Athletes Unlimited Season 3

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Athletes Unlimited Season 3

Post by Kleizaster »

We all agree CN is a phenomenal player. Even those who aren't her biggest fans. But she's a bit of a special case when it comes to her overall game which is the root of these intense discussions.

She's a player who is phenomenal and historic and the best to ever do it when it comes to one aspect of her game, her shot. and pretty average in every other areas compared to her near-level peers. This causes a bit of cognitive dissonance as people don't know how to go about talking about her. You see her prolific scoring bursts and pipe cracking shots and you're left in awe yet at the same time you're struggling to understand why she can't pass open a teammate. You know there is something special there but at times you're just left underwhelmed especially when you watch players like McCool and Apuzzo and Ohlmiller have complete control and understanding of the game at such deep levels. CN hasn't made strides to improve in that regard. That's where the criticism comes. She wants to rely on her special shot to overwhelm and will the ball into the net. And when that doesn't work she becomes ineffective and cannot impact the game in ways the other top players can.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Actually, I have a bone to pick with the statisticians about turnovers. And this point is not intended to be North specific. I made this point last year or maybe the year before, but I don’t think they audit the games to fine-tune the points. Maybe they did that for the last game last year because the points were so close?

Now it’s not really fair to pick on the statisticians because keeping stats on the fly is really really tough.

As to turnovers, my sense is that they were only roughly accurate, at best. It seemed that lots of times they didn’t give a player a turnover when they should have.

Beyond that, a quibble I have always had with the turnover stat is that I think it often times should be “divided” between two players. If player A throws a pass to player B and it goes 10 feet over her head and out of bounds, then player A should get 100% of the turnover. But if the ball bounces and player B gets a stick on it and maybe could have kept it in bounds, then I think the turnover should be shared. There are lots of other examples where turnover “blame” probably should be shared.

I think, Can, you would agree that the rules and manner of play in this league are not conducive to North’s style of play. There is no three seconds and shooting space, although it seemed to me that towards the end of the year they came up with this “walled off” rule that is akin to shooting space. I think they had that last year but it didn’t seem they used it in the early part of the season this year. Not sure about that.

Also, defenders are allowed to be a lot more physical in this league than college or international. Add in better quality defenders and better goalies. As many have noted, all of these make it tougher on all attackers, not just North. A big part of her game in college was getting to the 8m line. Due to the way the AU game is played, she had comparatively few 8m opportunities in this league.

I don’t have any real quibble with your defense of her low shooting percentage. I agree. It is down overall in the league due to the above factors.

I only watched the ESPN network games, not any of the + games so I didn’t see all of CN’s games. My criticism is that she takes too many low percentage shots. And she holds the ball too long in a game where there is only a 60 second shot clock. She almost always looks to shoot first not pass. That’s a big no-no in my book. I think people generally would agree with that. Seven assists with the amount of time she had the ball seems like a low number to me.

Now, on the other hand, she has a very hard and accurate shot. She is dogged about trying to bob and weave, twist and turn, start and stop, etc. to find an opening. The problem is that as she is doing that, the shot clock is winding down.

I would like to see her shoot less, take better percentage shots, feed more, and redefend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:42 pm Edit. Just looked at the stats. Assuming they are complete (don’t know), then North finished 17th in total points. I’m not a big fan of this point system, but apparently it is intended to value the total player. Is North the 17th best player in the league? I would put her higher than that. Arguably top 10.
I would suggest that this indicates she's the same player as she was in college. She accumulates her points from essentially one phase of the game. The complete players accumulate them all over the field in many different ways making them more valuable players, which has always been the argument about the "great one".
Top ten is arguable.
njbill

Post by njbill »

One of my little “tests” for a great player is: do I want them on the field when the ball is on the ground. In this league, probably Lizzie Colson comes first to mind in that regard. Apuzzo, McCool are two others. I’m sure there are more.

And this leads me to another quibble I have about ground ball stats. You only get a ground ball stat if there is a change of possession. I think you should get a ground ball stat if the ball is on the ground and is being contested, whether the team is on offense or defense. It is just as important to retain possession as it is to gain possession.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:01 pm We all agree CN is a phenomenal player. Even those who aren't her biggest fans. But she's a bit of a special case when it comes to her overall game which is the root of these intense discussions.

She's a player who is phenomenal and historic and the best to ever do it when it comes to one aspect of her game, her shot. and pretty average in every other areas compared to her near-level peers. This causes a bit of cognitive dissonance as people don't know how to go about talking about her. You see her prolific scoring bursts and pipe cracking shots and you're left in awe yet at the same time you're struggling to understand why she can't pass open a teammate. You know there is something special there but at times you're just left underwhelmed especially when you watch players like McCool and Apuzzo and Ohlmiller have complete control and understanding of the game at such deep levels. CN hasn't made strides to improve in that regard. That's where the criticism comes. She wants to rely on her special shot to overwhelm and will the ball into the net. And when that doesn't work she becomes ineffective and cannot impact the game in ways the other top players can.
^^Perfectly said
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:44 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:34 pm Much better shooting the third when she didn’t force everything
You are good to acknowledge that. I think it is fair to say that North's performance in the third quarter today was dominant. She racked up 4 goals (5 points) in a 7-minute span on 4-for-4 shooting. She was very physical and absorbed several tough checks. That run turned the game around for her team. I am sincerely not trying to poke the bear, but would you agree with that assessment?
Look I agree with the other posters. You’re irrational when it comes to talking about CN. Once again. My original post, there is zip wrong with that post. And your comment about Sept 1 is childish and I was not going to respond to any of your posts because I see it pointless. But I drank a lot today so here you go.

To answer your question in two parts 1. Yes she dominated the third quarter because she was restrained. She chose her attack points wisely. But you can’t cherry pick what quarters she dominates.
2. She 100 % hurt her team in the first half shooting everytime she had the ball in her stick for a half a second. She was 2 for 11 and the 9 she missed was rushed and forced and many lost possession in a sport that possession is key. To go further. What’s the difference between a player at any level getting stick checked and losing the ball running past the restraining line or an offensive player running through three people and taking an 8 meter shot that the goalie clearly sees and goes right into her stick. The answer is Nothing. They are both turnovers. One player just gets a demerit and the other is hailed as a gamer.

Now. You are talking about two games out of 12 where she was dominating. Once again. I’m surprised that she isn’t dominating in this league like other players. But, it has been well said on these posts why she isn’t. And shooting space is probably the top reason. They are able to defend differently in the AU.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

njbill wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:14 pm Actually, I have a bone to pick with the statisticians about turnovers. And this point is not intended to be North specific. I made this point last year or maybe the year before, but I don’t think they audit the games to fine-tune the points. Maybe they did that for the last game last year because the points were so close?

Now it’s not really fair to pick on the statisticians because keeping stats on the fly is really really tough.

As to turnovers, my sense is that they were only roughly accurate, at best. It seemed that lots of times they didn’t give a player a turnover when they should have.

Beyond that, a quibble I have always had with the turnover stat is that I think it often times should be “divided” between two players. If player A throws a pass to player B and it goes 10 feet over her head and out of bounds, then player A should get 100% of the turnover. But if the ball bounces and player B gets a stick on it and maybe could have kept it in bounds, then I think the turnover should be shared. There are lots of other examples where turnover “blame” probably should be shared.

I think, Can, you would agree that the rules and manner of play in this league are not conducive to North’s style of play. There is no three seconds and shooting space, although it seemed to me that towards the end of the year they came up with this “walled off” rule that is akin to shooting space. I think they had that last year but it didn’t seem they used it in the early part of the season this year. Not sure about that.

Also, defenders are allowed to be a lot more physical in this league than college or international. Add in better quality defenders and better goalies. As many have noted, all of these make it tougher on all attackers, not just North. A big part of her game in college was getting to the 8m line. Due to the way the AU game is played, she had comparatively few 8m opportunities in this league.

I don’t have any real quibble with your defense of her low shooting percentage. I agree. It is down overall in the league due to the above factors.

I only watched the ESPN network games, not any of the + games so I didn’t see all of CN’s games. My criticism is that she takes too many low percentage shots. And she holds the ball too long in a game where there is only a 60 second shot clock. She almost always looks to shoot first not pass. That’s a big no-no in my book. I think people generally would agree with that. Seven assists with the amount of time she had the ball seems like a low number to me.

Now, on the other hand, she has a very hard and accurate shot. She is dogged about trying to bob and weave, twist and turn, start and stop, etc. to find an opening. The problem is that as she is doing that, the shot clock is winding down.

I would like to see her shoot less, take better percentage shots, feed more, and redefend.

I agree with the turnovers. But as I detailed above. Also not fair that offensive players don’t get a turnover when they take a weak shot or a force that the goalie routinely saves. That should be a turnover. Just my opinion.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:01 pm We all agree CN is a phenomenal player. Even those who aren't her biggest fans. But she's a bit of a special case when it comes to her overall game which is the root of these intense discussions.

This!!!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I think Izzy Scane's shot is just as powerful, just as accurate, just as cage rocking. I'm sure there are others who have as special or as powerful a shot but just don't get the same exposure/publicity.

To be fair, North knows how to pass to a teammate. She had 23 assists her final season in NCAA lacrosse. She just doesn't choose to that often in this new (is it really even a league?) AU endeavor. An alternate view would be her contribution at the 2022 World Games but she didn't pass a whole lot there either, though she did contribute significantly:

To be fair in another area, North never gets picked first, but she consistently goes 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

3rd for Team Mastro week 1
4th for Team Moreno week 2
2nd for Team Moreno week 3
3rd for Team Bosco week 4

North probably saves her strength/energy on the redefend due to a nagging high school injury. If I had to give her the benefit of the doubt, I would say that could be a reason, if not the reason, she doesn't ride. Conversely, Scane rides like Apuzzo.

In conclusion, and as I said to DMac previously, a lot about North's game came into better focus and perspective watching Izzy Scane this past season. I'd take Izzy over Charlotte for skill set and talent every time. Though there was an aspect of levity to the moniker, I can no longer refer to her as The Great One. There's one greater than her playing for the Northwestern Wildcats.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:14 am

To be fair in another area, North never gets picked first, but she consistently goes 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Good to see your name back in the feed, ONW!

I don't fully understand the AU points system, so I don't know what the gamesmanship is behind the picks. For example, Apuzzo never picked North for her team which could be because she knows that North would limit her ability to rack up points. I also notice that the large majority of the first players picked were middies. Probably something to do with the points available in more aspects of the game for middies???

Just a slight correction to your list of picks, but North was actually picked 2nd, 3rd, 1st and 2nd by her captains. I believe you may be counting the captain as the first pick each week which I don't think is the right way to look at this. https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am

Good to see your name back in the feed, ONW!

Just a slight correction to your list of picks, but North was actually picked 2nd, 3rd, 1st and 2nd by her captains. I believe you may be counting the captain as the first pick each week which I don't think is the right way to look at this. https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/
Thanks, CO. Good to be seen and good to be back.

Right--one doesn't count the captain--that makes sense.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am I don't fully understand the AU points system, so I don't know what the gamesmanship is behind the picks.For example, Apuzzo never picked North for her team which could be because she knows that North would limit her ability to rack up points. I also notice that the large majority of the first players picked were middies. Probably something to do with the points available in more aspects of the game for middies???

Wow, you've always been over the top with North, CO, now you've gone off the deep end.
To say that statement is ridiculous would be way understating it. Apuzzo has come in second
behind Moreno two years in a row now, GKs definitely have an advantage, hence fewer points
per save this year and it needs to be further adjusted. Look at the leader board and it's clearly
evident when you look at the players behind them and what they bring to the team. It is extremely
doubtful that Apuzzo thinks for one second that North would limit her ability to rack up points were
she to choose her to be on her team. North is a one trick pony, Apuzzo gets her points all over the
field, she's not the least bit threatened by North. North gonna run someone down on a ride and take
the ball away from her when that could have been Sam? You're living in a dream if you think that's
going to happen. She gonna get to more GBs (CN lacks speed)?
It shows that you've watched a couple of games, a few highlights, and don't understand the points
system. This Apuzzo not wanting to pick North because she's afraid she'd lose some points to her
might be your best one yet. Wow.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:17 am
Can Opener wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am I don't fully understand the AU points system, so I don't know what the gamesmanship is behind the picks.For example, Apuzzo never picked North for her team which could be because she knows that North would limit her ability to rack up points. I also notice that the large majority of the first players picked were middies. Probably something to do with the points available in more aspects of the game for middies???

Wow, you've always been over the top with North, CO, now you've gone off the deep end.
To say that statement is ridiculous would be way understating it. Apuzzo has come in second
behind Moreno two years in a row now, GKs definitely have an advantage, hence fewer points
per save this year and it needs to be further adjusted. Look at the leader board and it's clearly
evident when you look at the players behind them and what they bring to the team. It is extremely
doubtful that Apuzzo thinks for one second that North would limit her ability to rack up points were
she to choose her to be on her team. North is a one trick pony, Apuzzo gets her points all over the
field, she's not the least bit threatened by North. North gonna run someone down on a ride and take
the ball away from her when that could have been Sam? You're living in a dream if you think that's
going to happen. She gonna get to more GBs (CN lacks speed)?
It shows that you've watched a couple of games, a few highlights, and don't understand the points
system. This Apuzzo not wanting to pick North because she's afraid she'd lose some points to her
might be your best one yet. Wow.
Thanks, DMac. As you know, I have always respected your wisdom, enthusiasm and wit.

The points system doesn't make much sense to me and it seems like a flaw in AU, but you have studied it more than I have. There is probably a reason why 99% of professional team sports games are not contested under this format. It seems that the PLL has figured out a pretty good formula that allows fans to root for both favorite teams and favorite individuals. I wouldn't be surprised if AU changes its format in the future to more resemble the PLL. It just doesn't seem like the points system has captured the hearts and minds of even the most avid women's lacrosse fans.

I'm not sure why my post triggered you, but while it's not a deeply studied take on my part, it still doesn't seem too ridiculous. Apuzzo lost to Moreno by 12 points which is equal to one regular goal. As someone who says that North holds the ball too long, takes too many shots and doesn't value assists, I would think you might see how Apuzzo could wonder if CN would "steal" some possessions and offensive opportunities open to her. It's just math for Sam and probably not personal given their long relationship. I agree that she would not fear losing GB or CTO points to North. I don't know how many times I've praised Apuzzo over the years, so I'm confident you know that I am not trashing her in any way.

I would also note that both of these young women earn a living from lacrosse. Part of their jobs is to think about how they are perceived by the marketplace of fans, coaches, athletic directors and student/athlete prospects. Could that at times cause them to do some things that are somewhat selfish? Yeah, probably. I don't think it's a coincidence that CN took 16 shots to score 6 goals yesterday. The AU scoring title isn't a huge boost to her resume, but it seems reasonable to push for that title in the last game of the season that is otherwise somewhat meaningless.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I've not heard one person in this league not recognize Apuzzo as the best. Might not be the best stick handler, have the greatest variety of shots, the most velocity but her doggedness and will to win is unmatched. Were she not a Captain she would be the first picked by every other Captain.
The point system adds a unique element, winning each quarter is actually kind of cool. This isn't a model for pretty much any other league the way I see it. How do you run a competitive league with as few players as AU lacrosse has? If you didn't choose new teams every week and have a points system one team would likely dominate and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting. This works for that league, IMO.
I doubt that either of these two are all that concerned about losing popularity/recognition if they don't come out on top in points in this league. Both are solidly recognized as standouts and both undoubtedly have fine futures ahead of them in the world lacrosse. Charlotte is an outstanding broadcaster and everyone wants Apuzzo.
As for the PLL, I got a little inside scoop that Charlotte might be pushing Rabil a little bit to combine pro wlax with pro mlax.
I think the source is pretty darn good too (aint gonna be disclosed).
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I think Izzy Scane's shot is just as powerful, just as accurate, just as cage rocking. I'm sure there are others who have as special or as powerful a shot but just don't get the same exposure/publicity.

To be fair, North knows how to pass to a teammate. She had 23 assists her final season in NCAA lacrosse. She just doesn't choose to that often in this new (is it really even a league?) AU endeavor. An alternate view would be her contribution at the 2022 World Games but she didn't pass a whole lot there either, though she did contribute significantly:

North probably saves her strength/energy on the redefend due to a nagging high school injury. If I had to give her the benefit of the doubt, I would say that could be a reason, if not the reason, she doesn't ride. Conversely, Scane rides like Apuzzo.

In conclusion, and as I said to DMac previously, a lot about North's game came into better focus and perspective watching Izzy Scane this past season. I'd take Izzy over Charlotte for skill set and talent every time. Though there was an aspect of levity to the moniker, I can no longer refer to her as The Great One. There's one greater than her playing for the Northwestern Wildcats.
Nah no chance Izzy Scane's shot is on the same level as North. you can knock North all you wang but her shot is one thing she has over everyone. The way she winds up and zips the ball is unmatched. Izzy Scane is a better scorer but doesn't shoot as hard as North.

Speaking of North, her assist numbers are okay. But cmon when we talk about her passing ability you know it goes beyond just numbers. Any top level player can make simple passes and score assists. When i talk about her passing i'm talking about high IQ, anticipation/leading your teammate open type passes. She doesn't make those. Either because she doesn't see them or because she's not confident enough to attempt them, opting to shoot instead.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Probably no one shooting it faster/harder than North but there are quite few who aren't too far behind her. I was surprised by McMahon's velocity (not suggesting it's as fast but it comes with plenty of heat). That wind up you mention is also a detriment, good for heat but that stick hangs out for a long time and is not good in tight quarters. A baseball pitcher reaches way back, a catcher throws from the ear, quicker release, still plenty of heat. Charlotte gets in trouble in crowded space, doesn't really have a good repertoire of shots like a Kent or Levy for example. She could use a better shot from the ear with quick wrists when in tight. Lot of better shooters in that situation.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pm Nah no chance Izzy Scane's shot is on the same level as North. you can knock North all you wang but her shot is one thing she has over everyone. The way she winds up and zips the ball is unmatched. Izzy Scane is a better scorer but doesn't shoot as hard as North.
Not that it means much in the grand scheme of things, but how do we know that for certain sure unless we break out the radar gun?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Everything's back in order, am all caught up but am bummed this Thursday, no games today, it's all over. While I completely understand why the purists don't much care for AU's dummied down version of mlax, and likely see it as another step closer in the inexorable march of wlax to mlax, I thoroughly enjoy it. I do like that they can play with a little more recklessness both offensively and defensively, I just feel as if it better affords these players the opportunity to use their skills to the max whereas the college game is much more restrictive in that respect. Kayla Wood could not play the kind of defense 1v1 against Charlotte North in the college game as she can in the AU game, for example, and that makes that match up a whole different ballgame and a better one, IMO.
In last year's final game it was T Apuzzo v T Moreno and just as it was this year it was Moreno and Apuzzo battling for the top spot. Last year Moreno stuffed Apuzzo several times in that game (pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly), stood tall and pretty much shut Sam down scoring wise. This year was a whole different story, Sam was in max GSD mode, scored 3 (pretty sure) and had 1 assist while of course playing her usual game all over the field. Wouldn't say Moreno had a bad day but it was far from her best. Last year I felt as if Moreno deserved the title after that last game, this year, not so much. The GK points are definitely an advantage, they need more adjusting (3 of the top 5 point getters are GKs is a pretty good indication of that).
Love this AU league, it brings unique elements I don't think you'd see in any other league. The switching up of teams weekly brings a friendliness among competitors that I've not seen anywhere else and it's really nice to see. Congratulating your opponent on a nice play/shot/save is not something you're going to see anywhere else but you see it pretty regularly in this league. Fear not, it's right back to max competitiveness when the whistle blows to resume play. I think AU does a lot of things right, I know a lot more about these players, their relationships, their interests and their history than I did before, that's for sure.
Never saw much of Abby Bosco when she was a collegiate player (I don't get the B1G-) but man, what a good player she is!! Sure had a mighty good rookie season. It took Rozenzweig a game or two to adjust to this game but she sure was impressive as well....just to mention a couple.
Bad news is (for some) I do believe that in time the college game is much more going to resemble the AU game than it does today. I believe that the AU game is the game most girls would prefer to play. JMHO.
Have a happy Thursday....well, as happy as you can without AU lacrosse anyway.
Some sweet sounds from Ed and Marta for you on this somewhat solemn Thursday. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtwo-ZR57XU
njbill

Post by njbill »

Even though I have a different view of AU, which I have expressed, that’s a very nice post about the league, DMac.

One quibble, though, and that is your comment that the college game will become more like the AU game. With the (quite dramatic in my view) rule changes they just adopted, I think it remains to be seen whether the college game will become more or less physical.

Buy green card futures.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, we'll see what happens in time with the college game (think back 15 years, the wlax game has edged ever closer to the mlax game since then...6v6 on the draw, kicking the ball, play on, etc). Cross checking definitely needs to be reigned in, I actually think it's worse in the college game than in AU. In AU the players can body up and don't have to so much depend on that cross check. Back to Charlotte and Wood. Wood is going to be called for a block when Charlotte attempts to muscle her way to the cage (so many times I think that should be a charge but the call more often than not is a block) in the college game, in the AU game she can body up and muscle her right back (Charlotte aint outmuscling Kayla...she got shut down in that matchup), doesn't have to hammer her with that crosscheck. I like that better. Izzy McMahan plays like she's on a bed of white hot coals, her feet move so fast it's crazy. She can get a step on most players and fire a mighty hard shot from the hip with the separation she creates. In the college game she's very apt to not be able to get that shot off for fear of dangerous propel (follow through might hit the defender in the thigh) or dangerous shot. That aint happenin' in the AU game and I like that it doesn't limit her using that ability and shooting skill. It's not just all about the roughness to me, there's plenty about the AU game I like a lot.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”