sholokov2

Re: UVA 2024

Post by sholokov2 »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:10 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:35 am
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:49 pm
coda wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm Cormier passes Doug Knight for all-time goals. Like Cormier, but mixed on this. That extra Covid year is going to change record books
Yeah there has been serious record inflation with the advent of the shot clock and the extra Covid year coming in quick succession. Knight's record stood for years despite a laundry list of great UVA attachments coming through. His points record actually would've fallen in 2020 if not for Covid, given that Kraus lost his senior season and didn't take a 5th year. But since then, it seems like every great UVA attack man that's come through with that extra year has had that record in sight.
Cormier got the record in fewer games than Knight played in, so deserved, and a great achievement. Clearly, the game has changed from when Knight played and the shot clock has been a major contributor to that. Lesser talented teams can no longer stall, as a strategy, for lengthy periods so teams have to run their offense unlike in the Knight era. IMO, that has been a positive change for the game, and yes that will result in many old records getting broken. 2 commonalities between Knight and Cormier are that each played with 2 of Virginia's greatest attack men of all time in Watson and Shellenberger occupying the opponent's #1 pole.

I wouldn’t have any idea where or how to locate this, but I think we need to factor in the “shot-to-goal conversion %” (as well as the shot clock) for Krauss (I know how to get Cormier’s).

Cormier seems to take an unusually high number of shots, converting an unusually low percentage. I don’t even know if he specifically is a bad example of a low conversion percentage (like, ‘that guy hurts the offense’), and I understand the need occasionally for a team to have a shooter unafraid to fire at will, but I’ve always been irritated by analysts not at least examining/weighing the conversion % number.
he's shooting .427 for his career. if a team shoots .427 this year, they're likely to win the national championship, and in any given game. or even if an attack line shoots .427. he shot 48% last year.
I am an SU fan who loves to watch UVA play every year. Cormier always seems to appear out of nowhere with a magical cross. Something concerned me today. I am writing to ask for any UVA followers' opinions. I may be all wet, but Cormier seemed too heavy and ponderous today. Same skills, but he seemed to lack the agility and grace of the last few years. He never seemed fast but always moved fluidly. Is it my imagination?

My bad if that’s so. I always thought he was a 20% type. My bad.

I saw the game this weekend. His shots were, charitably speaking, not always wise.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I assume the point was Cormier went 2 for 3 shots and also picked up an assist.
Give it time and his averages will stabilize?

Post by 1766 »

He definitely appears heftier than before and less mobile. I don't recall ever seeing him getting the ball taken from him like yesterday. Fortunately for the Hoos they have so much talent they can afford to not have him at his best.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sholokov2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:26 pm I am an SU fan who loves to watch UVA play every year. Cormier always seems to appear out of nowhere with a magical cross. Something concerned me today. I am writing to ask for any UVA followers' opinions. I may be all wet, but Cormier seemed too heavy and ponderous today. Same skills, but he seemed to lack the agility and grace of the last few years. He never seemed fast but always moved fluidly. Is it my imagination?
he's never been light and spry, and it's not the first time he's been injured, but he was held out for the bulk if not all of the fall and preseason.
when and if he gets to lacrosse-level game shape is a question, but he's having to work into it now in-season.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:49 pm
sholokov2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:26 pm I am an SU fan who loves to watch UVA play every year. Cormier always seems to appear out of nowhere with a magical cross. Something concerned me today. I am writing to ask for any UVA followers' opinions. I may be all wet, but Cormier seemed too heavy and ponderous today. Same skills, but he seemed to lack the agility and grace of the last few years. He never seemed fast but always moved fluidly. Is it my imagination?
he's never been light and spry, and it's not the first time he's been injured, but he was held out for the bulk if not all of the fall and preseason.
when and if he gets to lacrosse-level game shape is a question, but he's having to work into it now in-season.
He has a talent he has which is unmatched in NCAA, catching and finishing. Some extra weight suggests he should focus on that even more and let the many other capable players for uva be the ball carriers and dodgers.
molo

Post by molo »

The win over Michigan has lost a little luster after tonight’s Michigan win over Jax. Duke smoked Jax and Michigan edged them. The Richmond win is the best win of the year.
molo

Post by molo »

Any predictions on the Hopkins game? It is the biggest game of the year for both teams. UVA has taken care of business against a couple of teams that will be hoping to make the Big 10 tournament and an in state rival who should win their conference. JHU’s line loss was to a very good Denver team in a game they appeared to have won until a late tailspin. Normally I’d bring up UVA’s athletic advantage, but this year’s Blue Jays are bigger, stronger, and faster than some recent teams. I still think the home team is more athletic, but the visitors have narrowed b the gap. I don’t see a clear advantage on face-offs.
The Hopkins attack will find their matchups against a UVA close d that looks like a couple of forwards and a two guard challenging.
Will Chizmar be back? He along with Yeager and Terencio, UVA’s best midfielder, form a formidable triumvirate of ssdms, but Hopkins offensive midfield depth will test the UVA dms and lsms.
The best close defender on Hopkins has to cover the best attackman in the country who is right handed and doesn’t go to Duke. Their number two guy has to contend with the best freshman attackman. Then someone has to deal with that big lefty who is due for a least a three goal
game.
Unlike in previous years when Lars tended to run an offensive midfield rotation that generally kept one of a group of four middies on the field for most possessions, this year Lars or the new OC is running the same three guys on the first midfield and using different combinations to craft a second and third unit. The reserves, primarily converted attackmen, haven’t generated many points, but they have played well enough to keep the first three fresh. Schutz, who has yet to live up to the hype he garnered as a recruit, is a load who usually occupied tgd pole. Colsey, a red shirt freshman, is a big, quick lefty who can dominate ssdms.Boynton, the former Jumbo, is a slick Canadian who would be the featured attackman on many good teams. The improved Hopkins rope unit will have trouble matching up against these three.
I think Nunes is underrated while his counterpart may be a tad overrated He’s solid and doesn’t make mistakes but doesn’t steal a lot of goals with spectacular saves.
When UVA is on, they look like the best team I the country , but Hopkins is better that the teams they have beaten and could make them pay for a poor quarter like the third quarter of the OSU game.
UVA by about three seems likely to me.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:37 pm Any predictions on the Hopkins game? It is the biggest game of the year for both teams. UVA has taken care of business against a couple of teams that will be hoping to make the Big 10 tournament and an in state rival who should win their conference. JHU’s line loss was to a very good Denver team in a game they appeared to have won until a late tailspin. Normally I’d bring up UVA’s athletic advantage, but this year’s Blue Jays are bigger, stronger, and faster than some recent teams. I still think the home team is more athletic, but the visitors have narrowed b the gap. I don’t see a clear advantage on face-offs.
The Hopkins attack will find their matchups against a UVA close d that looks like a couple of forwards and a two guard challenging.
Will Chizmar be back? He along with Yeager and Terencio, UVA’s best midfielder, form a formidable triumvirate of ssdms, but Hopkins offensive midfield depth will test the UVA dms and lsms.
The best close defender on Hopkins has to cover the best attackman in the country who is right handed and doesn’t go to Duke. Their number two guy has to contend with the best freshman attackman. Then someone has to deal with that big lefty who is due for a least a three goal
game.
Unlike in previous years when Lars tended to run an offensive midfield rotation that generally kept one of a group of four middies on the field for most possessions, this year Lars or the new OC is running the same three guys on the first midfield and using different combinations to craft a second and third unit. The reserves, primarily converted attackmen, haven’t generated many points, but they have played well enough to keep the first three fresh. Schutz, who has yet to live up to the hype he garnered as a recruit, is a load who usually occupied tgd pole. Colsey, a red shirt freshman, is a big, quick lefty who can dominate ssdms.Boynton, the former Jumbo, is a slick Canadian who would be the featured attackman on many good teams. The improved Hopkins rope unit will have trouble matching up against these three.
I think Nunes is underrated while his counterpart may be a tad overrated He’s solid and doesn’t make mistakes but doesn’t steal a lot of goals with spectacular saves.
When UVA is on, they look like the best team I the country , but Hopkins is better that the teams they have beaten and could make them pay for a poor quarter like the third quarter of the OSU game.
UVA by about three seems likely to me.
Hoos win easy. But check out the Princeton guy before claimng the best freshman A in the country.
molo

Post by molo »

Haven’t seen him yet but plan to see Princeton soon. I was a little skeptical about all the IL, MIAA hype but so far 9 looks like the real deal.
FiveZeroEight

Post by FiveZeroEight »

molo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:37 pm Any predictions on the Hopkins game? It is the biggest game of the year for both teams.
JHU is better than in years past, but I think UVA wins by 4-5. Not sure I would say this is the biggest game of the year for UVA who will play Duke, Notre Dame, arguably Maryland.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:59 am Haven’t seen him yet but plan to see Princeton soon. I was a little skeptical about all the IL, MIAA hype but so far 9 looks like the real deal.
While it's early in the season and I wouldn't have claimed best freshman yet, Millon is arguably leading the conversation in that area with 15 points against all top 20 type teams. Kabiri is also very good, although he has only piled up 4 of his 13 points against one legit Maryland team so far. He padded his other stats against 2 cupcakes, but he is certainly an excellent player. Pretty sure, Keno in Reno hates the Millons or wouldn't have even responded.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Don't let the sins of the father change your view of McCabe..He is that good...
random observer

Post by random observer »

NNELax wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 am Don't let the sins of the father change your view of McCabe..He is that good...
I'll admit that in years past I was a relative doubter of the kid and thought he was overhyped. By his senior year I had softened my stance and come around a bit. But he has completely won me over so far. Incredibly smart player with rare quickness, and he's grown a bit too.

Having said that, while his production has been superior, I think we need to acknowledge the differences in circumstances. Beyond the small sample size I think we also need to account for the fact that there is no better situation for a rookie attackman to step into than the UVA offense in terms of scheme and personnel. I say this not to discredit McCabe, but to credit the other top prospects.

Princeton is talented for sure, but they lost a ton at midfield and are starting another rookie on attack with Kabiri. Similarly, Duffy is running the show on a UNC team with a really lacking midfield (and an offense that has been a mess the past two years). It's not quite as seamless as stepping on to an attack line with Shelly and Cormier in a system that has been pretty much unmatched in D1 since Lars got things fully rolling in 2019.

Bottom line I think all three are really high quality, first/second team AA type players.
molo

Post by molo »

Sorry, I meant the biggest game for these teams so far this year. I’m quite cognizant that both these teams play demanding schedules.
coda

Post by coda »

random observer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am
NNELax wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 am Don't let the sins of the father change your view of McCabe..He is that good...
I'll admit that in years past I was a relative doubter of the kid and thought he was overhyped. By his senior year I had softened my stance and come around a bit. But he has completely won me over so far. Incredibly smart player with rare quickness, and he's grown a bit too.

Having said that, while his production has been superior, I think we need to acknowledge the differences in circumstances. Beyond the small sample size I think we also need to account for the fact that there is no better situation for a rookie attackman to step into than the UVA offense in terms of scheme and personnel. I say this not to discredit McCabe, but to credit the other top prospects.

Princeton is talented for sure, but they lost a ton at midfield and are starting another rookie on attack with Kabiri. Similarly, Duffy is running the show on a UNC team with a really lacking midfield (and an offense that has been a mess the past two years). It's not quite as seamless as stepping on to an attack line with Shelly and Cormier in a system that has been pretty much unmatched in D1 since Lars got things fully rolling in 2019.

Bottom line I think all three are really high quality, first/second team AA type players.
This is correct. That is the huge advantage of place like Duke or UVA. They can work freshman in and not put too much on their shoulders. Benn Johnston has 7 goals from the midfield at Duke, shooting a ridiculous 58%. Its way to soon to make judgements on these guys. Kabiri is a focal point of the Princeton offense and that is tough on Freshman. You can say the same for Petro and Duffy at UNC. They have struggled (Duffy shooting at god awful 10% and Petro at 27%). The more you ask of freshmen, the more they look like freshmen. We will see how Kabiri and Duffy look after they finish their crash course in college lacrosse.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

blue angels wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:09 am
molo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:59 am Haven’t seen him yet but plan to see Princeton soon. I was a little skeptical about all the IL, MIAA hype but so far 9 looks like the real deal.
While it's early in the season and I wouldn't have claimed best freshman yet, Millon is arguably leading the conversation in that area with 15 points against all top 20 type teams. Kabiri is also very good, although he has only piled up 4 of his 13 points against one legit Maryland team so far. He padded his other stats against 2 cupcakes, but he is certainly an excellent player. Pretty sure, Keno in Reno hates the Millons or wouldn't have even responded.
No idea why you'd be so sure. I have zero experience, bias or thought one way or the other on the Miltons. I appreciate great players, and both McCabe and Kabiri look excellent. He was pretty awesome against Maryland, which is pretty hard to do.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:15 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:09 am
No idea why you'd be so sure. I have zero experience, bias or thought one way or the other on the Miltons. I appreciate great players, and both McCabe and Kabiri look excellent. He was pretty awesome against Maryland, which is pretty hard to do.
If I was wrong, i stand corrected. There have been more than a few Millon bashers on this site. IMO, not fair when the kid gets bashed because someone doesn’t like the Dad. 1st it was that he was overrrated. Then they come up with some other excuse. Well…….He looks like he is going to be a great player based on his early contests but it is early…..
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am

Was also a skeptic, and still way too early in one freshman season to make any definitive pronouncements, but I have to admit after seeing the Richmond game in person, I changed my opinion at least as to his potential. He very much looks like a body double for Shellenberger, just a tad lighter today as a freshman but that will change over 4 years; same quickness, same field awareness, similar shooting mechanics.

And I agree that slotting into a UVA offense helps a kid, especially if the opponent's #1 pole is on a teammate like Shellenberger. On the other hand, that also brings responsibility to score and not commit turnovers. Lots of season left to see where this all plays out.

A quick shout out to Joey Terenzi, a kid I thought displayed really sharp lacrosse skills in that game.
molo

Post by molo »

Terenzi is a dm averaging a goal a game. On a team with fewer converted attackmen competing for pt at midfield, he would ordinarily be their best midfielder. He reminds me of English and Stevens of Princeton/Syracuse.
LILaxLaw

Post by LILaxLaw »

Agree, Terenzi is a fantastic player.
How is everyone feeling about the Hopkins game?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”