but out of loyalty to a well-liked and previously successful coach (or whatever the reason), they're hesitant to actually do it. It's better to be a year too early than one too late.

I don't know if UNC would eat the remainder of the extension but if they go 7-7 or 6-8 and miss the tournament for a third straight year (which looks likely to be the case), then the calls for The Change are going to be deafening. It's put the whole program in an uncomfortable, arguably unhealthy position.
a couple nits, i wouldn't say it was a shorter than normal extension (it's both a re-up and in 2016, after they won a natty, he got a 3 year contract. tho differing other circumstances.).
but with many other unc coaches getting 5 last year and he gets 3, he absolutely knows he's on the hot seat. it's imposssible to know whether he took that opportunity to make urgent changes or he was told by someone who could that he needs to.

from there, my observation is that ad's are reluctant to eat even one year in non-revenue, let alone 2 and one year after a re-up. gun to my head, he has until next year, all things considered. recruiting has actually elevated maybe, it hasn't been hurt. other teams are taking bigger grad losses. that changes of course if the calls for the change fund it.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 pm I appreciate the comparisons w Acc attacks etc. But, this program is not anywhere near : Duke, ND or Va. Obviously, Su has shown some improvement. NC is not there right now. And, they are winning faceoffs. If you think it’s ok for 2 Fresh to shoot close to 200 shots by 3/23 you are delusional. Then you comparing attacks w rings , Tewey winners. ??? They caught Penn w dead legs.
This is kind of the thought process I was looking for. The issue may not be their shooting so much as the position/situation they are in when they shoot. Kind of a chicken or egg situation. I have zero desire to qualify their shots (forced, open, late in shot clock, in a double, etc.)

Bottom line as always is W-L. Make them a one loss team, we are not discussing this stat.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:04 pm

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

Duke 170 and 66 goals

but you have an idea...

and yeah, they have an overall poor shooting offense, as you say. i guess the guys that are taking the most shots can be the players taking the brunt of the flack, but i've asked what are the options? and there's context. these are the guys, supposedly, that the o will build around. they're freshmen. it's not strange they're getting rope. duffy in particular started out like @ .100 thru multiple games and has been 30+% since. and their 1st year playing isn't over yet. unc needs to shoot better for starters.
I haven’t watched every UNC game, but caught a few. The ball movement isn’t optimal. We can come up with multiple reasons, but they are not getting a lot of quality shots as an offense. Relying on freshmen as your primary balls handlers is a big part of why the offense is so inefficient. It’s not all on them, but 25% shooting and assist/turnover ratio of 1 is just inefficient offense. I totally understand the freshmen and this isn’t a surprise, but it doesn’t change the facts. Unfortunately, it’s not going to get easier and there isn’t any quick fix. Coaches just have to get Duffy and Petro to play within themselves and find ways to take some of the burden off of them.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:04 pm

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

UVA- 37.8%
Duke- 38.8%
Cuse- 33.8%
ND- 46.3%

Duke 170 and 66 goals

but you have an idea...

I haven’t watched every UNC game, but caught a few. The ball movement isn’t optimal. We can come up with multiple reasons, but they are not getting a lot of quality shots as an offense. Relying on freshmen as your primary balls handlers is a big part of why the offense is so inefficient. It’s not all on them, but 25% shooting and assist/turnover ratio of 1 is just inefficient offense. I totally understand the freshmen and this isn’t a surprise, but it doesn’t change the facts. Unfortunately, it’s not going to get easier and there isn’t any quick fix. Coaches just have to get Duffy and Petro to play within themselves and find ways to take some of the burden off of them.
not getting enough quality shots is probably the biggest/a big factor in poor shooting.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Gets back to my original point. Not getting enough quality shots is on the OC. What are we doing? I’m not knocking Petro or Murphy but what is the OC trying to accomplish. You are going give the keys to two fresh? Bring them along , and have the older guys lead. And things will grow. From the get go, it’s let’s stand & watch these guys. It’s not the way this should have been handled. As an example, bad loss vs HP… where they went 2-16.
coda

Post by coda »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:38 pm Gets back to my original point. Not getting enough quality shots is on the OC. What are we doing? I’m not knocking Petro or Murphy but what is the OC trying to accomplish. You are going give the keys to two fresh? Bring them along , and have the older guys lead. And things will grow. From the get go, it’s let’s stand & watch these guys. It’s not the way this should have been handled. As an example, bad loss vs HP… where they went 2-16.
Its just a poor bet. It one thing to put a talented freshman in a good offense and give him a limited role that he can flourish and grow in. It quite another to ask him to be the engine of the offense. At a minimum it will be highly volatile.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

UNC, like a lot of teams(Hobart for one), needs more "makers" not more shooters ;)
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

coda wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:38 pm Gets back to my original point. Not getting enough quality shots is on the OC. What are we doing? I’m not knocking Petro or Murphy but what is the OC trying to accomplish. You are going give the keys to two fresh? Bring them along , and have the older guys lead. And things will grow. From the get go, it’s let’s stand & watch these guys. It’s not the way this should have been handled. As an example, bad loss vs HP… where they went 2-16.
Its just a poor bet. It one thing to put a talented freshman in a good offense and give him a limited role that he can flourish and grow in. It quite another to ask him to be the engine of the offense. At a minimum it will be highly volatile.
Agreed. If Duffy is drawing the top pole it's the perfect situation for McGovern to do damage. (I'd like to see him take shots per game and Duffy and Petro fewer.) The midfield should feast as well if opposing defenses are focused on stopping 8 and 77 but unfortunately that group hasn't demonstrated itself to be a consistent threat.
Finish Strong
coda

Post by coda »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm
coda wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am
Agreed. If Duffy is drawing the top pole it's the perfect situation for McGovern to do damage. (I'd like to see him take shots per game and Duffy and Petro fewer.) The midfield should feast as well if opposing defenses are focused on stopping 8 and 77 but unfortunately that group hasn't demonstrated itself to be a consistent threat.
For a few years now I have said get UNC to play in the 6 v 6 and you will win.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Looking at the 2024 bracketology topic on this web site obviously UNC is nowhere to be found on any current "prediction."

Facing Army Saturday, with Army coming off its first loss and seeking to get back on track is going to be a tough one for UNC.

After losing to Hopkins by four at home UNC followed with a six-goal loss at home to Princeton.
Finster

Post by Finster »

gunnerz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm Looking at the 2024 bracketology topic on this web site obviously UNC is nowhere to be found on any current "prediction."

Facing Army Saturday, with Army coming off its first loss and seeking to get back on track is going to be a tough one for UNC.

After losing to Hopkins by four at home UNC followed with a six-goal loss at home to Princeton.

This has been a strange year; I can see UNC surprising. Not favored, but it certainly wouldn’t shock me to see them come out on top.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”