UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JumboFan4

Re: UVA 2024

Post by JumboFan4 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:03 pm
UVAlaxfan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:49 pm
JumboFan4 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:43 pm Just watched the game. Is my math off because I had Boyden 2,3 rather than 2,2? Box score seems off.

Box score off in a number of ways.

Cormier had an assist.

Schutz had two.

I dont think mcintosh had one.

Not sure I saw boydon's third helper but maybe.
It was Shelly from Boyden at 1:29 in the first, but the box has Macintosh.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:43 pm Just watched the game. Is my math off because I had Boyden 2,3 rather than 2,2? Box score seems off.

Cormier had an assist.

Schutz had two.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Cormier had an assist.

Schutz had two.

Just watched that. you are right. I think that is the one I thought was shutz.

Cormier's helper was to shelly as well. they gave it to will cory who had the hockey assist.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

random observer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:49 pm
coda wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm Cormier passes Doug Knight for all-time goals. Like Cormier, but mixed on this. That extra Covid year is going to change record books
Yeah there has been serious record inflation with the advent of the shot clock and the extra Covid year coming in quick succession. Knight's record stood for years despite a laundry list of great UVA attachments coming through. His points record actually would've fallen in 2020 if not for Covid, given that Kraus lost his senior season and didn't take a 5th year. But since then, it seems like every great UVA attack man that's come through with that extra year has had that record in sight.
Cormier got the record in fewer games than Knight played in, so deserved, and a great achievement. Clearly, the game has changed from when Knight played and the shot clock has been a major contributor to that. Lesser talented teams can no longer stall, as a strategy, for lengthy periods so teams have to run their offense unlike in the Knight era. IMO, that has been a positive change for the game, and yes that will result in many old records getting broken. 2 commonalities between Knight and Cormier are that each played with 2 of Virginia's greatest attack men of all time in Watson and Shellenberger occupying the opponent's #1 pole.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:35 am
coda wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm Cormier passes Doug Knight for all-time goals. Like Cormier, but mixed on this. That extra Covid year is going to change record books
Yeah there has been serious record inflation with the advent of the shot clock and the extra Covid year coming in quick succession. Knight's record stood for years despite a laundry list of great UVA attachments coming through. His points record actually would've fallen in 2020 if not for Covid, given that Kraus lost his senior season and didn't take a 5th year. But since then, it seems like every great UVA attack man that's come through with that extra year has had that record in sight.
Cormier got the record in fewer games than Knight played in, so deserved, and a great achievement. Clearly, the game has changed from when Knight played and the shot clock has been a major contributor to that. Lesser talented teams can no longer stall, as a strategy, for lengthy periods so teams have to run their offense unlike in the Knight era. IMO, that has been a positive change for the game, and yes that will result in many old records getting broken. 2 commonalities between Knight and Cormier are that each played with 2 of Virginia's greatest attack men of all time in Watson and Shellenberger occupying the opponent's #1 pole.

I wouldn’t have any idea where or how to locate this, but I think we need to factor in the “shot-to-goal conversion %” (as well as the shot clock) for Krauss (I know how to get Cormier’s).

Cormier seems to take an unusually high number of shots, converting an unusually low percentage. I don’t even know if he specifically is a bad example of a low conversion percentage (like, ‘that guy hurts the offense’), and I understand the need occasionally for a team to have a shooter unafraid to fire at will, but I’ve always been irritated by analysts not at least examining/weighing the conversion % number.
LILaxLaw

Post by LILaxLaw »

Richmond is a very solid top 20 team. UVA played them on the road and took way more Man-Down penalties and still found a way to separate on a "bad" day for the team. That is encouraging and is what you would expect from a "Top 3" program.
So far no glaring weaknesses on this team early on in the season, but it's a small sample size.
The O will get better the more they play together under a new OC. :!:
The pre-season concerns about D and FO seem to be a little overblown so far, but again, its early in the season.
On to Ohio St (now a top 20 team).
Tough schedule should have them ready for ACC play in April. I am encouraged so far from what I have seen.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:10 pm

I wouldn’t have any idea where or how to locate this, but I think we need to factor in the “shot-to-goal conversion %” (as well as the shot clock) for Krauss (I know how to get Cormier’s).

Cormier seems to take an unusually high number of shots, converting an unusually low percentage. I don’t even know if he specifically is a bad example of a low conversion percentage (like, ‘that guy hurts the offense’), and I understand the need occasionally for a team to have a shooter unafraid to fire at will, but I’ve always been irritated by analysts not at least examining/weighing the conversion % number.
he's shooting .427 for his career. if a team shoots .427 this year, they're likely to win the national championship, and in any given game. or even if an attack line shoots .427. he shot 48% last year.

kraus shot .276, tho had to create his own shot more often. and was a bigger assist guy.
Last edited by wgdsr on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm

he's shooting .427 for his career. if a team shoots .427 this year, they're likely to win the national championship, and in any given game. or even if an attack line shoots .427. he shot 48% last year.

My bad if that’s so. I always thought he was a 20% type. My bad.

I saw the game this weekend. His shots were, charitably speaking, not always wise.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm My bad if that’s so. I always thought he was a 20% type. My bad.

I saw the game this weekend. His shots were, charitably speaking, not always wise.
The Richmond game was definitely an outlier. From my armchair, it looked like he was pressing to get the record, but there are a myriad of explanations.

The reality is that if you become the all-time goal scorer for UVA, and beat the record in fewer games than the guy you just passed - you are very, very good.

All that said, I am partial to Cormier because his style of play is a throwback to old school crease attackman who could catch and shoot anything.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Finster

Post by Finster »

HooDat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:52 am
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm My bad if that’s so. I always thought he was a 20% type. My bad.

The Richmond game was definitely an outlier. From my armchair, it looked like he was pressing to get the record, but there are a myriad of explanations.

The reality is that if you become the all-time goal scorer for UVA, and beat the record in fewer games than the guy you just passed - you are very, very good.

All that said, I am partial to Cormier because his style of play is a throwback to old school crease attackman who could catch and shoot anything.

Physically and otherwise, reminds me of JHU’s Jeff Cook.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I see that OSU has Bobby Van Buren(whom Virginia recruited) & Marcus Hudgens on D. Those are 2 very good poles. That's about the end of my knowledge of OSU and hard to tell much from the level of comp they have played so far. Anyone know much about their personnel, strengths, weaknesses?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm

My bad if that’s so. I always thought he was a 20% type. My bad.

Interesting comment by Tiffany's on his post game radio show on WINA - the team wanted Peyton to get the record and were forcing the ball to him. Shooters gonna shoot when he get the ball.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm I saw the game this weekend. His shots were, charitably speaking, not always wise.
Lars admitted they were feeding Cormier the ball to get the record. Lars noted that Richmond figured it out and did a good job of making it hard. Don't think that performance will be a regular occurrence.

Edit: Just saw that HooDat already said the same. At a later point in the interview, he discussed wanting to get Schutz going as opposed to "feeding Cormier."
molo

Post by molo »

His comments about Schutz reflect my view of his performance so far. He seems capable of more than what we have seen. Still, if teams consider to poke him instead of the clearly best players on the first midfield, the former Jumbo will continue to pile up points.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Hoxwurth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:05 am
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm I saw the game this weekend. His shots were, charitably speaking, not always wise.
Lars admitted they were feeding Cormier the ball to get the record. Lars noted that Richmond figured it out and did a good job of making it hard. Don't think that performance will be a regular occurrence.

Edit: Just saw that HooDat already said the same. At a later point in the interview, he discussed wanting to get Schutz going as opposed to "feeding Cormier."
It's only been 2 games so we shall see. Schutz has usually gotten poled & is playing with 2 new line mates who have never before suited up for Virginia. Think UR started putting the pole on Boyden some later in that game so we shall see how defenses react going forward. We need to give him a little more time to see if he will stuff the stat sheet. IMO, he has been very unselfish and has made some spectacular plays in the pick game to free up his team mates for goals that don't show up in the box score. I am very happy with the performance of the 1st midfield after the 1st 2 games. We need more production from the 2nd midfield................
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:57 am His comments about Schutz reflect my view of his performance so far. He seems capable of more than what we have seen. Still, if teams consider to poke him instead of the clearly best players on the first midfield, the former Jumbo will continue to pile up points.

In person, Schultz looks almost reed-thin compared to Cormier. Schultz has deceptive north-south speed. Good shot, too.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hoxwurth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:05 am

His shot selection in the Richmond game makes more sense. Thank you.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

boyden's nutz.

maybe the best 3 goals to start a hoos game.

hoos relentless with the break.

tosu showing some fight, smarts and athleticism. nunes has had to be too good. probably same for fyock. lotta good shots available both ways.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

11 tosu is having a tough time today. Left million wide open on the cross crease pass by 24, and got lost on that last goal assisted my million.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

17 saves so far for the OSU goalie.
But OSU keeps turning the ball over.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”