UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:11 pm Breschi wasting their last time out off the faceoff with ~1:50 left was horrible. Would’ve saved possession with about :27 left when Duffy got stripped.

I know folks feel like Joe is safe. I don’t. Bubba (AD) knows what’s up.

I’m not certain how you keep D Pietremala as a starter. Joe puts in this kid Deubner today, a senior, as a desperation move?, and he immediately cans 2 of 3. I don’t know anything about him other than he graduated from Hun which produces great college players. So, where has he been for four years?

The positives for UNC are you have two fantastic freshmen in Duffy and Wambach. I’d love to build a team around those two.

6-8 soon???
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:11 pm Breschi wasting their last time out off the faceoff with ~1:50 left was horrible. Would’ve saved possession with about :27 left when Duffy got stripped.

I’m not certain how you keep D Pietremala as a starter. Joe puts in this kid Deubner today, a senior, as a desperation move?, and he immediately cans 2 of 3. I don’t know anything about him other than he graduated from Hun which produces great college players. So, where has he been for four years?

The positives for UNC are you have two fantastic freshmen in Duffy and Wambach. I’d love to build a team around those two.

6-8 soon???
I just cannot see UNC and Bubba firing Breshci after offering the extension last year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

6-8 soon???
Bubba literally decided he was safe when he handed him a 3 year extension when he was out of a contract.

It’s bizarre how people are trying to do the Breschi thing this year when they didn’t do it last year. The dude was out of a contract last year. Like, they could have let him go and paid him no money. Moved on for free. They chose to bring him back.

He’s there for at least one more year.
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:26 pm Is Paul Barton hurt?
Done for the season, fractured foot, in a boot
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:00 pm Couple of plays away from wins over Army and Syracuse. Damn it.
Yup, and add the HP game to make it a hat trick of 1 goal losses.

Box reads that FOs were 12-11 Cuse today but I'll be damned if it seemed that way.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:25 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:29 pm Cuse likely wins this game cause let’s face it, UNC is not good. But it’s such classic cuse to be hotdogging it and throwing no angle btbs into the side of the net up only 4 in the 3rd.
Yep. Two terrible games in row for SU.

Strange team. I truly feel like Cuse could beat any team in the country. I also feel there is no chance they’ll play two excellent games in a row.
That pretty much sums up this Syracuse team
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

thegman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:00 pm Couple of plays away from wins over Army and Syracuse. Damn it.
Yup, and add the HP game to make it a hat trick of 1 goal losses.

Box reads that FOs were 12-11 Cuse today but I'll be damned if it seemed that way.
Wombach and Duffy are gonna be a problem for 3 years. If Breschi can't figure it out next year UNC has to make a move.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

With ND, Duke, and UVA having to heavily remake their rosters next year and them being super young, they should be a tournament team. If not, you could make the move with Breschi only having one year on his contract, and frankly you should make the move at that point as he’d be a lame duck

But also, he was a lame duck last year and they let him coach and then gave him an in-between 3 year extension where he kept his job by sacrificing his assistants and was basically guaranteed to be back in the exact same spot with 1 bad season.

They should have moved on from last year, it was clear they’d lost confidence. But I don’t think they can bring themselves to fire him. My guess is if there isn’t at least a Quarterfinal run by 2026, he will be gone. He’s got a crazy leash though.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:50 pm

6-8 soon???
Bubba literally decided he was safe when he handed him a 3 year extension when he was out of a contract.

It’s bizarre how people are trying to do the Breschi thing this year when they didn’t do it last year. The dude was out of a contract last year. Like, they could have let him go and paid him no money. Moved on for free. They chose to bring him back.

He’s there for at least one more year.

You might be correct, but man, the Heels really aren’t performing this year. They have one good win, ONE!!, and sit 6-6. Their other five wins?

Mercer
Fairfield
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Wagner

And some of those are having really bad years.

What would Carolina’s record look like if they played a schedule like Maryland’s? 1-11? They look set to finish this year like last year with a bunch of losses in a row.

2020 looked so promising. It’s obviously a shame the season was canceled.

Oh well.

I’m sure now that I’ve beat this drum too much, the Heels will finish their season by beating ND and Duke because of course…

Joe should never have allowed this multi year decline to occur. It’s not as if he’s new to a floundering program. He’s the greatest guy in the universe. But man. No excuses.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:25 pm With ND, Duke, and UVA having to heavily remake their rosters next year and them being super young, they should be a tournament team. If not, you could make the move with Breschi only having one year on his contract, and frankly you should make the move at that point as he’d be a lame duck

But also, he was a lame duck last year and they let him coach and then gave him an in-between 3 year extension where he kept his job by sacrificing his assistants and was basically guaranteed to be back in the exact same spot with 1 bad season.

They should have moved on from last year, it was clear they’d lost confidence. But I don’t think they can bring themselves to fire him. My guess is if there isn’t at least a Quarterfinal run by 2026, he will be gone. He’s got a crazy leash though.
uva loses 3 of their best guys and a couple others, but they lost a lot more last year. this was the year they heavily remade their roster.

breschi was not a lame duck last year, nor is he this year. i doubt anyone on here knows how the changeover in assistants came about. lacrosse coaches just don't see the same turnover from the top down as the revenue sports in win-now mode. and it's not like unc hasn't seen some relatively recent success.

my two cents, having recruiting stay afloat is a good harbinger for breschi, as the opposite would've been a bad data point. it's also possible acc play/competitiveness in those games will matter, as last year they had difficulty doing that and could be pointed to as more progress.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Of course they’re bad this year. Breschi clearly scheduled like a guy trying to just get to above .500, which is silly in general, because their RPI was in the high 20s before ACC play started and they have probably torpedoed their hopes of making the tournament even if they win one or both of their last two games here. Just a horrific scheduling job this year.

But they had the chance to get out of this last year and chose not to. He brought in an entirely new coaching staff and has a lot of freshmen as contributors. That doesn’t indicate a guy likely to get axed.

Now if next year - when he’ll be a lame duck going into 2026 without a new deal - has similar results or if they miss the tournament again…..then yeah, worth picking the discussion up again.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:08 am
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:25 pm With ND, Duke, and UVA having to heavily remake their rosters next year and them being super young, they should be a tournament team. If not, you could make the move with Breschi only having one year on his contract, and frankly you should make the move at that point as he’d be a lame duck

uva loses 3 of their best guys and a couple others, but they lost a lot more last year. this was the year they heavily remade their roster.

breschi was not a lame duck last year, nor is he this year. i doubt anyone on here knows how the changeover in assistants came about. lacrosse coaches just don't see the same turnover from the top down as the revenue sports in win-now mode. and it's not like unc hasn't seen some relatively recent success.

my two cents, having recruiting stay afloat is a good harbinger for breschi, as the opposite would've been a bad data point. it's also possible acc play/competitiveness in those games will matter, as last year they had difficulty doing that and could be pointed to as more progress.
UVA loses their #1 and #2 leading scorers, their second highest scoring midfielder, and their #1 close defender. We could be technical about “re-making” the roster but that’s at minimum 3 of their 5 best players.

As for Breschi, he was literally a lame duck last year. He was coaching on a contract that expired when the season was over. That’s what it means. No, he’s not a lame duck this year, I agree, I never said that. He then got a 3 year extension, and soon after fired his offensive coordinator and moved his defensive coordinator to warm up the goalie and brought in someone he has a very strong personal connection with to be the defensive coordinator. You can kind of put two and two together there but if you want to say a guy who rarely makes staff changes ever decided the year he was out of a contract to totally re-make his staff of his own volition, okay fair enough.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:21 am

UVA loses their #1 and #2 leading scorers, their second highest scoring midfielder, and their #1 close defender. We could be technical about “re-making” the roster but that’s at minimum 3 of their 5 best players.

As for Breschi, he was literally a lame duck last year. He was coaching on a contract that expired when the season was over. That’s what it means. No, he’s not a lame duck this year, I agree, I never said that. He then got a 3 year extension, and soon after fired his offensive coordinator and moved his defensive coordinator to warm up the goalie and brought in someone he has a very strong personal connection with to be the defensive coordinator. You can kind of put two and two together there but if you want to say a guy who rarely makes staff changes ever decided the year he was out of a contract to totally re-make his staff of his own volition, okay fair enough.
boyden may be back. uva lost dickson, mcconvey, saustad, sallade and lasalla last year. all of them all-americans. and bunch of other starters and play-time guys. 18 from the roster in all.

unc does their non-revenue sports in bunches, largely on the same timelines for re-up at the same time. they very rarely give extensions before the contract expires, unlike other places. including their women's soccer coach who has like 80 championships. levy got one (got her contract matching timeline to other coaches) not too long ago, a young wrestling coach got one after a short-for-unc opening contract, but again, they're rare there. you're reading something into it that isn't there.

as i said and you agree it seems, no one knows the circumstances of how the coach turnover came about.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:36 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:21 am

boyden may be back. uva lost dickson, mcconvey, saustad, sallade and lasalla last year. all of them all-americans. and bunch of other starters and play-time guys. 18 from the roster in all.

unc does their non-revenue sports in bunches, largely on the same timelines. they very rarely give extensions before the contract expires, unlike other places. including their women's soccer coach who has like 80 championships. levy got one (got her contract matching timeline to other coaches) not too long ago, a young wrestling coach got one after a short-for-unc opening contract, but again, they're rare there. you're reading something into it that isn't there.

as i said and you agree it seems, no one knows the circumstances of how the coach turnover came about.
and none of those guys are Shellenberger. You can lose McConvey, who isn’t really a dodger, and even Dickson, though that one stung a lot, as long as you still have Shellenberger. And Cormier as well to score. That’s 1/3rd of the team’s goals and points right there. Losing Saustad was a lot easier when you still had Kastner there. Won’t have Kastner next year. But it’ll be smooth sailing replacing Shelly I’m sure.

Anyhow, sure, no one asked Breschi and asked why after almost a decade and with him needing a new contract he decided to fire Metz. But generally when coaches need new contracts and they bring in new assistants, that portends to one thing. As does them getting shorter contract extensions than they did the previous time. But you could choose to believe they decided to give him a 3 year contract and he just fired him for no reason. That’s possible.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i agree shellenberger has been an excellent player and will be tough to replace, on a lot of levels. mcconvey was the middie of the year. not just you, but a bunch of folks have said this is where they lose a lot and will "need to remake the roster". that was last year. but... i guess we'll see how it goes.

didn't comment on the 3 year new contract vs 5. once again, no one knows what the circumstances are for asst turnover. any guesses are appropriate. stating it as a fact that it went a certain way isn't the same. him getting a 3 year when the norm is 5 certainly indicates that by year 3 they best be on a good track or already there. maybe sooner.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

UNC on a four game losing streak, losing 3 games all by one goal. They now finish playing Number 1 ND and Number 2 Duke. They were down 10-4 last week against Syracuse and could have folded but went on a five goal streak bur still lost 10-9.
Here is hoping for a competitive finish!
thegman

Post by thegman »

Laxfan23 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am UNC on a four game losing streak, losing 3 games all by one goal. They now finish playing Number 1 ND and Number 2 Duke. They were down 10-4 last week against Syracuse and could have folded but went on a five goal streak bur still lost 10-9.
Here is hoping for a competitive finish!
Ditto, hoping there is some non-Irish luck to be found in S. Bend but not optimistic unless mids have some significant contributions. At this point, I'm hoping coaches shake those 1-2 mid lines up, what's the downside? Sev guys lost on the depth chart might help. It would just totally suck to end the season on the wrong end of the last 6 games
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Losing Demarco really hurt the midfield as he was one of the better dodgers. Anyone know what happened to him?

6 straight losses would be a depressing way to end the season. Arguably worse than last year considering this team looks better on paper.
JustR3Lax

Post by JustR3Lax »

As always with the ACC, the star power will be on display for both sides. Intriguing match ups all over the board. Should be a real fun game. One game season mentality, there is no tomorrow, so it’s gotta be today.

Poise, patience, possession.

All Heels All Day.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Duffy not dressed and wearing a big knee brace on the sideline. Guess he's done for the year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”