US U20 Team

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

US U20 Team

Post by njbill »

99 players have been invited to tryouts this summer for the US’s U20 national team. The world championships will be played in Hong Kong next summer.

The tournament was last held in 2019 and has now been changed from U19 to U20. The US team apparently has continued its practice from the last time of inviting college players to participate, something that now makes even more sense with the age change.

https://usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insider/ ... 0-national
whyamihere

Re: US U20 Team

Post by whyamihere »

that list is not the 99 best U20 players in the US. there are quite a few college freshmen that had great years not on the list and there are quite a few that should not be on that list. US lacrosse has become a joke.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Bear in mind that kids had to apply (and pay) for consideration to try out. Not sure if former NTDP selects received any preference. Age restriction may leave some freshman ineligible, as well.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

And if memory serves from 2019 the coaching staff has discretion to invite any player they would like join the roster or come to training camp.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

I’m not calling anyone out But some are ridiculous You invite a kid that only started 2 games at a subpar program and scored 7 goals all season? That’s a joke
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

It will be interesting to see how those considered top HS recruits compare head-to-head with kids who have a year (or two) of college lax experience. Not something you get to evaluate very often--rising high school seniors v rising D1 sophomores.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Happened last time. Off the top of my head, Wurzberger and Smith made the team. Turned out to be pretty darn good college players.

After the fiasco in 2015, I imagine US Lacrosse saw the wisdom of going with age eligible players even if they were in college. Prior to that, it was all high school kids.

In 2015 a rising junior made the team (Andie Aldave).

The process isn’t perfect. Mistakes are made. The biggest one of all time obviously was Taylor Cummings in 2011. Scane got cut last time but was reinstated after, I imagine, KAH got a look at her in fall ball.
bhall123

Post by bhall123 »

The selection process like most has a bias built in but of all the selections the Women's U20 (formerly U19) is the most open of all the USA teams, judging from the previous round in 2018. Since the coaching staff is much the same I expect it to work as before.

The mandate of the previous 2019 championship team was to bring back the cup which was lost in 2015. The 2015 team was hand picked like it always had been primarily from the ranks of top Baltimore area high school teams with the addition of select talent mostly from the Northeast. The 2015 team was also coached by HS coaches. This system worked until 2015, when they lost in the final game to the Canadians. Thus the overhaul for 2019, organized by top college coaches.

For the 2019 team 105 athletes were chosen to tryout from an applicant pool of over 500, each submitting video. Many top athletes presumably didn't apply, because they thought weren't good enough, didn't feel they could qualify because of the college play restrictions, or just didn't want to. My daughter was on the fence and we had to convince her.

I understand the arguments that better players or athletes should have been selected, but I also guess (and have heard) that the coaches were looking for a certain type of player for a certain type of play and not all players fit that mold. The best analogy might be the selection of the 1980 US Men's Olympic Hockey Team, where they are looking not for a team of superstars as much as a team of players that play well together under a specific style of play and listen to the coaches. As a side note at the Word Championship in Peterborough, I heard many comments about the relatively small size of the US team when compared the other international teams, as well as their lightning fast ball movement. Speed over size was the deciding factor in the 2019 championships.

The 105 applicants were played head-to-head for three days straight in August 2018 and the training team of 36 players was selected on the final day. I'm sure each player had a different strategy on how to get noticed, but my daughter's strategy was with the depth of talent and her lesser known brand she simply had to outperform all the goalies for a spot. Several players left the field grumbling they had never been cut from anything before. The tryouts are closed so you can never be sure what factors play in, but the hard three-day session under the Baltimore Summer sun may have separated out some top talent.

From there the 36 player practice was whittled down and added to following a fall ball session at Navy, a NCAA preseason session at Stanford, a post NCAA season session in Baltimore and a final training session at Northwestern in July before the team went to Canada. Megan Carney and Izzy Scane were added back in the Spring and other adjustments made until the Summer when the final 18 were selected. Ultimately the team was successful in getting the Gold back, so I don't think they'll deviate from the formula this time around.

It's interesting that USA Lacrosse prided itself on the "diversity" of the 2019 team, but that was geographical diversity, which is an indication that the stranglehold was broken on selecting talent only from one part of the country. This also appeals to a broader market in growing the sport. I don't believe that this "diversity" was a goal or selection criteria as much as a result of the process. Finally, I was hoping that the expanded tryout format of 100 players would be extended to the US National Team, but that remains a pretty closed club and will be until the US loses its competitive edge internationally, although the loss to the Canadian's in Sixes didn't appear to wake anyone up like the 2015 U19 loss.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think the main problem in 2015 was US Lacrosse’s insistence (consistent with long-standing practice) on using high school players, not all age eligible players. Looking back at the team, I see that Sam Apuzzo was an alternate. Wow. I don’t remember that, maybe because I didn’t know who she was at the time. In retrospect, I think we kind of would’ve liked to have had her on the main team.

In 2015, the Canadiens were led by Selena Lasota, who was Charlotte North before North. She had played, I think, at least one year in college. One year of college experience is huge at the U19 level. Had the US used all age eligible players, Marie McCool could’ve been on the team. So, playing Monday morning quarterback, if we had had Apuzzo and McCool on the team, I like our chances against the Canadiens, even with Lasota.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good stuff, BHall. Thanks!

And congrats to your daughter on a remarkable ride. Having had the privilege of meeting her a few times, I know that you must be infinitely proud of her character and integrity -- not to mention athletic prowess. Given the wide range of her experiences over the past six years, I am confident she can handle just about anything out in the real world.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

USL did exactly the same move with the Mens U19s after they won in Finland in 2012 but lost 2 games in the round robin and had to play into the finals. It coincided with the retirement of long time GM Tom Flatley and HS coaches were no longer considered for coaching staff and replaced by OSU mens coach who has now worked two consecutive tournaments. Interesting to note that he (the team) had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to come from behind and defeat the favored Canadians in 2016 on their home turf in Coquitlam BC.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:53 pm I think the main problem in 2015 was US Lacrosse’s insistence (consistent with long-standing practice) on using high school players, not all age eligible players. Looking back at the team, I see that Sam Apuzzo was an alternate. Wow. I don’t remember that, maybe because I didn’t know who she was at the time. In retrospect, I think we kind of would’ve liked to have had her on the main team.

In 2015, the Canadiens were led by Selena Lasota, who was Charlotte North before North. She had played, I think, at least one year in college. One year of college experience is huge at the U19 level. Had the US used all age eligible players, Marie McCool could’ve been on the team. So, playing Monday morning quarterback, if we had had Apuzzo and McCool on the team, I like our chances against the Canadiens, even with Lasota.
Coaching was the real issue for the 2015 team. The head coach mentioned that she didnt take Lasota seriously, hadn't really watched her play. And didnt think she was any kind of offensive threat. Appuzzo did not have good tryouts, has a tough style of passing and didn't gel with the team. Hence alternate. In retrospect im sure she could have helped the team win. But that, to my knowledge is what happened.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can’t speak to why Apuzzo was only an alternate, but my recollection about Lasota is entirely different. It was well known that she was Canada’s top offensive threat. Even I knew that. I was worried about her even before the event began.

She had had a blockbuster freshman year. Take a look at the accolades in her NU bio from her freshman year, which was the spring before the 2015 U19 tournament was held. Big 10 freshman of the year. Second team All American. 69 goals. And more.

https://nusports.com/sports/womens-lacr ... asota/8195
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:04 pm Can’t speak to why Apuzzo was only an alternate, but my recollection about Lasota is entirely different. It was well known that she was Canada’s top offensive threat. Even I knew that. I was worried about her even before the event began.

She had had a blockbuster freshman year. Take a look at the accolades in her NU bio from her freshman year, which was the spring before the 2015 U19 tournament was held. Big 10 freshman of the year. Second team All American. 69 goals. And more.

https://nusports.com/sports/womens-lacr ... asota/8195
I knew about Lasota. I am telling you what was overheard from the US team head coach. That was what was so baffling. Everyone knew she was good.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sounds unlikely, but if you heard that directly, OK.

The players knew about her. They certainly were playing as though they were taking her seriously. Absolutely were taking her seriously in the final game.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:28 pm Sounds unlikely, but if you heard that directly, OK.

The players knew about her. They certainly were playing as though they were taking her seriously. Absolutely were taking her seriously in the final game.
unlikely but accurate. She (coach) never put or tried to put a face guard on Lasota. Just let her do her thing.
njbill

Post by njbill »

My memory and theory as to why the US team lost is different from yours. (Forgive me if I am assuming incorrectly that your belief is the team lost because of coaching.) Sure, when a team loses a championship game it was expected to win, fingers get pointed at the coach. And, yes, I would agree the 2015 coaches were not at KAH’s level.

Pretty sure I remember watching the game which I likely would have if video coverage was available. Here’s the box score.

https://d2axmwxyhrv2a1.cloudfront.net/2 ... SA-CAN.pdf

It’s obviously impossible from just the box score to tell how Lasota was defended, who marked her, or if a face guard (or other special defense) would have been warranted.

My impression after the game, and it hasn’t changed, is that we didn’t get it done down the stretch. We had our chances. It was a winnable game that we didn’t win. I don’t remember thinking that the coaches had screwed up in the way we were defending Lasota. Don’t remember if we played man or some type of zone.

Canada used older, more experienced (i.e., college) players (not just Lasota, but Erica Evans and maybe others as well) while we only had high school kids. It was reminiscent of how many years ago the USA Olympic basketball team was only comprised of college players. After we got beat, we started sending the pros.

I still think if we had used college kids, we would’ve won the game. If any Canadians are reading, yes, that’s still sour grapes.
Insidelax33

Post by Insidelax33 »

I think the college talent coming in and the expansion of age range is a bad thing long term. Canada does not produce womens lacrosse players like the men do. USA will win every game by 8 goals or more.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Training team selected. 42 players named.

Some of my favorites made it so I’m happy.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/news-media- ... ining-team
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Breakdown per school:

Northwestern-7
Boston College-6
North Carolina-6
Maryland-3
Army-2
Stanford-2
Michigan-2