Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by oldbartman »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:16 pm Did you think Bart got away with some warding off today?
I sure did (not complaining about it). Seems as if refs
have forgotten about that call....see Duke. Pretty hard
for me to imagine that the refs would favor Cuse up at
the Boz.
Ok... what do you call taking an obvious goal away with no explanation?. 3 Bart players knocked down from behind in Q3, (not during faceoffs). No calls. Bart bumps a Cornell guy who stumbles and doesn't fall. Penalty on Bart... need I go on?? Or how about Cuse's constant moving picks? Warding off?? Spallina has perfected that. IMO, if this game had been called fairly, it could have ended differently. We may not have won, but it certainly would have been a hell of a lot closer. You may want to check the zebra's Draft kings accts.
bjred

Post by bjred »

Any way to catch a replay of the game? Or does someone have a clip of the goal that was waved off? SU play by play says Pattersons shot was wide, and the Hobart play by play doesn't even show that he took a shot.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I don't think Hobart got away with any more warding than SU did, but I agree that the refs have forgotten about that call. Between offset heads, pinched throats, warding, and the readiness to throw flags for slashes, the game has swung way too far in favor of offense, IMHO. Time for new rules on sticks. Flatten the pocket.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:47 am I don't think Hobart got away with any more warding than SU did, but I agree that the refs have forgotten about that call. Between offset heads, pinched throats, warding, and the readiness to throw flags for slashes, the game has swung way too far in favor of offense, IMHO. Time for new rules on sticks. Flatten the pocket.
You forgot sick hold and grippy balls. Completely agree, it's not a level playing field, the O has a big advantage with these sticks and the leniency on the warding call just adds to the advantage. Would love to see there be one stick in the game, the women's.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

There are calls in every game that are judgment calls(some would say “bad” calls ;) ). My complaint is: why is an SU alum allowed to officiate his Alma mater? And, he has officiated numerous SU games over the years—and he played football there! I’m sure he’s an excellent official, but it does make one wonder…

Don’t forget Hobart was two men up in the first half and butchered it with a foolish “outside-in” pass. Really need to convert in that situation!
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

One of the many problems Hobart has, is saddled with playing lacrosse in Jan, Feb and March in Geneva NY.

This Syracuse game was played on a field surrounded by snow banks and a crowd of just over 700......freaking snow banks!....thanks to them for showing up in their winter gear and gloves to cheer the team on.

It is ridiculous to play at this time of year. Yes we have sports complex, but eh, no fans, no atmosphere, no home court advantage what so ever. Syracuse has an actual dome and is an outlier. All other schools in the upstate east coast area have the same problem....playing a spring time game in the winter....how stupid

From a recruiting stand point, why would a player want to come the cold and snow and play?

This change to "winter" lacrosse also took away the valued and fun, 2 week spring trip. This trip provided team bonding, building and a great time for comradery....all that is gone and over time has hurt the program. The team is stuck in the dorms with no one around in a cold, dreary time of year in upstate NY.

I congratulate the players and coaches who have to deal with playing winter lacrosse....perhaps the team can stay strong and do some good in the A10.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:02 am
Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:47 am I don't think Hobart got away with any more warding than SU did, but I agree that the refs have forgotten about that call. Between offset heads, pinched throats, warding, and the readiness to throw flags for slashes, the game has swung way too far in favor of offense, IMHO. Time for new rules on sticks. Flatten the pocket.
You forgot sick hold and grippy balls. Completely agree, it's not a level playing field, the O has a big advantage with these sticks and the leniency on the warding call just adds to the advantage. Would love to see there be one stick in the game, the women's.
I would love to see that ... but keep poles.
Also agree on winter lacrosse, though by late March yesterday could have been a beautiful day.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Congratulation to the Hockey team..... a repeat of the NCAA D3 championship. One thing about winning a championship it draws good players to the program with maybe a ring. Maybe that's why our lacrosse team did so well in the glory days..... maybe a ring. D1 is tough. It seems we're just glad to get an invitation. And going back to D3 would be tough for all the good programs in D3.
Last edited by SMAIN on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 pm
Also agree on winter lacrosse, though by late March yesterday could have been a beautiful day.
Agree, keep the men's game the same, just put the women's heads on the stick. Would really be a much better game if that were to happen. Truer to the game, much more movement and passing. Aint never gonna happen.

Completely agree with soothi. If it's a nice day I'm at that game yesterday but in those conditions, not a chance.
Jan, Feb, March lacrosse just isn't good in these parts. Hear all the crap about Cuse and their Dome but count me all in and it's real hard for me to believe teams coming in would rather play outside like at Bart (or a whole bunch of places around these parts). Love the Boz....in April, May. Have watched some mighty good lacrosse there in the days of yore, fantastic place, great fans.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:20 pm
Agree, keep the men's game the same, just put the women's heads on the stick. Would really be a much better game if that were to happen. Truer to the game, much more movement and passing. Aint never gonna happen.

Completely agree with soothi. If it's a nice day I'm at that game yesterday but in those conditions, not a chance.
Jan, Feb, March lacrosse just isn't good in these parts. Hear all the crap about Cuse and their Dome but count me all in and it's real hard for me to believe teams coming in would rather play outside like at Bart (or a whole bunch of places around these parts). Love the Boz....in April, May. Have watched some mighty good lacrosse there in the days of yore, fantastic place, great fans.
Uh,, DMac.. We've played numerous games in the bubble. Doubt any players or coaches are complaining about playing there. Yes the "dome" is a more fan friendly environment, especially if your a Cuse fan. The players want to play. I've never heard of one that said they wouldn't want to play (at this level) because it wasn't nice outside.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:26 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:20 pm

Uh,, DMac.. We've played numerous games in the bubble. Doubt any players or coaches are complaining about playing there. Yes the "dome" is a more fan friendly environment, especially if your a Cuse fan. The players want to play. I've never heard of one that said they wouldn't want to play (at this level) because it wasn't nice outside.
This was a strange comment. Almost every strong program comes from the east coast where it’s cold outside. Lacrosse players are a tough breed by nature, and when it’s too cold and tricky for everyone else, it’s just right for Hobart. That’s their identity and what they strive for.

Great showing from Hobart against a Top 3 opponent in Cuse. This young group will keep improving and they’ll be a tough out for anyone in the A10.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I don't buy into the SU hype that everyone wants to play in the Dome. As BigHoss stated, Hobart likes playing in the elements--cause others don't! Just wish Boswell still had the high grass in the corners; there are great stories about the high grass and opposing teams taking exception!

While encouraged by the effort against SU, here's hoping they have some gas left for the next month and A10 play. In past years, the team seemed to place so much weight/importance on the SU game that their performance the rest of the season suffered. A10 will be tough, need to embrace the grind!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 am I don't buy into the SU hype that everyone wants to play in the Dome. As BigHoss stated, Hobart likes playing in the elements--cause others don't! Just wish Boswell still had the high grass in the corners; there are great stories about the high grass and opposing teams taking exception!

While encouraged by the effort against SU, here's hoping they have some gas left for the next month and A10 play. In past years, the team seemed to place so much weight/importance on the SU game that their performance the rest of the season suffered. A10 will be tough, need to embrace the grind!
And yet, the last two times we beat Syracuse it was in the Dome...

Agree entirely on expending ourselves against the Orange. One of my SU buddies even pointed it out to me and said that we should treat that game like just another game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Man, you guys are getting a little carried away with yourselves and the Statemen's abominable snowman-like macho toughness in bearing the elements.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges have a new indoor lacrosse facility called the RFK Varsity Strength Training Center1. This facility is used by the Hobart Statesmen men’s lacrosse team, which represents the colleges in NCAA Division I college lacrosse. The program was created in 1898, and they play their home games at Boswell Field2. The team has an impressive history, including 16 national championships, including two NCAA Division II championships and 13 NCAA Division III championships2. Starting from the 2023 season, Hobart plays in the newly established men’s lacrosse league of the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10)2. The lacrosse program’s elevation to Division I in 1995 preserved historic rivalries with Cornell and Syracuse2. The team’s all-time record stands at 801-521-202. The indoor training center contributes to their continued success and development. 🥍🏆
They getting a little soft? Fur getting a little thin?
You might not buy it but yes, teams like playing in the Dome rather than in 15 degree temps and blizzards. Might not be as macho (in your opinion) but it's better for the game, players, and fans. February weather is typically not conducive for lacrosse in CNY....and they never used to start the season as early as they do now.
Yup, I remember going to the Boz in my hard core Bart fan days and seeing the grass on the outside of the field mowed lower than the grass on the field, that was a given when Cuse came to town.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Citing the stupid bubble that collapsed a year after it was built and had to be rebuilt because of a self edited wiki page.

Of course after the many f ups under Hanna they have to sell a story but get talk with this Dome stuff it’s utterly stupid.

I’m back out process on your own but Dmac is full of ish.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:58 am Man, you guys are getting a little carried away with yourselves and the Statemen's abominable snowman-like macho toughness in bearing the elements.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges have a new indoor lacrosse facility called the RFK Varsity Strength Training Center1. This facility is used by the Hobart Statesmen men’s lacrosse team, which represents the colleges in NCAA Division I college lacrosse. The program was created in 1898, and they play their home games at Boswell Field2. The team has an impressive history, including 16 national championships, including two NCAA Division II championships and 13 NCAA Division III championships2. Starting from the 2023 season, Hobart plays in the newly established men’s lacrosse league of the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10)2. The lacrosse program’s elevation to Division I in 1995 preserved historic rivalries with Cornell and Syracuse2. The team’s all-time record stands at 801-521-202. The indoor training center contributes to their continued success and development. 🥍🏆
You might not buy it but yes, teams like playing in the Dome rather than in 15 degree temps and blizzards. Might not be as macho (in your opinion) but it's better for the game, players, and fans. February weather is typically not conducive for lacrosse in CNY....and they never used to start the season as early as they do now.
Yup, I remember going to the Boz in my hard core Bart fan days and seeing the grass on the outside of the field mowed lower than the grass on the field, that was a given when Cuse came to town.
I have no problem with the game having been played on the Boz last weekend. The game was scheduled far in advance for March 23 and the weather could just as well have been in the 50s or even 60s. There was really no telling and you surely can't blame the Hobart folks that the weather turned out the way it did. I think it only fair that the Orange make the trip to Geneva on occasion and brave whatever the conditions might be. With all of that said, there's no way I was going to sit outside for the game...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:58 am Man, you guys are getting a little carried away with yourselves and the Statemen's abominable snowman-like macho toughness in bearing the elements.
There was no grass on the inside of Boswell--thus, the "Boswell bounce"!

The first Kraus-Simmons game was played at Boswell on the grass. Before & after the Hobart victory all Simmie would talk about was "how great the dome is and this game should always be played there"...yes, Hobart was irked. After beating the #1 ranked Orangemen, the Hobart players could be heard saying, "it's no dome, but its home"!
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think you're mistaken 'Bart. What you're saying is the OOB and end lines were where the track begins. I wholeheartedly believe there was grass between the side and end lines and the track which was mowed while the field wasn't. It was like a clear message to Cuse of we're going to stick it in your asz a little bit with this grass.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 pm I think you're mistaken 'Bart. What you're saying is the OOB and end lines were where the track begins. I wholeheartedly believe there was grass between the side and end lines and the track which was mowed while the field wasn't. It was like a clear message to Cuse of we're going to stick it in your asz a little bit with this grass.
Are we even talking about the same place? The old Boswell Bowl (which I'm not familiar with since it predated my time in Geneva) was located somewhere around where Smith Hall and the Library stand (?). The present Boswell Field was first opened in 1974 (or so I believe; I'm sure some old timers can correct me on that). DMac, you're old enough (lol) so that you might be remembering the former.

Just FYI, DMac, my Syracuse friend told me that Lafayette High School also always favored the high grass advantage. I doubt they really needed the advantage against us...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Probably not, I'm going back to the 60s, 70s, and early 80s....the old Boz, where Stock Buck, Andy Boyer, and AtoZ played.
My HS coach, Jack McDonald, had Stock and Andy come to our HS practice one day, I thought they were gods. Was good stuff.
Last edited by DMac on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”