MIAA "A" Conference 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: MIAA "A" Conference 2024

Post by kramerica.inc »

Its an incredibly fun conference. Very good lacrosse.
Every game matters. One Tuesday a year ago I think every underdog in the conference won. I remember Severn beat BL, Gilman beat Loyola, John Carroll beat Calvert Hall and I think there were one or two others. Totally shook up the playoff seeding. Crazy stuff. Generally, every team that qualifies for the tourney will be battle tested and has the chance to get hot and win. Exciting to watch.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Boys Latin

03/05 St Johns DC (0-0) DC WCAC
03/09 @ St Thomas Aquinas (0-0) FL 2A R4 D15
03/12 @ Saint Andrew's (1-0) FL 1A R4 D13
03/19 @ Gonzaga (0-0) DC WCAC
03/23 @ Lawrenceville (0-0) NJ Private
03/27 vs Malvern Prep (0-0) PA IAC
04/02 @ Archbishop Spalding (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/05 Calvert Hall (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/09 @ John Carroll (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/12 @ Loyola Blakefield (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/16 Mount St. Joseph (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/19 @ St Mary's Annapolis (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/23 McDonogh (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/30 Gilman (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/04 Severn (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/07 @ St Paul's (0-0) MD A MIAA
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Spalding

03/08 St Anne's-Belfield (0-1) VA 1 VIP
03/13 @ Bullis (0-0) DC IAC
03/20 Western Reserve Academy (2-0) OH Indep
03/24 St Thomas Aquinas (1-0) FL 2A R4 D15
03/25 vs Springfield-Twp (0-0) PA SubCont
03/27 Everest Academy (0-0) Intersectional Independents
04/02 Boys' Latin (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/09 @ Gilman (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/12 St Mary's Annapolis (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/16 @ McDonogh (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/19 John Carroll (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/26 @ Severn (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/30 St Paul's (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/03 @ Calvert Hall (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/07 @ Mount St. Joseph (0-0) MD A MIAA
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hello MIAA people.

I will attend the Boy's Latin at Lawrenceville game Saturday March 23rd. Looking forward to seeing that.

I did see that Boy's Latin opened their season with a nice victory over St. John's, although St. John's was missing their star Duenkel (who is headed to UVA).

You have to give credit to St. John's for their schedule...SJ, Hill, Brunswick, St. Anthony's, and Culver have such great schedules.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Mar 5

GPrep 11
St Mary's 10 (OT)

Landon 13
Heights 9

Severn 11
St Albans 5

BL 12
St John's 4
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

So, while there are a lot of questions going into 2024, I will ask the biggest one of all:

Who hoists the trophy at the very end of the final game of the season?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:16 pm So, while there are a lot of questions going into 2024, I will ask the biggest one of all:

Who hoists the trophy at the very end of the final game of the season?
BL or McD.
I'm leaning towards BL this year.
With CH as a darkhorse.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohh my...go to the point in the game where Georgetown Prep is up 11-3...and watch the last quarter...

https://www.gilman.edu/experience/athletics/greyhoundtv
Slim

Post by Slim »

Wow MDLax! What a comeback for the Hounds! Kudos to them for sticking with it and GP looked like they ran out of gas from their OT comeback dub vs. StM earlier in week.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:28 pm ohh my...go to the point in the game where Georgetown Prep is up 11-3...and watch the last quarter...

What a comeback! Nice start to the season.

Joe
Finster

Post by Finster »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:25 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:28 pm ohh my...go to the point in the game where Georgetown Prep is up 11-3...and watch the last quarter...

Joe

That's a crazy comeback. Wow. Gilman is headed to my neck of the woods this week to play Norfolk; I might go see that game.

I have a friend who's involved with Landon of DC; they lost to St. Paul's of the MIAA yesterday.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:29 am

Joe

That's a crazy comeback. Wow. Gilman is headed to my neck of the woods this week to play Norfolk; I might go see that game.

I have a friend who's involved with Landon of DC; they lost to St. Paul's of the MIAA yesterday.
I watched the first 3 quarters shaking my head, assuming that Gilman just doesn't have the horses again this year, too many fundamental errors and miscues and not enough raw athleticism to overcome a clearly better, more confident Georgetown Prep team. I was particularly dismayed that GP's press ride so rattled the Gilman team. They just seemed much less athletic and confident most of those 3 quarters and especially the brutal 3rd Q.

Almost turned it off.

But nothing like Momentum.

That said, I don't think either team has more than a couple starters each who will likely be significant top level D1 impact players. It's not that they're super heavily loaded top to bottom. But definitely some good players... So my expectations remain muted for Gilman this year....but what a fun win for them.

Anything can happen. And it's super early so both teams will likely have some positive takeaways.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:46 am
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:29 am

Joe

I watched the first 3 quarters shaking my head, assuming that Gilman just doesn't have the horses again this year, too many fundamental errors and miscues and not enough raw athleticism to overcome a clearly better, more confident Georgetown Prep team. I was particularly dismayed that GP's press ride so rattled the Gilman team. They just seemed much less athletic and confident most of those 3 quarters and especially the brutal 3rd Q.

Almost turned it off.

But nothing like Momentum.

That said, I don't think either team has more than a couple starters each who will likely be significant top level D1 impact players. It's not that they're super heavily loaded top to bottom. But definitely some good players... So my expectations remain muted for Gilman this year....but what a fun win for them.

Anything can happen. And it's super early so both teams will likely have some positive takeaways.

I thought Gilman #9 would be the hero but it was #5 with the outside bomb. I don’t care who the school is, I love any game where the students mob-rush the team after a victory! Very cool.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great win for the Hounds. I guess it remains to be seen how good GP is this year, not massive expectations, but I think it’s safe to say this was a game Gilman was unlikely to have won the past few years.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Boys Latin beat St Thomas Aquinas of Florida 11-5. STA has great athletes. I’m sure BL was surprised some.

I notice that the MIAA’s St Paul’s is playing Torrey Pines and St Ignatius Prep this week, in California. Man times change, lol; anyone’s high school ever traveled cross country? Did they charter??

In any event, St Igbatius has a great team this year and will be revved to play the St Paul’s boys. I heard from my buddies in Maryland however that this could be St Paul’s best team in over a decade. I’ll be interested seeing final scores. Good luck to all!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Boys Latin beat St Thomas Aquinas of Florida 11-5. STA has great athletes. I’m sure BL was surprised some.

I notice that the MIAA’s St Paul’s is playing Torrey Pines and St Ignatius Prep this week, in California. Man times change, lol; anyone’s high school ever traveled cross country? Did they charter??

In any event, St Igbatius has a great team this year and will be revved to play the St Paul’s boys. I heard from my buddies in Maryland however that this could be St Paul’s best team in over a decade. I’ll be interested seeing final scores. Good luck to all!
Yes, seems a little crazy to go to California to get good competition, but the school and its parents do support travel...and it's a spring break trip, just a bit more expensive one! (I very much doubt charter ;) )

I hadn't heard that this might be their best team in a decade, but it's certainly possible. Gotta go back aways to get to a team that challenged for #1 in MIAA, if I recall correctly (might not!)...I know their last championship was 2010.

They just beat Landon 11-10; does anyone know whether they cleaned up in the four scrimmages?
Slim

Post by Slim »

I know in 2014, SP lost to an undefeated BL team in the MIAA Championship game. The Crusaders also made the semis in 2015 losing to eventual champ, St Mary's. It's been a minute since...

When was the last time Gilman contested for #1 in the MIAA, or went deep in the playoffs? Coach Matthews led them to the 2011 title. In 2014, the Hounds suffered a tough overtime loss to SP in the semifinals. They really haven't sniffed the playoffs since.

How about Loyola? The 2013 went on Cinderella-run beating a stacked BL team in the finals. Since then, a host of semifinal appearances from the Dons, but no title games or championships.

St. Mary's won it in 2015 led by dominating faceoffs of the Big Cat, Andrew Woodhall, and star keeper Tim Troutner. They've made the title game on two occasions in recent years under Coach Lily.

What about Severn? I think Coach Tucker took them deep in the semi's in 2006 or '07? And, in recent years they made a run to the semi's again in 2016 (not sure who was coaching at that point?).

Seems like since, it's been BL, McD, or CH forever now. Change would be "good for league", but most likely will follow script of recent Super Bowls this spring, according to the experts.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:29 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Boys Latin beat St Thomas Aquinas of Florida 11-5. STA has great athletes. I’m sure BL was surprised some.

Yes, seems a little crazy to go to California to get good competition, but the school and its parents do support travel...and it's a spring break trip, just a bit more expensive one! (I very much doubt charter ;) )

I hadn't heard that this might be their best team in a decade, but it's certainly possible. Gotta go back aways to get to a team that challenged for #1 in MIAA, if I recall correctly (might not!)...I know their last championship was 2010.

They just beat Landon 11-10; does anyone know whether they cleaned up in the four scrimmages?

I think I’m going to inquire about the charter possibility. 😂

I’ve got a few friends with deep ties to the school. They assure me this is SP’s year. I don’t know if they’re being objective though. I’ll tell you the game against St Ignatius will not be easy; that’s another squad which has a lot of great talent. Don’t underestimate California lacrosse.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:29 pm

I think I’m going to inquire about the charter possibility. 😂

I’ve got a few friends with deep ties to the school. They assure me this is SP’s year. I don’t know if they’re being objective though. I’ll tell you the game against St Ignatius will not be easy; that’s another squad which has a lot of great talent. Don’t underestimate California lacrosse.
not me, my son played with multiple CA players in college.
Two from St. Ignatius Prep, one was 4X All-Ivy, 1X AA. All solid players.

And if I'm not mistaken, St Ignatius Prep has traveled east before and upset top teams. Can't really call it an upset anymore as they're a known powerhouse. Torrey Pines is another excellent program...there are several now that can challenge top east coast teams year after year.

As an MIAA 'homer', I'll be rooting for St. Paul's but it would not surprise me if they came back with a split or even 0-2.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

The conference is pretty good this year.
In no order, CalvertH, BL, Mcdonogh and Loyola are the early final four favorites. All have lots of talent and are deep.
But I think St. Paul's is right there. Crusies are loaded on offense. Defense is talented, but young. They will need consistent special teams, faceoff and goalkeeping to make that run in May.
Spalding, Severn are wild cards.
St Mary's graduated a lot, but should still be solid.
Gilman, JC and MSJ are likely improved from a year ago, but not sure it will be reflected in the standings.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”