MAAC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flyerfan17

Re: MAAC 2024

Post by flyerfan17 »

Not sure the team that lost to Merrimack and Holy Cross is going to roll through the MAAC the rest of the way. As SC said there are lots of crazy things that happen in conference. Manhattan, Marist, even LIU and Siena could surprise in rematches not to mention it's not going to be easy to beat QU twice at all
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Siena looked like a different team when they were winning the FO's. Lots of ways to score. Sacred Heart romped. Could still see 4 teams winning this
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

For the tie with seconds left,

off the post.

Exciting game. Sacred Heart stays unbeaten.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:36 pm For the tie with seconds left,

off the post.

Yep. The wacky MAAC. Not the best D1 lacrosse, but always some of the most exciting and unpredictable.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:46 pm

off the post.

Yep. The wacky MAAC. Not the best D1 lacrosse, but always some of the most exciting and unpredictable.
It's such a competitive league so even tho it's lower D 1 lacrosse it's exciting since so many teams are evenly matched. I enjoyed the two games I watched today which was the LIU game and then Marist. Both came down to the end and I believe Sacred Heart game did too. Such a competitive conference.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:23 pm

off the post.

It's such a competitive league so even tho it's lower D 1 lacrosse it's exciting since so many teams are evenly matched. I enjoyed the two games I watched today which was the LIU game and then Marist. Both came down to the end and I believe Sacred Heart game did too. Such a competitive conference.
9-4,9-2,8-3 are the overall records of 3 of the top 4 teams in the conference. It's certainly not the top conference in D1 but it is arguably stronger than it's been in years. Totally wide open still too, with all due respect to Sacred Heart
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 pm
DoubleD wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:23 pm

off the post.

9-4,9-2,8-3 are the overall records of 3 of the top 4 teams in the conference. It's certainly not the top conference in D1 but it is arguably stronger than it's been in years. Totally wide open still too, with all due respect to Sacred Heart
There’s a number of years where the top MAAC team is clear cut above the rest. Thinking off the cuff of years in the past decade or so for Hartford, Marist & Siena. Respectfully I don’t see any of SHU (this SHU team isn’t even on the level of the one a few years back w Saggese and Tuttle and a pretty good LSM), Quinny or LIU on that level this year. Doesn’t matter the goal is to have an opportunity to be in the game/playoffs ultimately.

But I imagine being a fan is fun given the diversity at the top over time.

Champs since 2010:

MSM
Siena 2x
Canisius 2x
Detroit Mercy
Marist 3x
Quinny
Monmouth 2x
Manhattan

8 different champs in 13 seasons. Everyone has hope.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Yep, the wacky MAAC. Siena down to Manhattan 7-10 with 48 seconds left, score at :47, :34, :24, and :03 for the win. WOW! Cue up the lax trivia gurus to find that happening ever before.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:21 pm Yep, the wacky MAAC. Siena down to Manhattan 7-10 with 48 seconds left, score at :47, :34, :24, and :03 for the win. WOW! Cue up the lax trivia gurus to find that happening ever before.
Wow

Marist will get 6th, I think. All 6 could win it
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

let’s go SHU
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Like I asked on the Marist thread, could their game vs. VMI be for a spot in the tournament?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:41 pm Like I asked on the Marist thread, could their game vs. VMI be for a spot in the tournament?
Right now is one of the (many) times I miss Sore and Old from the old Laxpower days. He'd respond to this with a detailed response to include:
- the order of the current top 6, including their current record.
- this Saturday's final opponent, including their record, for each of the top 6.
- a breakdown of the various scenarios leading to virtually every single seeding scenario.

As for me, I'm too lazy. I just know not a single seed position is cemented right now. Most seeding positions can - and will - change.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:33 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:41 pm Like I asked on the Marist thread, could their game vs. VMI be for a spot in the tournament?
Right now is one of the (many) times I miss Sore and Old from the old Laxpower days. He'd respond to this with a detailed response to include:
- this Saturday's final opponent, including their record, for each of the top 6.
- a breakdown of the various scenarios leading to virtually every single seeding scenario.

As for me, I'm too lazy. I just know not a single seed position is cemented right now. Most seeding positions can - and will - change.
Sacred Heart is the number one seed and will host the final 4. If Siena beats the Mount then yes the winner of the VMI-Marist game is in and the loser is out. If Siena were to lose and VMI win then they will be going deep into tie breakers to decide final 2 seeds as all 3 teams would be 1-1 against each other
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sore & Old was tremendous.
JBSlax

Post by JBSlax »

Can SHU host as a new MAAC member (I can't recall if they are staying in the MAAC or going back to NEC)?
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:12 pm
Sore & Old was tremendous.
I don't have the scenarios, but I can at least contribute the probabilities that each teams ends up in each spot. (This is assuming I've got the tiebreak rules coded correctly...).
MAAC20240416.JPG
MAAC20240416.JPG (25.49 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

JBSlax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am Can SHU host as a new MAAC member (I can't recall if they are staying in the MAAC or going back to NEC)?
They don't become a full member until July 1 so seemingly not. Just adds to the mystique and wackiness. It's hard to keep up
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

So the regular season ended with only one mild "surprise". With Quinnipiac's loss to LIU and wins by Marist and Siena, Q falls to the sixth seed. The Q loss created a three-way league record tie between Marist, Siena and Quinnipiac.

The first tie-breaker did not resolve things as each team went 1-1 against one another in a "mini-conference" among the teams during the season. Marist earned the first advantage by virtue of a higher seeding victory against LIU to earn the No. 4 seed. Siena gets the fifth seed due to their head to head win over Q.

Seeds are:
#1 SHU - QF bye (SHU cannot hold conference semi and final because they're not full conference members until July.)
#2 LIU - QF bye (LIU cannot hold conference semi and final because they're not full conference members.)
#6 Q at #3 Manhattan QF
#5 Siena and #4 Marist QF

Highest remaining seed of 3 through 5 will host the league semis and final.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:58 am So the regular season ended with only one mild "surprise". With Quinnipiac's loss to LIU and wins by Marist and Siena, Q falls to the sixth seed. The Q loss created a three-way league record tie between Marist, Siena and Quinnipiac.

The first tie-breaker did not resolve things as each team went 1-1 against one another in a "mini-conference" among the teams during the season. Marist earned the first advantage by virtue of a higher seeding victory against LIU to earn the No. 4 seed. Siena gets the fifth seed due to their head to head win over Q.

Seeds are:
#1 SHU - QF bye (SHU cannot hold conference semi and final because they're not full conference members until July.)
#2 LIU - QF bye (LIU cannot hold conference semi and final because they're not full conference members.)
#6 Q at #3 Manhattan QF
#5 Siena and #4 Marist QF

Highest remaining seed of 3 through 5 will host the league semis and final.
QU was very disappointing following their start. Any of the 6 could win it. Both quarter-finals are good games. If I had to pick a winner I'm going with a Siena over Q for it all. Like how the Saints turned their season around and why wouldn't the 5 and 6 teams play for it all in the MAAC ?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Mount St. Mary's disappointed. Yes, they were learning a new coaching system, and yes, several solid players from 2023 graduated. But, did anyone think they would fall as far as they did?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”