Duke Fans

D1 Mens Lacrosse
azim21

Duke Fans

Post by azim21 »

I'm sure it's unfair to group an entire fanbase on my own personal experience, but there was a stark difference between the way UVA fans acted when they lost in the semis to the way Duke fans did leaving the game yesterday. I understand chirping that it took 35 years for ND to finally win it and you have more titles, but who cares? Can we just enjoy this moment without you being all salty? And my favorite is the Duke Lacrosse Twitter superfans tweeting that the refs wanted ND :lol: Like did you just forget about how the semifinal ended?
Last edited by azim21 on Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Re: Duke Fans - Sore Losers?

Post by jhu06 »

"Duke Lacrosse Fans"-people who hit refresh on Duke basketball forums between bites of pizza or sips of beer with Duke lacrosse going on in the background.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

This is a trick question, right?

Are there actual Duke fans?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 am This is a trick question, right?

There was that guy on LP with the Ed Bradley avatar 6-8yrs ago.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

After last year's ND fan display (#notallfans #somelaxjournos), maybe not the best subject to bring up.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:29 am After last year's ND fan display (#notallfans #somelaxjournos), maybe not the best subject to bring up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Yes. The current players’ parents. That’s the fan base. They have to bribe current students to come, and even that rarely works. Enjoy fellas.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:29 am After last year's ND fan display (#notallfans #somelaxjournos), maybe not the best subject to bring up.
I keep seeing people saying this and maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but what exactly did ND fans do last year that was so outrageous? I think we can all agree the Ivy didn't deserve 6 teams, and the NCAA's logic for leaving ND out was flawed (didn't beat enough tourney teams but Duke was a tourney team until ND beat them). Like yeah we felt screwed, rightfully so. ND was also the only team to keep it close with UMD from what I remember. But I don't remember anyone talking crap to anyone but the NCAA and I think after the Creasegate no review and the goal mouth issues all tourney we can all agree NCAA lacrosse has some work to do.
Last edited by azim21 on Tue May 30, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

azim21 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:39 am
I keep seeing people saying this and maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but what exactly did ND fans do last year that was so outrageous? I think we can all agree the Ivy didn't deserve 5 teams, and the NCAA's logic for leaving ND out was flawed (didn't beat enough tourney teams but Duke was a tourney team until ND beat them). Like yeah we felt screwed, rightfully so. ND was also the only team to keep it close with UMD from what I remember. But I don't remember anyone talking crap to anyone but the NCAA and I think after the Creasegate no review and the goal mouth issues all tourney we can all agree NCAA lacrosse has some work to do.
I'm sure I'll get called soft for this but I don't really care. Some of their fans were awful to the woman who served as the head of the selection committee, and whipped their Twitter followers into what can charitably be called a harassment campaign against her. It reeked of misogyny. I saw the "c" word thrown around a few times. The whole thing was just gross. I get they were upset but it was a terrible look and not something that's easy to forget IMO
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the ivy got 6 teams including the aq. tosu was the problem, anyway.

fanlax is a flat circle. it's been notre dame's time. there's also a much larger contingent of "other teams' fans" around here, so it's a do-as-i-say, not do-as-i-do scenario and they can get a quorum quickly.

as importantly, what little there is in the way of lax media went ballistic, with reasoning that didn't match actual selection criteria (an oxymoron, i know)... so they have been substituted as "fans" with the biggest megaphones. megaphones that are very difficult to avoid.

this has left many to feel slighted in their fandom experience, and thus clapping back cathartically. even if it's at clouds.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 am
I keep seeing people saying this and maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but what exactly did ND fans do last year that was so outrageous? I think we can all agree the Ivy didn't deserve 5 teams, and the NCAA's logic for leaving ND out was flawed (didn't beat enough tourney teams but Duke was a tourney team until ND beat them). Like yeah we felt screwed, rightfully so. ND was also the only team to keep it close with UMD from what I remember. But I don't remember anyone talking crap to anyone but the NCAA and I think after the Creasegate no review and the goal mouth issues all tourney we can all agree NCAA lacrosse has some work to do.
I'm sure I'll get called soft for this but I don't really care. Some of their fans were awful to the woman who served as the head of the selection committee, and whipped their Twitter followers into what can charitably be called a harassment campaign against her. It reeked of misogyny. I saw the "c" word thrown around a few times. The whole thing was just gross. I get they were upset but it was a terrible look and not something that's easy to forget IMO
See I didn't know this, that's certainly uncalled for. It's one thing to be upset and express your frustration, another thing to personally attack someone with slurs. Not real Irish fans in my eyes.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

"Some fans" = Nick Ossello and some Barstool Sports journalists. C word is wrong. I never saw that. I also think it's wrong to extrapolate a guy whose entire online persona is a troll to an entire fanbase. Can't speak to every comment that's been made on Twitter, but I'm sure I could wander on there and find anonymous Duke fans saying nasty stuff.

Separately, I've only seen the "back-to-back champions" jokes on here as a dig, and never as sincere comments from fans.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:04 am
"Some fans" = Nick Ossello and some Barstool Sports journalists. C word is wrong. I never saw that. I also think it's wrong to extrapolate a guy whose entire online persona is a troll to an entire fanbase. Can't speak to every comment that's been made on Twitter, but I'm sure I could wander on there and find anonymous Duke fans saying nasty stuff.

Separately, I've only seen the "back-to-back champions" jokes on here as a dig, and never as sincere comments from fans.
He's their highest-profile fan/alum and quite frankly he alone probably makes up a third of the program's virtually nonexistent online fan base
Finster

Post by Finster »

I’m not a Duke guy, but they get fans at their home games. It’s been steadily increasing as lacrosse grows in the state. I think they average 2,000home game. Nothing to shout about but not empty by any stretch. The last UVA game they had 3,589.
Last edited by Finster on Tue May 30, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Look, fellas, don’t worry about all this Notre Dame and Duke nonsense.

Johns Hopkins and Syracuse are rising and will soon restore order to the lacrosse universe.

All shall be well again.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

You got it , Doc ! :lol:
azim21

Post by azim21 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:12 am Look, fellas, don’t worry about all this Notre Dame and Duke nonsense.

Johns Hopkins and Syracuse are rising and will soon restore order to the lacrosse universe.

All shall be well again.

DocBarrister :)
haha yes both those teams should have exciting years next year. Duke's also returning a lot of talent. Should be between them and Syracuse next year in the ACC.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Interesting discussion.

I was predisposed to not be rooting for ND yesterday, but my son talked me around to it before the game. Will come back to that.

I'd never been a fan of Corrigan's demeanor (I liked how he handled questions yesterday).

And I thought there was way too much "whining" by ND fans (but really the "lax media") about the "snub". I was in the "just win" camp about their exclusion on the bubble (though I didn't think Harvard had the season to truly deserve being in). I'm not on some of the other social media stuff, so didn't see directly the misogyny etc, but heard about it. Not ok in the slightest.

But I'm also in the camp of "best teams should be in". And the current system really doesn't produce that. So, that offsets my "just win" position. It's complicated.

But really what bothered me was the announcers' non-stop promotion of ND...on the other hand, I think the team using the "snub" as motivation is exactly the right way to handle that sort of thing, building strength through some adversity.

So, some loudmouth fans are not the same thing as the team recognizing that "leave no doubt" is a force multiplier...

And I'd heard the "Kavanagh's are dirty players" accusation....wasn't sure what to make of that...

My son (a Harvard alum) argued the position that "best teams should be in" and that the intensity the Kav brothers play is what he always wanted on his teams. That willingness to go all out, use everything in the arsenal ...to win.

He'd played with Conor Doyle, who had exactly that sort of intensity (some funny stories there!) and with Garett Epple who played rather viciously, good for a penalty or two per game...but my son loved having him on his club teams. I remember feeling the same way about a guy I'd played with the opponents all hated...but I knew as an incredibly passionate player...he left it all out on the field.

We very much enjoyed Liam Entenmann's performance throughout the game, really special, and the very smart, disciplined, but opportunistic defense ND played throughout.

I loved Pat Kavanagh's post-game remarks, absolutely crushed it IMO.

So, congratulations!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:55 pm Interesting discussion.

I was predisposed to not be rooting for ND yesterday, but my son talked me around to it before the game. Will come back to that.

I'd never been a fan of Corrigan's demeanor (I liked how he handled questions yesterday).

And I thought there was way too much "whining" by ND fans (but really the "lax media") about the "snub". I was in the "just win" camp about their exclusion on the bubble (though I didn't think Harvard had the season to truly deserve being in). I'm not on some of the other social media stuff, so didn't see directly the misogyny etc, but heard about it. Not ok in the slightest.

But I'm also in the camp of "best teams should be in". And the current system really doesn't produce that. So, that offsets my "just win" position. It's complicated.

But really what bothered me was the announcers' non-stop promotion of ND...on the other hand, I think the team using the "snub" as motivation is exactly the right way to handle that sort of thing, building strength through some adversity.

So, some loudmouth fans are not the same thing as the team recognizing that "leave no doubt" is a force multiplier...

And I'd heard the "Kavanagh's are dirty players" accusation....wasn't sure what to make of that...

My son (a Harvard alum) argued the position that "best teams should be in" and that the intensity the Kav brothers play is what he always wanted on his teams. That willingness to go all out, use everything in the arsenal ...to win.

He'd played with Conor Doyle, who had exactly that sort of intensity (some funny stories there!) and with Garett Epple who played rather viciously, good for a penalty or two per game...but my son loved having him on his club teams. I remember feeling the same way about a guy I'd played with the opponents all hated...but I knew as an incredibly passionate player...he left it all out on the field.

We very much enjoyed Liam Entenmann's performance throughout the game, really special, and the very smart, disciplined, but opportunistic defense ND played throughout.

I loved Pat Kavanagh's post-game remarks, absolutely crushed it IMO.

So, congratulations!
I have seen the accusation as well, though never saw a dirty play myself. I do think that hard-riding attackmen sometimes take a big one-handed swing, especially close to midfield, will little hope of actually disloding the ball. Maybe that should be called a slash. As far as dirty players, I saw two instances of head-hunting yesterday, neither by ND players.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:04 am

Barstool has “journalists”??

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”