ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by nyjay »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:49 pm Some top performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

Cam Rubin, Penn: (6,0) 6 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (4,2) 6 points
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (2,3) 5 points
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (4,0) 4 points
Connor Mackesy, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points
Aiden McLane, Brown: (4,0) 4 points
Colin Burns, Princeton: (2,2) 4 points
Nate Kabiri, Princeton: (2,1) 3 points
Sam King, Harvard:(1,2) 3 points
Teddy Malone, Harvard: (2,1) 3 points
James Shipley, Penn: (1,2) 3 points
Lucas Stanat, Princeton: (1,2) 3 points

Face-off:

Mac Rodriguez, Yale: 17/21, 81%
Matt Baracco, Harvard: 11/18, 61%
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 11/18, 61%
Marc Phyllos, Cornell: 12/22, 55%

Goalies:

Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 14 saves, 88%
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 17 saves, 63%
Jared Paquette, Yale: 15 saves, 60%
Mason Morel, Dartmouth: 21 saves, 58%
Matt Tully, Cornell: 11 saves, 50%
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 10 saves, 43%

I'll check for errors and omissions tomorrow.
I notice you omitted defense. Much like the Ivy as a whole this year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:21 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:49 pm Some top performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

Cam Rubin, Penn: (6,0) 6 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (4,2) 6 points
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (2,3) 5 points
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (4,0) 4 points
Connor Mackesy, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points
Aiden McLane, Brown: (4,0) 4 points
Colin Burns, Princeton: (2,2) 4 points
Nate Kabiri, Princeton: (2,1) 3 points
Sam King, Harvard:(1,2) 3 points
Teddy Malone, Harvard: (2,1) 3 points
James Shipley, Penn: (1,2) 3 points
Lucas Stanat, Princeton: (1,2) 3 points

Face-off:

Mac Rodriguez, Yale: 17/21, 81%
Matt Baracco, Harvard: 11/18, 61%
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 11/18, 61%
Marc Phyllos, Cornell: 12/22, 55%

Goalies:

Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 14 saves, 88%
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 17 saves, 63%
Jared Paquette, Yale: 15 saves, 60%
Mason Morel, Dartmouth: 21 saves, 58%
Matt Tully, Cornell: 11 saves, 50%
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 10 saves, 43%

I'll check for errors and omissions tomorrow.
I notice you omitted defense. Much like the Ivy as a whole this year.
LOL! It's too much work to find the data... I'll try next week...
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Chalk up two more Ivy League out of conference wins; and both on second half comebacks. 2024: No lead is safe!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Perhaps Harvard's loss to UVA showed the difference in quality between the fifth-best Ivy team and one of the top two ACC teams. While the Cornell-Syracuse rivalry goes way back with a history of tremendous games, this year's game is an example of an Ivy team winning against an ACC school. After Brown, Cornell gets another ACC team, defending national champion Notre Dame. Yale still has OOC games against Boston University, who has come back into the national top 20, and Albany, who is undefeated in its conference.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Congrats to Cornell for a gutsy comeback but be careful about selective examples of interconference matchups. You stated “Harvard’s loss to UVA showed the difference in quality between the fifth-best IVY team and one of the top two ACC teams”…….. well what about the fifth ranked ACC team (UNC) soundly defeating Number One Penn. you cant selectively hilight games to “prove” your point. Wait until all the games are played and do a complete analysis. Cornells comeback was great but claiming that as an example of an IVY team winning against an ACC school is nothing more than selective vision and wishful thinking
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Laxfan23 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:46 pm Congrats to Cornell for a gutsy comeback but be careful about selective examples of interconference matchups. You stated “Harvard’s loss to UVA showed the difference in quality between the fifth-best IVY team and one of the top two ACC teams”…….. well what about the fifth ranked ACC team (UNC) soundly defeating Number One Penn. you cant selectively hilight games to “prove” your point. Wait until all the games are played and do a complete analysis. Cornells comeback was great but claiming that as an example of an IVY team winning against an ACC school is nothing more than selective vision and wishful thinking
One robin does not a spring make . . . but there were a lot of articles earlier in the season that it's "the ACC and everyone else." I still think odds on ND or UVA wins the national championship, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility to have an all-ACC Memorial Day weekend depending upon seeding and brackets, but with a few Ivy-over-ACC wins (Penn over Duke, Princeton over UNC, Cornell over 'Cuse), and Harvard hanging with UVA into the 4th quarter, there's more parity between the Ivy and the ACC than some expected in the off-season. I think most Ivy watchers feel like no Ivy team is probably complete or consistent enough to be considered a top 5-6 nationally, but as Ivy fans we're enjoying some of the "any given day" energy we're getting this year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

It's probably still too early to start thinking about Ivy League Tournament scenarios, but . . . just big picture, it seems to me that based on Ivy records so far and who is left to play, you can make the following groupings (debate and corrections welcome, and yes, I remember Brown in 2022 starting 0-2 and finishing 4-2!). Note: This is a little simplistic because if there's are multiple teams with the same record (say, 3-3) the tie-breaking procedure can be tricky, but the likeliest record logjam would be at 3-3 with Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, and Harvard has already lost both those teams so that would bump them out based upon the tie-breaking procedures.

Extremely strong likelihood to reach at least 4 wins and get into ILT
  • Cornell 2-1, remaining games vs. Brown, Dartmouth and Harvard
  • Penn 3-0, remaining games vs. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale
Strong likelihood to reach at least 4 wins and get into ILT
  • Princeton 2-1, remaining games vs. Brown, Penn, Yale
(note: Princeton would probably also be okay with 3 wins as they hold the tie-breaker over Harvard)

Strong likelihood to get reach at least 3 wins and have a tie-breaker advantage to get into ILT
  • Yale 2-1, remaining games vs. Dartmouth, Penn, and Princeton -- holds tie-breaker advantage over Harvard
Difficult path to three wins and/or dealing with tie-breaker disadvantage
  • Harvard 0-2, remaining games vs. Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn (but would lose a head-to-head 3-3 tiebreaker to Yale or Princeton and would also lose a 3-way 3-3 record tie-breaker if Princeton, Yale and Harvard were all at 3-3.
Extremely difficult path to three wins
  • Brown 0-2, remaining games vs. Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton
  • Dartmouth 0-2, remaining games Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Yale
With all of the above said, could Harvard, for example, capture four wins and vault into safe status for the ILT? Yes, they have the talent and could beat any of the Ivies left on their schedule on a given day -- but the difficult challenge would be beating ALL of the remaining teams. That's exactly what Brown did in 2022, so who knows?!
Last edited by The Orfling on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nms

Post by nms »

I believe the Ivy League is 3-3 vs ACC -
UVA beat Harvard on the road
Duke beat Princeton at home
UNC beat Penn at home
Princeton beat UNC on the road
Penn beat Duke on the road.
Cornell beat Syracuse at home

Cornell vs ND at neutral site still upcoming.

I am willing to concede that at this point the Ivies can't be ranked with ND and UVA, but I don't see why anyone would think that the rest of the ACC is light years ahead of the top Ivy schools, especially if Duke/Syracuse/UNC fail to beat ND/UVA.

Also, do UNC and Duke plan to reciprocate the Penn/Princeton pair of games on the road next year???????
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

nms wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:52 pm I believe the Ivy League is 3-3 vs ACC -
UNC beat Penn at home

I am willing to concede that at this point the Ivies can't be ranked with ND and UVA, but I don't see why anyone would think that the rest of the ACC is light years ahead of the top Ivy schools, especially if Duke/Syracuse/UNC fail to beat ND/UVA.

Also, do UNC and Duke plan to reciprocate the Penn/Princeton pair of games on the road next year???????
Only if they’re guaranteed dry conditions…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:03 pm
UNC beat Penn at home

Duke and Penn have been playing home and home series (alternating years) since 2018. Last year's game was at Penn. 2022 at Duke. 2020 at Penn
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 pm
UNC beat Penn at home

Duke and Penn have been playing home and home series (alternating years) since 2018. Last year's game was at Penn. 2022 at Duke. 2020 at Penn
It was a joke about the monsoon in NC.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:05 pm
UNC beat Penn at home

Off Topic…. Just watched Blade Runner with my daughter. She really liked it…. Will watch 2049 with her soon.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 pm
UNC beat Penn at home

Off Topic…. Just watched Blade Runner with my daughter. She really liked it…. Will watch 2049 with her soon.
Which version?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 pm
UNC beat Penn at home

Which version?
Director’s Cut
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:47 pm It's probably still too early to start thinking about Ivy League Tournament scenarios, but . . . just big picture, it seems to me that based on Ivy records so far and who is left to play, you can make the following groupings (debate and corrections welcome, and yes, I remember Brown in 2022 starting 0-2 and finishing 4-2!). Note: This is a little simplistic because if there's are multiple teams with the same record (say, 3-3) the tie-breaking procedure can be tricky, but the likeliest record logjam would be at 3-3 with Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, and Harvard has already lost both those teams so that would bump them out based upon the tie-breaking procedures.

Extremely strong likelihood to reach at least 4 wins and get into ILT
  • Cornell 2-1, remaining games vs. Brown, Dartmouth and Harvard
  • Penn 3-0, remaining games vs. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale
Strong likelihood to reach at least 4 wins and get into ILT
  • Princeton 2-1, remaining games vs. Brown, Penn, Yale
(note: Princeton would probably also be okay with 3 wins as they hold the tie-breaker over Harvard)

Strong likelihood to get reach at least 3 wins and have a tie-breaker advantage to get into ILT
  • Yale 2-1, remaining games vs. Dartmouth, Penn, and Princeton -- holds tie-breaker advantage over Harvard
Difficult path to three wins and/or dealing with tie-breaker disadvantage
  • Harvard 0-2, remaining games vs. Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn (but would lose a head-to-head 3-3 tiebreaker to Yale or Princeton and would also lose a 3-way 3-3 record tie-breaker if Princeton, Yale and Harvard were all at 3-3.
Extremely difficult path to three wins
  • Brown 0-2, remaining games vs. Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton
  • Dartmouth 0-2, remaining games Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Yale
With all of the above said, could Harvard, for example, capture four wins and vault into safe status for the ILT? Yes, they have the talent and could beat any of the Ivies left on their schedule on a given day -- but the difficult challenge would be beating ALL of the remaining teams. That's exactly what Brown did in 2022, so who knows?!

Big question is whether Brown or Dartmouth will get a win (outside of when they play each other). If they don’t I believe it is still possible for the other 5 teams to all finish 4-2.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

porkchop wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 pm Big question is whether Brown or Dartmouth will get a win (outside of when they play each other). If they don’t I believe it is still possible for the other 5 teams to all finish 4-2.
Hmmm, yes, mathematically, that looks possible. I'd say that has less than a hanging chad's chance in Florida of happening.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

UNC beat Penn at home

And only if the temperature is at least 50 degrees :D
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Massey ratings for this weekend's Ivy games:
  • Cornell at home with an 88% win probability against Brown, predicted margin 7 goals;
  • Harvard at home with a 93% win probability against Dartmouth, predicted margin 8 goals;
  • Yale at home with a 65% win probability against Penn, predicted margin 2 goals.
As a Yale fan I'd love for the prediction of a "W" over Penn to be correct but I'm a little surprised, even with Yale as the home team, that the Massey algorithm has Yale with the 65% win probability. Once again, a lot will probably depend on whether Yale can maximize possessions through face-offs and protect the ball on clears/offensive possessions. And Emmett Carroll is playing All-World in goal this year so even for a great offense that's quite a challenge.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:37 pm Massey ratings for this weekend's Ivy games:
  • Cornell at home with an 88% win probability against Brown, predicted margin 7 goals;
  • Harvard at home with a 93% win probability against Dartmouth, predicted margin 8 goals;
  • Yale at home with a 65% win probability against Penn, predicted margin 2 goals.
As a Yale fan I'd love for the prediction of a "W" over Penn to be correct but I'm a little surprised, even with Yale as the home team, that the Massey algorithm has Yale with the 65% win probability. Once again, a lot will probably depend on whether Yale can maximize possessions through face-offs and protect the ball on clears/offensive possessions. And Emmett Carroll is playing All-World in goal this year so even for a great offense that's quite a challenge.
I guess Massey's computer likes home teams. Penn seems to have the best chance of an Ivy road win this weekend, even if it's been a long time since the Quakers have beaten Yale at Reese. The 2016 and 2022 Penn @ Yale games saw the Bulldogs win in overtime. And who can forget that 2019 NCAA quarter-final OT Yale win, when Tigh got knocked down, but got up and got off the shot that won the game? I won't be able to attend this Saturday's game, but it should be a good one.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:12 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:37 pm Massey ratings for this weekend's Ivy games:
I guess Massey's computer likes home teams. Penn seems to have the best chance of an Ivy road win this weekend, even if it's been a long time since the Quakers have beaten Yale at Reese. The 2016 and 2022 Penn @ Yale games saw the Bulldogs win in overtime. And who can forget that 2019 NCAA quarter-final OT Yale win, when Tigh got knocked down, but got up and got off the shot that won the game? I won't be able to attend this Saturday's game, but it should be a good one.
I agree that Massey's calculations favor home teams quite a bit. Having seen Yale play in person, I like their chances against Penn. Mac Rodriguez is an excellent fogo, and Yale's talent on offense is really stellar, even with injuries.

While Cornell bested Yale in Ithaca, field conditions likely favored the Big Red, and Cornell simply played a remarkably good game on offense.

Whatever happens, it seems like the ILT will be high quality lacrosse.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”