Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:18 pm Great season for the Big Red. Sorry to see it possibly end this way. Hats off to Penn for a well executed game.
+1

Disappointing result tonight. You just had a feeling at the time that the Denver result was going to loom large. A great season; sorry if it ends this.

Good luck to Princeton and Penn.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

The Penn defense, with Carroll backstopping it, was the best I’ve seen us play this year. A bitter pill to swallow. But for our surprising title in 2018, the Ivy tournament has not been kind to us in recent years.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I'm sorry, but that travesty of a game in Denver cost this team an NCAA bid. Cornell wins that game and they are in and Denver is out. That game was stolen from them and now these kids will be out of the tourney.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Cornell still has a shot at a bid if Penn, Penn State, and Georgetown all win. Princeton will drop below Cornell in RPI with a loss to Penn, and does not have a top-5 win, whereas Cornell does.
semsox

Post by semsox »

Well, the bracket isn't set yet. They are position to be the last at large team depending on the results of Georgetown/Villanova, Michigan/PSU and maybe even Penn/Princeton? I think the Michigan/PSU game is most consequential (Michigan wins and they're likely out), and the results of the other games more up for debate.
CU 73

Post by CU 73 »

Losing Mikey Long really hurts the flow of the attack. Carroll was unbelievable with many saves controlled in his stick
Based on the RPI only appears are only shot is for PSU to beat Michigan, Georgetown to beat Villanova and Penn to beat Princeton, That would seem to give us a decent shot. It would be a shame if The Big Red season is over.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

semsox wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 pm Well, the bracket isn't set yet. They are position to be the last at large team depending on the results of Georgetown/Villanova, Michigan/PSU and maybe even Penn/Princeton? I think the Michigan/PSU game is most consequential (Michigan wins and they're likely out), and the results of the other games more up for debate.
They are all consequential. We need GT, PSU, and Penn all to win. In that scenario, Cornell has a better resume than Princeton or Yale and has a good chance at the last at-large bid. If Princeton wins, Penn's resume is better, and Penn has two H2H wins over Cornell.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

semsox wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 pm Well, the bracket isn't set yet. They are position to be the last at large team depending on the results of Georgetown/Villanova, Michigan/PSU and maybe even Penn/Princeton? I think the Michigan/PSU game is most consequential (Michigan wins and they're likely out), and the results of the other games more up for debate.
I think they need Penn to win, too.

They're not Hopkins; hard to imagine the committee giving them the last at--large over a team they lost to twice.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Just an ugly game. Penn defense and goalie are the best Cornell has faced all year. They are athletic and slide well. They didn't let Kirst breathe tonight. Every time Kirst got a half step on 46, the reinforcements came crashing down. The rest of the offense was able to get OK separation from defenders at various points throughout the night, but that wasn't enough, as they would have needed very open looks in order to consistently beat that goalie. Other times, the offense wasn't able to generate any separation at all.

Long being out hurt the flow of things.

I still think a healthy Christopher Davis would make a big difference out there. 13 is a fighter but his size is a bit of a liability out there.

Let's hope the chips fall right for Cornell. If not, it's been a good season for Cornell. Solo ivy champs. Wins over Princeton and Yale. Beat cuse. More than respectable showing against #1.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Took another commuter-like flight from FL up for the game. Despite high expectations, it was a very disappointimg loss. While the boys, as always, worked hard, they were outplayed in every aspect of the game (O, D, extra-man, FO + a great game by Carroll); too many mental errors as well. A tough way to (potentially) end the season and for many players, their careers.
A few thoughts:
-As I suggested, Cornell double poled Rubin and Shipley. Rubin was shut down, but I thought the athletitic Shipley had a good day. The one time I notice a ss on him, he dodged right by him and scored easily. Haven't seen stats but I believe Penn's shooting % was high, good quality shots througout. Much much better than Cornell's looks.
-There was a long stretch where it looked like our O-mids got caught on defense on many/most possessions. And paid for it several times.
-On offense, so very similar to the last game. Penn's D was very well prepared (they certainly know our tendencies) and executed so well. Good judgement throughout as to when to stay home and when to slide. Very aware of Kirst and swarmed to him. Again, like last time, no succesful cross-crease stuff, lots of tipped balls, and an excellent day for Carroll.
-I'd love to see Penn's man-down record for the season. We didn't get a sniff. Spacing looked problematic; nothing there.
-Cornell had 2 GREAT chances to get even in the 2nd half on two 2minute unreleasable penalties. Both were "disasters." Both times gave the ball up very early. On the first, Penn wound up simply killing valuable clock and on the second, Cornell committed a penalty on D.
-Another 2 late chances to cut the lead to one at 11-9 were lost on a bad decision shot by 2 in transition and a failed clear.
-I think Penn rotated 2 FOGOS and appeared to wear Psyllos down over time.
-Great effort by Bozzi coming back from injry and getting ready to play.
-Gilmartin - what a keeper. I'm sure he could start as an O-mid, but (unfortunately) he's also probably the most reliable ss also. Had an excellent night on both ends.
*Again, despite the effort being there, the boys were outplayed; credit to Penn.
As stated in other posts, Cornell needs Penn and Penn State to win to have an at large chance next week.
LGR
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sat May 04, 2024 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Took another commuter-like flight from FL up for the game. Despite high expectations, it was a very disappointimg loss. While the boys, as always, worked hard, they were outplayed in every aspect of the game (O, D, extra-man, FO + a great game by Carroll); too many mental errors as well. A tough way to (potentially) end the season and for many players, their careers.
A few thoughts:
-As I suggested, Cornell double poled Rubin and Shipley. Rubin was shut down, but I thought the athletitic Shipley had a good day. The one time I notice a ss on him, he dodged right by him and scored easily. Haven't seen stats but I believe Penn's shooting % was high, good quality shots througout. Much much better than Cornell's looks.
-There was a long stretch where it looked like our O-mids got caught on defense on many/most possessions. And paid for it several times.
-On offense, so very similar to the last game. Penn's D was very well prepared (they certainly know our tendencies) and executed so well. Good judgement throughout as to when to stay home and when to slide. Very aware of Kirst and swarmed to him. Again, like last time, no succesful cross-crease stuff, lots of tipped balls, and an excellent day for Carroll.
-I'd love to see Penn's man-down record for the season. We didn't get a sniff. Spacing looked problematic; nothing there.
-Cornell had 2 GREAT chances to get even in the 2nd half on two 2minute unreleasable penalties. Both were "disasters." Both times gave the ball up very early. On the first, Penn wound up simply killing valuable clock and on the second, Cornell committed a penalty on D.
-Another 2 late chances to cut the lead to one at 11-9 were lost on a bad decision shot by 2 in transition and a failed clear.
-I think Penn rotated 2 FOGOS and appeared to wear Psyllos down over time.
-Great effort by Bozzi coming back from injry and getting ready to play.
-Gilmartin - what a keeper. I'm sure she could start as an O-mid, but (unfortunately) he's also probably the most reliable ss also. Had an excellent night on both ends.
*Again, despite the effort being there, the boys were outplayed; credit to Penn.
As stated in other posts, Cornell needs Penn and Penn State to win to have an at large chance next week.
LGR
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

ICGrad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:20 pm
faircornell wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:18 pm Great season for the Big Red. Sorry to see it possibly end this way. Hats off to Penn for a well executed game.
+1

Disappointing result tonight. You just had a feeling at the time that the Denver result was going to loom large. A great season; sorry if it ends this.

Good luck to Princeton and Penn.
+1

A great season!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

First, congratulations to Penn on a sensational effort at a place where Cornell , up until last night was undefeated.

Carroll was amazing, as anytime it looked like Cornell could start a run, he came up with incredible saves, many from point blank range.

A special shout out to clearly the best player on the field for Cornell, Luke Gilmartin. He literally did EVERYTHING last night, and for us Big Red fans to be able to watch him perform for 3 more years will be special. I literally don't know what position is best for him, as I say to myself, well, why don't we use him here, and then I say, but we really need him here. Amazing player.

If that was the last game of the season last night, so be it. It was another great year of Cornell Lax, and even last night losing, this team always gives 100% effort. We thought Kirst was coming out a few times after being brutalized and battered a couple times, and he would have none of that, and that's how this team rolls.

Love this team!!!

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

At times like this, I wish the NCAA tournament participants were chosen based upon a formula combining RPI and SOS in some fashion with no regard to conference and with no AQs. Potentially sitting at home watching some unranked teams getting in over the Big Red because they win a weak league will be frustrating. Here's hoping the required dominoes fall our way. Of course, this could perhaps be avoided by expanding the tourney to 24 teams.
Cornell95

Post by Cornell95 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:09 am At times like this, I wish the NCAA tournament participants were chosen based upon a formula combining RPI and SOS in some fashion with no regard to conference and with no AQs. Potentially sitting at home watching some unranked teams getting in over the Big Red because they win a weak league will be frustrating. Here's hoping the required dominoes fall our way. Of course, this could perhaps be avoided by expanding the tourney to 24 teams.
I can see the argument for expanding the tournament, but isnt one of the issues purely logistical?
Dont think we want to move Championship weekend away from Memorial Day, but then how do you going accommodate another round/play-in without further reducing the already limited OOC schedule? Some have also made a compelling argument for not starting the season till March given how bad conditions often are in February (early March can be not much better TBH).

It might push more teams towards a ND type schedule (~3 less games than the field) which has its own issues as you look at RPI/SoS with even less cross conference play and total games.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

My biggest concern about Penn beating Princeton (if that's what we need) is that I would imagine that the Penn defenders must be gassed after their Friday night efforts. I'm not sure I've ever seen such an all-consuming athletic effort in college lacrosse that matched Penn's shutdown of the Big Red's stars. While it's only a guess from a distance, I wonder if some of the hits that drew penalties were the result of players being fatigued.

Princeton is definitely a run and gun type of team. It should be entertaining lacrosse.

Cornell had the toughest strength of schedule in the Ivies this year. As many have already said, it was a great season, tournament or not.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat May 04, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

Wish Goldstein took a more aggressive role. He was able to beat his defender and solve the Carroll riddle the few times he stepped forward. He seems to defer to older guys
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Cornell95 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:24 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:09 am At times like this, I wish the NCAA tournament participants were chosen based upon a formula combining RPI and SOS in some fashion with no regard to conference and with no AQs. Potentially sitting at home watching some unranked teams getting in over the Big Red because they win a weak league will be frustrating. Here's hoping the required dominoes fall our way. Of course, this could perhaps be avoided by expanding the tourney to 24 teams.
I can see the argument for expanding the tournament, but isnt one of the issues purely logistical?
Dont think we want to move Championship weekend away from Memorial Day, but then how do you going accommodate another round/play-in without further reducing the already limited OOC schedule? Some have also made a compelling argument for not starting the season till March given how bad conditions often are in February (early March can be not much better TBH).

It might push more teams towards a ND type schedule (~3 less games than the field) which has its own issues as you look at RPI/SoS with even less cross conference play and total games.
The solution might be to expand the number of Wednesday play-in games. The NCAA opposes expanding the number of playoff teams because, I understand, they feel that would include too high a percentage of all D1 teams. But it would be worth doing, in my opinion, to eliminate complaints from the "bubble out" teams currently excluded.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Anyone know Longs injury? Talented kid, shame he can’t seem to stay healthy.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Redman2 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:45 am Wish Goldstein took a more aggressive role. He was able to beat his defender and solve the Carroll riddle the few times he stepped forward. He seems to defer to older guys
I agree. Goldstein was particularly passive in the first half, but was effective dodging from behind in the second.

Thank you Big Red for a fine season, no matter what the Sunday night selection outcome.

A couple random thoughts not already mentioned. Neither midfield line was effective last night against a great Penn defense, goalie and game plan. However the first line has been effective throughout the year. We do need more consistent production from the second line. Nikolic has gained confidence and can score, but can also press and force passes or ill-conceived shots. He is talented and wants to get to the cage and will learn from his mistakes. Dalton is a smart player, unfortunately all left, not a dodger, but is an opportunistic sniper. Holmes showed the speed to separate, and finally got a goal on a hard shot. In my mind, he ought to replace 28 as the starter on the second line and look more aggressively for his shot, which based on last night has improved in velocity and accuracy.

We don't get many emo opportunities, but need to capitalize more frequently. As noted elsewhere spacing was bad and multi minute unreleasables were wasted. The absence of Long was very obvious. I also don't think 23 has been effective on the emo as he was last year, and I'd like to see somebody who can be more of an offensive threat.

People have mentioned Gilmartin's superb play all season and very obviously last night. He was a very high scoring o mid in HS and could do the same for us-- except he quickly transitioned to a great defensive player. If Smith, Bozzi, and Box stay healthy, what a luxury it would be to let 77 play offense. There is an under the radar recruit, Jimmy Troy, who has been a lock down d mid in HS. I also thought Jaxon Smart had great potential as a d mid, but did not see him on the field at all this year and wonder if he was injured. And if 77 was on offense and got caught in defense, he'd be an asset, not liability. Probably a pipe dream though to switch him given our question marks at ssdm and his great play there.

In addition to 77, Staub has been a late season stand out. He looks faster, plays aggressively, and is great off the ground.

The future is bright-- hopefully it's not all next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”