York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: York 2024

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:09 pm my assessment of yesterdays game.

the good. 23 at fogo stepped up and dominated in the first half. things eventually settled down and he finished above 50%. the entire defense stepped up and played great. considering this was the best offense in the country, holding Salisbury to 37 shots. a season low for both Salisbury offense and York defense. i think York D did great. offense midfield was strong. 7,13,19,44 got most of the runs and combined for 8 of the 11 goals. the final plus is going to the coaching staff for making the adjustment at goalie. i know that has to be tough to pull a senior. but with 15 shots on goal, and only 2 saves, it had to happen. if york could have just saved 50% which is pretty average, that could have prevented 6 or 7 of the goals. i wasn’t in cage, so i don’t know how many of those were screened or point blank. but…

the concerns concerns. in my opinion. york needs to see more production from the offense, particularly attack. 2023, the top 4 points leaders were attack. they averaged 8 goals per game in 2023. this year, the top 4 attack are averaging 4 goals per game. Do they miss #4 that much? or is this new attack line still getting comfortable playing together?

the toughest part of the schedule is over. if York smooths out some of the bumps, they could be able to run the table. if they can’t figure out the little issues, that stevenson game could be a nail biter to see who makes the post season.
Offensively, I think that their scoring is simply more balanced. if you look at the common opponents from last year they have actually scored more against them this year. I think that they are still searching for that Lefty on the attack as they have struggled at that spot in the last 2 games with their lefty attack getting shorted and shut out this past weekend. Maybe Townsend gets a chance to be that lefty finisher or maybe you see Kaplan get more run at attack
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:09 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:09 pm my assessment of yesterdays game.

the good. 23 at fogo stepped up and dominated in the first half. things eventually settled down and he finished above 50%. the entire defense stepped up and played great. considering this was the best offense in the country, holding Salisbury to 37 shots. a season low for both Salisbury offense and York defense. i think York D did great. offense midfield was strong. 7,13,19,44 got most of the runs and combined for 8 of the 11 goals. the final plus is going to the coaching staff for making the adjustment at goalie. i know that has to be tough to pull a senior. but with 15 shots on goal, and only 2 saves, it had to happen. if york could have just saved 50% which is pretty average, that could have prevented 6 or 7 of the goals. i wasn’t in cage, so i don’t know how many of those were screened or point blank. but…

the concerns concerns. in my opinion. york needs to see more production from the offense, particularly attack. 2023, the top 4 points leaders were attack. they averaged 8 goals per game in 2023. this year, the top 4 attack are averaging 4 goals per game. Do they miss #4 that much? or is this new attack line still getting comfortable playing together?

the toughest part of the schedule is over. if York smooths out some of the bumps, they could be able to run the table. if they can’t figure out the little issues, that stevenson game could be a nail biter to see who makes the post season.
Offensively, I think that their scoring is simply more balanced. if you look at the common opponents from last year they have actually scored more against them this year. I think that they are still searching for that Lefty on the attack as they have struggled at that spot in the last 2 games with their lefty attack getting shorted and shut out this past weekend. Maybe Townsend gets a chance to be that lefty finisher or maybe you see Kaplan get more run at attack
this makes sense.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

weather is supposed to be great for early friday and all day saturday. york should get the games in before any heat or rain show up.
looking at the predictions for this weekend, seems about half are picking York and half think they will lose.
my keys to victory for York are quick start. rotate the fogos since they have two games in a row. value possessions (try to avoid the quick shots in the first 5 seconds of possession) and have defense keep doing what they have been doing.

curious who will start in goal since the change was made.

curious how healthy the offense mid line is. Are 26 and 22 healthy? will they see time? will 13 continue to get time.

i think york should win both games.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

tough loss for York today. looking at the box score

clears 19 of 27. while St Lawrence was 19 of 20. that’s 7 extra possessions for St Lawrence

faceoff. 8 of 21 38%. why not give one of the others a chance here and there, just to shake up timing.

offensive points…. 6 of 8 goals from midfield. where is the attack?

york started the game down 4 before they got going.

these are all things that can be fixed, but coaching needs to initiate the change.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 pm tough loss for York today. looking at the box score

clears 19 of 27. while St Lawrence was 19 of 20. that’s 7 extra possessions for St Lawrence

faceoff. 8 of 21 38%. why not give one of the others a chance here and there, just to shake up timing.

these are all things that can be fixed, but coaching needs to initiate the change.

Tough loss for York. Despite all of that still took the game to OT. Good thing is they have a great opportunity to bounce back tomorrow against Dickinson. Should be a good one.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 pm tough loss for York today. looking at the box score

You are right about the coaching
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

LETS GO YORK!
This team has shown a lot of grit and fight during arguably the hardest schedule in the sport. No doubt they've learned a lot about personnel and scheme and what can be tweaked, and they're getting to the point in the season where they'll adjust and prepare to make a run at the NCAA's. Looking forward to watching that happen
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

tough weekend for York. curious to hear what the york supporters have to say. where did you expect them to be at this point. what does it mean moving forward.
i thought they would have a better record then 2-5. i was thinking more like 4-3
The W&L win isn’t looking as impressive. but the one goal loss to RPI, RIT and St Lawrence is looking more impressive. Is winning the MAC the only option to advance?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm tough weekend for York. curious to hear what the york supporters have to say. where did you expect them to be at this point. what does it mean moving forward.
i thought they would have a better record then 2-5. i was thinking more like 4-3
The W&L win isn’t looking as impressive. but the one goal loss to RPI, RIT and St Lawrence is looking more impressive. Is winning the MAC the only option to advance?
Yes. 2-5 is not what I had hoped for come mid March. The close losses to top teams shows that the ceiling for this group is quite high, however they needed to take more than one of those close games to give themselves an “at large” opportunity. They have some young players in key spots getting looks vs the top teams in the country, and that bodes well for future years in a post COVID landscape.

For this year IMO they’ll need the AQ, and Stevenson is no slouch. And they won’t get any love as far as the quadrant goes should they get there (they rarely have). That said, they hove shown via their scores that they can hang with anyone, and if they do make it, a “top in-quadrant team” won’t be happy drawing them early.

I’d love to see them tighten up, win out, and make a run.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

I initially pegged them at 3-4 with the third win being Dickinson. That said, tell me if I’m overthinking but one thing that concerns me isn’t “close” losses but moreso consistently playing from behind, or, playing while not holding a lead. It’s tough to get into a rhythm when consistently pressed and this year I’m a little more alarmed by this.

In the 5 losses, they led RPI for the first 22 minutes, Salisbury for the first 15, never lead RIT or St Lawrence and only led the Dickinson for the first 2 minutes. Add it up and out of 300 minutes, they lead for 39 minutes total. And yes, I am aware there were some “the game is tied” moments that I am ignoring but by and large this team has not had the luxury of playing with the lead and establishing the rhythm of the game. I get that they made several tremendous comebacks only to fall short but this seems to be a recurring detrimental pattern this year that, to me, as an outsider who simply loves great D3 lacrosse, feels more troubling than it may have in the past. Am I overthinking?

Also, I agree with Deep…this just isn’t a team you want to square off with in an early round of the tourney as they tend to make you work a lot harder than some of their similarly ranked opponents (yes, I am aware of the Tufts debacle but you get my overall point). Based on the current year final scores, they are quite capable of putting together a run and beating quite a few highly ranked teams. If I were Gettysburg, I'd still be wary of playing this "5 loss team", as the record doesn't totally reflect their talent but moreso that they battled 5 top-8 teams and didn't come out on top. Great learning lessons to build on into the future.

Best wishes going forward!!!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

D3 Fan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:26 pm …In the 5 losses, they led RPI for the first 22 minutes, Salisbury for the first 15, never lead RIT or St Lawrence and only led the Dickinson for the first 2 minutes. Add it up and out of 300 minutes, they lead for 39 minutes total. And yes, I am aware there were some “the game is tied” moments that I am ignoring but by and large this team has not had the luxury of playing with the lead and establishing the rhythm of the game. I get that they made several tremendous comebacks only to fall short but this seems to be a recurring detrimental pattern this year that, to me, as an outsider who simply loves great D3 lacrosse, feels more troubling than it may have in the past. Am I overthinking? …
Going with your ”playing with a lead” concept, I did some poking around on York’s opponents in their 5 losses and how lead times in wins vs teams ranked better than York compared to those vs York.

In RIT’s wins, York never lead, W&L never lead, and Tufts lead for 2 min 39 seconds.

In Salisbury’s wins, York lead for 12 min 26 sec, Lynchburg lead for 3 min 39 sec, and Gettysburg lead for 1 min 11 sec.

In St Lawrence’s wins, York never lead, and CNU lead for 5 min 2 sec.

Even going beyond wins vs teams ranked better than York, and looking at wins vs any top 20 team, the only real outliers I found where the losing team held a lead for any significant time were Middlebury’s lead in RPI’s comeback over them, and Kenyon’s lead in Dickinson’s comeback over them.

So while I would love to see York carry momentum, spend more time with the lead and flip a few of these games, them trailing appears more a testament to the quality of the opponents, and a trend that when a team wins they generally hold the lead more. York is ranked #16. Their five losses are to #1, #2, #4, #6 and #7.

Best wishes to your Gulls the rest of the way too. I see an NC in their future.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

absolutely, had higher expectations, and there are definitely issues that need to be addressed but, will the staff address them is the question.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Asgot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am absolutely, had higher expectations, and there are definitely issues that need to be addressed but, will the staff address them is the question.
i see 4 major issues with this team. coaches addressed three of them. clearing seems to be the new issue and i am sure coaches will work on that this week. if the teams sticks with the three changes that happened in the last game, i think york will be in good shape.
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:25 pm
Not Suitable wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:49 am
RussianTroll wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:10 pm York wish every night that they are real New York,
But he knew that this.
One hell of a sentence right here.
No cursing on the platform please and thank you
:lol:
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

grove city tomorrow. calling for rain wind and cold. looks like the rain could end before the game. i see that salisbury moved their game from windy rainy saturday, to tonight. would be nice to see some other teams move games out of crappy weather to a sunday.

back to the game.
grove city might be better than Denison this year. but i still expect york to win comfortably.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Streaming was fine but w/o commentary it was difficult to follow the last several minutes of Q 4. It appeared York got an unreleasable bench penalty? Shortly thereafter a GC coach was walked off the field by a ref? Then play resumed.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

York at 2-6, never thought that would be possible with all they brought back. Played so many good teams tight, despite their record I would not want to see them in the tournament
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Really not sure what to say or think after this one. That was one of the flattest offensive performances I’ve seen out of this team in a long time. Bad games happen, but this offensive group needs to dig deep and decide if they still have the fire to back up the winning tradition that is York Lacrosse. Efforts like that against mediocore teams at best will not get it done.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:01 pm York at 2-6, never thought that would be possible with all they brought back. Played so many good teams tight, despite their record I would not want to see them in the tournament
Hard to imagine they get a bid without the AQ at this point, regardless of their SOS.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

A 7 loss York team will not get an at large bid! No chance!!! It is conference tournament champions or out.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”