York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
StevieUAlum

Re: York 2024

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 pm
Backlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:41 pm No doubt going to be an epic battle.
it’s going to be interesting. anything can happen. york D is solid. fogo is one of the best. this should limit stevenson possessions and keep the score down. York offense leader is started to hit his stride. last 4 games with 15 goals.
Faceoffs are definitely my biggest concern. Halpins stats look great for Stevie but he's notorious for NEVER showing up against quality opponents. Hoping they catch Scorese on a good day, he's been hot and cold all year.

I think this game is a barn burner, not a ton of scoring. Stevensons offense has most definitely proven its stronger than Yorks thus far, both defenses are solid. If I had to guess, this game comes down to who has the ball last. Hoping my guys pull out a close one.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Hoping for a good one here as well.

A few winnable games leading up to Stevenson might be just what the Spartan offense needs in order to finally find some semblance of consistency/a flow, after an OOC that gave them no wiggle room. That said, hopefully they’re not looking past Eastern this Saturday. That is a veteran team with a chip on their shoulder.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:35 am
I think this game is a barn burner, not a ton of scoring. Stevensons offense has most definitely proven its stronger than Yorks thus far, both defenses are solid.
i am having a hard time following this. how has stevenson definitely proven to have a stronger offense. these teams have 5 similar opponents. york has scored more goals in 4 of the 5 games. stevenson only has more vs (unranked)F&M

stevenson has played 6 ranked teams and has not had double digit goals in any

i think york offense is just slightly down from last year and stevenson is slightly up. but that doesn’t get them “definitely stronger”. by all accounts, york is the stronger offense.

now that i have dived deeper into the details of these two teams.

defense. advantage york
fogo. advantage york
offense. advantage york
goalie still undetermined since york swapped goalies a few weeks ago

as i said, anything can happen. looking forward to the game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I think the results vs same opponents reflects that these teams are overall very close in where they stand at the moment. York yielding more favorable scores vs Dickinson and Salisbury, Stevenson yielding more favorable scores vs Gettysburg and F&M, and both with matching 1 goal wins over W&L.

Forgoing any pointless extrapolation, such as how York’s more favorable scores are vs the stronger opponents, we benefit from actually getting to find out a week from tomorrow, in the first of what is likely to be a two game series where the second game is the only one that actually counts.

Cantabene’s healthy ego has taken some serious lumps over the last few years at the hands of the Spartans. I expect him to have his men fired up to come out swinging, pushing the pace. York will need to avoid a slow start, control the pace offensively, suffocate them defensively, and capitalize on any mistakes made as the Mustangs try rushing to get in the first few goals.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:30 am
I think this game is a barn burner, not a ton of scoring. Stevensons offense has most definitely proven its stronger than Yorks thus far, both defenses are solid.
i am having a hard time following this. how has stevenson definitely proven to have a stronger offense. these teams have 5 similar opponents. york has scored more goals in 4 of the 5 games. stevenson only has more vs (unranked)F&M

i think york offense is just slightly down from last year and stevenson is slightly up. but that doesn’t get them “definitely stronger”. by all accounts, york is the stronger offense.

defense. advantage york
fogo. advantage york
offense. advantage york

13 goals against Alvernia......not taking a shot at York. But Stevensons offense right now is most definitely clicking better than Yorks.

Comparing scores does nothing. It's a what have you done for me lately game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:13 pm 13 goals against Alvernia...

Comparing scores does nothing….
We can’t only acknowledge scores when they suit our preexisting beliefs, and toss the rest.

I would be lying if I said that I watched video of the game, I was glued to the Messiah Eastern broadcast. But I’m looking forward to an exciting one with Stevenson next Wednesday, just not until after Eastern on Saturday.

Eastern should be hungry after that tough loss last night to Messiah. They are a talented and experienced team, and not to be underestimated.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 am

We can’t only acknowledge scores when they suit our preexisting beliefs, and toss the rest.

I would be lying if I said that I watched video of the game, I was glued to the Messiah Eastern broadcast. But I’m looking forward to an exciting one with Stevenson next Wednesday, just not until after Eastern on Saturday.

Eastern should be hungry after that tough loss last night to Messiah. They are a talented and experienced team, and not to be underestimated.
Comparing scores and goal differential vs common opponents is entirely different than acknowledging the fact that typically York would score 20+ historically against teams like Alvernia.

Yorks offense has struggled mightily this year and it has been well documented. Whereas Stevenson has hit its stride offensively as of late.

Nothing wrong with speaking the truth. Everyone gets so offended when someone doesn't agree with them.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

just a quick look at the box score and stevenson top scorer (starter) was still in and scoring goals the entire first half. his last goal of the first half, with 30 seconds and up by 20. not sure this is the flex stevie thinks it was. most teams pull starters when up by 10. still bringing in your starters for EMO when up by 25? why?

the concern is that york only had two goals the first quarter.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:28 am

We can’t only acknowledge scores when they suit our preexisting beliefs, and toss the rest…
Comparing scores and goal differential vs common opponents is entirely different than acknowledging the fact that typically York would score 20+ historically against teams like Alvernia…

Nothing wrong with speaking the truth. Everyone gets so offended when someone doesn't agree with them.
:roll: Not offended in the slightest. I apologize if I came across that way.

Yes, they have historically dropped 20 on teams like Alvernia. As historically as 5 days ago when they dropped 20 on Albright. Again, tossing scores that don’t fit.

Their offense has struggled to be consistent this year, but that’s against a murderers row of some of the best teams in the country. Like I said, I didn’t watch last nights game, so I can’t speak to the whys and hows of it. But they scored 10 against top 10 Gettysburg seven days ago as well, so with out watching, I feel confident that they used the opportunity last night to try some different things that you won’t likely see vs Stevenson.

I’m looking forward to good games, both Saturday and Wednesday.
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

personal opinions ≠ 'the truth'...
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:13 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:30 am

defense. advantage york
fogo. advantage york
offense. advantage york

13 goals against Alvernia......not taking a shot at York. But Stevensons offense right now is most definitely clicking better than Yorks.

Comparing scores does nothing. It's a what have you done for me lately game.
You really cant take anything away from the 13 goals in this game. York had pulled many of their starters by the 2nd-3rd quarter. Had they not have done that, the score would have been much higher. Not denying that York has had some offensive troubles of late, but they do appear to be getting hotter against weaker competition.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:30 am

just a quick look at the box score and stevenson top scorer (starter) was still in and scoring goals the entire first half. his last goal of the first half, with 30 seconds and up by 20. not sure this is the flex stevie thinks it was. most teams pull starters when up by 10. still bringing in your starters for EMO when up by 25? why?

Cantabene has been doing this for over a decade. You'd know that if you watch closely. It's also the reason Cantabene is liked by so few, if you don't want them to score then stop them. Pretty simple concept.

Being tied after a a full quarter with the MACs worst team over the last decade is concerning and only scoring two goals in their first quarter should be concerning. Furthermore if your backups can't pile it on like they should that's a depth issue.

The bottom line is that Stevensons offense is more of threat to date than Yorks. It's not a bias, it's just a simple fact. I'm not saying that translates to Stevenson beating them but my god people throw your feelings and biases out the window. If you can't, don't post in here :?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ok, Is the point that you want people to agree with you that Stevenson’s offense is better at the moment?

I rattled off their scores vs mutual opponents, and how they were comparable (if not for York’s better showings vs the better teams). Suppose Stevenson drops 30 on Alvernia Saturday, but then loses on Wednesday. Does the award for most goals scored vs lessor opponents have a name?

The banter is fun and appreciated, especially leading up to a game that hasn’t had this much potential to be close in years. I like to keep it cordial, and despite not having a lick of respect for their coach, I am happy that Stevenson is righting the ship. The MAC-C is better with stronger members, and I look forward to a season where there are 4 teams in the conference that are nationally relevant.

We will see how this particular game plays out soon enough. I do like how you left yourself that little out, that having the better offense doesn’t necessarily mean they will win the game BTW.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:44 pm

Cantabene has been doing this for over a decade. You'd know that if you watch closely. It's also the reason Cantabene is liked by so few, if you don't want them to score then stop them. Pretty simple concept.

Being tied after a a full quarter with the MACs worst team over the last decade is concerning and only scoring two goals in their first quarter should be concerning. Furthermore if your backups can't pile it on like they should that's a depth issue.

The bottom line is that Stevensons offense is more of threat to date than Yorks. It's not a bias, it's just a simple fact. I'm not saying that translates to Stevenson beating them but my god people throw your feelings and biases out the window. If you can't, don't post in here :?
you keep saying this, but there is nothing to back it up. i guess you have different definition for the word “fact”. i posted comparable games the other day and york offense scored more than stevenson in every game except f&m. and as you just confirmed, york clears the bench and stevenson doesn’t. maybe take your own advice with the feelings comment.

every team matches up differently then others, so saying that since york scored more against 80% of similar teams doesn’t mean they will score more against anyone else.
the facts / stats, results all show that york offense is scoring more than stevenson vs similar opponents. i am curious what “facts” you are using to show stevenson offense is definitely playing better.
i posted my examples. those stats/facts/results also show that york fogo and defense have an advantage over stevenson.
but you never know, maybe stevenson can shut down the york offense and frustrate the york fogo, and run circles around the york defense. we won’t know until they play.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:07 pm

you keep saying this, but there is nothing to back it up. i guess you have different definition for the word “fact”. i posted comparable games the other day and york offense scored more than stevenson in every game except f&m. and as you just confirmed, york clears the bench and stevenson doesn’t. maybe take your own advice with the feelings comment.

every team matches up differently then others, so saying that since york scored more against 80% of similar teams doesn’t mean they will score more against anyone else.
the facts / stats, results all show that york offense is scoring more than stevenson vs similar opponents. i am curious what “facts” you are using to show stevenson offense is definitely playing better.
i posted my examples. those stats/facts/results also show that york fogo and defense have an advantage over stevenson.
but you never know, maybe stevenson can shut down the york offense and frustrate the york fogo, and run circles around the york defense. we won’t know until they play.
I will say it again. Comparing scores against common opponents means absolutely nothing.

I've also agreed with you regarding Yorks strengths, and I have sung their praises throughout the entirety of the season. I've even gone so far as to own the fact that Stevenson doesn't matchup as well in your aforementioned posts. Specifically at the faceoff dot.

But if we're comparing offensive outputs over the last month, Stevensons offense has been better than Yorks. That's a fact.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 pm

I will say it again. Comparing scores against common opponents means absolutely nothing.

I've also agreed with you regarding Yorks strengths, and I have sung their praises throughout the entirety of the season. I've even gone so far as to own the fact that Stevenson doesn't matchup as well in your aforementioned posts. Specifically at the faceoff dot.

But if we're comparing offensive outputs over the last month, Stevensons offense has been better than Yorks. That's a fact.
this has to be a parody account. so stevensville over the past month has not played a ranked team. and you are proud that the coach keeps the starters in, while up by 25. and this is your key point that makes you think they are playing great.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:27 pm
StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 pm

this has to be a parody account. so stevensville over the past month has not played a ranked team. and you are proud that the coach keeps the starters in, while up by 25. and this is your key point that makes you think they are playing great.
Going off of what I see live. I have the chance to watch both of these teams play, both within 30 minutes to an hour of where I live.

Just a statement based off the lacrosse I've seen both these teams play as of late. The vitriol you all spew in here is wild, I'm glad I do this for fun and don't take this too seriously like some of you in here :shock:
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

You all are being patient here...this guy's schtick is fanboying while saying anyone who disagrees is emotional and biased. Rivalry obviously starting to heat up! Should be a fun pair of games this season with the AQ as important as it is, no real dog in the fight and always enjoy watching this from the outside.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

liongoes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:55 am You all are being patient here...this guy's schtick is fanboying while saying anyone who disagrees is emotional and biased. Rivalry obviously starting to heat up! Should be a fun pair of games this season with the AQ as important as it is, no real dog in the fight and always enjoy watching this from the outside.

Fanboying? Over who? Go read all my previous posts from months ago. Singing Yorks praises, talking about how good of a coach Childs is and how he's shaped this program into a contender, the proof is in the pudding. It is hilarious when I disagree once and then stand on my opinion, the reaction I get from the casuals.

And if we really want to talk rivalry? Sure York has beaten Stevenson and won the AQ the last 3 years.....But I graduated in 2014 (with a ring). There was NO rivalry in this matchup until they came to the MAC. Dont get me going.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Big one today vs a senoir laden Eastern team. Also a good opportunity to gain more offensive traction and take yet another step towards towards .500.

Dominate the dot, which has been a hole for Eastern. Lock down the Fanelli brothers on the defensive side, and work on ball movement & off-ball movement on offense.

Give me 15-8 York.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”