2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:55 pm Hockey is being added to the Olympics!!

i watch curling every quadrennial.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:55 pm Hockey is being added to the Olympics!!

i watch curling every quadrennial.
I love it. There is a league in the area. I met a woman that plays in it. Seems like fun. I am all for putting Box Lacrosse in the Olympics….but it would dis-intermediate some folks here. Nobody can explain to me why we don’t just enter box lacrosse instead of a made up lacrosse game to line pockets?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:16 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:08 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.
Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
why wouldn't pannell potentially come out of the box? he jogs on... gets a shorty... and dodges him. from behind, wing, or wherever. the 6 v 6 has been conducted at a snail's pace. and then once we lose possession, the mids run off.
I guess that could work but if you are changing around your offense that much for one guy, maybe he isn't the guy. Both Oneill and Sowers can work from both up top and behind so running them out of the box doesn't fundamentally change the offensive structure. Possible sure, but is that ideal?
i didn't say they'd be changing the offense up for one guy. everything you're saying about sowers... plug pannell for sowers. sowers has been taking his matchup to the wing and behind. he did so from "up top" once? that i saw? on a line with o'neill and schreiber/kelly that works for spacing.

they've been content to get 2 of 3 of those guys on shorties. with the idea maybe that against a top defense a push on att/close d is fine. if sowers is going against graeme instead of rando ssdm, the results may surely be different for him.

sowers (and insert your favorite attackman here) have had a chance over the last several years to be the pick over pannell or whomever you might like. and they haven't taken it. there's a mishmash of guys, maybe because they're all good and it's what flavor you prefer.
I wouldn’t characterize it as several years. Sowers graduated from Duke in 2022 and not sure he had camped before that but I could be wrong.
several seasons-ish? between pll and world's activities, they do more than likely ever.
- he played for usa in world 6's in 2022. okay, i did that to tweak you.
- summer tryouts
- pll season
- fall activities
- the rest after final cutdowns

not for nothing, while holding down a desk job for likely most of it. kudos.

the coach also knows him, so there's that familiarity. and he's on record as doing what sounds like more than casual pll scouting.

you don't often make the team without a good tryout(s).
sowers has been v good in his role. and he's probably pumped:
https://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/20 ... le-repeat/
“Years” was my quibble. Sixies isn’t lacrosse. It’s a sport played with lacrosse sticks and a lacrosse goal. Pickle ball isn’t tennis.
tough comparison. racquets aren't the same and net height's different.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:16 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:08 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.
Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
why wouldn't pannell potentially come out of the box? he jogs on... gets a shorty... and dodges him. from behind, wing, or wherever. the 6 v 6 has been conducted at a snail's pace. and then once we lose possession, the mids run off.
I guess that could work but if you are changing around your offense that much for one guy, maybe he isn't the guy. Both Oneill and Sowers can work from both up top and behind so running them out of the box doesn't fundamentally change the offensive structure. Possible sure, but is that ideal?
i didn't say they'd be changing the offense up for one guy. everything you're saying about sowers... plug pannell for sowers. sowers has been taking his matchup to the wing and behind. he did so from "up top" once? that i saw? on a line with o'neill and schreiber/kelly that works for spacing.

they've been content to get 2 of 3 of those guys on shorties. with the idea maybe that against a top defense a push on att/close d is fine. if sowers is going against graeme instead of rando ssdm, the results may surely be different for him.

sowers (and insert your favorite attackman here) have had a chance over the last several years to be the pick over pannell or whomever you might like. and they haven't taken it. there's a mishmash of guys, maybe because they're all good and it's what flavor you prefer.
I wouldn’t characterize it as several years. Sowers graduated from Duke in 2022 and not sure he had camped before that but I could be wrong.
several seasons-ish? between pll and world's activities, they do more than likely ever.
- he played for usa in world 6's in 2022. okay, i did that to tweak you.
- summer tryouts
- pll season
- fall activities
- the rest after final cutdowns

not for nothing, while holding down a desk job for likely most of it. kudos.

the coach also knows him, so there's that familiarity. and he's on record as doing what sounds like more than casual pll scouting.

you don't often make the team without a good tryout(s).
sowers has been v good in his role. and he's probably pumped:
https://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/20 ... le-repeat/
“Years” was my quibble. Sixies isn’t lacrosse. It’s a sport played with lacrosse sticks and a lacrosse goal. Pickle ball isn’t tennis.
tough comparison. racquets aren't the same and net height's different.
A quibble.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It would not shock me if the H…. win the Olympics. Their big issue over the years has been depth of roster. With 6s they become a threat.

A lot of people wanted lax back in the Olympics for various reasons without caring too much about purity. Agreements were reached kind of like the no shout club deal in the current competition. Doubt there was one when games were played over miles between villages. At least one wealthy individual.
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:13 am It would not shock me if the H…. win the Olympics. Their big issue over the years has been depth of roster. With 6s they become a threat.

A lot of people wanted lax back in the Olympics for various reasons without caring too much about purity. Agreements were reached kind of like the no shout club deal in the current competition. Doubt there was one when games were played over miles between villages. At least one wealthy individual.
https://apnews.com/article/sacred-river ... 5d9235ac44

Cricket should get in before “lacrosse” if we are talking about an Olympic sport.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/759733
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moving this thread and consolidating the similar topics/posts.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The playoffs are beginning. They should be interesting.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Jamaica tops Italy. Jamaica moves on to face Canada.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:52 pm Jamaica tops Italy. Jamaica moves on to face Canada.
Jamaica is 5-0, beating a previously unbeaten Italy.

Who saw that coming?

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:58 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:52 pm Jamaica tops Italy. Jamaica moves on to face Canada.

Who saw that coming?

They've got an up and coming star named Stone Evans who is really one to watch. I've not followed the team so much this tournament, but they had a strong base in Nantucket High School Lacrosse. I'm not sure if that is still the case.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

faircornell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:40 pm The playoffs are beginning. They should be interesting.
Australia vs. England – 10 a.m. PT (SDSU Sports Deck)
Haudenosaunee vs. Japan – 1 p.m. PT (SDSU Sports Deck)
Canada vs. Jamaica – 4 p.m. PT (USD Torero Stadium)
United States vs. Israel – 7 p.m. PT (USD Torero Stadium)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:58 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Who saw that coming?

They've got an up and coming star named Stone Evans who is really one to watch. I've not followed the team so much this tournament, but they had a strong base in Nantucket High School Lacrosse. I'm not sure if that is still the case.
Stone Evans is an Air Force 2024 recruit.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Australia into the semis over England. And...

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Warren Hill was a brick wall for the Haudenosuanee as they top Japan in the quarter finals.

The Haudenosuanee are stacked with talent.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:54 pm Warren Hill was a brick wall for the Haudenosuanee as they top Japan in the quarter finals.

The Haudenosuanee are stacked with talent.
Indeed they are. I find their style of play very entertaining and unpredictable.

Still, I don’t see anything but a U.S. / Canada final.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ESPN 2 tonight live

8:00PM Canada v Haudenosaunee

11:00PM USA v Australia
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:28 pm ESPN 2 tonight live

8:00PM Canada v Haudenosaunee

11:00PM USA v Australia
:oops: Effed up for an 11pm start. Not even the NBA does that crap to the East coast.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Watched much of Italy > Germany & Canada > Haudenosaunee. Both a bit too one sided for me as I much prefer closer games.

Hopefully, USA to win over Ozland to set up a finale with Canada.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Our Yanks did not disappoint as they whipped the Ozland "Sharks" 11-2.

I liked Oz's initial defensive intensity but it was difficult to maintain against the fierce USA onslaught. Sure was tough enough to deal with USA's physicality. But then they had to deal with Michael Sowers' quickness and shooting accuracy.

Funny banter between the announcers. Some times they more intent on discussing sports history rather than the game itself. But it was a fun broadcast just the same.

Canada vs USA on Saturday for the Championship. Should be fun.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”