UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

UNC 2024

Post by Finster »

This kid Owen Duffy is the real deal. Impact player as a freshman. His skill really stood out last night at the All American North South game.
random observer

Re: UNC 2024

Post by random observer »

Finster wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:25 pm This kid Owen Duffy is the real deal. Impact player as a freshman. His skill really stood out last night at the All American North South game.
If McCabe's last name wasn't MIllon, Duffy would be the #1 rated recruit in the country. Granted Millon is very good, but Duffy is at least his equal, and almost a year younger.
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:39 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:25 pm This kid Owen Duffy is the real deal. Impact player as a freshman. His skill really stood out last night at the All American North South game.
If McCabe's last name wasn't MIllon, Duffy would be the #1 rated recruit in the country. Granted Millon is very good, but Duffy is at least his equal, and almost a year younger.

True. Duffy has great athleticism as well as field awareness. Breschi has a real one with him.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Here's hoping Duffy and Pietramala can make a big difference as freshmen. It will be interesting to see how the lineups shake out with McGovern, Matan, Egan, and Tillman all returning. It seems like a no-brainer to move Tillman back to midfield. The team desperately needs competent midfielders that are capable of scoring 20+ points in a season, and he did a good job there in 2022.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I think starting Attack will be Duffy, McGovern and Mattan. Duffy is the QB- I agree that he is better than Millon. McGovern feeds off him as he is not a true X attackman, but a dam fine player none the less and Mattan is the bruiser and is more suited for Attack
Midfield. Egan, Tillman, English 2nd DeMarco Pietramala and Whaling or Duebner
D- Barton and 2 wild cards with Petro coming in and looking at the D with a clean slate. Maybe Pierce and Gable but who knows
LSM Schwarz Prohaska
SSDM Still pretty loaded here even with Maher graduating Be interesting to see if Alex Breschi gets more PT this year than last as newcomers tapped into his PT pretty substantially
Goalie Its Kriegs until he loses it. His back injury last year hurt his performance

There are going to be two fun points to watch. Who is going to be on EMO? Where does JB go during practices. He is a big control guy and I bet he is down on the O side often. This leaves Petro to run the D and KU to start probing for a new job. This is going to be fun to watch
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Noticed both Geppert and Wellford mentioned in the press release about Men's Lacrosse Summer Internships. I'm guessing this means they will be returning to play in 2024.

I believe Loughead will be the 3rd starter at close defense.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

random observer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:39 pm
Agreed. Owen Duffy did it all without nepotism... or reclassing.

Line Up predictions:
A- Duffy, McGovern, and Matan
M1- Petro, Egan and Tillman
M2- Levy, Demarco, Jordan (VMI Transfer)
SSDM/2way- English, Breschi, and Hagerup
FO- Tyrer, 5* Frosh Wambach
LSM- Schwarz and Thomann (frosh.. go watch his Sr. highlight tape)
D- Barton, Geppert (heard he's returning, prior to internship post), and Nick Morgan (Hampden Sydney Transfer)
G- Krieg
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

English has been unreal in the junior box league this summer,
no reason not to run him on offense.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:42 am English has been unreal in the junior box league this summer,
no reason not to run him on offense.
I do not disagree. I put SSDM/2way for a reason.

He came out of high school highly ranked but didn't produce on offense in 2022. In 2023 he was very, very good as a 2way... Breschi said he provides a spark in the middle of the field. Losing a dmid like Maher, UNC is probably going to want to keep a "spark" there, especially after a year of experience at the position.

Similar to Evan Zinn, could he have played offense at UVA? Absolutely. But, he provided a spark at DM/2way.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Dan Striano looks like a solid addition to the SSDM ranks. He led Bucknell this spring with 60 ground balls. With Breschi, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, and Striano I think you can afford to give English a lot more runs on offense.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:24 pm Dan Striano looks like a solid addition to the SSDM ranks. He led Bucknell this spring with 60 ground balls. With Breschi, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, and Striano I think you can afford to give English a lot more runs on offense.
Two-way midfield= playing BOTH offense and defense, while also getting wing runs. I am not saying that he won't be on the offense.

Did you know he was third on the team in groundballs and CT's? 10 points, mainly in transition. Why take a player that dynamic from a position he thrives in?

Striano hasn't appeared on any transfer listing so I wasn't aware of him. Good pick-up. Hoping he can make the jump and compete with ACC caliber athletes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:24 pm Dan Striano looks like a solid addition to the SSDM ranks. He led Bucknell this spring with 60 ground balls. With Breschi, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, and Striano

I think you can afford to give English a lot more runs on offense.
That’s my take,

English just has too much talent.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

[/quote]

[/quote]

PREACH.

Had a friend with a son playing at McDonough. Went to a couple games. Millon's great, but part of that is the extra year of development and the world class exposure to the game he got from one of the historically great players. I actually liked the younger brother's game more. Moves naturally, didn't overly possess the ball in the games I witnessed. Say what you want about the father as a person, I don't know him. But the guy is as detailed and hardworking as they come. Overzealous in every way.

Duffy's highlights are SMOOTH.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:10 pm

[/quote]

PREACH.

Had a friend with a son playing at McDonough. Went to a couple games. Millon's great, but part of that is the extra year of development and the world class exposure to the game he got from one of the historically great players. I actually liked the younger brother's game more. Moves naturally, didn't overly possess the ball in the games I witnessed. Say what you want about the father as a person, I don't know him. But the guy is as detailed and hardworking as they come. Overzealous in every way.

[/quote]

A lot of haters out there, who apparently, don't like the Millons. Fine to be happier with Duffy or think he's better, but some of the posts sighting nepotism and explaining away his talent are over the top. Millon is certainly a top 5 player, whatever he did to get there.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Your best 2 way middie may (easily?) be Jordan. He certainly has the experience, technique and attitude.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:24 pm Dan Striano looks like a solid addition to the SSDM ranks. He led Bucknell this spring with 60 ground balls. With Breschi, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, and Striano I think you can afford to give English a lot more runs on offense.

Don’t sleep on Striano great pick up for the heels
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

blue angels wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:37 pm [quote=MVPiccoli post_id=484633 time=<a href="tel:1690917027">1690917027</a> user_id=3080]

[/quote]

PREACH.

[/quote]

A lot of haters out there, who apparently, don't like the Millons. Fine to be happier with Duffy or think he's better, but some of the posts sighting nepotism and explaining away his talent are over the top. Millon is certainly a top 5 player, whatever he did to get there.
[/quote]

For sure. Def not a Millon hater here. Learned a ton from his VHS tapes back in the day. Respect his game and the work he put in to develop it. Same with his boys, they can ball.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:55 pm Noticed both Geppert and Wellford mentioned in the press release about Men's Lacrosse Summer Internships. I'm guessing this means they will be returning to play in 2024.

I believe Loughead will be the 3rd starter at close defense.
Nice internship for Barton. Sixth Street (TPG) has a lower hire rate than most ivies in admissions.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

His Dad is a member at a top 5 (in the US) very blue blood west coast golf club. Not saying that is what facilitated the internship but common things being common…
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:21 pm His Dad is a member at a top 5 (in the US) very blue blood west coast golf club. Not saying that is what facilitated the internship but common things being common…
Cmon man, that might be how the east coast operates but that’s not how things on the west coast work. And it’s really unfair to a very smart kid. Not to mention the fact that some golf club membership is not remotely the coolest thing about his dad

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”