York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MacAttack

Re: York 2024

Post by MacAttack »

Good for York to get in the win column against Denison last week. It was great to see Harnick on target, this team will need him if they want to string some wins together. I liked some of the other changes too, but even with those changes it took goals from their LSM and FOGO to get them over the hump. A win is a win, but I am sweating bullets for their upcoming game against Gettysburg.
See what I did there?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MacAttack wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:56 am Good for York to get in the win column against Denison last week. It was great to see Harnick on target, this team will need him if they want to string some wins together. I liked some of the other changes too, but even with those changes it took goals from their LSM and FOGO to get them over the hump. A win is a win, but I am sweating bullets for their upcoming game against Gettysburg.
See what I did there?
york offense is still trying to figure things out. concerning since we are half way through the season. with injuries and youth, they can’t seem to figure out who they want out there. defense is playing great. fogo and goalie seems to be back on track. if York gets the offense rolling, this team can make some noise.

Gettysburg is having a similar season as York. some head scratching results. noting amazing and nothing very alarming. i expect a close game.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

At this stage in the season remarkable that over 50% of York’s games have been decided by a goal. Gburg has some definite issues on face offs, this will be Gburg’s issue in this contest. I expect a big game from Facciponti
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:18 pm At this stage in the season remarkable that over 50% of York’s games have been decided by a goal. Gburg has some definite issues on face offs, this will be Gburg’s issue in this contest. I expect a big game from Facciponti
Here’s hoping. A win over Gettysburg before rolling into the conference portion of the schedule would be fantastic.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ooooff. Another tough game to watch. This offense is like a dish made of the finest ingredients, just not ready to take out of the oven yet.

On a side-note, the Gettysburg announcers were a pleasure to listen to. Knowledgeable on lacrosse and had clearly familiarized themselves with the rosters. Very good on the call.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

just not ready to take out of the oven yet.
They need to get it out of the oven soon, there is a month left in the season. A couple of weeks ago the losses didn't concern me as they were to good teams and I thought the AQ would be a lock. Now I'm not so sure. Stevenson has scored more goals in a half tonight against F&M than York did the entire game. Now they have lost a bit of a head scratcher(Grove City) and were handled by the Bullets. With 7 losses now, if they do win the AQ they will get a tough draw like last year. Hopefully they right the ship. Looking forward to the match up with Stevenson!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

For sure. Don’t know how much change is in store in the weeks remaining. Loss today or not, they weren’t getting a favorable draw (should they earn the AQ). I too am excited for the Stevenson game(s). This year will likely see a more contested AQ than the last few years.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:14 pm
They need to get it out of the oven soon, there is a month left in the season. A couple of weeks ago the losses didn't concern me as they were to good teams and I thought the AQ would be a lock. Now I'm not so sure. Stevenson has scored more goals in a half tonight against F&M than York did the entire game. Now they have lost a bit of a head scratcher(Grove City) and were handled by the Bullets. With 7 losses now, if they do win the AQ they will get a tough draw like last year. Hopefully they right the ship. Looking forward to the match up with Stevenson!
i watched the game. i don’t think i would say that York was handled by Gettysburg. york made a lot of self inflicted mistakes. the box score york won faceoffs 24-5. ground balls 40-28. clears, but lost turnovers 24-18. the issue for York is not just the offense, there are issues with everything. the only part of the team that doesn’t concern me is faceoff. don’t get me wrong. offense is a major concern. the offense is flat footed. no off ball movement. york offense looks like it’s one v one. if that doesn’t work. pass to someone else and let them try one v one.

i think york had a bad first seed last year because they were ranked in the mid teens. Tufts was #1 or #2. so they got the bottom seed first round #32 then you had two right in the middle. York and Cabrini. probably #14, #15 , #16 range. this year, if they win the MAC, i would expect York somewhere in the low 20’s. that should get them first round vs. team in the 10-14 range. second round could be a team in the 6-8 range.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:17 pm For sure. Don’t know how much change is in store in the weeks remaining. Loss today or not, they weren’t getting a favorable draw (should they earn the AQ). I too am excited for the Stevenson game(s). This year will likely see a more contested AQ than the last few years.
Hoping for a much more competitive AQ as well this year!

Like my guys chances more than I have in the past 2-3 years since York joined the MAC. This is budding into a nice rivalry, used to be a great OOC game and enjoyed my head to heads with York!

I had York going at least .500 thought this gauntlet of an OOC schedule, that being said 3-7 with a chance at the AQ means there's a lot to play for! On a personal level, had the opportunity to coach Coleton Mahorney in club, love the kid and hoping he keeps scoring and helping York grab some wins! (Just not against my guys) :lol:
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:53 pm
YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:14 pm
i watched the game. i don’t think i would say that York was handled by Gettysburg. york made a lot of self inflicted mistakes. the box score york won faceoffs 24-5. ground balls 40-28. clears, but lost turnovers 24-18. the issue for York is not just the offense, there are issues with everything. the only part of the team that doesn’t concern me is faceoff. don’t get me wrong. offense is a major concern. the offense is flat footed. no off ball movement. york offense looks like it’s one v one. if that doesn’t work. pass to someone else and let them try one v one.

i think york had a bad first seed last year because they were ranked in the mid teens. Tufts was #1 or #2. so they got the bottom seed first round #32 then you had two right in the middle. York and Cabrini. probably #14, #15 , #16 range. this year, if they win the MAC, i would expect York somewhere in the low 20’s. that should get them first round vs. team in the 10-14 range. second round could be a team in the 6-8 range.
As a self admitted Gettysburg homer, and I watched the game from the stands I Would say Gettysburg did handle York. The ground ball difference can be explained by the FO butt kicking York put on. Gettysburg's defense did not allow many settled 6 v 6 goals and forced a ton of turnovers. Gettysburg's offense moved the ball well and controlled the pace of the game (which is what you need to do if you can't win a faceoff, 1 EMO goal if I remember). After the first qtr Gettysburg really controlled the game and York never really made serious challenge. Anyway everyone sees the game differently, good luck in the MAC
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxdds wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 am
As a self admitted Gettysburg homer, and I watched the game from the stands I Would say Gettysburg did handle York. The ground ball difference can be explained by the FO butt kicking York put on. Gettysburg's defense did not allow many settled 6 v 6 goals and forced a ton of turnovers. Gettysburg's offense moved the ball well and controlled the pace of the game (which is what you need to do if you can't win a faceoff, 1 EMO goal if I remember). After the first qtr Gettysburg really controlled the game and York never really made serious challenge. Anyway everyone sees the game differently, good luck in the MAC
perspective is probably different in person. i saw a nice defensive yard sale from Gettysburg. but from broadcast, it looked like most of the York turnovers were catching and throwing issues. one time, york ball carrier just wondered off sides while setting up for a play. you make a valid point on the ground balls. with a 90% faceoff advantage, that’s a lot of ground balls.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:21 am
Laxdds wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 am
perspective is probably different in person. i saw a nice defensive yard sale from Gettysburg. but from broadcast, it looked like most of the York turnovers were catching and throwing issues. one time, york ball carrier just wondered off sides while setting up for a play. you make a valid point on the ground balls. with a 90% faceoff advantage, that’s a lot of ground balls.
The weather certainly didn't help with the turnovers on both teams and the guy who stepped offsides simply lost his place on the field. Of Yorks 24 TO's 15 were caused, Gettysburg's defense stripped the ball at least 3-4 times that's just good defense. The Bullets play their Kryptonite (Swarthmore) on Saturday so we will see what they can do then.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

At this point York is AQ or bust. And at this point, Stevie is playing better.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Backlax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:12 pm At this point York is AQ or bust. And at this point, Stevie is playing better.
i agree with your first comment. still undetermined on the second commmet.

similar opponents.
W&L. both won +1
Gettysburgh York -5 Stevenson -2
Dickinson York -3 Stevenson -8
Salisbury York -6 Stevenson -10
F&M York +9 Stevenson +10

combined York is -4. Stevenson is -9
advantage York

non similar ranked opponents .

York
RPI -1
RIT -1
SJF -1

Stevenson
CNU -5
Lynchburgh -6

every ranked team York has played, is ranked higher then the Stevenson ranked teams. york is averaging -1. stevenson average loss -5.5. advantage York

the game will be tough. but at this point, everything looks like York is playing better.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

LAJ - you have good insight and statistical analysis. The eye test says SU is playing better than YCP. Definitely a 1 bid league. With all of the parity, why take a mediocre team that didn't win the league? I'll look back - does either team really have a significant W?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

The good thing is, they’re probably gonna play each other twice and we will all know who’s the better team when all said and done! Comparing scores against common opponents are challenging. Look at Tufts versus Weslyean . No one would’ve thought Wesl wins that game based on common opponents.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Backlax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:59 pm LAJ - you have good insight and statistical analysis. The eye test says SU is playing better than YCP. Definitely a 1 bid league. With all of the parity, why take a mediocre team that didn't win the league? I'll look back - does either team really have a significant W?
i agreed with you on the 1 bid from the MAC. baring some unusual circumstances (like every other conference beating each other up to end up with several 5 and 6 loss teams)

i still say the two teams are playing equal. as i pointed out with comparable opponents, the scores are similar. both beat up on other MAC opponents today. and as you said, neither team has a significant win.

actually very similar to 2023. yorks best win was Denison and Stevenson. 2024 they also beat Denison but also have W&L

the Stevenson game will be interesting. the Mac championship will be just as important as last year.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Maybe I can be a tie breaker here as I saw both W&L/Stevenson and W&L/York games. Overall I thought for a first game of the year W&L played well against York, they were at full strength but made a switch in the goal after that game. W&L did not have a good night against Stevenson. They were down several starters and do think the RIT match up and adrenaline from that game was a factor. I thought Stevenson played well against the Gennies that night. I have to lean into York for this game, overall strength on face offs and D. Going with York in a tough game undecided until the 4th qtr. Going by the eye test
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

No doubt going to be an epic battle.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Backlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:41 pm No doubt going to be an epic battle.
it’s going to be interesting. anything can happen. york D is solid. fogo is one of the best. this should limit stevenson possessions and keep the score down. York offense leader is started to hit his stride. last 4 games with 15 goals.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”