Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Laxgunea »

DMac, I don't get your post. It says that home games are played on Boswell, which is exactly what happened. The RFK facility is a weight training facility for (all) varsity athletes. The Bubble/Dome is primarily a practice facility, though early season scrimmages and an occasional game or two are played there. It isn't really a "home field" because there is almost no room for fans. Any chance they have to play on the Boz, they will take.
I was there on Saturday. It wasn't so bad. I dressed warmly. But did anyone notice that the heater went out next to the Syracuse bench? Strange things happen on the Boz ....
DMac

Post by DMac »

It's really no big deal. Laxg', initially I was just agreeing with soothi in that it's tough recruiting up here because of conditions. It just got a little ridiculous from there on out.
I'm all done.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm It's really no big deal. Laxg', initially I was just agreeing with soothi in that it's tough recruiting up here because of conditions. It just got a little ridiculous from there on out.
I'm all done.
You're done when I say you're done... Now, meet me at the Rongo...
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

In case anyone is still interested in the “what happened with the first quarter non goal”. It was a goal, however there was a second ball on the outside of the net and when the refs looked, they assumed that was the ball. The game ball went in the back of the net on a bounce shot. If you watch the replay you can see it clear as day. Not sure how there was a second ball there but maybe from Syracuse warm ups. Sucks to have that happen because that would have tied it and they went right down after that and scored on us.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

So, what do you guys know about UMass? Looks like they have played 4 consecutive 1-goal games, going 1-3 over that stretch, and are 0-fer on the road this season.

This is a winnable game, I hope.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:25 am In case anyone is still interested in the “what happened with the first quarter non goal”. It was a goal, however there was a second ball on the outside of the net and when the refs looked, they assumed that was the ball. The game ball went in the back of the net on a bounce shot. If you watch the replay you can see it clear as day. Not sure how there was a second ball there but maybe from Syracuse warm ups. Sucks to have that happen because that would have tied it and they went right down after that and scored on us.
How nuts is that??? I had read that the refs saw the ball on the outside of the net and checked to see if there was a hole in it when there was discussion about whether it had gone in or not. Is this a different version of the hidden ball trick? :o
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 pm I think you're mistaken 'Bart. What you're saying is the OOB and end lines were where the track begins. I wholeheartedly believe there was grass between the side and end lines and the track which was mowed while the field wasn't. It was like a clear message to Cuse of we're going to stick it in your asz a little bit with this grass.
Just the opposite..the middle of Boswell would have litte to no grass and come playoff time the dirt would be like cement and was great for shooters. The sidelines and endlines(especially in the corners) would be where we kept the grass high to keep the ball inbounds. Richie Moran refused to play one year unless it was cut before the first faceoff. Coach Urick had the mower come out and make a couple of swipes up and down the sidelines; but, the blades were never lowered and nothing changed(this was 1983 and Hobart beat Cornell in a blowout).
Bart

Post by Bart »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:22 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 pm I think you're mistaken 'Bart. What you're saying is the OOB and end lines were where the track begins. I wholeheartedly believe there was grass between the side and end lines and the track which was mowed while the field wasn't. It was like a clear message to Cuse of we're going to stick it in your asz a little bit with this grass.
Just the opposite..the middle of Boswell would have litte to no grass and come playoff time the dirt would be like cement and was great for shooters. The sidelines and endlines(especially in the corners) would be where we kept the grass high to keep the ball inbounds. Richie Moran refused to play one year unless it was cut before the first faceoff. Coach Urick had the mower come out and make a couple of swipes up and down the sidelines; but, the blades were never lowered and nothing changed(this was 1983 and Hobart beat Cornell in a blowout).
I believe Scott Nelson did the same in the 89' semi's. Do not recall if the mower showed up or not.
DMac

Post by DMac »

All good, point being there was grass between the lines (sides and ends) and the track.
Someone along the lines here told me I was wrong about that. No way I was. Fairly common
to have a dog or two run on the filed up there too, loved that (no leash laws yet).
It's all good, boys, good luck going forward. I go back to '62 there. My HS coach, Jack
McDonald (super guy, great coach), Bart boy, of course, brought Stock Buck and Andy
Boyer to our practice one day (must've been '68), we thought they were gods. A to Z,
another good one. Am a Bart fan despite what some of you might think.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

FL-GO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 am So, what do you guys know about UMass? Looks like they have played 4 consecutive 1-goal games, going 1-3 over that stretch, and are 0-fer on the road this season.

This is the game that determines our season - if we win, we are pretty much assured the tourney. If we lose, we have a high risk of being out of the A10 again. I have seen Umass play a few times and they are about the same as us but I am not sure as good. We should be able to win this game if we play decent.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Bartfromboston wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am
FL-GO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 am So, what do you guys know about UMass? Looks like they have played 4 consecutive 1-goal games, going 1-3 over that stretch, and are 0-fer on the road this season.

This is the game that determines our season - if we win, we are pretty much assured the tourney. If we lose, we have a high risk of being out of the A10 again. I have seen Umass play a few times and they are about the same as us but I am not sure as good. We should be able to win this game if we play decent.
There would be a path forward if we lose, but it would be much more difficult. If we do win, the road is not easy, but it would be less pressure.
If I remember right, UMass has a very good goalie who is able to keep them in games they would otherwise be out of. That will put a premiamos on shot selection ... not our strong suit, but something we've been working on and improving. I don't want full 75 second possession before shots, but I would like us not to necessarily take the first shot available. Our D does so much better when allowed some rest. Keep fighting for GBs, like last week. Move the ball quickly on O. And, above all, reduce turnovers.
man:down

Post by man:down »

Only saw stats from 'Cuse game - couldn't catch the livestream - but it sounds like the guys played loose up front? That freshman got a hat trick? And Datellas played like we know he can? It seems like they are coming together up there. Remember that UMass made Barthelme a priority last year and basically had their biggest guy take him out of the equation. So if he is healthy tomorrow, you can assume that will happen again and you can probably count him out as a contributor. But the other guys (including Rosa and Ward here), to do their thing. We need Bach to get pissed off and getting Herlihy back sure would help if he can mix up his shot placement. Greene seems to have found his stride as well and Delano needs to keep feeding cutters on the pipes -he has great vision for that. We also had questionable shot selection at UMass last year -that will need to change. Maybe I am too naive but the Hobart D seems to be meshing as well. They held Cuse to a lower goal number than I would have expected. Could that be Ellis taking control?
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:02 pm
All good, point being there was grass between the lines (sides and ends) and the track.
Someone along the lines here told me I was wrong about that. No way I was. Fairly common
to have a dog or two run on the filed up there too, loved that (no leash laws yet).
It's all good, boys, good luck going forward. I go back to '62 there. My HS coach, Jack
McDonald (super guy, great coach), Bart boy, of course, brought Stock Buck and Andy
Boyer to our practice one day (must've been '68), we thought they were gods. A to Z,
another good one. Am a Bart fan despite what some of you might think.
DMac, what HS did you attend where Coach McDonald coached? I remember he coached Eisenhower college when I was in HS and then coached the Hobart B team during my years at Hobart. He's a great guy..
DMac

Post by DMac »

Mynderse Academy (sounds fancy but it's just a public school), Seneca Falls. Think it was his first gig, he started lacrosse there in my freshman year. I flipped out when I saw the signs he put up around the school. He was real young and a fantastic coach, we loved him. Wife was a sweetheart too. Have mentioned before that my dad took me to a Bart game after school when I was 13. Hadn't ever even heard of lacrosse before (not a native NYer, lived in Germany prior to there) let alone seen it. When we walked in the gate we headed around the track to the far side bleachers. When we were right at the end behind the cage all of the action came at us at a 100 mph. I was mesmerized, completely blown away and instantly addicted (my dad bought me a stick at Harmon's on the way home...had no one to play with but the Jr High had a nice big brick wall). There was a penalty on the play. Back then they would announce the penalty and player who committed it over the PA. "McDonald, one minute, on the head". He turns out to be our coach, could not have asked for a better one. I've told him that story a couple of times when I've seen him at Bart games and he always says he just needed a little rest. :lol: Love running into him. He did coach at Eisenhower. When I got out of the service (after 8 years) I went to TC3 and played (Captain and leading scorer...on a shiddy team), we went to Eisenhower to play them on a day that would make the last Cuse-Bart game weather feel like a balmy day. Heavy snow and cold....it was awful. Drove me out of NY, moved to Va at the end of that year.
He coached at Geneva HS too.
I'm an old Bart fan at heart, believe me.....and there was grass outside of the lines of that field!!!! ;)
https://www.genevasportshof.org/bio.php ... ald%20Jack
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Looking for a decent game from Hobart
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Looking for a decent game from Hobart
Hoping UMass shows up and makes it competitive...
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 pm Mynderse Academy (sounds fancy but it's just a public school), Seneca Falls. Think it was his first gig, he started lacrosse there in my freshman year. I flipped out when I saw the signs he put up around the school. He was real young and a fantastic coach, we loved him. Wife was a sweetheart too. Have mentioned before that my dad took me to a Bart game after school when I was 13. Hadn't ever even heard of lacrosse before (not a native NYer, lived in Germany prior to there) let alone seen it. When we walked in the gate we headed around the track to the far side bleachers. When we were right at the end behind the cage all of the action came at us at a 100 mph. I was mesmerized, completely blown away and instantly addicted (my dad bought me a stick at Harmon's on the way home...had no one to play with but the Jr High had a nice big brick wall). There was a penalty on the play. Back then they would announce the penalty and player who committed it over the PA. "McDonald, one minute, on the head". He turns out to be our coach, could not have asked for a better one. I've told him that story a couple of times when I've seen him at Bart games and he always says he just needed a little rest. :lol: Love running into him. He did coach at Eisenhower. When I got out of the service (after 8 years) I went to TC3 and played (Captain and leading scorer...on a shiddy team), we went to Eisenhower to play them on a day that would make the last Cuse-Bart game weather feel like a balmy day. Heavy snow and cold....it was awful. Drove me out of NY, moved to Va at the end of that year.
He coached at Geneva HS too.
I'm an old Bart fan at heart, believe me.....and there was grass outside of the lines of that field!!!! ;)
https://www.genevasportshof.org/bio.php ... ald%20Jack
Great story DMac. Coach McDonald was the best.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Stick a fork in this team. Season just slipped away. No excuses for this one.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Choke artists. This team, and the teams of the prior 2 seasons do not know how to finish a game. Time for some wholesale changes at every level.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”