2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

So the 2023 championship website is practically unusable on a computer it seems and it wasn't a wealth of information when I was perusing it on my phone last night either and similarly buggy. Does anyone have a better place to look over rosters with actual information that shows who the players are in terms of bios and where these folks play in terms of college/club/pro etc.? The names for the US and Canadian team are certainly recognizable but many others really aren't.

Really I want to be able to find answers to questions along the lines of "Does the Japan team have players that currently do or previously did play NCAA lacrosse?"
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

On mobile, this site is much better than the last World Games site, but just stats, no bios.

————

Someone earlier asked on the status of Owen Grant’s injury - he’s no longer listed on Team Canada’s roster, so bad enough I’d presume.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 am So the 2023 championship website is practically unusable on a computer it seems and it wasn't a wealth of information when I was perusing it on my phone last night either and similarly buggy. Does anyone have a better place to look over rosters with actual information that shows who the players are in terms of bios and where these folks play in terms of college/club/pro etc.? The names for the US and Canadian team are certainly recognizable but many others really aren't.

Really I want to be able to find answers to questions along the lines of "Does the Japan team have players that currently do or previously did play NCAA lacrosse?"
Without searching the roster name by name, I can note that there is an exchange program with JHU that I believe a few past players have been through. This put players on the JHU roster. Also, some of the players would've been on the Keio University team thar toured the USA before covid.
Ruffled_Feathers

Yeah the Japan question was really just an example. I looked at their roster last night and I don't think a single one of their players has anything remotely Americanized as far as a name so I generally assume they may not have much in the way of citizenship funny business happening like other teams may in some cases. And none of the names were recognizable to me as JHU folks from any recent era or other D1 players but they as a team certainly appeared to know what they were doing. But like is it purely just lacrosse happening inside of Japan that is producing them or are some of them attending US university and playing D3 I don't know about? Is there some summer league or something that happens on the West Coast to help sharpen these skills? etc. etc.

I was just hoping to not have to try and do a deep dive looking up individual rosters and players if I could help it. Like even some slightly more "premiere" broadcast games with Joe Benanati on the call last night for Australia vs England they were talking up people like Matthew Wood who is purely an Australian club player.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:57 pm Yeah the Japan question was really just an example. I looked at their roster last night and I don't think a single one of their players has anything remotely Americanized as far as a name so I generally assume they may not have much in the way of citizenship funny business happening like other teams may in some cases. And none of the names were recognizable to me as JHU folks from any recent era or other D1 players but they as a team certainly appeared to know what they were doing. But like is it purely just lacrosse happening inside of Japan that is producing them or are some of them attending US university and playing D3 I don't know about? Is there some summer league or something that happens on the West Coast to help sharpen these skills? etc. etc.

I was just hoping to not have to try and do a deep dive looking up individual rosters and players if I could help it. Like even some slightly more "premiere" broadcast games with Joe Benanati on the call last night for Australia vs England they were talking up people like Matthew Wood who is purely an Australian club player.
The two top Japanese lacrosse universities have long established programs. There's an active men's club circuit. The national lacrosse association has over 40,000 members. Rob Pannell was just over there and reported back some added information. As far as I can tell, it's a generally home grown.

In the 1980s and 1990s, Richie Moran met Japanese players at camps in Hawaii and made several training videos that were translated into Japanese.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:57 pm Yeah the Japan question was really just an example. I looked at their roster last night and I don't think a single one of their players has anything remotely Americanized as far as a name so I generally assume they may not have much in the way of citizenship funny business happening like other teams may in some cases. And none of the names were recognizable to me as JHU folks from any recent era or other D1 players but they as a team certainly appeared to know what they were doing. But like is it purely just lacrosse happening inside of Japan that is producing them or are some of them attending US university and playing D3 I don't know about? Is there some summer league or something that happens on the West Coast to help sharpen these skills? etc. etc.

this may help some of what you're after, ruffled.
https://www.sticksinlacrosse.com/post/t ... mpionships
dan arestia attempted to locate and identify as many current and former nc$$ players as he could. he has gotten contributions from his twitter followers as well.

it's by no means an absolute exhaustive list, but maybe semi-close. some guys are listed that were actually on a school's club team, but not many.

he also highlighted and looked i suspect pretty hard at japan in particular, trying to find an nc$$ connection. mainly because he thinks they might be a top 5 ish team that could potentially medal if not this year, then soon.

and he has some of the same sort of conclusions and questions about their development vs. taking on americanized descendants. and discussions about that with others. his twitter feed is public and one you may be interested in for the subject.
Ruffled_Feathers

Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for at a bare minimum.

I'd certainly be interested to see more full bios on players in general as team construction for these things and the level of play is just kind of fascinating to me particularly with a team like Japan that is all "in house" but looks like they can for sure play.

Meanwhile some of the other teams with few or no names showing up it is just kinda confirmation given the level of play that has been shown thus far. France was very obviously outmatched and doesn't have many names on this list.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:12 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 pm Italy has the third most PLL players after the USA and Canada.
Are they all from Long Island ?
Another dumb joke falls flat.....Show me stupid...petty and, of course, wrong :oops:
You ever hear Joe Amplo talk about LI ? Unlike you, he has a sense of humor.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:03 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:12 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 pm Italy has the third most PLL players after the USA and Canada.
Are they all from Long Island ?
Another dumb joke falls flat.....Show me stupid...petty and, of course, wrong :oops:
You ever hear Joe Amplo talk about LI ? Unlike you, he has a sense of humor.
IMHO it doesn't reflect well on him either :oops:
No information on how many of his alleged jokes fall as flat as yours often do. :lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Watched some of the Korea-Ireland game, which Ireland won 14-2. Good effort by both teams, but …

… not sure I would pay to see these games. :?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:28 am
jersey shore lax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:59 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:30 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:04 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:19 pm If lacrosse makes it into the Olympics, the proposed structure is eight teams. The result would be a similar event to the World Games in Birmingham, Alabama last summer.

The USA Canada final in 2022 was, basically, a box type game played on a field. Personally, I found the stickwork and competition interesting. The Japa/England game was similarly entertaining.
agreed and it might be more fun for the causal fan, last olympics I fell in love with the 3 on 3 basketball and I am sure "real" basketball fans hated it but I don't like or watch much basketball and I found the 5 on 3 to be fun (half court, 12 second shot clock and first one to 21 wins) ,it is fast and over in about a half an hour. the last 5 minutes of an NBA game is usually longer
3 on 3 basketball is pure basketball. You cut your teeth playing 3 on 3. This “sixies” game is just some made up game being used as a gimmick to get a game with lacrosse sticks and a goal in it. Flip the goal over and play without a goalie.
Stickball is pure baseball. You cut your teeth playing Stickball.

When did you first see a “Sixies” game? Is there a league?
you really are a Typical lacrosse Dad - let it go. people are allowed to have different opinions. If you put an American Flag or USA on the uniform and it is the Olympics I am watching and enjoying it. I would rather watch sixes than have no lacrosse in the olympics and I would rather watch Uganda V. The Philippines with no shot clock that game seven of the world series but I am guessing you have a different opinion and since you do not like sixes I can not?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jersey shore lax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:28 am
jersey shore lax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:59 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:30 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:04 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:19 pm If lacrosse makes it into the Olympics, the proposed structure is eight teams. The result would be a similar event to the World Games in Birmingham, Alabama last summer.

The USA Canada final in 2022 was, basically, a box type game played on a field. Personally, I found the stickwork and competition interesting. The Japa/England game was similarly entertaining.
agreed and it might be more fun for the causal fan, last olympics I fell in love with the 3 on 3 basketball and I am sure "real" basketball fans hated it but I don't like or watch much basketball and I found the 5 on 3 to be fun (half court, 12 second shot clock and first one to 21 wins) ,it is fast and over in about a half an hour. the last 5 minutes of an NBA game is usually longer
3 on 3 basketball is pure basketball. You cut your teeth playing 3 on 3. This “sixies” game is just some made up game being used as a gimmick to get a game with lacrosse sticks and a goal in it. Flip the goal over and play without a goalie.
Stickball is pure baseball. You cut your teeth playing Stickball.

When did you first see a “Sixies” game? Is there a league?
you really are a Typical lacrosse Dad - let it go. people are allowed to have different opinions. If you put an American Flag or USA on the uniform and it is the Olympics I am watching and enjoying it. I would rather watch sixes than have no lacrosse in the olympics and I would rather watch Uganda V. The Philippines with no shot clock that game seven of the world series but I am guessing you have a different opinion and since you do not like sixes I can not?
I believed you questioned my opinion….and here you are. Anyway, no biggie. Enjoy the World Games. I am about to tune in.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I was wondering why Uganda was placed in such a high pool. They are very athletic. They were beaten by Japan 18-0. Possibly not the best placement for the team.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

faircornell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:56 pm I was wondering why Uganda was placed in such a high pool. They are very athletic. They were beaten by Japan 18-0. Possibly not the best placement for the team.
I was curious about the pools, too. I did a quick comparison of the rankings and the pools, and it looks like teams ranked 1-5 are pool A. The remaining ranked teams (6-10) look distributed across the remaining pools as the top seed in each pool. Then it looks like everyone was else was either randomly assigned to non-Pool A, or they were spread across the pools in order (team ranked 11 in Pool B, team ranked 12 in Pool C, and so on). I think that is how Uganda ended up where they did. I'm sure somewhere on the website explains it, but, as previously noted in this thread, the website isn't too user friendly.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:36 pm Watched some of the Korea-Ireland game, which Ireland won 14-2. Good effort by both teams, but …

DocBarrister
no one has asked you to.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:36 pm Watched some of the Korea-Ireland game, which Ireland won 14-2. Good effort by both teams, but …

DocBarrister
no one has asked you to.
Someone seems to think this site is twitter. :roll:

Joe
Brooklyn

Re: World Lacrosse 2023 Championship

Post by Brooklyn »

watching on https://livesport24.net/

for FREE
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

USA beats Australia 12-3.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

It’s rather depressing taking two teams of professionals and putting them in a pool with teams of club guys. Add this to list of why very few people care about lacrosse. It’s a really cool experience for all the other teams, for USA and Canada it’s not.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:05 pm Does anyone know if any home grown Japanese players have made a D1 roster? I caught some of the Japan-France stream. Japan is the only team in the tournament playing with all home grown players. It looks like a matter of time before a few home grown Japanese players make a D1 roster.
There are two sisters from Japan who play for Louisville.

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”