Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Laxgunea »

I think Raymond deserves at least another year. If next year is a disaster, then start rethinking it. Brundage has been terrific. He's created a system in which guys get open and get hands free enough to shoot. He's not responsible for poor shots. I'd like to see more happening inside, but until these guys improve the speed and accuracy of passes and develop softer hands, that will have to wait. As for Fisher, I don't see the system working. I could be wrong, but it just seems stiff. Still too many doorstep shots. I don't think Adam Hardy is returning. Peter Ashmore would be interesting, but as an inside person for D I'd go with Sam Mueller.
We don't officially redshirt anyone like other schools do. Good for us. We also have a stellar graduation rate, unlike some other D1 schools. I don't see many players leaving. This group is tight, and plenty of spaces will open next year. Sure, not mentioning names, you could be a star player and transfer to OSU, but you'd still not start and you'd still have trouble graduating. At Hobart you've got classes of 15 to 20 students, professors available 24/7 and teaching your classes not TAs, a President who you can call on the phone, and an alumni network that will bend over backwards for you. Is it expensive? You bet. You get what you pay for. The discount rate is near 70% and ROI is always highly rated. If guys want to go, let them.
What I want to see is juniors step up and take charge. These guys need to come back in September in better shape and hungrier than they've been in their lives. Coach should cut slackers ... starters or not. They need an attitude change. The players are the ones who can make this a 4 quarter team. If they had played 4 quarters each game this season, we'd be talking about their chances in the A10 right now.
man:down

Post by man:down »

Bravo. My favorite post on this thread. And you can't tell me that everyone on a 50+ person roster is equally motivated and dedicated - so yeah, trim the fat if there is fat to be trimmed and in doing so, reward the correct approach and hungry attitude. And if some freshman is sad about not getting playing time and wants to start over and try to get playing time elsewhere, bye bye - it will be long and frustrating road but he will learn a lot.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

My only suggestion is that be careful choosing the coaches over the program or the current players over the program. We should hope for a successful program which requires outstanding recruiting leading to having the right type of men, then the coaches doing their job to enable the players and gameplan to win. Something clearly isn’t working the past couple years and to blame that on the coaches is unfair but to say the kids just need to work harder makes no sense because the coaches ultimately have full accountability. The comment about poor shot selection and results is fully on the coaches in my opinion because you fix that by managing the roster and players and in practice. This is a collective recipe. Having four kids playing sports and 3 in college, I cringe at the comments about the kids just sucking it up and looking in the mirror. These are 18-22 year old kids. They need mentored and directed. And fully agree that kids not working need to move on and players and coaches should make that happen collectively
brodad

Post by brodad »

I’d also argue that this years schedule was brutal. 6 teams in the top 20 etc
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am I’d also argue that this years schedule was brutal. 6 teams in the top 20 etc
Does it matter when you also saw them not get off the bus for the fist quarter of Albany, put up little to no fight vs Cornell and blew that massive lead and men have all come to expect blown leads and unprepared starts such that the strength of this years schedule is irrelevant - but not that bad when you concert the first decade of D1 Hobart often had top 20 SOS. Heck the ECAC put three teams in the playoffs multiples times during our period there.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Moveit

Post by Moveit »

I think the return of Adam Hardy and addition of Peter Ashmore would do wonders for this team. Bring back the lunch pal guys who bleed orange and purple.

Transfer portal situation is out of control and there’s a time a time to move on but most of the time it’s a grass is greener situation until you get there. I’d argue the opportunity these guys have to right the ship is a better one than starting over elsewhere. Especially if the team is as close as they seem.
leafybeef

Post by leafybeef »

Peter Ashmore would be an interesting add. Anyone know if its the Hobart connection or if there are other schools looking for him to join their staff? Adam Hardy would be more of a second chance there. He did win a national championship in Tampa I believe as a coach. Don't know if they would bring them both in.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 am
brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am I’d also argue that this years schedule was brutal. 6 teams in the top 20 etc
Does it matter when you also saw them not get off the bus for the fist quarter of Albany, put up little to no fight vs Cornell and blew that massive lead and men have all come to expect blown leads and unprepared starts such that the strength of this years schedule is irrelevant - but not that bad when you concert the first decade of D1 Hobart often had top 20 SOS. Heck the ECAC put three teams in the playoffs multiples times during our period there.
Yes, if you play better teams, it will be more difficult to win/look good. And any mistakes you make will be amplified. No team is perfect all the time, and this year's Hobart team certainly was not, but the strength of schedule certainly had an impact on their season. I still think they need a sports psychologist more than any other change in program. The players and the fans are all very aware of the pattern of blown leads etc, and it weighs on the minds of the players, and probably the coaches as well.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 am
Yes, if you play better teams, it will be more difficult to win/look good. And any mistakes you make will be amplified. No team is perfect all the time, and this year's Hobart team certainly was not, but the strength of schedule certainly had an impact on their season. I still think they need a sports psychologist more than any other change in program. The players and the fans are all very aware of the pattern of blown leads etc, and it weighs on the minds of the players, and probably the coaches as well.
C'mon man! We went to Hobart--and I would think it's the same now--to play against the best teams. You won't attract talent playing the lower tier teams. It's the "jimmys & joes" not the X's & O's. I doubt the coaching staff is telling the O to take low angle, low percentage or distant shots. Bottom line is, maybe those are the only shots we can muster. Having said that, the UMass game was a 4th quarter disaster which saw zero coaching adjustments during their 9 goal run. Switch to zone or slide earlier or shutoff a ball carrier. Nothing changed except the Minutemen scoring at will.
I'm convinced that once the program is fully funded we will find more D1 athletes and less of the 5'8" - 5'9" smaller athlete. I watched SU up close, and they are big boys, even the shorter guys are thick. UVA's close D are all 6'5"+... If Raymond is adverse to the portal and determined to develop players his way, he needs to start with recruiting SIZE and develop them!!
brodad

Post by brodad »

Im not saying don't play against the best teams. i'm just saying you might not look as good. I think strength of schedule probably attracts some recruits.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am Im not saying don't play against the best teams. i'm just saying you might not look as good. I think strength of schedule probably attracts some recruits.
Like this one?
1998 Hobart Lacrosse Schedule

Season Record
Overall
8-5

PCT
Conf
0-0
PCT
Streak
L5
Home
3-1
Away
3-3
Neutral
2-1

Scheduled Games

Mar 14 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#15 Army
West Point, N.Y.
W, 14-9

Mar 24 (Tue) 6:00 AM
#17 Harvard
Baltimore, Md.
W, 11-8

Mar 28 (Sat) 6:00 AM
#18 Notre Dame
Pittsford, N.Y.
W, 11-7

Apr 1 (Wed) 6:00 AM
vs
Colgate
Geneva, N.Y. Boswell Field at David J Urick Stadium
W, 15-5

Apr 4 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
Bucknell
W, 18-11

Apr 8 (Wed) 6:00 AM
at
Canisius
Buffalo, N.Y.
W, 28-8

Apr 11 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
#11 Penn State
W, 12-6

Apr 14 (Tue) 6:00 AM
at
Cornell
Ithaca, N.Y.
W, 13-12

Apr 18 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#11 Georgetown
Washington, D.C.
L, 11-15

Apr 25 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#6 Duke
Durham, N.C.
L, 6-19

Apr 29 (Wed) 6:00 AM
at
#6 Syracuse
Syracuse, N.Y.
L, 5-18

May 2 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
#2 Princeton
L, 9-13

NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament

May 9 (Sat) 6:00 AM
#6 Virginia
Amherst, Mass.
L, 10-16
brodad

Post by brodad »

Looks like they blew the lead against Syracuse and failed to get off the bus against Princeton.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Princeton was at home...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:17 pm Looks like they blew the lead against Syracuse and failed to get off the bus against Princeton.
Princeton went on to win the championship that year defeating Maryland 15-5. Guess MD failed to get off the bus too.... and Bart lost to 6th ranked UVA in the 1st round.
brodad

Post by brodad »

I believe I’m quoting FFG
brodad

Post by brodad »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm Princeton was at home...
Like I said...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 am
Theres a common source for that need for a sports psychologist. I think you are missing the point on Raymond completely though with your prior note. Kerwick did better with tougher schedules and 1 NEC title in a decade with a goalie and different far better DC. If youved watched D1 hobart over time youve seen far tougher D1 schedules. I put up a resume against corporate expectations ten years into employment of this relative merit I would be looking for qualitative support for my situation. That first note was quite the hueristic portrait but the letdowns and failures YOY for a decade are a bigger component than one relatively lucky NEC AQ (where Bryant and St Joes waxed us in the reg season). I'd argue the 16 AQ run was basically wiped out by that brutal and befuddling loss in the finals the next year. Add in 19 too.

Landscape has changed and general median talent level in college of coures, but there was a different feeling out there in prior regimes playing top 15 teams than there is today. It's as obivious as the lake. But it's not like this is out of left field. And it's got more to do with us seeing how the kdis are incapable of executing under any stress with this regime. They don't seem prepared to succeed going into the games at this stage and it's a annual issue. So were cool with another ten years any maybe one coference title, no clutch play or great wins and a continued degradation of the culture.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:57 pm
brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am Im not saying don't play against the best teams. i'm just saying you might not look as good. I think strength of schedule probably attracts some recruits.
Like this one?
1998 Hobart Lacrosse Schedule

Season Record
Overall
8-5

PCT
Conf
0-0
PCT
Streak
L5
Home
3-1
Away
3-3
Neutral
2-1

Scheduled Games

Mar 14 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#15 Army
West Point, N.Y.
W, 14-9

Mar 24 (Tue) 6:00 AM
#17 Harvard
Baltimore, Md.
W, 11-8

Mar 28 (Sat) 6:00 AM
#18 Notre Dame
Pittsford, N.Y.
W, 11-7

Apr 1 (Wed) 6:00 AM
vs
Colgate
W, 15-5

Apr 4 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
Bucknell
W, 18-11

Apr 8 (Wed) 6:00 AM
at
Canisius
Buffalo, N.Y.
W, 28-8

Apr 11 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
#11 Penn State
W, 12-6

Apr 14 (Tue) 6:00 AM
at
Cornell
Ithaca, N.Y.
W, 13-12

Apr 18 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#11 Georgetown
Washington, D.C.
L, 11-15

Apr 25 (Sat) 6:00 AM
at
#6 Duke
Durham, N.C.
L, 6-19

Apr 29 (Wed) 6:00 AM
at
#6 Syracuse
Syracuse, N.Y.
L, 5-18

May 2 (Sat) 6:00 AM
vs
#2 Princeton
L, 9-13

NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament

May 9 (Sat) 6:00 AM
#6 Virginia
Amherst, Mass.
L, 10-16
Started out 8-0 and inside top ten that year. Earned a bid when those weren't easy to come by just three years into D1
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:17 pm Looks like they blew the lead against Syracuse and failed to get off the bus against Princeton.
Yeah I dont think you have all the hobart history in D1 down so well yet. Different culture. Guys went onto the field expecting to: win first, f**k people up second. Win or lose you knew you were in a game. This comment is a luaghable projection but I know how those games went down and it was nothing like Albany or many others under raymond. We gave up a second quarter lead too in the 2002 playoffs to Duke in Q2 when John Bogosian went down. Totally comparable....Now were psyched to scrape by a mid major who got into the top 20 a couple of times in the last five years. These comparisons lack any sense of what it was even inside of D1.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 pm I believe I’m quoting FFG
Yes but in a thoughtless "yeah well I know you are but what am I" comparing a mediocre Albany team to those.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”