Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

Post by MVPiccoli »

Saw this thread in the DI forum and thought we'd have some interesting jawns to talk about.

Cabrini, for me as a alumni/fan, would be the 2009 2nd Round Game @ Stevenson. 8-7 loss. Lots of history with VJC/Stevenson dating back to 2002. They were in the throes of their come up with a juiced roster and TONS of chirping. We had Grugan, Skulski, Moore, and some deep Delco roots within that roster. Colf and staff did a remarkable job that year. Underrated middie B.J. Kletcheck had the ball on the crease in a 1v1 with their keeper with little time left and came up short. No fault of his own, just a great play by the keeper. That one stuck with me.
Nosey Ned

Re: Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

Post by Nosey Ned »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:30 am Saw this thread in the DI forum and thought we'd have some interesting jawns to talk about.

Cabrini, for me as a alumni/fan, would be the 2009 2nd Round Game @ Stevenson. 8-7 loss. Lots of history with VJC/Stevenson dating back to 2002. They were in the throes of their come up with a juiced roster and TONS of chirping. We had Grugan, Skulski, Moore, and some deep Delco roots within that roster. Colf and staff did a remarkable job that year. Underrated middie B.J. Kletcheck had the ball on the crease in a 1v1 with their keeper with little time left and came up short. No fault of his own, just a great play by the keeper. That one stuck with me.
As a Denison fan, this is easy. For me, it's the 2017 National Semifinal versus Salisbury. Denison came into the game having won 18 straight after an opening day loss to W&L. The Big Red had just dispatched the red hot Lynchburg Hornets 18-9 in the Qs. A game no one thought they'd win. So on to the Eastern Shore to play the defending National Champion Salisbury Seagulls. No one expected Denison to even be competitive, yet alone actually match up with Coach Berkman's team. Afterall, SU was 20 and 1 and were crushing their opponents in both the CAC and NCAA Tournament to that point, winning all those games by 10-12 goal margins. But Denison went there to not just compete with the best, but, girded by the previous year's loss in OT to these very same Gulls on this very same field, came to win! Down 6-10 after 3Qs ... Denison started turning the tables, and cut it to a 1 goal game (11-12 SU) with 2:50 to play. After losing the ensuing FO, Denison made a stop and with under 1 minute left, gained possession of the ball in their offense zone. Coach Caravana calls time out. The Denison faithful were going crazy, I'm sure the Seagull faithful wanted the clock to keep running. Many criticized the play called out of the TO, but sitting in the stands, the call made sense to me. It had Rooney, one of D3s best facilitators with 88 assists on the season, looking for the back door cut off GLE of Butler, the 65 goal scoring best finisher on the team. Unfortunately, SU was looking for it too and a very nice game saving interception of the pass by the SU pole squashed our hopes of a trip to the National Championship. I'm certain, had the pass made it through to the crease, Butler would have buried the rock and the Big Red would have gone on to win that game - they had all the momentum in that 4th Q.

That was arguably the best team Denison had ever fielded and probably our best chance to date of a National Championship!

Still stings!

Of course the OT loss in 2016 referenced above in the Quarter Finals was a very close 2nd heartbreaker. But that was only the Q finals so the Championship game wasn't as close to our grasp as 2017 so '17 takes it for me.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Former player.... WOTS 2019- WAC losing in double overtime. One of the biggest crowds I have seen at any game I've been apart of. Had the game in our hands going into the 4th quarter but there is a reason Salisbury is Salisbury! We were not having the best season but that is one loss that really really stung.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

This one is tough as a CNU fan. Even though we don't have as much history as all of these other top programs since we are relatively new, we have definitely had some heart breakers.

The first that comes to mind is the 2018 sweet sixteen against Salisbury. Leading 10-3 in the 3rd quarter, the CNU Captains could smell their first ever victory at Seagull stadium. The Offense was clicking, the defense was lock down, and CNU's goalie was unbeatable. The hopes and dreams were ended quickly as the Seagulls went on a 9-0 run before the Captains scored one late in the game. Salisbury ended up winning the game 12-11, but CNU had a wide open look with a few seconds left and just couldn't bury it. This one hurt because this was CNU's first year of actually being a nationally completive team and they had two 1 goal losses to Salisbury that year.

The second one that comes to mind is pretty obvious: CNU's OT loss to York in the Elite Eight in 2022. After going down 6-2, the Captains used a 7-2 second half run to take the lead at 9-8 late in the 4th quarter. York was able to score one more to tie it up 9-9 while heading into OT. CNU gets first possession and gets not 1... not 2... THREE good looks at the cage. Jack Michael was on fire that game for York and stuffed them the CNU shooters all game long. York ended up picking off a pass and got a wide open look in an unsettled offensive look to bury the goal and end the Captains chances at a National Title. I still believe that if it weren't for Jack Michael making 5 or 6 door step saves, CNU would have went on to play RIT in the ship. Not sure if they would've won or not, but they matched up really well with Union.

The reason the York game was so painful is because CNU had one of the better D3 teams I have seen over the past few years in 2022. When they were on, they were on. Anyone who saw them live would agree.
Some of their Notable Wins:
Beat #1 Salisbury 17-7
Beat #7 Lynchburg 17-12
Beat #10 Gettysburg 17-11 (lead 15-3 before pulling starters)
Beat #19 Ursinus 16-5
Beat #16 Williams 15-2
Beat #14 Wesleyan 21-8
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

As much as I’d love to pick something irrelevant from my era, it’s got to be-

2019 York’s 10-11 OT loss to eventual champion Cabrini in the elite 8.

York had beaten:
#2 Salisbury
#6 Gettysburg
#12 W&L (x2)
#13 CNU
#17 Stevenson
#19 Lynchburg
….Oh, and #8 Cabrini

York was in full control of this game at the half, up 5-1. Cabrini began to claw back in the 3rd with Jordan Krug beginning to help his team dominate possession time. York still held a 7-4 lead heading into the 4th, but Krug would not be denied. He brought energy like no other for that Cabrini team, scoring 2 of their 6 goals in the 4th. The teams traded goals down the stretch, with Cavaliers tying it up at 51 seconds left to play. OT saw Cabrini quickly force York to turn it over, and then Gerzabek potted the diving OT winner for the Cavs. Thus putting an end not only to a fantastic season that felt destined for so much more, but also to several stellar York playing careers.

That one hurt. A lot.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ThirdString

Post by ThirdString »

Not necessarily a fan of either but Roanoke Vs Lynchburg 2007 (Noke 17-burg 16)

Lynchburg up 4 I believe with a minute left and lost in the opening seconds of OT. Still not sure why this game doesn’t get mentioned more often. Not a recap on either teams website, would do anything for that last barrage to get put online.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

2006 National Championship game, Gulls are the favorite against a Cortland team. SU would’ve won four straight which would’ve been the first time they did that.

It was my first and only trek to Lincoln Financial Field. Big Ben Gable was a brick wall for Cortland that day and the Red Dragons won in OT.

I had planned to stay for the D2 game that afternoon, but decided to trek home and enjoy the quiet.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:13 pm The first that comes to mind is the 2018 sweet sixteen against Salisbury. Leading 10-3 in the 3rd quarter, the CNU Captains could smell their first ever victory at Seagull stadium. The Offense was clicking, the defense was lock down, and CNU's goalie was unbeatable. The hopes and dreams were ended quickly as the Seagulls went on a 9-0 run before the Captains scored one late in the game. Salisbury ended up winning the game 12-11, but CNU had a wide open look with a few seconds left and just couldn't bury it. This one hurt because this was CNU's first year of actually being a nationally completive team and they had two 1 goal losses to Salisbury that year.
This was the last game I got to see in person with my Dad before he passed (both big SU fans) and it was a helluva game.

If I remember correctly, the last chance there was like 3 seconds on the clock and I said, that’s it, no chance for CNU. The clock operator for SU started the clock way late and when the game ended, it looked like Coach Berkman wanted to murder the clock operator. He was gesturing up to the press box because the slow clock (like full second or two) allowed CNU this better opportunity.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Far and away 2006 Salisbury's loss to Cortland. But this may have fueled the 2007-2008 undefeated teams.

On the flip side, some moments going the other way that brought happiness to me and no doubt crushed others.

2016 and 2017 Salisbury wins over Denison. Nosey Ned was spot on in his assessment, these were fantastic Big Red teams, probably the best since the 2008 squad.

2008 Double OT Salisbury win over Gettysburg in the Final 4. Also, the regular season clash was pretty insane as well. This was one of Gettysburg's best teams. The Bullets rebounded nicely in 2009 by completely controlling the Gulls regular season game and making it all the way to the finals before falling to Cortland.

2005 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury by scoring 3 goals in the final 5.5 minutes to win 11 10. Chris Phillips for the win!

2003 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury. Gulls 9-4 at the half, Middlebury ties it up at 13, only to lose 14 13. Chris Phillips for the win!

Sorry Midd fans, didn't mean to bring them up but these were epic matchups that could have gone either way.

Give me 10 goals and I can rewrite D3 lacrosse legacies. So many "so close" moments for so many.
richard

Post by richard »

2006 was a great year. Cortland, Salisbury and Roanoke were a you pickem threesome.
I figure if I was writing checks to some school that I could claim them as my team. I was writing checks to Noke and SLU.

Early in the season SLU and Salisbury played in Fla. Gulls were up 8-7 in the fourth. SLU has the ball with about 2 minutes to go.
SLU gets a good shot off. Gull goalie saves it with his pants. Gulls clear it and score their 9th with about 30 seconds left. Tough to take for a hater like me.

Same year in the tournament Noke takes on the Gulls in the semifinals at the sandbox. The game is going the Gulls way and Noke goes on a roll. Berkman decides to slow the game down but Noke stays hot and has the Gulls number. Regular time ends with a tie game. OT and both teams have their chances but both goalies really step up. Gulls finally get one past Madalone. I’ve seen hundreds if not thousands of games D1, D3, high school,midget and all. This is the best game I’ve ever watched but really tough to take.
The take away for me was that Noke would have beaten Cortland, they matched up better than Salisbury.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:53 pm As much as I’d love to pick something irrelevant from my era, it’s got to be-

2019 York’s 10-11 OT loss to eventual champion Cabrini in the elite 8.

York had beaten:
#2 Salisbury
#6 Gettysburg
#12 W&L (x2)
#13 CNU
#17 Stevenson
#19 Lynchburg
….Oh, and #8 Cabrini

York was in full control of this game at the half, up 5-1. Cabrini began to claw back in the 3rd with Jordan Krug beginning to help his team dominate possession time. York still held a 7-4 lead heading into the 4th, but Krug would not be denied. He brought energy like no other for that Cabrini team, scoring 2 of their 6 goals in the 4th. The teams traded goals down the stretch, with Cavaliers tying it up at 51 seconds left to play. OT saw Cabrini quickly force York to turn it over, and then Gerzabek potted the diving OT winner for the Cavs. Thus putting an end not only to a fantastic season that felt destined for so much more, but also to several stellar York playing careers.

That one hurt. A lot.
Gerzabek is just a pure winner. PA State Champ (fabulous Springfield squad took down LaSalle), Natty. What a grinder of a player. We were obviously elated on the other side, but that York roster was special. Childs is a gem.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

D3 Fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:49 pm Far and away 2006 Salisbury's loss to Cortland. But this may have fueled the 2007-2008 undefeated teams.

On the flip side, some moments going the other way that brought happiness to me and no doubt crushed others.

2016 and 2017 Salisbury wins over Denison. Nosey Ned was spot on in his assessment, these were fantastic Big Red teams, probably the best since the 2008 squad.

2008 Double OT Salisbury win over Gettysburg in the Final 4. Also, the regular season clash was pretty insane as well. This was one of Gettysburg's best teams. The Bullets rebounded nicely in 2009 by completely controlling the Gulls regular season game and making it all the way to the finals before falling to Cortland.

2005 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury by scoring 3 goals in the final 5.5 minutes to win 11 10. Chris Phillips for the win!

2003 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury. Gulls 9-4 at the half, Middlebury ties it up at 13, only to lose 14 13. Chris Phillips for the win!

Sorry Midd fans, didn't mean to bring them up but these were epic matchups that could have gone either way.

Give me 10 goals and I can rewrite D3 lacrosse legacies. So many "so close" moments for so many.
I was rooting for the Gulls in that '06 game. I always felt a "what if" with regards to Chris Phillips. Hell of a player. Could have have 4 in a row.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:13 pm The second one that comes to mind is pretty obvious: CNU's OT loss to York in the Elite Eight in 2022. After going down 6-2, the Captains used a 7-2 second half run to take the lead at 9-8 late in the 4th quarter. York was able to score one more to tie it up 9-9 while heading into OT. CNU gets first possession and gets not 1... not 2... THREE good looks at the cage. Jack Michael was on fire that game for York and stuffed them the CNU shooters all game long. York ended up picking off a pass and got a wide open look in an unsettled offensive look to bury the goal and end the Captains chances at a National Title. I still believe that if it weren't for Jack Michael making 5 or 6 door step saves, CNU would have went on to play RIT in the ship. Not sure if they would've won or not, but they matched up really well with Union.

The reason the York game was so painful is because CNU had one of the better D3 teams I have seen over the past few years in 2022. When they were on, they were on. Anyone who saw them live would agree.
Some of their Notable Wins:
Beat #1 Salisbury 17-7
Beat #7 Lynchburg 17-12
Beat #10 Gettysburg 17-11 (lead 15-3 before pulling starters)
Beat #19 Ursinus 16-5
Beat #16 Williams 15-2
Beat #14 Wesleyan 21-8
Jack Michael definitely stood on his head at the end of that one. That CNU team was great, definitely looked to be a world beater that year. They kept so much of that talent too, great assembly of guys.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:37 pm Gerzabek is just a pure winner. PA State Champ (fabulous Springfield squad took down LaSalle), Natty. What a grinder of a player. We were obviously elated on the other side, but that York roster was special. Childs is a gem.
That right there was a Cabrini squad. Krug, Gerzabek. A force.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

If I'm not mistaken a few of Cabrini's top guys were injured in the middle of the season and Cabrini was handled by the Gulls and Spartans in the regular season. I think both squads were caught off guards when they played a completely healthy Cabrini in the tournament.

2006 National Championship for me too. Gulls had won 69 in a row. I remember walking into the Stadium and seeing a number of people wearing 70 straight win T-Shirts(Or something along those lines) and obviously that didn't happen. That's one of the moments that has fueled my crazy sports superstitions.

There is/was (can't find it right now) a great YouTube video where Berkman breaks down the final minute of regulation/overtime of that game. He points out a couple of Gull mistakes and a few questionable/wrong calls by the officials. They play the broadcast side by side so you can see he is correct. I think it's called 'The one that got away". It's pretty interesting.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

When Lynchburg gave up 4 goals in the last minute of regulation then lost right off the face-off in OT against Roanoke in 2007.

Not sure that will ever be topped in any sport at any level with any of my teams, professionally or collegiately.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

4/12/23 Kean up 7-0 at half against Stockton, lost 14-12.
Last edited by laxdad1434 on Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

May 25, 1974

Generals were beating Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field, National Semifinals,10-7, into the 4th quarter. Hopkins comes back, with some questionable in the crease violations, one by Franz W. that wasn't called, and another one, and wins 11-10. But, what hurt the most, W&L was second ranked in the country at the end of the season, and undefeated, Hopkins was ranked 3rd, with 2 losses. BUT, the NCAA committee seeded Hopkins 2nd and W&L 3rd. As evidence of common opponents, that season, W&L played and beat both Navy and UVA, both on the road, Hopkins lost to both teams, and both teams beat Princeton and Washington College. But, the lower seeding meant that W&L could not host Hopkins in Lexington, where the administration was preparing for upwards of 15,000 fans to descend on Lexington, if those 2 teams won their quarterfinals games, which they did, to see the Generals. Just the month before in Charlottesville against UVA, there was over 10,000 fans at Scott Stadium, most for W&L, to watch a 13-11 Generals win. To be fair, the last week of the season, Hopkins did beat Number 1 MD but selection should be based on your entire season, not one week, which apparently is what that NCAA committee did and it was not fair at all.

valaxfan

PS: After the Hopkins game and the questionable non calls for crease violations, many started calling Homewood, Homer Field.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

VALaxFan, that is an incredible pull. I would love to grab a time machine and see that decade of ball live. Before my era. I forget sometimes how storied the W&L program truly is...very cool. Mind blowing that given all those great teams no one brought home a 'ship.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:10 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:37 pm Gerzabek is just a pure winner. PA State Champ (fabulous Springfield squad took down LaSalle), Natty. What a grinder of a player. We were obviously elated on the other side, but that York roster was special. Childs is a gem.
The leadership stands out from the 2019 class. Timmy Brooks contributed to the culture and program in an immeasurable way. Fantastic comeback story. Kostack lineage...Deluca locking down Wolf... just so many talented players totally bought in. Very rare.

Watching the buses pull up to the Linc was tribal. I envy Salisbury having that kind of feeling and reunion so frequently.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”