Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Hobart 2024

Post by oldbartman »

I will start this thread off with some good news. All 3 of our incoming freshman from NY Section V have have been named U.S. Lacrosse All Americans. They are Jack Faiola, goalie, Canandaigua Academy; Robert Kinslow IV, defense, Palmyra Macedon; Mikey Valent midfield/face offs, Rush Henrietta. Faiola was named the Monroe County Div 3 player of the year and Kinslow was named the Finger Lakes Player of the year and defenseman of the year. Valent was named Monroe County Div 1 player of the year as well.
Other incoming freshmen that have received league/section or other recognition so far are Chris Patterson, attack, Bronxville HS, NY Section 1 All American. Anthony Stillwell, attack, Rivers School,1st team All ISL. Trevor Fox, goalie Holderness School All NEPSAC C Division.
I'm sure there will be more of our '23 recruits receiving post season awards. If others know of them, please share. Our Statesmen lost a lot to graduation this year. As of today, only 2 Adam Shea and Troy Barthelme are the only ones I know of using their NCAA granted 5th year at Hobart. There may be more returning for their 5th season, but that information isn't available at present.
I expect it to be a wide open competition for every starting position this fall. Between graduations and guys who were injured for the whole '23 season, the coaching staff has to re-evaluate everyone after last seasons performance. Coaches Raymond, Brundage and Fisher are now out on the summer recruiting circuit looking for class of '25 talent and to fill in a couple of remaining spots for the '24 cycle from what was mentioned on Ted Bakers last podcast. Enjoy the summer all.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:42 am I will start this thread off with some good news. All 3 of our incoming freshman from NY Section V have have been named U.S. Lacrosse All Americans. They are Jack Faiola, goalie, Canandaigua Academy; Robert Kinslow IV, defense, Palmyra Macedon; Mikey Valent midfield/face offs, Rush Henrietta. Faiola was named the Monroe County Div 3 player of the year and Kinslow was named the Finger Lakes Player of the year and defenseman of the year. Valent was named Monroe County Div 1 player of the year as well.
Other incoming freshmen that have received league/section or other recognition so far are Chris Patterson, attack, Bronxville HS, NY Section 1 All American. Anthony Stillwell, attack, Rivers School,1st team All ISL. Trevor Fox, goalie Holderness School All NEPSAC C Division.
I'm sure there will be more of our '23 recruits receiving post season awards. If others know of them, please share. Our Statesmen lost a lot to graduation this year. As of today, only 2 Adam Shea and Troy Barthelme are the only ones I know of using their NCAA granted 5th year at Hobart. There may be more returning for their 5th season, but that information isn't available at present.
I expect it to be a wide open competition for every starting position this fall. Between graduations and guys who were injured for the whole '23 season, the coaching staff has to re-evaluate everyone after last seasons performance. Coaches Raymond, Brundage and Fisher are now out on the summer recruiting circuit looking for class of '25 talent and to fill in a couple of remaining spots for the '24 cycle from what was mentioned on Ted Bakers last podcast. Enjoy the summer all.
I’ve been secretly harboring a feeling that Kinslow could be an unknown rock star but this is based on little, perhaps schadenfreude as he comes from Ben Reeves little HS and he slipped through the cracks which is so specious.

FR and general performance is going to matter so much on who comes back among Herlihy, Barthelme, etc. Shea is. We could blend in a lot fo younger rising kids with now some real experience (kids like Greene and Delano played maybe half seasons in 22 w injuries, Rosa as a starter and ward playing more Etc) and only upside on defensive side of the field. We need a healthy and game ready second FO.

Trujillo is in the portal so figure he’s gone which is a shame. Wonder if Horton is coming back. If he does w Duby and Firth plus others like Galiani etc we should be better. Broke in a lot of kids including some more athletic size as SSDM last year.

Honestly would be crazy to decommit from Dart to go to Hobart, love the place or not I wouldn’t let my kids do that, but may as well see-especially if we can make it cheap for a great student athlete, maybe someone who’d want to do the 3 & 2 masters w Colombia or similar creativity.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Xanders is reporting quite a few Hobart players in the portal, seems likely a few would withdraw though.

Hobart
Michael Amoruso, LSM
Souleymane Ballo, M (Gr.)
Bobby Baltzer, M (Gr.)
Jack Grooms, M (Gr.)
John Herlihy, A (Gr.)
Kevin Holtby, G (Gr.)
Mamadou Meite, M (Gr.)
Marcus Trujillo, LSM (Gr.)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hobart only has 2 graduate programs, education and business management. Both are not easy to get into from what I have learned. While I wish the grad students in the portal could all return, they all have different goals to address. 4 or 5 of those in the portal should generate some real interest. One listed is about to sign on with another school.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am Hobart only has 2 graduate programs, education and business management. Both are not easy to get into from what I have learned. While I wish the grad students in the portal could all return, they all have different goals to address. 4 or 5 of those in the portal should generate some real interest. One listed is about to sign on with another school.
Surprised Bart only has 2 graduate programs. Any thoughts/plans about expanding that?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:31 am
oldbartman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am Hobart only has 2 graduate programs, education and business management. Both are not easy to get into from what I have learned. While I wish the grad students in the portal could all return, they all have different goals to address. 4 or 5 of those in the portal should generate some real interest. One listed is about to sign on with another school.
Surprised Bart only has 2 graduate programs. Any thoughts/plans about expanding that?
Not at present. Hobart is still by and large a traditional liberal arts college. Grad programs are expensive to develop in almost any major. Of course if an alum wants to come along and endow 1 or 2, I'm sure the colleges would be glad to accommodate them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t think they are waiving into the Mgt program. They are applying discipline there from what I’ve heard.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Liberal arts school-fairly antithetical to have a lot of graduate programs in general. There’s a number of 4/1 and 3/2 programs already available like engineering 3/2 w Columbia (see a guy named/friend Geoff Zbikowski who played 3yrs of lacrosse and did that). Frankly while you only 3yrs on those programs which sucks you also can turn that newly available scholly capital faster that way as well/
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:35 am
Not at present. Hobart is still by and large a traditional liberal arts college. Grad programs are expensive to develop in almost any major. Of course if an alum wants to come along and endow 1 or 2, I'm sure the colleges would be glad to accommodate them.
There should be more non tenure track and MA type Econ p graduate programs in the world IMO.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I disagree. Edu program is necessary, but management is a waste of time. It's just a way to keep kids. It's like an MBA ... go work before you get one. Mgmet, etc., are not liberal arts. I love the players those programs keep for us, but they aren't the type of program I'd recommend for my kid.
Transfer portal is not a good option for most kids, except for grad school. I'm looking forward to the end of the COVID year extension. Gives a terrible advantage to big schools.
As for our guys, I'm glad Shea and Barthelme are back. Herlihy was going to return but may be having second thoughts. Not sure how healthy he is. Would love to see Baltzer and Grooms too, but we've got to move forward. To me the question is who steps up and takes it to the next level.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:08 pm I disagree. Edu program is necessary, but management is a waste of time. It's just a way to keep kids. It's like an MBA ... go work before you get one. Mgmet, etc., are not liberal arts. I love the players those programs keep for us, but they aren't the type of program I'd recommend for my kid.
Transfer portal is not a good option for most kids, except for grad school. I'm looking forward to the end of the COVID year extension. Gives a terrible advantage to big schools.
As for our guys, I'm glad Shea and Barthelme are back. Herlihy was going to return but may be having second thoughts. Not sure how healthy he is. Would love to see Baltzer and Grooms too, but we've got to move forward. To me the question is who steps up and takes it to the next level.
I would love to see Herlihy come back. He's a great player and has essentially been cheated out of two seasons, one with the ACL and then this past year. Even if he doesn't come back I hope he'll land someplace just so he gets the pt he deserves to showcase his talents. Just don't let him go to Richmond.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:08 pm I disagree. Edu program is necessary, but management is a waste of time. It's just a way to keep kids. It's like an MBA ... go work before you get one. Mgmet, etc., are not liberal arts. I love the players those programs keep for us, but they aren't the type of program I'd recommend for my kid.
Disagree with whom? I generally don’t see the fit as I said.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Thought you were saying there should be more MA type programs, but I was confused because earlier you said you didn't see the fit. My confusion.
Agree on Herlihy. He's just been very unlucky with injury. FWIW, iI had heard he was returning, so the portal was news to me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:58 am Thought you were saying there should be more MA type programs, but I was confused because earlier you said you didn't see the fit. My confusion.
Agree on Herlihy. He's just been very unlucky with injury. FWIW, iI had heard he was returning, so the portal was news to me.
Sorry I’m often unclear here. Generally I don’t see the value of a liberal arts college having graduate programs but if they did they should be aligned with the essence of the liberal arts education not functional degrees. I subscribe to the theory that Econ is not hard/positive as Friedman wrote and helped justify the academic community conferring more credibility as they pushed it to be viewed are more “scientific” (and consequently created a monster where everyone thinks economist are good forecasters by nature which is why we have issues with developments established by Nobel Prize Economists).

I tried to reach out to discuss going to do aPT more philosophical non-PhD track side learning hustle at Ga State, Emory, Mercers in town graduate school, Ga Tech and even the blah UGA. They all blew me off which confirmed my view of academics and their fighting over nothing of value and small wins by not even being open minded to broadening their field to allow a guy who’s had some accomplishment in finance and banking and sitting on an MBA. Ergo I could see value in some liberal arts colleges offering a more normative, philosophical and historical education driven Masters of Arts in Econ. More in line with the mission and mandate of a place like HWS than a masters in Mgt which is fundamentally a revenue oriented, “heads for beds” program. Not even Athletics driven or more lacrosse players would’ve been accepted than were this spring.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:58 am Thought you were saying there should be more MA type programs, but I was confused because earlier you said you didn't see the fit. My confusion.
I’m really bummed about Amuroso. Good athlete with skills and athletic IQ from a strong program who got on the field a lot despite being buried by LSMs and having to be put out at SSDM. Sometimes kids move on but I fear this is a signal of something more.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxman1969

Post by Laxman1969 »

Has anyone heard about any coaching changes? Heard Fisher was leaving and the Director of Operations Mueller was taking his place. Any truth to this??
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Just saw a photo of Coach Fisher at one of the early summer recruiting tourneys. Forget which one..
Laxman1969

Post by Laxman1969 »

The change in coaching is to be announced on July 1st, according to my sources.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxman1969 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:34 pm Has anyone heard about any coaching changes? Heard Fisher was leaving and the Director of Operations Mueller was taking his place. Any truth to this??
If Sam Mueller had been able to stay fully healthy he probably should’ve been min NEC DPOY. Institutional knowledge, young and relatively inexperienced but I think I like it.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:59 am
Sorry I’m often unclear here. Generally I don’t see the value of a liberal arts college having graduate programs but if they did they should be aligned with the essence of the liberal arts education not functional degrees. I subscribe to the theory that Econ is not hard/positive as Friedman wrote and helped justify the academic community conferring more credibility as they pushed it to be viewed are more “scientific” (and consequently created a monster where everyone thinks economist are good forecasters by nature which is why we have issues with developments established by Nobel Prize Economists).

I tried to reach out to discuss going to do aPT more philosophical non-PhD track side learning hustle at Ga State, Emory, Mercers in town graduate school, Ga Tech and even the blah UGA. They all blew me off which confirmed my view of academics and their fighting over nothing of value and small wins by not even being open minded to broadening their field to allow a guy who’s had some accomplishment in finance and banking and sitting on an MBA. Ergo I could see value in some liberal arts colleges offering a more normative, philosophical and historical education driven Masters of Arts in Econ. More in line with the mission and mandate of a place like HWS than a masters in Mgt which is fundamentally a revenue oriented, “heads for beds” program. Not even Athletics driven or more lacrosse players would’ve been accepted than were this spring.
In that case, I don't disagree!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”