New England West 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
random observer

Re: New England West 2024

Post by random observer »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am He can spend his money however he wants. I just wonder if takes more than field house to take a middling team with mostly NJ kids pre Covid to a fully North American squad that could probably give Tufts a run for their money in just four years.
To be fair Lawrenceville has a pretty strong history as a lacrosse power, which dimmed for a brief period during the 2010s. Luring Jon Posner from Culver seems to have been the biggest catalyst. I'm sure at the end of the day funding and money being poured into the program is giving it a strong boost, but I have no idea if that's a direct benefit (in the form of scholarships) or indirect (better facilities, larger coaching staffs, etc). Lawrenceville is pulling kids not just from Canada and non-hotbeds; they're convincing kids from schools that are already good academically and at lacrosse to matriculate (often as repeats).

They've got two prominent seniors who are reclasses from Manhasset in the current senior class, and two kids from Darien in their underclasses (one a reclass) That means Lawrenceville isn't just convincing them to leave their public schools (which have strong academics and storied lacrosse programs), but also to pass up local private school powerhouses Chaminade and Brunswick/Taft. Clearly the Big Red have built a compelling pitch.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

While I'm sure that Tsai's contributions have been tremendously important I agree that it's Posner who has made the most significant impact. He brought several elite players (such as Hop's Brooks English, Hunter Chauvette and Quintan Kilrain and former Yale commit Lucas Osbourne who is now at Jacksonville) from Culver with him his first year on the job who no doubt helped him set the tone and accelerate the adoption of his methods and values. As noted, Posner has done an outstanding job of recruiting at L'ville. No doubt the school sells itself academically and he is the cherry on top in terms of its newly revitalized lax program, which has players beating a path to his door. The real question is will Posner over-recruit and end up with a bench full of players (and their disgruntled parents) who were dazzled by the attraction of playing for him but would be better off getting on the field at another school (public, private or parochial). This happened at Taft under Nic Bell and the culture of the program suffered (for this and other reasons) as a result.
Finish Strong
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

I was under the impression that Tsai is the reason that Posner is there. If so and if he is funding focused scholarships, then I think it’s fair to say Tsai is the difference. The rest is ancillary to his support.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

New England Lacrosse Journal Podcast with Taft HC Max Rosner.

https://www.laxjournal.com/from-the-pod ... ectations/
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:34 am New England Lacrosse Journal Podcast with Taft HC Max Rosner.

https://www.laxjournal.com/from-the-pod ... ectations/
Thanks, Laxxal! i liked the Rosner quote:
But when it comes to perception vs. reality, in regards to parents, they think their kids hung the moon. I hope every parent feels that way about their kid.

But in the end, I hope that parents trust me in guiding them to say, “This is just not going to be achievable.” Or, it may be achievable if you do these things, and even then it may not tilt in your favor. But we try and have those conversations. I don’t know if it’s always received with a smile.
and also:
We talk a lot about focusing on what we think is really important, and that’s first and foremost your academics here.

If you can do well academically it keeps a lot of doors open.
3rdPersonPlural

Less than 2 weeks to action!

Loomis gets going on March 16th in PA

Deerfield starts on March 16th against IMG then has Nobles from ISL

Taft launches their schedule in 3/22 weeks against St Johns, which is a nationally ranked DC area team

Wick kicks off their schedule 3/23 against St Sebs, who is a big player in the ISL (they beat my Rhinos last year)

Salisbury starts on Mar 27 against Nobles as well

Everyone else seems to be 3/30 or an April start date.

Whee!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Random question for the West 1 fans on here who have seen quite a few players/seasons. Who had the best PG season that you can remember? Where they went to college and what they did once they got there doesn't matter. Just looking for guys who tore it up for a single 7-8 week season and then were gone with the wind.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Season is about to start. Any pre-season predictions/rankings?
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:55 pm Random question for the West 1 fans on here who have seen quite a few players/seasons. Who had the best PG season that you can remember? Where they went to college and what they did once they got there doesn't matter. Just looking for guys who tore it up for a single 7-8 week season and then were gone with the wind.
Rob Pannell put up 99 points, which may still stand as a single season record, for DA in '08.
Finish Strong
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I was going to say Pannell as well. It’s actually a tough question. There have been some amazing PGs who have come through the league and had great years. However, they were often on a field at times together with 20 plus players who would go on to play at top 25ish D1 schools. No matter how amazing you are, it’s really hard to really stand out head and shoulders above that level of talent. Going back again to Pannell era halcyon days at Deerfield, Billy Bitter was an absolute terror.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:49 pm I was going to say Pannell as well. It’s actually a tough question. There have been some amazing PGs who have come through the league and had great years. However, they were often on a field at times together with 20 plus players who would go on to play at top 25ish D1 schools. No matter how amazing you are, it’s really hard to really stand out head and shoulders above that level of talent. Going back again to Pannell era halcyon days at Deerfield, Billy Bitter was an absolute terror.
Andrew Gallahue Tallied 42 goals and 21 assists during his PG year at Choate Rosemary Hall in 2015...He had a great year even with teams targeting him as the GUY
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

Other mentionables:

Christian Walsh '10 Deerfield 82 pts
Matt Kavanaugh '12 Hotchkiss ? pts
Justin Guterding '14 Salisbury ? pts
Michael Kraus '16 Taft 57 goals ? assists
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

The season is here! We've made it.

Monday, 3/18
Loomis @ Springside Chestnut Hill (Philly area)

Friday, 3/22
Taft @ St. Johns (DC)

Saturday, 3/23
Deerfield (LFG BIG GREEN) @ Nobles
St. Sebastian @ Brunswick

Sunday, 3/24
Taft @ Haverford School (Philly burbs)
3rdPersonPlural

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:53 am Less than 2 weeks to action!

Taft launches their schedule in 3/22 weeks against St Johns, which is a nationally ranked DC area team

Wick kicks off their schedule 3/23 against St Sebs, who is a big player in the ISL (they beat my Rhinos last year)

Whee!
What happened to the March 16th games for LC and the DA Green?

They're either off of IL calendars (LC) or passed but no score shown (DA)

Curiouser and Curiouser...
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Whee!

Deerfield v IMG was a scrimmage, probably why no posted score.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

LC scrimmaged Westtown School on 3/16 while on its Spring Break trip. No score posted.

Today the Pelicans started their season on the road at Springside Chestnut Hill Academy in Philly. LC led wire to wire and beat the Blue Devils 10 - 4.
Finish Strong
3rdPersonPlural

Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 pm LC scrimmaged Westtown School on 3/16 while on its Spring Break trip. No score posted.

Today the Pelicans started their season on the road at Springside Chestnut Hill Academy in Philly. LC led wire to wire and beat the Blue Devils 10 - 4.
Per the LC athletics website, all the PA games are Scrimmages.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 pm LC scrimmaged Westtown School on 3/16 while on its Spring Break trip. No score posted.

Per the LC athletics website, all the PA games are Scrimmages.
You are correct that the LC site lists all three as scrimmages, 3rd. I termed it the official start to LC's season as SCH listed it as a game on its schedule and both teams approached it as such in terms of timing, substitutions, score keeping, officiating, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4q_VmXuVdS/
Finish Strong
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

LC listed on IL as a game
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Whee!

Deerfield v IMG was a scrimmage, probably why no posted score.
Yup, those NE West Florida Trips always get conveniently removed from IL Scoreboard. Sometimes you can find them on LaxNumbers. Usually, the school's website doesn't even include it on their schedule.

Joe

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”