Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Great win. Great team effort. Lots to write about.
My thoughts:
-another fan had a great one liner talking with me --- "the happiest guy on the field may have been Brandau. He didn't have to deal with Gavin Adler today."
Offense:
-Nice balanced scoring day. Kirst got a bunch of good looks and buried them; I wish, as LaFalce said he would have taken another step when he was all along coming up from GLE in the 4th. Long - got a shortie some of the time. He has a bit of a lower profile when he plays on the wing, but seems to do everything right. Nice goal following his rebound goal off of Kelleher's shot. Kelleher quiet, but played clean and his physical presence is so important. Also, got caught on D a few times, but played clean there. Goldstein - drew a pole day, but still excelled. He is so f'in quick. He speed and quickness + his temperament reflects a lot of "#10." Yale's D is certainly nothing to write home about.
-When Cornell is successful in getting ss matchups on 15 and 30, they are very scary.
-Love that Nikolic dodges both ways. He scored his 2nd lefty goal in two games via the left alley. Interesting that Wirtheim (a righty) was very effective last year dodging right to left with a very strong left hand. This year, most of his dodges seem to be right alley where if he gets separation, he goes with a twister.
-The extra-man looked better...though I did ask myself was it really better or did Yale's man-down D make it look better.
-Coaches - when we're taking air out of the ball late in the game, please tell the players not to hug the side or mid-field lines. Those lines are, in effect, an extra defender.
-Awful illegal pick on Dalton at the end when Cornell was killing clock and things could have gotten dicey. I was focusing on the 2 man with he and Kirst and said to myself, just set a clean pick. He did. I don't have a clue what the ref was looking at.
*Buczek is typically great with in-game sideline calls: he was waiting with the illegal stick call until it would be meaningful, but missed two time-outs on Cornell clears that IMO he definitely should have called.
FOGO:
-Mark Psyllos - give him the figurative medal of honor. He took all but 2 (maybe 3) draws, while Yale rotated Rodrigues and Ramsey. Once again, gave 100+%. 'Some great 1st half counterpunches and trail checks, including a few pushes, which I was surprised the refs let go. Can't speak more highly of how important he is to the team's success given Cascadden's injury.
Defense:
-No Davis again. Blake has been very solid (as VF wrote last week, just a terrific athlete). Gilmartin is probably the best ss now - a true freshman who was once again, very solid. Tough kid.
-Tough day for Singer, after an outstanding game vs. Princeton.
-Perhaps it's because Yale doesn't have any real burners, but our defenders seemed better coordinated today and did fewer switches or doubles. I'd have to see tape. Regardless, I thought it very surprising that Yale did not go after our shorties more.
Other:
-The camera didn't show the hit that caused the 3 minute unrealeasable. I'd liked to have seen it. That's close to the basis for an ejection.
***Big win - the boys now have the head-to-head over Princeton and Yale. And Harvard is 0-2. Another big game next Saturday vs. Penn.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LaxRef guy was nice enough to update his numbers a few minutes ago,

Cornell is now #2 RPI. Yale remains #1.
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:53 pm
RedIvy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:42 pm Marc Psyllos is an unsung hero. While his win percentage is not high, he seems to figure out his opponents over the course of the game and come up big down the stretch. He just figures out how best to compete for a posession. Note he took almost all the FO’s for Cornell while Yale rotated for rests. He is just a gutsy player.

Holding Yale without a goal during the three minute unreleasable early on was big. I replayed that hit several times and I think 3 minutes was much too severe. Curious what others thought? Fortunately it had no bearing on the outcome this time.

Great team win!
RedIvy,
Live, the hit looked hard, but not egregious.

The score I think at the time was 2-1 Yale, and I'm not sure I can even remember Yale getting a shot off and then Cornell finally getting possession and scoring to make it 2-2.

I remember thinking that Yale could easily be up 3 or 4-1, when this penalty is over, and for them to NOT score and Cornell immediately tie it was huge.

That stick was so illegal, and such an easy call for the Ref.

By the way, Yale had a great contingent that braved the elements. Good on them to support their great team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Glad you went, joewillie, really nice win for the Big Red.
Now enjoy that hot soup and woodstove. Oh, the gin and
tonic too (or should that be two?).
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:07 pm -The camera didn't show the hit that caused the 3 minute unrealeasable. I'd liked to have seen it. That's close to the basis for an ejection.
Cornell's penalty-killing on the day was beyond solid, and never better - and more impactful - than here.

Down 2-1 early in the 1st, Yale could have ridden that 3-minute unreleasable to a significant advantage, especially given the FO advantage it presented to Yale. I was afraid we might be looking at 4-1 or 5-1 by the time the penalty was over. Instead, Cornell absolutely shut the door.

That and the 2-goal swing caused by the illegal stick penalty were the two critical sequences in the game, imo.

Great game by Psyllos, too. Statistically, it might not show, but he fought and clawed on every FO, earning a number of extra possessions for Cornell even after losing the FO. Gutsy game by him.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:37 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:53 pm
RedIvy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:42 pm Marc Psyllos is an unsung hero. While his win percentage is not high, he seems to figure out his opponents over the course of the game and come up big down the stretch. He just figures out how best to compete for a posession. Note he took almost all the FO’s for Cornell while Yale rotated for rests. He is just a gutsy player.

Holding Yale without a goal during the three minute unreleasable early on was big. I replayed that hit several times and I think 3 minutes was much too severe. Curious what others thought? Fortunately it had no bearing on the outcome this time.

Great team win!
RedIvy,
Live, the hit looked hard, but not egregious.

The score I think at the time was 2-1 Yale, and I'm not sure I can even remember Yale getting a shot off and then Cornell finally getting possession and scoring to make it 2-2.

I remember thinking that Yale could easily be up 3 or 4-1, when this penalty is over, and for them to NOT score and Cornell immediately tie it was huge.

That stick was so illegal, and such an easy call for the Ref.

By the way, Yale had a great contingent that braved the elements. Good on them to support their great team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Glad you went, joewillie, really nice win for the Big Red.
Now enjoy that hot soup and woodstove. Oh, the gin and
tonic too (or should that be two?).
I'm on my 2nd right now , the woodstove is oh so warm, and my wife is heating the soup right now. It was damn cold, but so much fun to be there and watch such a gutsy big red performance.

I hope a week from Tuesday, the weather is nice for the Cuse game. I remember the last one I watched at the Kopf, weather was beautiful, like 70, and Cuse kicked our butt.

Before that, however, big Ivy game in Philly next Saturday.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

In wrestling, Vito Arajau just won his 2nd National Championship at 133 pounds. Congrats, Vito!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Big night for Cornell sports. In addition to the lacrosse team beating Yale, the hockey team won the ECAC Championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament by beating St. Lawrence 3-1 in Lake Placid this evening and Vito Arujua won the 133 lb NCAA wrestling national championship and I believe the team finished in third place in the team competition. Plus Cornell's Izzy Daniel won the NCAA women's ice hockey player of the year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Daton Fix was unbeaten until that match.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Fix is kinda a tragic figure: he reached and then lost the national championship match every year for 4 years, the only NCAA wrestler in history to do so.

That said, Vito clearly won the match, which had a zillion delays for blood and for video reviews.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to the Big Red on a strong victory over Yale today. Nine goals from Cornell first-years! The Big Red will be in great shape for years to come. Here's hoping that Yale will have a chance to get a rematch with Cornell in the Ivy tournament. Joewillie, hope you've warmed up by now!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 pm Fix is kinda a tragic figure: he reached and then lost the national championship match every year for 4 years, the only NCAA wrestler in history to do so.

That said, Vito clearly won the match, which had a zillion delays for blood and for video reviews.
It seemed that the officials wanted Fix to win but Vito wouldn't let them take it away from him. One of the most courageous wrestling victories I've ever seen. It took 22 minutes with all the protests!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:48 pm Congrats to the Big Red on a strong victory over Yale today. Nine goals from Cornell first-years! The Big Red will be in great shape for years to come. Here's hoping that Yale will have a chance to get a rematch with Cornell in the Ivy tournament. Joewillie, hope you've warmed up by now!
The woodstove, my wife's chicken Soup and a couple G and T's have really done the trick. Hopefully, the next time we meet, I'll be in shorts and a tee.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:27 pm Big night for Cornell sports. In addition to the lacrosse team beating Yale, the hockey team won the ECAC Championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament by beating St. Lawrence 3-1 in Lake Placid this evening and Vito Arujua won the 133 lb NCAA wrestling national championship and I believe the team finished in third place in the team competition. Plus Cornell's Izzy Daniel won the NCAA women's ice hockey player of the year.
Looks like 2nd behind Penn State.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yale game highlights:

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 pm Teat, a 13 point night,

https://www.nll.com/game/686530851/sask ... 024-03-23/
BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:09 pm Yale game highlights:

Cornell had some really nice assisted goals. Blake's cross field pass to Long on goal 11 was one of them.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to Cornell and its faithful for the Big Red's great start to conference play. Next weekend's game at Penn should be another good one, with major implications for who gets to host the ILT.

I know there was a bit of despair after the Penn State game, but the Big Red team is really coming into its own, helped by the emergence of Ryan Goldstein. I'll definitely be rooting for the Big Red against the Orange of Syracuse; then against Notre Dame on April 14th. Great schedule! Best of luck to Cornell!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
NORTH AMERICA would suffice…… the “pro lacrosse” guys picked up that nomenclature from the NBA to make it sound more impressive. Is there really a lacrosse player in south america, Europe, Africa or Asia that would break into the top 1000?…..Teat is excellent though. No argument from me.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
NORTH AMERICA would suffice…… the “pro lacrosse” guys picked up that nomenclature from the NBA to make it sound more impressive. Is there really a lacrosse player in south america, Europe, Africa or Asia that would break into the top 1000?…..Teat is excellent though. No argument from me.
How about down under? They have produced some top level D1 talent at times.

I don't know, "Best player on the Planet" has a great ring to it, and Teat, unquestionably is.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”