ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
porkchop

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by porkchop »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:11 pm
porkchop wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 pm Big question is whether Brown or Dartmouth will get a win (outside of when they play each other). If they don’t I believe it is still possible for the other 5 teams to all finish 4-2.
Hmmm, yes, mathematically, that looks possible. I'd say that has less than a hanging chad's chance in Florida of happening.
Agreed, my real point is if either of those 2 teams take one against any of the other 5 it could be very hard to overcome and still make ILT. Just something to watch/consider when trying to project out
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

If the ILT held at Franklin Field, there is a bonus. There is an upper deck that will offer protection in case of rain. It seems like a lot of games have been played in poor weather.

Go Quakers and Big Red !!! :D
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Important win for Yale over Penn today -- at 3-1 with two games left (Dartmouth and Princeton) Yale is still in the mix to contend for the regular season Ivy title (as are Cornell, Penn, and Princeton with Cornell in the pole position). And, more importantly, Yale looks to be on a strong path to at least four wins and a ticket to the Ivy League tournament. The Quakers did not play their best lacrosse today -- a few airmailed passes for unforced errors here and there and only 13 for 19 on clears -- but credit due to Yale as well for playing good lacrosse including absolutely dominating (38 to 16) on ground balls on a day when they only had a narrow (14 to 11) faceoff edge.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:14 pm Important win for Yale over Penn today -- at 3-1 with two games left (Dartmouth and Princeton) Yale is still in the mix to contend for the regular season Ivy title (as are Cornell, Penn, and Princeton with Cornell in the pole position). And, more importantly, Yale looks to be on a strong path to at least four wins and a ticket to the Ivy League tournament. The Quakers did not play their best lacrosse today -- a few airmailed passes for unforced errors here and there and only 13 for 19 on clears -- but credit due to Yale as well for playing good lacrosse including absolutely dominating (38 to 16) on ground balls on a day when they only had a narrow (14 to 11) faceoff edge.
Orfling,
I love your posts but am I missing something?

You State "Cornell in the pole position", and Cornell is 3-1, which is great but so is Penn, BUT Penn beat Cornell to hold that tiebreaker.

BUT, with multiple teams at 3-1, do you go to the TOTAL records against all of them so Cornell has wins over both Yale and Princeton, so when it's multiple teams tied, in actuality, Cornell indeed for now is 1st? Is that correct?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:55 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:14 pm Important win for Yale over Penn today -- at 3-1 with two games left (Dartmouth and Princeton) Yale is still in the mix to contend for the regular season Ivy title (as are Cornell, Penn, and Princeton with Cornell in the pole position). And, more importantly, Yale looks to be on a strong path to at least four wins and a ticket to the Ivy League tournament. The Quakers did not play their best lacrosse today -- a few airmailed passes for unforced errors here and there and only 13 for 19 on clears -- but credit due to Yale as well for playing good lacrosse including absolutely dominating (38 to 16) on ground balls on a day when they only had a narrow (14 to 11) faceoff edge.
Orfling,

You State "Cornell in the pole position", and Cornell is 3-1, which is great but so is Penn, BUT Penn beat Cornell to hold that tiebreaker.

BUT, with multiple teams at 3-1, do you go to the TOTAL records against all of them so Cornell has wins over both Yale and Princeton, so when it's multiple teams tied, in actuality, Cornell indeed for now is 1st? Is that correct?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Penn still has to play Princeton so if Princeton beats Penn and Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth, the IL tourney will be in Ithaca
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:00 pm
Orfling,

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Penn still has to play Princeton so if Princeton beats Penn and Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth, the IL tourney will be in Ithaca
I understand that BUT if both teams win out, then both are 5-1 and Penn holds the tiebreaker.

This to me would mean Penn is in the Pole position and not Cornell with, Penn having that tiebreaker.

I agree that Princeton will be a tough game for Penn, but Penn is certainly capable of beating Princeton and winning out.

Gobigred
JoeWillie
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Any Vegas odds on 5 teams at 4-2? I'd throw lunch money on that just for S & G.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 pm
Orfling,

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I understand that BUT if both teams win out, then both are 5-1 and Penn holds the tiebreaker.

This to me would mean Penn is in the Pole position and not Cornell with, Penn having that tiebreaker.

I agree that Princeton will be a tough game for Penn, but Penn is certainly capable of beating Princeton and winning out.

Gobigred
JoeWillie
But, knock on wood, Yale could also win out, and would have a win over Penn and a loss to Cornell. I think we need an expert on the tie-breaking rules.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Orfling,

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The unscientific part: Joewillie, I was being a little bit loose with my language/concepts. Based on who the teams have left to play, I am very unscientifically thinking that Cornell could very well stand alone at 5-1. Here's my thinking:
  • Cornell is 3-1 with Dartmouth and Harvard left; I see them as handling a competitive Dartmouth team and also predict they will beat Harvard (although Harvard with its dynamic duo of Teddy Malone and Sam King is certainly capable of getting the W).
  • Yale is 3-1 with Dartmouth and Princeton left; I see Yale also as being able to handle Dartmouth but they've really struggled with Princeton the past few years, it's both a match-up thing (really great middlies like Mackesy have been Kryptonite for Yale) and kind of a "they've got our number" thing. So I am thinking Yale probably ends up at 4-2.
  • Penn is 3-1 with Harvard and Princeton left; they could certainly win out but I feel like playing on the road vs. Princeton could be a tough one for them. And if you watched much Harvard lax this year (e.g. against UVA) it's clear they could also get a W although Penn will be favored at home. So I am guessing Penn may also end up at 4-2.
  • Princeton is 2-1 with Penn, Yale, and Brown left; they have the talent to beat all three but I am thinking there's a pretty good shot that either Penn or Yale knocks off the Tigers.
  • Harvard is 1-2 and has to play Cornell, Penn and Brown; they are capable of beating all of those teams but I think it would be a tall order, although not impossible of course (see Brown 2022) to beat all 3 of them.
The Rules:
  • Regular season champions: I am not sure of this, but it's my impression that the Ivy League just looks at the records for determining if teams get a share of the regular season Ivy Championship. So if Yale and Cornell both finished 5-1, or Princeton and Cornell both finished 5-1, Yale/Princeton would also be recognized by the league as sharing the Ivy League championship even though Cornell would have won the head to head matchup against either Yale/Princeton and certainly would have moral bragging rights. (Again, I'm not totally sure of this.)
  • Seeding for the tournament: For seeding for the Ivy League tournament, if only 2 teams have the same record (e.g. if Yale and Cornell both finished 5-1) the first tiebreaker is head-to-head and Cornell would get the #1 seed. You are correct, however, that if multiple teams have the same record -- like in 2022 when Yale, Brown, and Cornell all were 4-2 -- the first tiebreaker is which team has the best record against all the teams tied with the same record. "The highest seed will go to the team with the best cumulative record against all other teams tied at that spot." Right now the three teams at 3-1 (Cornell, Penn, and Yale) are all 1-1 against each other. In that case, the rules say "If multiple teams are tied with the same record, the tie between those teams will be broken on the basis of cumulative record against each other." I don't actually understand what that italicized tiebreaker language means because it sounds similar to "the highest seed will go to the team with the best cumulative record against all other teams tied at that spot"; maybe it means who has the highest W-L winning percentage in all Division I games on their schedule? Not sure. Anyway, once a seed is determined, the tiebreaker rules re-set. So if the teams were Cornell, Princeton and Yale tied with the same record, Cornell would get the top seed based on being 2-0 against the other 2 and then the next highest seed would go to the head-to-head winner of Yale-Princeton.
Clear as mud! But I think an Ivy tournament with Cornell, Penn, Princeton and Yale is coming more into focus. And to reiterate, I think Cornell has a great chance to finish 5-1 and to get the top seed in the Ivy tournament as well, either by being the only 5-1 team or via tiebreakers if there's only one other 5-1 team and that's Yale or Princeton. (If Cornell and Penn are the only two 5-1 teams, Penn would get the #1 tournament seed.)
Last edited by The Orfling on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

These are the Ivy league men's lax tournament tiebreakers from last year, I'm assuming they'll probably be used again this year: https://ivyleague.com/sports/2018/4/17/ ... 80748.aspx

The tiebreaking language that is confusing to me is 2(a) -- not the first part, but the part in the parenthesis -- I don't see how it's different from the first clause: "The highest seed will go to the team with the best cumulative record against all other teams tied at that spot. (If multiple teams are tied with the same record, the tie between those teams will be broken on the basis of cumulative record against each other)"
Last edited by The Orfling on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 pm
Orfling,

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
JoeWillie
Penn's game against Princeton looks tougher than Cornell's remaining IL games. Of course Cornell needs to be 1 game ahead of Penn to host the tourney.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Some strong performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:
Michael Long, Cornell: (2,1) 3 points vs Brown + (5,4) 9 points vs Syracuse = 12 points
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (2,1) 3 points vs Brown + (5,1) 6 points vs Syracuse = 9 points
Ryan Goldstien, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points vs Brown + (2,1) 3 points vs Syracuse = 8 points
Sam King, Harvard: (3,4) 7 points vs Dartmouth
Spencer Wirtheim, Cornell: (2,1) 3 points vs Brown + (2,2) 4 points vs Syracuse = 7 points
Nate Kabiri, Princeton: (3,2) 5 points vs Lehigh
Matt Brandau, Yale: (3,2) 5 points ve Penn
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell: (3,0) 3 points vs Brown + (1,1)2 points vs Syracuse = 5 points
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points vs Lehigh
Miles Botkiss, Harvard: (3,0) 3 points vs Dartmouth
Matt Krevsky, Yale: (2,1) 3 points vs Penn
James Shipley, Penn (2,1) 3 points vs Yale
Griffin Scale, Penn (1,2) 3 points vs Yale
Chad Palumbo, Princeton: 3 points vs Lehigh

Faceoffs:
Michael Ramsey, Yale: 8/11 = 73% vs Penn
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 15/21 = 71% vs Harvard
Marc Psyllos, Cornell: 8/16 = 50% vs Brown
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 6/16 = 60% vs Brown

Goalies:

Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 24 Saves (75%) + 9 saves (75%) vs Syracuse
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 11 saves (61%) vs Dartmouth
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 16 saves (57%)
Connor Theirault, Brown: 17 saves (55%) vs Cornell
Mason Morell, Dartmouth: 17 saves (55%) vs Harvard
Jared Paquette, Yale: 10 saves (53%) vs Penn
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 11 saves (52%) vs Lehigh
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Knust saved 75% in both games (9 of 12 against Syracuse and 24 of 32 against Brown). Quite a week.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Joey Spalina is at Princeton now?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:12 am Joey Spalina is at Princeton now?
The transfer portal works in mysterious ways.

Gobigred
JoeWillie
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:35 am

Gobigred
JoeWillie
Corrected with apologies.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:46 am

Gobigred
JoeWillie
Knust had 9 saves against Syracuse.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:30 am

Gobigred
JoeWillie
I'm sure that you are correct. I couldn't find the statistic. I used IL's statistics.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:09 am
Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:30 am

Gobigred
JoeWillie
I'm sure that you are correct. I couldn't find the statistic. I used IL's statistics.
Cornell's livestats box score
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Gobigred
JoeWillie
No need to apologize, FairCornell. Your compilation work here is much appreciated.
So, Colgate's big win yesterday over Army should put more of a gloss on Yale's early-season win over the toothpaste dudes (who of course also beat Penn State). Did Cornell also play Colgate this year? Big OOC games coming soon: Yale v Boston U and the marquee match-up on Long between Cornell and Notre Dame.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”